• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't their more monster collecting games?

shingi70

Banned
With how popular Pokémon is...it makes me wonder why their aren't more games in that RPG sub genre. Only games I can think of right now are Pokémon, Yokai Watch, DQ Monsters, world of final fantasy, and the digs in suite of games. There hasn't been a major push for that style of game from either Microsoft or Sony to my knowledge.

I remember loving to play the original Robopon on the game boy color, and still we don't see much if that sort of game these days.

NeonZ

Shin Megami Tensei? Persona?

There's also the just released Dragonball Fusions (they are DB/Z/GT/Super fighters rather than monsters, but it's basically the same idea).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aside from the ones you mentioned, at least in Japan, the last 3? months had:
- Persona 5 (collect/fuse Personas, obviously not the main target of the game, but it's still there)
- Monster Hunter Stories
- World of Final Fantasy
- Pokemon Sun/Moon

Takao

Banned
If you ignore Digimon, Fighting Foodons, Medarot, Telefang, Monster Rancher, SMT: Devil Children, Invizimals, Monster Kingdom, every other popular Japanese mobile game, etc. there really has been few of them.

Pokemon is a handheld IP, so a company that doesn't have a handheld has no real reason to be in there. Sure, mobile exists, but what's successful and what's not is a total shot in the dark.

Syril

There were tons of them made during Pokemon's original heyday, but a lot of them only came out in Japan.

zulux21

With how popular Pokémon is...it makes me wonder why their aren't more games in that RPG sub genre. Only games I can think of right now are Pokémon, Yokai Watch, DQ Monsters, world of final fantasy, and the digs in suite of games. There hasn't been a major push for that style of game from either Microsoft or Sony to my knowledge.

I remember loving to play the original Robopon on the game boy color, and still we don't see much if that sort of game these days.

because there are already a shit ton of them, they just are not pokemon clones but instead gotcha games on mobile see puzzle and dragons and the countless other games like them.

puzzle and dragons makes a crap ton of money. (in 2013 it was making 4.5mil per day on average) and makes way more money than any other game on that list aside from pokemon (pokemon gives it competition I think not sure how pokemon stacks up to a game that brings in around 1 billion dollars per year)

I mean it's basically legal slot machines that kids pay real money on a shot to collect the good monsters :/

they take a fraction of the effort of a game like pokemon and in general make more money... so thus that is what people focus on.

as others have said though there are plenty of other pokemon like games out there though.

There are also games like Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure and Moco Moco Friends that are aimed more at the female crowd.

Some more traditional JRPGs also have strong monster collecting elements embedded into the game. Several Dragon Quest installments involve this is one way or another.

You didn't mention Ni no Kuni, either. I hate the AI (really needs a FFXII action priority list), but other than that it was a very good game.

Corpekata

Banned
A lot of games have trouble making balancing and combat interesting and fun with a static 6 or 7 party members, doing it for like 100 monsters (or demons) is no small undertaking.

shinkai

Was playing Monster Rancher Advance the other day..... Would love to see another game in the series, it's been too long

I kind of feel like monster collecting has had a pretty healthy presence in game design since Pokemon...

I mean, it's actually not a genre I'm super into so I can't cite a long list off the top of my head, but it never feels like it's too long of a gap between games being called "Pokemon-esque" or "Pokemon-inspired."

I would LOVE another Monster Rancher. Even a mobile one with QR codes.

To contribute to the thread, the Jade Cocoon games are really damn good.

Hah, I was thinking the 3DS, since a few of the games I've been playing lately use the external cameras to read QR codes. I guess the Switch makes that a moot point though? It might have that capability if Pokémon Stars keeps it in?

R0ckman

SMT isnt really about the Monsters though, its a fusion fodder game where you just collect and fuse for the best monsters, same DQ monster games. Yokai Watch is also kind of like that with its rank system.

I think Pokemon is one of a kind.

srnNJQH.jpg

SMT isnt really about the Monsters though, its a fusion fodder game where you just collect and fuse for the best monsters, same DQ monster games. Yokai Watch is also kind of like that with its rank system.

I think Pokemon is one of a kind.

I'm confused about what you mean with it being one of a kind in this sense. Are you referring to how all monsters are technically viable and they don't really get phased out the way early game demons in SMT do?

Enchant Arm is a monster collecting game and even has a mysterious flamboyant figure set out to rescue the person he loves who has been brainwashed by boobs.

Because developers realize that nintendo has a huge monopoly on that market and to try break in is alot of work and most likely not worth the investment. Take Yo-kai Watch for example massive success in japan not so much outside of japan mostly cause people are happy with playing just pokemon.

Because they're probably pretty hard to balance by design. If you make them challenging the player has to focus on just a few to keep their stats up to par, which discourages experimentation. Or otherwise you make them really easy and boring.

I guess you could implement some enemy scaling system, but that is a whole another can of worms

Many of them are very poorly done with regard to balance and systems (see: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Ni no Kuni, both of which had their charms but completely flubbed the monster-collecting/monster-raising side of things). There aren't tons of them because, as with Zelda games, it's actually a fairly hard formula to get right.

shinkai

Yeah, was just trying to think of a way for this series to really work again. QR codes?

I think the word input they used in MRA was pretty good since you were limited to how many characters you could input until you advanced in ranking. QR Codes could also work as well perhaps by giving players access to special events and/or monsters

Top Bottom