• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

nah fuck that. the only thing these people know is violence. holding hands and singing isn't going to do shit.

this anchor on the stream doesn't seem to connect the idea that the black bloc are most likely students too.

I am so tired of seeing this sentiment everywhere, as if republicans wouldn't dehumanize, discredit and criticize people if we'd only just sit down and make sure we don't get upset. They create the fuel regardless of anyone's actions, if people wanna go out there and riot to defend themselves I'm not gonna stop them. I've gone past my limit for tolerance and understanding.

Learn this lesson well:

No one gives a flying shit about how Republicans will spin things anymore.

They've spun so much that people stopped caring.

The fuck am I reading here? I absolutely agree that Republicans and conservatives will spin whatever shit they can, but at least in those arguments we're standing on actual firm ground and we can call them out on their bullshit.

When they bring up that in these protests we are destroying property and putting innocent lives at risk, then they have a legitimate point and will persuade independents and moderate liberals to shy away from the left.

I'm not saying holding hands, I'm saying keep doing what we did with the Women's Marc or with the protests at airports around and governemnt buildings around the world and less of this. I understand that people outside of the protest come just to ruin and riot which paints everything in a bad light, but to those who were protesting but ended up getting out of control ya'll need to slow your roll.

III-V

As a student at Berkeley, I don't think Milo is worth it. If no one gave this man attention, he would just be another racist yelling at the clouds.

Edit: really happy the event is canceled though!

Yelling at clouds? They have turned the US upside down since the election and will continue to move into a more centralized position of power as DJT continues to promote and bolster their efforts and agendas.

Id say the shit has hit the fan.

hawk2025

It would have been far better if he was allowed to speak and almost no one attended. Now he is going to claim he is being persecuted.

Again -- no one gives a flying shit. He can keep playing the victim. The "don't pay attention to him" battle has been clearly pointless, since these people clearly do not understand it.

It's like some of you guys have paid zero attention this past decade.

Droplet

Proud to be a Cal Alumni. The BCR were always a bunch of shits. They did their "affirmative action" bakesale while I was there and this seems like another stupid ploy to get attention.

They had the Trump cutout on Sproul after he got nominated too. The administration sent out an email as to why they couldn't ban Milo from speaking earlier, but I think it was pretty obvious to most that we were going to end up with riots of some form today.

I'm more than willing to bet that the smoke bombs came from BAMN though.

hughesta

Banned
stop fucking giving hateful people a platform to preach their shitty message, holy shit I am so fed up with this asshole

majik13

Sucks it had to resort to such intensity, but its Berkeley, man, what the hell did they expect was going to happen? Unless this is what they hopes for.

Deepwater

The fuck am I reading here? I absolutely agree that Republicans and conservatives will spin whatever shit they can, but at least in those arguments we're standing on actual firm ground and we can call them out on their bullshit.

When they bring up that in these protests we are destroying property and putting innocent lives at risk, then they have a legitimate point and will persuade independents and moderate liberals to shy away from the left.

I'm not saying holding hands, I'm saying keep doing what we did with the Women's Marc or with the protests at airports around and governemnt buildings around the world and less of this. I understand that people outside of the protest come just to ruin and riot which paints everything in a bad light, but to those who were protesting but ended up getting out of control ya'll need to slow your roll.

Won't somebody please think of the moderates who could be sympathetic to white supremacists!

hawk2025

Go to Breitbart, and see how the airport protests were reported.

I'll wait.

I am NOT defending breaking shit. I would never do it. I'm telling you other people are already past the point you are trying desperately to cling to. You need to understand this, because it's going to keep happening.

College Clubs aren't really swimming money. Like at all. I used to run a college club and it was barely anything. I'm talking about in something like 200 bucks or something.

It's why clubs do bake sales and other fundraisers.

The Berkeley College Republicans, at least when I went there, were a pretty well off bunch. It's not hard to imagine they fundraised the speaker fee just by their members alone.

I absolutely abhor Milo with every fiber of my body and was proud of my campus UC Davis for standing up to him earlier. However, rioting and destruction of property is not the way to go and it only gives Republicans like the one quoted in the sfgate article more fuel to criticize us as uncivilized or crazy and discredit us.

🙄🙄🙄

game-boi

Would be really rad for that college club to pay for the damage done due to them inviting a piece of shit to their campus.

99nikniht

Idea:

Defund the Republican club.

-As already covered by entrement, the clubs at colleges gets an annual Associated Students budget, it's somewhere around 500 to 1000 for the year, though my figures can be wildly off. The Campus Republican Club here on campus gets money through other means like fundraising. They have the money to foot the bill and also the security costs that the campus demands of speakers that are inherently inflammatory.

Maybe schools should stop giving platforms to people who would be best friends with Hitler. Get that fucker out of there.

Unfortunately the campus cannot outright deny anyone (even the likes of Milo) to practice free speech as long as he is invited to talk by an club or any entity on campus. I unfortunately know the club president of the Republican Club, whom I suspect personally invited that asshole to come speak here.

necrosis

awesome

milo needs to be recognized as dangerous to have on campuses and banned from stepping foot on them in the future

-As already covered by entrement, the clubs at colleges gets an annual Associated Students budget, it's somewhere around 500 to 1000 for the year, though my figures can be wildly off. The Campus Republican Club here on campus gets money through other means like fundraising. They have the money to foot the bill and also the security costs that the campus demands of speakers that are inherently inflammatory.

Unfortunately the campus cannot outright deny anyone (even the likes of Milo) to practice free speech as long as he is invited to talk by an club or any entity on campus. I unfortunately know the club president of the Republican Club, whom I suspect personally invited that asshole to come speak here.

