• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alt Right Combo meal: Bannon, Milo, Coulter to speak at "Free Speech" at UC Berkeley

snap

Banned
Why do only bigots and racist get free speech?

Who wants to still associate with Milo?

wonder if someone tried to do a pro-trans speech at one of those super conservative christian university

(who am i kidding the right wants the left to be open but would be aghast at the same being asked of them)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just bring air horns and drown out their speech.

Just curious, I hear this tactic but what would you do, or advocate, if a speaker you wanted to hear had this done to them, if there is a way to navigate it what makes you think they wont use those methods?

Just seems an oddly self defeating thing honestly.

Derwind

Now if someone wanted to do a "PoC nationalist/non-Christian/Anti-military/America sucks" speech movement on conservative campuses these three would be the first to say how anti American it is and should be stamped out.

Hell I imagine MANY folks would be against it.

I can see the responses already...

-"Why are they instigating, rather than building bridges?"
- "The message is too divisive."
- "The liberal agenda is going too far"
- "I feel like I need to share this very out-of-context <insert MLK quote here> to get my poorly constructed point across."

Trago

Now if someone wanted to do a "PoC nationalist/non-Christian/Anti-military/America sucks" speech movement on conservative campuses these three would be the first to say how anti American it is and should be stamped out.

Hell I imagine MANY folks would be against it.

That would be too perfect. Antifa should be invited to red states to speak.

raw

ReAxion

kinda surprised these people were contacted by someone with a name like that student and they actually answered it.

Kelsdesu

wonder if someone tried to do a pro-trans speech at one of those super conservative christian university

(who am i kidding the right wants the left to be open but would be aghast at the same being asked of them)

Why doesnt that happen? Why doesn't a pro choice advocate do a speech at one of those conservative colleges?

KoopaTheCasual

Very serious question:

Can you go to these rallies with nothing but Air-horns and Vuvuzelas?

Because if that's not a prohibited public display, drown these fuckers out with the wonderful cultural sounds of the Vuvuzela!

Monocle

Maybe if we all pray for rain, the Lord, in his infinite mercy, will send a meteor shower.

Worth a try.

Oh that pedo Milo's still around? I thought he disappeared forever after he crumbled his own image down.

Remember what a success Milo's last gig in Berkeley was?

God, if you've got any asteroids in the chamber, you've got a target.

Hey leave UC Berkeley out of this, too many important people in there to go down because of these clowns.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
College republicans

Ah yes. The same College Republicans who invite assholes like this trio because of Freeze Peach, are the same College Republicans who get "woe is me" articles written about them about how hard it is to be a Conservative in college and wonder why so many of their peers think they're assholes.

I don't think the $65,000 venue rental deposit will cover the cost of the damage protesters will likely cause. I wonder what the cost of damage was last time--looked expensive from videos.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So these universities that claim they are supporting free speech, to justify constantly giving such people a platform, isn't theee an endless supply of other things to talk about and other speakers to invite to speak about subjects? How do they come to the conclusion that those speakers and subjects should be given much of a priority at all?

TheContact

As long as it's not hate speech I'm not sure what the problem is. The first amendment goes both ways. If they're inciting violence or calling people the N word or other racial slurs or promoting white power then yes it needs to be shut down but what are they actually going up to talk about? Does anyone know? If it's hate speech they will be arrested.

Lois_Lane

As long as it's not hate speech I'm not sure what the problem is. The first amendment goes both ways. If they're inciting violence or calling people the N word or other racial slurs or promoting white power then yes it needs to be shut down but what are they actually going up to talk about? Does anyone know? If it's hate speech they will be arrested.
No they wouldn't. We don't have hate speech laws, which you should know since you sighted the 1st amendment.

snap

Banned
Why doesnt that happen? Why doesn't a pro choice advocate do a speech at one of those conservative colleges?

doesn't even need to be as liberal as a pro-choice advocate, a talk on accepting sex outside of marriage is extreme to these people:

Bob Jones University and Liberty University, both conservative private institutions, have codified prohibitions on transgender identities and sexual relations outside of heterosexual marriage of the Christian variety.

For example, the Liberty Way student honor code says, “Sexual relations outside of a biblically ordained marriage between a natural-born man and a natural-born woman are not permissible at Liberty University.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...may-run-afoul-obama-title-ix-protections-lgbt

I'm sure their students totally follow those guidelines and never break the rules. No siree.

Euron

"stifling conservative speech"

Hasn't Milo done shit like out trans students at his appearances? "Free speech" is a fucking smokescreen.
Yes, Milo has outed Trans students, targeted students as "illegals" after directly naming them, and insulted Muslim students. Free speech does not protect harassment and any university should see that tantrums from "Students for Liberty" are far better occurrences than the targeted harassment of their student body, which is inevitable with a Milo talk.

Frankly, the man should be banned from all speaking events for supporting pedophilia. But "family values" conservatives have shown their true colors.

Milo, in particular, is known for targeting and directing harassment at trans and Muslim students. People like Richard Spencer, Milo, David Duke have participated in dangerous hate speech and promote white power and aren't arrested because they aren't taken seriously as threats.

Yes it has since the 1940s

Also hate speech is currently protected by the First Amendment so even if this conference was just a string of slurs they wouldn't be arrested.

Tamanon

Banned
They only go to Cali because they know that's where they'd get news.

You don't see them speaking in the South too much.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Go protest en-masse and scare the shit out of the right wing
More like go protest en masse and give the right wing the exact shit storm they want.

Imagine if no one cared and this thing was merely attendeed by the 6 right wing nerds who go to Berkley.

Miletius

So these universities that claim they are supporting free speech, to justify constantly giving such people a platform, isn't theee an endless supply of other things to talk about and other speakers to invite to speak about subjects? How do they come to the conclusion that those speakers and subjects should be given much of a priority at all?

Berkeley is a huge campus with lots of other things going on all the time. Under normal circumstances there would be a lot of other speakers here, talking about pretty much everything. Free Speech Week, however, has caused a lot of problems on campus so I'm not sure that next week will be like other weeks here. There is even talk of cancelling classes, which, actually, I'm sure most students would love.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fully expecting/hoping Antifa to roll up and do the anti-facist thing in whatever form that takes
Yeah great. Like moths to the flame.

Realize that Bannon/Milo/Coulter are fully expecting/hoping the same thing.

commedieu

Banned
We need hate speech laws. These people just want to incite violence and remove the rights of other citizens. Other countries manage just fine.

As far as what if poc tried this, BLM, they're trying to make them a terrorist organization fpr saying stop killing people. Thr national guard would likely be called if any rally happened promoting violence. And America would nod in agreement because they blocked traffic. No need to even speculate.

Rights in this country aren't for certain people.

llien

That Milo character: Jewish, homosexual, black boyfriend... how on earth did he get into top ranks of the crowd associated with everything, basically, anti-him?

I'm hoping violence doesn't break out, but if it does I'm hoping each of Coulter, Bannon and Milo get a punch to the face
Chuckle.

Derwind

That Milo character: Jewish, homosexual, black boyfriend... how on earth did he get into top ranks of the crowd associated with everything, basically, anti-him?

Because no member of any group including minorities is safe from being a walking, breathing piece of shit.

Top Bottom