• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are there no Nintendo Switches in stock?

I have never seen a unit sitting on a shelf and i check every time i go to a big box store. Hell, from Christmas time until about May, it was equally as rare to find a 3DS on a shelf.

I got mine by pure luck when someone was returning it at Taget the same time i was in customer service line and snatched it up.

I just saw a bunch today at best buy while picking up a Bayonetta amiibo, a guy was buying their last neon as I was leaving, but they had around 10-12 grey units left. I see them around every once and a while but they're definitely not prolific. This is in Oklahoma though, I can't imagine what it's look like in some of the more populated cities/states.

I just saw a bunch today at best buy while picking up a Bayonetta amiibo, a guy was buying their last neon as I was leaving, but they had around 10-12 grey units left. I see them around every once and a while but they're definitely not prolific. This is in Oklahoma though, I can't imagine what it's look like in some of the more populated cities/states.

Around me (Los Angeles) people are still lining up before stores open to grab them.

Bought Splatoon 2 for my sisters BF today at a local Best Buy. After asking me if I had a Switch to go along with the copy of Splatoon 2, he told me that last night some Switches came in. About 5 left at the time me talking to him a few hours ago.

MTC100

Banned
Try the stores that are less popular for electronics. Target, Kmart, those types of places. When everyone was out here in Columbus, OH I found 6 Switches sitting in Target.

Aroll

How ironic that they are now against Apple and Samsung all due to trying to avoid Microsoft and Sony.

*sigh* *reminds myself that fans simply can't let console wars die*

They aren't "up against" apple and samsung except for pure parts manufacturing. THey are not the same market. They aren't really up against PS4 and Xbox, because again, it's not really the same market. There is crossover into all of them, of course.

The larger point - they aren't "avoiding" anyone. They are doing what they have always done - their own thing. Nintendo themselves hasn't really fought some "furious" battle save the old SEGA days.

I have never seen a unit sitting on a shelf and i check every time i go to a big box store. Hell, from Christmas time until about May, it was equally as rare to find a 3DS on a shelf.

I got mine by pure luck when someone was returning it at Taget the same time i was in customer service line and snatched it up.

I've seen a grand total of 3 sitting on store shelves. I live in Missouri.

trixx

The stock is rough but it isn't too difficult to get one. I've had many chances to get a second unit. Pretty hard to get in a city like Toronto but if you really want one you can get it. The folks at Canadian Gaming Deals thread are super helpful

*sigh* *reminds myself that fans simply can't let console wars die*

They aren't "up against" apple and samsung except for pure parts manufacturing. THey are not the same market. They aren't really up against PS4 and Xbox, because again, it's not really the same market. There is crossover into all of them, of course.

The larger point - they aren't "avoiding" anyone. They are doing what they have always done - their own thing. Nintendo themselves hasn't really fought some "furious" battle save the old SEGA days.

I was referring to battling for parts; not the type of games. They went different to avoid competition with Sony/MS; yet are now competing with Apple/Samsung due to using mobile parts.

Neith

Banned
Honestly, I really don't believe the supply issues. I think Nintendo is just making it scarce to get hype at proper levels.

If someone wanted a PS4 or Xbox One, they could walk into any store and just get one. I get Xbox One isn't selling as well as PS4, but even a console like PS4, which is a monster in terms of sales, winning almost every NPD - that thing is always in stock.
The Switch came out less than 6 months ago. The PS4 and Xbox One released in 2013.

You could barely find PS4s in-stores or online the first year (until the big stock refreshes for holiday 2014) and they admitted under-estimating demand.

It happens to all the best-selling consoles, and even niche stuff like PS4 Pro and PSVR were hard and almost impossible to find respectively.

Wamb0wneD

Honestly, I really don't believe the supply issues. I think Nintendo is just making it scarce to get hype at proper levels.

At this point I think of people who make such statements unironically in the same way i think of flat-earth-truthers.

Blam

I'm in Toronto (in Canada) - every store I've called says they're out of stock. EB Games, Best Buy, Walmart, Shopper's Drug Mart, etc...

The only way I can see to get one is to buy it from a private seller on Amazon or Kijiji which to me is unacceptable. I'm not going to pay more than MSRP for this thing.

Lol dude come on literally yesterday for a full 3 hours the Grey Switch was in stock.

Top Bottom