Why does the university have to let this dude speak on their property? Why couldn't they make the republican club book a room at the convention center or something? That would solve the problem.

Strike

Good. Him and the rest of the alt-right can fuck off right back under whatever slimy rock they crawled out from.

Ogodei

SCOTUS disagrees.

It sure is protected.

The caveat is what the protection means. It protects from government prosecution.

It still shouldn't be. If we need an amendment to end the propagation of explicitly hateful ideologies (or even just stringent laws against online bullying, doxxing, and related harassment), then that's what we need.

LiK

One thing Trump and the alt-right dipshits have done is that they def gotten the majority to come out and act.

linkboy

CNN has his Facebook post up, apparently we on the left are afraid of free speech.

He can fuck off for all I care.

entremet

It still shouldn't be. If we need an amendment to end the propagation of explicitly hateful ideologies (or even just stringent laws against online bullying, doxxing, and related harassment), then that's what we need.

Those are many different things you're mentioning there.

Who classifies what's hateful? I know other countries have hate speech laws, personally I don't want them in the US.

Look at Trump's Administration, with his current Congress. Do you trust them if they start pushing hate speech statutes? Not me.

I would rather the keep First Amendment as is. I know there are exceptions--Yelling Fire In Crowded Theatre. Death Threats, etc.

tfur

In America? Of course it is.

Violent protests, rioting? Pursuing violent means to silence someones right to free speech?

Pretty sad to see the home of the free speech movement go down to violence against free speech.
I am now seeing antifa people and flags in the group now on the news....

rpmurphy

The only problem is that this isn't a sufficiently organized revolt yet. Leftists and anyone who believes in liberal ideology needs to learn to organize and fight again, not be shackled by self-enforced double standards that the alt-right gives absolutely zero fucks about and will have law enforcement on their side.

99nikniht

Did you have a huge problem with Boston Tea Party protestors dumping barrels that had to be recuperated by the buyers somehow?

Haha how is this in anyway comparable? One is an act of rebellion that lead to the revolutionary war, and here, we have an asshole that is getting more publicity so that his sympathizers will come out to support and help him earn more money?
I'm not quite sure what is the best possible course of action here is, but breaking property of the campus (by non-students) is not one I necessarily support.

Deepwater

In America? Of course it is.

Violent protests, rioting? Pursuing violent means to silence someones right to free speech?

Okay, but lets talk about the speech being silenced, in context. You're gravely naive if you think all speech is the same nor that it should be tolerated (non violently or not) by a society.

You have two ways to look at this situation

1. Protestors violently shut down a speaker because they didn't like the content of their speech.

2. Protestors violently shut down a speaker because the speaker spouts white nationalist rhetoric.

Let's not tow the line and discuss what's "legal" here or not. If people got arrested for breaking the shit fine, that's part of the deal when you decide to go out there. But If you think white supremacist rhetoric deserves or is entitled to a platform, please say so.

Droplet

Why does the university have to let this dude speak on their property? Why couldn't they make the republican club book a room at the convention center or something? That would solve the problem.

I mean, if you want the reason we were sent:

Since the announcement of Mr. Yiannopoulos’s visit, we have received many requests that we ban him from campus and cancel the event. Although we have responded to these requests directly, we would like to explain to the entire campus community why the event will be held as planned. First, from a legal perspective, the U.S. Constitution prohibits UC Berkeley, as a public institution, from banning expression based on its content or viewpoints, even when those viewpoints are hateful or discriminatory. Long-standing campus policy permits registered student organizations to invite speakers to campus and to make free use of meeting space in the Student Union for that purpose. As mentioned, the BCR is the host of this event, and therefore it is only they who have the authority to disinvite Mr. Yiannopoulos. Consistent with the dictates of the First Amendment as uniformly and decisively interpreted by the courts, the University cannot censor or prohibit events, or charge differential fees. Some have asked us whether attacks on individuals are also protected. In fact, critical statements and even the demeaning ridicule of individuals are largely protected by the Constitution; in this case, Yiannopoulos’s past words and deeds do not justify prior restraint on his freedom of expression or the cancellation of the event.

Berkeley is the home of the Free Speech Movement, and the commitment to free expression is embedded in our Principles of Community as the commitment “to ensur(e) freedom of expression and dialogue that elicits the full spectrum of views held by our varied communities.” As a campus administration, we have honored this principle by defending the right of community members who abide by our campus rules to express a wide range of often-conflicting points of view. We have gone so far as to defend in court the constitutional rights of students of all political persuasions to engage in unpopular expression on campus. Moreover, we are defending the right to free expression at an historic moment for our nation, when this right is once again of paramount importance. In this context, we cannot afford to undermine those rights, and feel a need to make a spirited defense of the principle of tolerance, even when it means we tolerate that which may appear to us as intolerant.

But really, it doesn't matter where he would have spoken. As long as he was at Berkeley somewhere we would have gotten protests.

Xyrmellon

I know Milo is reviled on GAF, but I have watched hours of his college speeches on YouTube and never have I come across anything close to nazi speech. He is definitely Republican and pro-Trump, but I guess Republican=nazi is the new narrative. In fact, in many of the college speeches I've viewed, he has let those opposed to him make their point and ask questions as long as they've been somewhat civil. He can be a troll just to stir the pot, but I think it's pretty obvious when he's trying to get a rise out of people.

gdt

As always, people never understand how free speech actually works, it seems.

And fuck it, riot. Straight up White Supremacists have taken over our country. Playing nice did fuck all.

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom