• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck Milo; a racist, college dropout with nothing to offer.

Universities that give these clowns a platform for them to speak is lunacy and they should be ashamed. They are normalizing the alt-right by allowing this.

This is the only way to stop them.
I'd say to all the protesters, see Milo or any of the Trump supporters or alt-right Nazis, punch them in the face, get aggressive and attack, pushing back physically is our only way to win this. Those low lives deserve it.

III-V

Universities that give these clowns a platform for them to speak is lunacy and they should be ashamed. They are normalizing the alt-right by allowing this.

Universities are to blame?

Dontcha think its a little late when POTUS has already normalized them?

Droplet

I'm getting texts to just straight up evacuate the area. Usually it takes a couple days to escalate to this point.

I'd say to all the protesters, see Milo or any of the Trump supporters or alt-right Nazis, punch them in the face, get aggressive and attack, pushing back physically is our only way to win this. Those low lives deserve it.

Or, as the Shia livestream has shown, literally stand up to them at all and they crumple like a paper tiger.

entremet

Eh.

That doesn't work when everyone is in jail, bro.

I'm not crying over Richard Spencer. It was funny. But that's a terrible long term strategy.

theWB27

Haha how is this in anyway comparable? One is an act of rebellion that lead to the revolutionary war, and here, we have an asshole that is getting more publicity so that his sympathizers will come out to support and help him earn more money?
I'm not quite sure what is the best possible course of action here is, but breaking property of the campus (by non-students) is not one I necessarily support.

Its fucking hilarious Ya'll keep bringing up tv fame as if making sure he doesn't get that is more important than people, in person, showing him his rhetoric isn't wanted.

You don't have to support the damage to support the meaning of fighting back against some racist ideaologies.

If you don't know the best course then stop shitting on the one being taken now.

Bowler

I guess I don't really know much about him other then what gaf has said about him. But just doing quick Google search leans that he toes the line of Republican and altright. I don't really see the nazi angle.

A gay man, that has serious issues with feminism, and transgender. Seems like the type of person that only wants attention, and says what ever to get trigger responces. Can anyone point to where he goes full on white supremacy and nazi?

Orayn

Eh.

That doesn't work when everyone is in jail, bro.

I'm not crying over Richard Spencer. It was funny. But that's a terrible long term strategy.

It's a great strategy, you just need to keep doing it until these CHUDs are too scared to leave the sewers.

Make racists afraid again.

99nikniht

Universities are not the institutions that are giving these clowns platforms, organizations like the repub club on campus are the ones that are giving him a platform, and the repub club are also the people that booked the room on campus to give him a platform. The repub. club here are campus are full of deplorable people, but the university itself cannot promote free speech while also disallow the right to free speech by others, even the likes of deplorable people like Milo and other hate speech mongers.

Moosichu

I guess I don't really know much about him other then what gaf has said about him. But just doing quick Google search leans that he toes the line of Republican and altright. I don't really see the nazi angle.

A gay man, that has serious issues with feminism, and transgender. Seems like the type of person that only wants attention, and says what ever to get trigger responces. Can anyone point to where he goes full on white supremacy and nazi?

alt-right = white supremacy

They are synonyms

99nikniht

Its fucking hilarious Ya'll keep bringing up tv fame as if making sure he doesn't get that is more important than people, in person, showing him his rhetoric isn't wanted.

You don't have to support the damage to support the meaning of fighting back against some racist ideaologies.

If you don't know the best course then stop shitting on the one being taken now.

Giving him more free publicity is going to be help us how? Bear in mind that part of the reason why we have the retard as our commander in chief due to the fact that he received a shit ton of free publicity from the circus we call the news networks. Again, I'm not disheartened by the fact that his talk is cancelled, but at the same time the destruction caused by rioters will only increase the burden on the campus to provide services for their students.

It's a great strategy, you just need to keep doing it until these CHUDs are too scared to leave the sewers.

Make racists afraid again.
This exactly.
You have to get physically violent towards those Nazis and white supremacists. Remember, it is OK to punch a Nazi. Make them afraid. Very very afraid. Fuck em.

LiK

What an embarrassment. Shutting down free speech. The America the left wants.

tumblr_inline_mpbfqxnEjy1qz4rgp.gif

rjinaz

I know Milo is reviled on GAF, but I have watched hours of his college speeches on YouTube and never have I come across anything close to nazi speech. He is definitely Republican and pro-Trump, but I guess Republican=nazi is the new narrative. In fact, in many of the college speeches I've viewed, he has let those opposed to him make their point and ask questions as long as they've been somewhat civil. He can be a troll just to stir the pot, but I think it's pretty obvious when he's trying to get a rise out of people.

