• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are there no Nintendo Switches in stock?

Instro

They could make more by spending the cash it would take to set up new production lines. This is what competent companies like Apple do when there is a shortage. Nintendo are just being tight.

This is the same company who has a HOT item in the NES Classic and refused to make more. They threw money down the drain for fuck all.

Apple sources nand from the same companies, they are faced with the same problem this year. They have more money and clout to get a larger share of the supply, but I'm not aware of them paying for additional factories to solve the problem.

The problem is the potetial future sales. The quicker you spread these things, the quicker word of mouth grows and the MORE future sales you generate. Sure, lots of these delayed sales are coming eventually, but some people that buy things on a whim from hype are being lost.

Absolutely, the total lifetime sales of this device are being harmed right now from this shortage.

Definitely. This is a huge problem. I feel as though a lot of people got caught up in the launch hype but that's died down heavily at this point. I imagine that if the issues aren't sorted soon, many would have lost interest by the time the manufacturing issues are sorted.

And to the couple of people above me, yes, they cannot keep up with demand but that's because they're barely producing any units to begin with. It's not as if their manufactiring pipeline is operating without handicaps, producing millions of units and still failing to meet demand, which is my point. Given the amount of units they're producing, I'd be worried if it wasn't selling out. Calm down Alberto.

DESTROYA

Yeah I feel your pain OP, with a full time job it took me months to track down a unit, luckily I got one from ToysRus when they were getting limited stock and passing out tickets.
I still have yet to see them in stock in person anywhere else in MA.
I guess it's just a supply and demand thing and unfortunately the supply chain really sucks.

Kickz

I just checked Target, GameStop and BestBuy near me and no one has one..

I just wanna play Splatoon man =[

I should be able to get a console on release day Nintendo..

EGM1966

Demand is outstripping supply.

Supply is constrained I believe by availability of certain parts and Nintendo's supply chain operations.

My youngest son had to wait for 5 weeks after his birthday to get his. He loves it but unless you're in certain regions patience is required to own one it seems.

VeeP

In California, and they had 12 Switches at my Bestbuy yesterday. OP call around, shipments went everywhere yesterday. Call Walmart, Target, BB, Gamestop, etc.

Allforce

I've seen them at Target nearly every time I go (which is usually at least a few times a month). But I'm in the capital of Ohio, not NYC or LA or Toronto where you've got millions of people.

I even saw a used one a few weeks ago at the local game store, they wanted 330 for the system, Zelda, and a carrying case.

Artificial intelligence. Nintendo isn't fooling anyone.. its been like this since the 80s

AI_Poster.jpg

Kickz

I see them instore all the time. Not a lot of them, but generally a few per spot (Best Buy, Meijer (local chain), Walmart, etc.

Was talking to a Gamestop guy yesterday and while he checked availability in another store he found one but literally as was talking to that other store it sold out lol..

boyshine

are those normal (300~330 dls) us prices?? or rip-off prices?

In Mexico there are switches available everywhere, they just happen to cost $10'000 mexican pesos, roughly $566 dls

Norway has 25% VAT. As far as I understand US prices are without tax(?), if so:

3500nok retail = 2800 + tax = $348

So, the cheapest option (3288,-) is $327

Shiggy

They underestimated initial demand and you cannot just increase production within a day. It takes weeks to ramp up production, and then it takes time to ship those units all over the world.

Also, it doesn't make sense to ramp up production too much to be stuck with costly excess stock later on. Ramping up production comes with initial investment.

boyshine

Same in Denmark
Some stores still have launch console because so little demand in this PlayStation country

I don't believe that. Few stores had more than 30 at launch, if you haven't sold through that + several shipments since, you are doing something insanely wrong. Denmark isn't THAT different from Norway, we are a PS-nation as well...

Chumly

Nintendo only had contracts in place to meet their fiscal year goal which was low and conservative based off Wii U sales. Unfortunately for them they didn't have a plan in place to ramp up in sales and being conservative they won't compete with cell phone manufacturers.

Bottom line Nintendo fucked up bigtime and is getting bit in the ass.

Nintendo is stuck competing with the entire smartphone industry and the tablet market for parts, and fared poorly. It left them without the ability to ramp up production when it turned out to be popular

What the hell?

From what I've been seeing, this period is the first time that Switches have actually been available for many people. And you want to make a topic now, especially when there's a dedicated thread for it?

Sucks that you can't find it, but this is the time where you could actually have a chance if you look around. What do you want people to tell you?

messiaen

Norway has 25% VAT. As far as I understand US prices are without tax(?), if so:

3500nok retail = 2800 + tax = $348

So, the cheapest option (3288,-) is $327
That's right. Sales tax here varies on a state and county level and/or city level.

For example, LA county sales tax total is 9.25%. California's base is 6% and LA county is 3.25%.

So a Switch here would be $327.74. But say in San Francisco where the tax is 8.5%, it would be $325.49.

OP, I still see over 30 something stores with stock around me. Maybe reach out to Target or Best Buy? Or wait till Mario and Rabbids comes out. I'm sure they'll have a healthy stock then too.

I believe its not just mobile phones but servers as well.
Not only that, but I've been looking build a PC the past few weeks and finding a good affordable graphics card at retail price has been tough. I've mostly been looking on Amazon, but I've been seeing a definite price hike on some of the more popular cards. Now if this is due to NAND shortage, I don't think so, but there's definitely a shortage of other parts too it seems like.

Not only that, but I've been looking build a PC the past few weeks and finding a good affordable graphics card at retail price has been tough. I've mostly been looking on Amazon, but I've been seeing a definite price hike on some of the more popular cards. Now if this is due to NAND shortage, I don't think so, but there's definitely a shortage of other parts too it seems like.
That's due to bit miners buying up graphics cards.

prateeko

I believe it's due to a global NAND storage shortage supply, most of which is taken up by contracts with mobile phone manufacturers.

I wasn't aware of this issue. Makes a lot of sense. Glad I pre-ordered and had a launch console delivered!

Nintendo only had contracts in place to meet their fiscal year goal which was low and conservative based off Wii U sales. Unfortunately for them they didn't have a plan in place to ramp up in sales and being conservative they won't compete with cell phone manufacturers.

Bottom line Nintendo fucked up bigtime and is getting bit in the ass.

Yeah cause everyone wanting their product means they are total failures, right?

Again, and this is literally every thread on the issue: People are projecting. The fact is that they are turning their dislike of what the Switch is, or their frustration not getting one or the NES Classic, into a spin or narrative where extreme demand is bad. That is absolutely some asinine opposite world stuff.

Man several months later and the GAF armchair CEOs are still all like "Nintendo are dumb, they should go to the memory store and buy more memory." Whatever new narrative you have to go with after your "DOA" prediction failed hard, I guess.

Anyway, nowinstock.net is a great tool for getting a Switch. Trackers in Canada are limited to Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Source, but Amazon gets stock regularly. Set up either browser or text alerts and you should be able to snag one.

MoonFrog

Definitely. This is a huge problem. I feel as though a lot of people got caught up in the launch hype but that's died down heavily at this point. I imagine that if the issues aren't sorted soon, many would have lost interest by the time the manufacturing issues are sorted.

And to the couple of people above me, yes, they cannot keep up with demand but that's because they're barely producing any units to begin with. It's not as if their manufactiring pipeline is operating without handicaps, producing millions of units and still failing to meet demand, which is my point. Given the amount of units they're producing, I'd be worried if it wasn't selling out. Calm down Alberto.

Larger install base does equal more (hopefully good) word of mouth and developer interest.

Yet, developers are undoubtedly aware that Switch is having stock issues. I don't think any harm is currently being done to Switch's future support by these launch woes. The thing is selling well, has a lot of hype, and seems to be an attractive product. No one who'd be considering Switch support and would land on the side of "yes" in a better stocked world is going to be swayed by these issues.

I also think Nintendo is doing very well at putting out compelling software to keep interest on the product. It is going to come into its first holiday with Mario, Zelda, and Xenoblade on the single-player side and Kart, ARMS, Splatoon, and Pokken on the multiplayer side, from Nintendo itself. This is a powerful array of software. I don't think "loss of interest" sales losses are going to be that great.

So I think you really need to wait for another bad shoe to drop to get that sort of narrative of the ground. Like NAND shortages don't end after Apple's launch and Nintendo can't get a good holiday stockpile in order.

I feel like your poor planning and research has led you to this problem. If you knew his birthday was coming up and the Switch has hard to find as it is, you should’ve been prepared. I mean, you’re on GAF, you can’t be oblivious to Switch news, right?

I'd wager this will only happen if Nintendo stops releasing hardware-moving software. Releases like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Smash Bros., etc. will continue to drive interest ,regardless of production issues.

Bubba77

I saw them everywhere yesterday along with splatoon. Walmart, gamestop and bestbuy had a lot. (I was tracking down cloud/bayonetta amiibos).

LordRaptor

Yeah cause everyone wanting their product means they are total failures, right?

Again, and this is literally every thread on the issue: People are projecting. The fact is that they are turning their dislike of what the Switch is, or their frustration not getting one or the NES Classic, into a spin or narrative where extreme demand is bad. That is absolutely some asinine opposite world stuff.

Its incredible how badly Nintendo fucked up after the WiiU.
They'd really got their "Product nobody wants" game down, how they managed to screw that all up by making something thats in demand as a followup is crazy

Top Bottom