• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alt Right Combo meal: Bannon, Milo, Coulter to speak at "Free Speech" at UC Berkeley

legacyzero

Banned
That was your line? Nothing he did or said before that, huh?

Interesting.

I dont commonly make a fuss, nor should anyone else make a fuss if somebody has opposing views. Even conservative or toxic ones (though I recently evolved on the #PunchANazi movement. Punch away.).

I say- So what? A person with opposing and shitty views has a platform? I would argue that our protests and demonstrations further boost these assholes on a larger scale, creating an unintentional larger gaze than I feel they're worth. Milo and Berkley were the perfect example. The protest/riots there not only emboldened Milo, it caused a sort of Streisand Effect, giving him more national exposure. It LITERALLY worked against us. He was on national news giving interviews and spreading his filth literally that same night while holed up in his hotel.

I'll go even further. If these fucks want debate, and a platform, well then fuck it! FACE THEM. What have you got to worry about? Better ideas always float to the top. Our ideas and beliefs are CLEARLY better. So what the fuck are you worried about? Our problems is- shouting down, silencing, and violent protests wont win that debate. At all. And certainly pitting dumb fucks like Cenk Uygur of TYT against anti-trans asshole Ben Shapiro at Politicon wont do it either.

Im just saying. Our current tactics: do any of us really think that'll change minds? That'll it'll suddenly make these people feel like their stance on things is wrong? It hasn't, and it wont. I think they're all detestable. But I'll get in the fucking ring and show them just how fucking bad their ideas are.

I say- So what? A person with opposing and shitty views has a platform? I would argue that our protests and demonstrations further boost these assholes on a larger scale, creating an unintentional larger gaze than I feel they're worth. Milo and Berkley were the perfect example. The protest/riots there not only emboldened Milo, it caused a sort of Streisand Effect, giving him more national exposure. It LITERALLY worked against us. He was on national news giving interviews and spreading his filth literally that same night while holed up in his hotel.
All it accomplished was to trash parts of downtown Berkeley for nothing. Smashed windows, destroyed ATMS and of course, for no reason that I can think of, the Starbucks.

It was a shitty look, and counter-productive, and its why these folks want to book appearances here.

All it accomplished was to trash parts of downtown Berkeley for nothing. Smashed windows, destroyed ATMS and of course, for no reason that I can think of, the Starbucks.

It was a shitty look, and counter-productive.

Rioting is bad optics, but there's plenty of reading material that explains it. So "for no reason that I can think of" kind of makes me think you haven't done that reading.

https://wagingnonviolence.org/featu...t-mlk-would-have-said-about-the-london-riots/

Rioting is bad optics, but there's plenty of reading material that explains it. So "for no reason that I can think of" kind of makes me think you haven't done that reading.

https://wagingnonviolence.org/featu...t-mlk-would-have-said-about-the-london-riots/
Starbucks was the "for no reason" part, not that the other destruction made much sense. As far as I know it has nothing to do with Milo, except that maybe he likes their coffee. And this was shortly after Starbucks announced a refugee hiring program amid all the chaos of Trump trying to enact his ban. But hey, fuck em.

Was it the unheard making a statement for a cause that they couldn't through any other means? Or was it opportunists who just wanted to fuck some shit up? I think it was the latter.

Honestly, this is one time where I firmly believe it would be better for everyone to stay home and ignore them. Or better yet, hold another, more interesting competing event elsewhere where people could focus on something else.

legacyzero

Banned

When you're breaking the windows of one of the most Liberal businesses in the country (so far as I know), I'm not sure you're really selling the message. At least to the people who need to hear it. Do it at Wal Mart or something LOL

Riposte

"Mizzou invites Assata Shakur to speak on campus"

IMAGINE the shitstorm following that!

Wouldn't she just get immediately arrested since she's on the FBI most wanted list? Sounds like a trap.

EDIT:
Ryan Lenz from SPLC speaking at Berkley about handling Alt-right nonsense, etc.

(has been going for a while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzS_TjCBP0g

Listening to this now, this guy sounds very ACLU - pro-free speech/first amendment, anti-street violence/black bloc.

Rootbeer

Banned
I live near UCB and i'm just about exhausted from all these free speech events and their (very understandable) backlash disrupting the entire culture of my city. I can't stand the speakers and hope this is the last round for a good long while.

Already seeing lots of posters of Milo and Banon posted at bus stops advertising the event being defaced. Wonder how this is all going to go down. After recent protests I have trouble believing people will ignore the presence of the speakers, despite what some officials are trying to promote.

Milo's new teeth are hilarious too. Got them veneers in just in time for this event I see.

Buy all the tickets

Turn your backs to them as they speak

No need to disrupt or cause violence.

Or just play extremely loud trap music when they are trying to speak if even is outside.

cromofo

Rioting is entirely subjective/interpretation. People counter-protesting fascists? Rioters. Neo-Nazi's marching down the street spewing racial epitaphs and hate speech? Plenty of fine people.

"Counter-protesting" as in breaking and thrashing the streets is rioting. Simple.

Or you think doing so is protesting fascists, which is stupid.

"Counter-protesting" as in breaking and thrashing the streets is rioting. Simple.

Unlike driving an automobile through a crowd of people and smashing up a few cars on the way. Or having several people gang up on and beat black people while yelling racist remarks at them.

Also, as for the event itself, what is with the Alt-Right/Far Right's hard on for doing events at Berkeley? It's never like a speech at University of Minnesota or Washington State, it's always gotta be UC Berkeley...

Battle of Berkeley v2?

Gonna be interesting

Police seemed much more aware and engaged when Ben Shapiro visited the campus last week. Hearing the city is spending seven figures on security and Milo is bringing 16 navy seals as a security detail for the guests.

The city paid $600,000 in security fees for Ben Shapiro to speak on campus last week.

cromofo

Police seemed much more aware and engaged when Ben Shapiro visited the campus last week. Hearing the city is spending seven figures on security and Milo is bringing 16 navy seals as a security detail for the guests.

The city paid $600,000 in security fees for Ben Shapiro to speak on campus last week.

What? lol

Mask

Someone should pop up with a big boombox and play the part of the podcast where Milo defended child molestation on repeat, very loudly. See how long he can ignore that.

Unsurprising how quickly the right let a (now homeless) advocate for child molestation into their midst. Truly morally bankrupt.

Antifa, do your thing.

Top Bottom