Is this true? I'm curious now how bad Milo really is. Anybody got receipts?

theWB27

Giving him more free publicity is going to be help us how? Bear in mind that part of the reason why we have the retard as our commander in chief due to the fact that he received a shit ton of free publicity from the circus we call the news networks. Again, I'm not disheartened by the fact that his talk is cancelled, but at the same time the destruction caused by rioters will only increase the burden on the campus to provide services for their students.

They're getting the publicity whether we twiddle our thumbs or fight back.

Instead of twiddle your thumbs and watch it advance you put up a fight and see what happens.

Complacency, because of the fame they get regardless, isn't an answer. People trying to squash action without a plan isn't helping. At all

99nikniht

I think him throwing a tantrum in an empty auditorium would be far more effective and humiliating.

I'm with you, I was joking around with my TA earlier about how it would be awesome if someone can convince a billionaire around here to buy all the tickets so he can talk into an empty room. That sounds much more effective than to keep giving him the attention that he is exploiting for monetary gains.

Carl2291

You don't know what free speech is.

Hint the government isn't silencing his speech.

And these "protesters" are trying to send a message to the government, they want his right to free speech taken away because of what he talks about. Isn't that the whole point of the protests against the alt-right?

This has gone far beyond a simple protest anyway. Anarchists and the violent liberals have taken over.

Bowler

Fuck him, and fuck you if you think this neo-nazi sack of shit is worth defending.

Damn, I was just asking for links on what he says that put him into the nazi camp. By allears if this was a Spencer speech then I would totally agree with you. But I just can't find anything via google where milo falls into that same tent

Universities are to blame?

Dontcha think its a little late when POTUS has already normalized them?

In this case, it was poor judgement by the Univeristy in question. Academic institutions are usually the last refuge. If they cave, it's over.

Forget the president for a moment, this is a bigger problem. He will last at most 8 years but this "alt-right" will be a lifelong problem for everyone.

It's fine to debate people and maintain freedom of speech, but there has to be some credibility to the speaker/presented/evidence.

If that were not the case, I could go to a diploma mill and travel around the country preaching that the world is flat and science is a belief system.

Berkeley student here. Doubt that the property destruction started with the students. There's various anarchist groups in the area and odds are they started it. In my opinion, we had enough warnings about this guy. He got the reaction he wanted.

rjinaz

And these "protesters" are trying to send a message to the government, they want his right to free speech taken away because of what he talks about. Isn't that the whole point of the protests against the alt-right?

This has gone far beyond a simple protest anyway. Anarchists and the violent liberals have taken over.

That's not the message. Unless you can show me signs saying to arrest/jail that man, and the majority have them.

Most protesters, I would argue 99% are completely peaceful. You have a couple of shit people that should be arrested and for you it's the anarchists are taking over oh noes!

hawk2025

I'm with you, I was joking around with my TA earlier about how it would be awesome if someone can convince a billionaire around here to buy all the tickets so he can talk into an empty room. That sounds much more effective than to keep giving him the attention that he is exploiting for monetary gains.

Here's the thing:

What you are saying is a silly dream that will never happen and has never happened in the history of mankind.

What happened today is reality. People have boots on their necks, and they want out.

Yes!!!! Fuck these guys.
This. This is exactly what we all need to do. When you're in school or at work, any Trump assholes or alt-right fuckers you see, fuck em up. Fuck these guys up real good so they'll think twice about pulling this shit ever again.

Cyframe

The college republican club should be held responsible for the damages. If they want to invite a hate monger into a campus and something like this happens, it's on them (the club should also be suspended). In addition, students, who are targeted by Milo's rhetoric should be able to bring suit not only against the college republican club but the school as well.

Freedom of Speech doesn't strip away things like Title IX federal law, and Milo has targeted women at his speeches and even caused a trans woman to leave school because she felt unsafe.

This sort of reaction should be seen as civil conversations being had and failing. Milo doesn't want to listen, his supporters don't want to listen and this seems to be the only recourse to stop this type of hate.

It's unfortunate but this 'moderate' approach hasn't lead to the decrease in literal nazism, if anything the hand sitting has given them free reign to be even more overt. If you don't have anything to add than "chat to a white supremacist" then please refrain from taking a so called moral stance that has no grounding in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom