• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
To the surprise of no one, Milo Yiannopoulos's 'alt-right'
nazi
speech at UC Berkeley has been cancelled. This is the third one IIRC, UC Davis, Seattle, and now here that's been cut short or cancelled by protests. There's a fire that was started, and the police are trying to get the crowd to disperse.

BREAKING: Police radio reports say speech by Milo Yiannopoulos has been cancelled as protesters clash with police. #UCBerkeley
https://twitter.com/KenWayneKTVU/status/826974237759909888

Livestream here
http://www.ktvu.com/ktvu-livestream-2

Magwik

Banned
One of the people on CNN referred to the protests as Nazi-like and that Milo has the right for his voice to be heard. I'm so fucking done with this shit.

They're resisting pretty hard, it looked like some of the protestors had makeshift riot shields. Hope everyone stays safe.

Protest all the events, he shouldn't feel welcome anywhere.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Protesters-storm-Milo-Yiannopoulos-event-at-UC-10901829.php

After a protest at UC Berkeley turned violent, campus officials announced that a scheduled speech by right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled.

The Breitbart News editor was set to deliver a speech inside a UC Berkeley campus building but hundreds of protesters began throwing fireworks and pulling down the barricades police set up to keep people from rushing into the building.

The Berkeley Police Department said people were throwing bricks, smoking objects, and fireworks at police officers. Protesters took down a light pole and the building where the event was to be held had windows broken.

”This is what tolerance looks like at UC Berkeley," said Mike Wright, a Berkeley College Republican member said as smoke bombs went off around him. Someone threw red paint on him.

Protesters argued that hate speech isn't free speech, countering the university's explanation — free speech — on why it allowed the event to go on as scheduled.

Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at the campus by the Berkeley College Republicans, a student group that was warned Tuesday by university officials that the event could result in the targeting of undocumented students. Yiannopoulos, an editor for the right-wing Breitbart News website, was expected to use the event in Berkeley to kick off a campaign against ”sanctuary campuses" that have vowed to protect undocumented students as President Trump cracks down on illegal immigration.

Three lines of zip-tied metal fencing separated the crowd of protesters from campus police officers who had secured the building where Yiannopoulos is speaking. Protesters held ”We reject a fascist America" and derided Yiannopoulos as a mouthpiece for President Trump.

Campus police were intent on avoiding a repeat of the chaos at UC Davis on Jan. 13, when protesters overwhelmed their barricades and shut down Yiannopoulos' speech.

”It's not a question of free speech," a protester said via megaphone, riling up the hundreds of protesters in attendance. ”It's about real human beings."

https://twitter.com/UCPD_Cal/status/826978649341440000

UC Police, Berkeley
‏@UCPD_Cal

.@UCBerkeley Milo event cancelled. Shelter in place if on campus. All campus buildings on lockdown. #miloatcal

6:20 PM - 1 Feb 2017

Protein

Banned
One of the people on CNN referred to the protests as Nazi-like and that Milo has the right for his voice to be heard. I'm so fucking done with this shit.

This is the sentiment to alot of people I know. They dismiss these protests as riots, regardless if a few dudes dressed in black are the ones breaking shit.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah if someone wants to have that conversation: fine, whatever, go for it. But pick a better case to fight over. How can anyone even pretend to care about respecting this Milo jerkoff?

It's sad that people need to get to near violent levels to keep this fuckbag of a human from being able to spew his shit at colleges. Yes yes, free speech, but at some point you need to stop and look at what is being said, and determine if its worth giving a platform to begin with.

Aequitas

As a student at Berkeley, I don't think Milo is worth it. If no one gave this man attention, he would just be another racist yelling at the clouds.

Edit: really happy the event is canceled though!

Cyan

Banned
Yeah if someone wants to have that conversation: fine, whatever, go for it. But pick a better case to fight over. How can anyone even pretend to care about respecting this Milo jerkoff?

Right? I remember a few protests like this when I was at school, which sometimes made me uncomfortable on that basis. Shouting down other points of view rather than explaining why they were wrong just didn't seem right.

But like, I can't manage to summon up an iota of care over this guy. He doesn't have anything to say. He's just another Shkreli, someone who delights in being a giant pile of shit.

Brakke

Banned
Why do these places keep inviting this guy?

Don't use pronouns if you don't understand a thing. What do you think "these places" means?

It's not like the Cal administrators set this visit up. And for most public universities, the administration can't ban a speaker unless there's some security concern.

Not

Banned
Great. There should still be zero tolerance for these guys outside of the holes they crawled out from.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why do these places keep inviting this guy?

He went to Berkeley? Who invited him there?

He was invited to UC Berkeley?

From the article I linked to in my previous post:

Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at the campus by the Berkeley College Republicans, a student group that was warned Tuesday by university officials that the event could result in the targeting of undocumented students. Yiannopoulos, an editor for the right-wing Breitbart News website, was expected to use the event in Berkeley to kick off a campaign against ”sanctuary campuses" that have vowed to protect undocumented students as President Trump cracks down on illegal immigration.

Proud to be a Cal Alumni. The BCR were always a bunch of shits. They did their "affirmative action" bakesale while I was there and this seems like another stupid ploy to get attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom