• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did NoA redesign the SNES for the US?

ggx2ac

I don't like the US SNES but my god it looks like a masterpiece next to these two. Yikes! They have no charm or personality! Honestly look like knock offs.

You could say that imitation is a form of flattery... And a knock-off.

800px-FC-Twin-Console-Set-H.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
EU/JP SNES is king. Everyone who disagrees is wrong and I feel bad for you for having to deal with bland-ass purple buttons and rectangles.

Mr Git

I'm not keen on the US SNES, but as a kid was always wowed by the cooler square carts that we used to import - and the boxart. So we got a nicer looking console and controller, but 50hz and worse boxart.

This problem was not exclusive to NA chassis:

image3c25c.png

Yup mine's yellow as fuck. For years I just put it down to people smoking in the house but it happens anyway. Mine also used to toast my socks before I went to school in the winter. Bought my brother a JP Famicom when I was visiting him in Japan - found one that was absolutely pristine. I hadn't seen a SNES like that since the early 90s. Made me wonder if the JP ones were made of different stuff (obviously not with this image but still).

Not gonna lie I think the US design looks way better. I've never seen a SNES or a Super Famicom before in my life (I'm 14) and I think the hard edges and purple highlights on the US one are magic.

Bruh so you've been posting here since you were 7?

I can’t believe that nobody else picked up on this. This is truly one of the more interesting things to emerge in this thread (PAL SNES was better-looking tho).

Kilau

Nice info OP, I had never read that interview and the insight is interesting.

Rest of the thread is childish nonsense.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I understand redesigning the original NES/Famicom was necessary due to the video game crash, but I gotta agree, the JPN/EU version of the SNES/Super Famicom is superior to the boxy NA version.

DPB

yup, something to do with bromine used in the plastics i believe. which wants to turn brown when exposed to light. my DSi is doing the same thing with the shoulder buttons.

what i find weird though...nintendo are the only consoles i own that seem to do it?

My Dreamcast has turned an unpleasant yellowly shade too. Strangely enough, the PSOne I bought at about the same time stayed white for much longer - it's only in the past couple of years that it started turning yellow.

muteki

I can see the appeal of the JP/EU versions but I grew up with the NA one and it is the only correct version in my eyes.

hirokazu

This doesn't answer your question but Miyamoto recently talked about his involvement with the hardware design of the SFC and he seemed to appreciate some of NOA's changes: https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/interview-star-fox-2
He’s commending the controller design, and I’d agree, having concave buttons is good design.

The American SNES console is still an abomination. SFC is too curvy and colourful? Americans sound really boring!

bionic77

I can see the appeal of the JP/EU versions but I grew up with the NA one and it is the only correct version in my eyes.
The JP version looks better but I played a few thousand hours on my US SNES and I never gave a fuck about what it looked like. The controller melted in my hands and that was my main concern.

I should also point out that as ugly as the Genesis and SNES look today, I thought they both looked amazing at the time.

BD1

Banned
For years I would grumble at how much better the Super Famicom multicolored buttons were compared to the SNES. How could NoA ever decide that those buttons weren't attractive and iconic?

Lately, the nostalgia has kicked in, and I really love the two tone purple buttons. It's just different.

Super Nintendo/Famicom should be loved and cherished by all. What an amazing system.

I grew up with the NA SNES and I still gotta say the EU one is definitely the best. Its got the bold Super Nintendo logo AND the colors and style of the famicom. I don't hate the shape of the NA SNES but I think we can all agree the colors were a mistake. PHOTOSHOP CHALLENGE! Lets make the NA SNES look better.

Duxxy3

Because we got the short straw. I HATE the design of the US SNES. It was one of my favorite systems of all time, but I thought it looked awful. Genesis was a great looking console for its day.

bionic77

Because we got the short straw. I HATE the design of the US SNES. It was one of my favorite systems of all time, but I thought it looked awful. Genesis was a great looking console for its day.
The Genny definitely looked better at the time than the US SNES. It aged horribly though and looks really bad to me now.

Also, its controllers felt so cheap compared to the SNES controllers.

tkscz

Definitely. That's without even mentioning the colour schemes.

It's wake up time in the UK right now, it will be interesting to see the shift in opinion over the day when different countries have their say.

The EU one has a hideous color scheme, Those grays do not mesh at all.

The American Super Nintendo might be among the ugliest consoles to grace this planet :p

Haha, wat!

Hyperbole.

I prefer the SNES to the Superfamicom even.. Superfamicom is nice, but the carts... yick.. They don't stack, they have an ugly ass grill.. SNES forever!

I think there's this trend right now to call the SNES ass ugly, for some reason.. And you're all caught up in it.

Sulik2

The SNES famicom looks terrible. I have no idea how anyone likes that thing. The purple US one looks so much better. I'm glad they redesigned it.

I'm guessing to maybe match up more with what the original NES looked like, make it a more obvious successor. As for the NES, op already mentioned the reason it changed

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My Dreamcast has turned an unpleasant yellowly shade too. Strangely enough, the PSOne I bought at about the same time stayed white for much longer - it's only in the past couple of years that it started turning yellow.

Thankfully UV stability has increased a shitload in plastics/polymer technology in the last 20 years. Even cheap plastic should keep it's colour from now on.

linkboy

I love the Super Famicom/European Super Nintendo design.

I picked up a SFC when I was in Japan back in 2005 and it's now my default SNES.

Even back in the 90's when we first got our SNES, I didn't care for the design. Sure, I got over it and enjoyed the games, but my mind was blown when I first saw the SFC design and always wanted to get one.

cordy

Banned
NoA's SNES is the only one I acknowledge. That's the one I grew up with, that's the one that fit the 90s for me. That's the one.

Oh yeah? Well I like them both.

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing a SFC with the SNES colors from the US, just because it would be an interesting mish-mash in its own right.

Also, SFC and US SNES boxes are great because the SFC boxes are like VHS tapes and don't have a real "form" to them for the branding, mostly. The US boxes have that form that is also sleek.

PAL version tries to skirt the line between them and usually fails.

Chittagong

Gold Member
25WU6mP.jpg

NTSC box art is so black. Every game with the same colour scheme. I just love the colourful variety of our PAL versions, even if the contents were the subpar 50Hz.

Link to the Past was my first boxed games. Look at all the gold all the way around. It was majestic. Then we have Kirby, which is just so pink. It instantly caught my eye (coincidentally, it was my last ever new from store game I bought). The NTSC version on the other hand looks like the designer had to make up for the fact they weren't allowed to draw angry Kirby, so instead had him dancing in the darkness of his soul.

Obviously, for the SNES Classic, including 60Hz versions meant some games didn't have the corresponding PAL boxart, i.e. the Kirby example above where the name is different or Contra III as that was called Super Probotector. Of course someone at NoE surely has a photo manipulation application they could have used it to change the logo from to the other while keeping the original PAL look.

If they ever homebrew the SNES Classic, my incentive to hack my own will not be to add more games, but to change the box art for all the games lol

Anyone else love how PAL Super NES box art had colourful sides?

936full-donkey-kong-country-cover.jpg

1-1-2.jpg

936full-secret-of-mana-cover.jpg

EVOL 100%

I grew up with the US SNES and always thought it looked like ass. Who the fuck thought that purple would look good with purple? It's just a bizarre colour scheme.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
never ceases to amaze me how hideous the us snes was. thank christ our japanese overlords gave europe the superior one.

I see those and my design sense wants to barf because of that one strip of color or, in the case of stuff like DKC, artwork just kind of peeks out and then that's it.

The DKC is awful anyway because the PAL boxes arbitrarily cut off the edges but not at the edges. Look at the sings on the hornet up top and you'll see what I mean. It's like they stuck to a design idea so ardently that they didn't check to make sure it was good in all cases.

The SOM box bothers the hell out of me too because they matched a color for the artwork used but the artwork is just awkwardly framed in this big green mess.

SKINNER!

Banned
On the other hand, USA has the superior box art but nowhere near as great as Japanese ones. Cannot stand the European ones with the lame kindergarden stencil templates and the large hideous "PAL VERSION" label on the front cover. yuck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see those and my design sense wants to barf because of that one strip of color or, in the case of stuff like DKC, artwork just kind of peeks out and then that's it.

The DKC is awful anyway because the PAL boxes arbitrarily cut off the edges but not at the edges. Look at the sings on the hornet up top and you'll see what I mean. It's like they stuck to a design idea so ardently that they didn't check to make sure it was good in all cases.

The SOM box bothers the hell out of me too because they matched a color for the artwork used but the artwork is just awkwardly framed in this big green mess.

On the other hand, USA has the superior box art but nowhere near as great as Japanese ones. Cannot stand the European ones with the lame kindergarden stencil templates and the large hideous "PAL VERSION" label on the front cover. yuck.

Stomping all over my childhood memories.

ObIQIdL.png

It is interesting how the companies design philosophy really started the change, as well as the insutstry.

Curvy consoles gave way to flatter ones, to fit in with your current stereo setup. Sony's two biggest wher flat, angular and black, while nintendo has basically adopted the apple style of white, rounded and a bit of clear plastic in places (save for the switch).

But as for the SNES? Famicom style wins I think. It's beautiful in retrospect, and very neat looking. SNES looks more like a 80's toy.

BiggNife

The common prevailing theory in the 90s was that America preferred boxy, rigid shapes to more compact or smooth/rounded designs. It's also the reason why the NES is a giant box compared to how tiny the Famicom is.

I think the Super Famicom looks better than the SNES but also I'm partial to the SNES design because I grew up with it. People saying the SNES looks disgusting or hideous are being hyperbolic, at worst it's just super boring.

Phatcorns

I think all versions of the system look great. Each one has their own appeal (although I will say I prefer the colored buttons of the Super Famicom)

bosh

Why the SNES was designed the way it was for the US:

ND: The Super NES design is quite square compared to the Super Famicom. What was your motivation for going in that design direction?
LB: The Super Famicom was maybe okay for the market in Japan. For the US, I felt that it was too soft and had no edge.

Its too soft for us!

Interesting info though OP, thank you for putting together. It would be interesting sitting in one of these meetings previously were they discussed changing the design for different markets and why.

Top Bottom