• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

I absolutely abhor Milo with every fiber of my body and was proud of my campus UC Davis for standing up to him earlier. However, rioting and destruction of property is not the way to go and it only gives Republicans like the one quoted in the sfgate article more fuel to criticize us as uncivilized or crazy and discredit us.

rjinaz

"Hate speech" is not protected under freedom of speech.

We all have our limits.

I think it is?

It shouldn't be though. Either way, nobody has a right to a platform. He can stand on a public sidewalk and say his hate if he wants and people can also protest that to shut him up.

UberTag

One of the people on CNN referred to the protests as Nazi-like and that Milo has the right for his voice to be heard. I'm so fucking done with this shit.
The press need to stop normalizing white supremacists and hate speech.
Also, Jeffrey Lord needs to be fired.

kevin1025

Banned
That generator fire was nuts.

Good on them for taking up arms and protesting, not so good on them taking it too far.

entremet

I think it is?

It shouldn't be though. Either way, nobody has a right to a platform. He can stand on a public sidewalk and say his hate if he wants and people can also protest that to shut him up.

It is protected. Milo is not going to face prosecution for what he has said. Nor will Richard Spencer.

I absolutely abhor Milo with every fiber of my body and was proud of my campus UC Davis for standing up to him earlier. However, rioting and destruction of property is not the way to go and it only gives Republicans like the one quoted in the sfgate article more fuel to criticize us as uncivilized or crazy and discredit us.

nah fuck that. the only thing these people know is violence. holding hands and singing isn't going to do shit.

this anchor on the stream doesn't seem to connect the idea that the black bloc are most likely students too.

Deepwater

I was hoping I would have made it into the thread before the property safety commission got in formation but looks like I was too late.

Good for those folk at UCB

I am so tired of seeing this sentiment everywhere, as if republicans wouldn't dehumanize, discredit and criticize people if we'd only just sit down and make sure we don't get upset. They create the fuel regardless of anyone's actions, if people wanna go out there and riot to defend themselves I'm not gonna stop them. I've gone past my limit for tolerance and understanding.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
lol this dipshit tried to speak at Cal? Hahaha fuck off.
*my_man_denzel.gif*

Edit: also I am assuming his goal was to get it cancelled via protest. nothing better to raise his profile further with his nazi demographic

hawk2025

Learn this lesson well:

No one gives a flying shit about how Republicans will spin things anymore.

They've spun so much that people stopped caring.

Moosichu

As a student at Berkeley, I don't think Milo is worth it. If no one gave this man attention, he would just be another racist yelling at the clouds.

Edit: really happy the event is canceled though!

You do realise these 'racists yelling at clouds' now control all facets of American governance because of their hate speech right?

99nikniht

I attend school here at Cal, I think Milo is a deplorable piece of shit that should crawl back into his hole as soon as humanly possible. However I have a huge problem with the protest breaking shit that will cost the school money that can go to different programs that students here need.

hawk2025

I attend school here at Cal, I think Milo is a deplorable piece of shit that should crawl back into his hold as soon as humanly possible. However I have a huge problem with the protest breaking shit that will cost the school money that can go to different programs that students here need.

Idea:

Defund the Republican club.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Well they fucked up that Amazon store or whatever it is.

entremet

Idea:

Defund the Republican club.

College Clubs aren't really swimming money. Like at all. I used to run a college club and it was barely anything. I'm talking about in something like 200 bucks or something.

It's why clubs do bake sales and other fundraisers.

Tovarisc

I didn't catch who it was, but in CNN's live coverage one of talking heads compared this to nazis. "Something what nazis do" level of comment.

I attend school here at Cal, I think Milo is a deplorable piece of shit that should crawl back into his hold as soon as humanly possible. However I have a huge problem with the protest breaking shit that will cost the school money that can go to different programs that students here need.

Maybe schools should stop giving platforms to people who would be best friends with Hitler. Get that fucker out of there.

lol this dipshit tried to speak at Cal? Hahaha fuck off.
For no other reason than to spark outrage. Getting a speech canceled is the best outcome for Milo. Extra press and no work.

Plus more footage of protesters, which is an excellent marketing tool for reaching his demographic of angry contrarians.

hawk2025

College Clubs aren't really swimming money. Like at all. I used to run a college club and it was barely anything. I'm talking about in something like 200 bucks or something.

It's why clubs do bake sales and other fundraisers.

Every little bit helps :)

Aequitas

You do realise these 'racists yelling at clouds' now control all facets of American governance because of their hate speech right?

No, I haven't been keeping up at all with politics 🙃

What I'm saying is Milo gets a lot of attention solely because of protests. I doubt mainstream media would pay any mind to the fool if only his supporters cared.

Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at the campus by the Berkeley College Republicans, a student group that was warned Tuesday by university officials that the event could result in the targeting of undocumented students.

Why would you tell them that? That probably made having him come speak even more appealing to them.

Did you have a huge problem with Boston Tea Party protestors dumping barrels that had to be recuperated by the buyers somehow?

David___

Banned
Violently protesting against free speech, huh?
edit: wrong one lol
VM6ODxq.png

This happens enough times, schools won't want to let him on campus for fear of riots and property damage. Let him hold his own shitty private events. Make him and his terrible followers pay for it.

Deepwater

Maybe schools should stop giving platforms to people who would be best friends with Hitler. Get that fucker out of there.

why do these supid colleges keep inviting dickheads to do speaches?

Protip: don't invite assholes, especially huge trolls

Usually university departments don't invite people like Milo, student clubs do. And because they usually use their own funds for it, the University really can't say "no this person you're paying for can't come"

Although this isn't the first time to happen to a Milo event, so really Universities should start considering it a safety issue to be have him speak on their campuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom