• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Did The PS3 Fail?

DSN2K said:
how much market share does PS3 currently have in comparison to the Wii and 360 globally ?
To be very rough and round a bit (in PS3's favor): maybe 20% PS3, 40% X360, 40% Wii.
pswii60 said:
True, but wasn't Nintendo seen as exactly that just 2-3 years ago?
Sure. Their increased success didn't help GameCube avoid the fate its first few years created for it, though. (Unless one wishes to reply to this with duct-tape jokes.)
Smiling Bandit said:
And yes, Xbox360 also is a failure already. One year headstart, already getting overtaken by Nintendo and not even reaching the same number of people as with the first Xbox.
Nah, X360 is doing better than its predecessor. Though compared to how much Sony's and Nintendo's fortunes have changed, the difference seems pretty small.

Bulla564

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Nah. How about the historical trend of a console that had Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc...

Yeah... the N64 and GC, each one performing worst than its predecessor... let's just say the current Nintendo craze is not the result of a new Mario or Zelda.

'An image it was not able to shake off' and 'franchises many did not care for' does not apply to the PS3? How on earth can you type that without breaking down in paroxyms of laughter?

Because the "is too expensive" image of the PS3 will fade away, and 100+ million people cared for games in a Sony console for 2 generations now. Once the price barrier is lifted, there will be little stopping PS2 owners from upgrading.

Almost all of that applies to the PS3. Bad 3rd party support - lost exclusives and delayed, shitty ports.

The games are still being released/announced for it. As for delays and ports, devs are now getting past their 1st year with the hardware. It is showing in some of the latest improved ports.

Orlics

Amazon.com comment said:
GK達はこの本を読むべきだwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

そして、己の愚かさに気付くのが良いwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

GK涙目wwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:lol :lol :lol

Harsh. For those not in the know, 'wwww' is the equivalent of 'lol.'

LRB1983

Banned
Why did the PS3 fail?
PS3 do not fail yet.
If Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII or... Final Fantasy VII remake (XD) do not sell PS3's then it will be time to get worried.

Maybe joke post but a good reason is they closed lik-sang.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BenjaminBirdie said:
I sleep pretty well. But unless I explain myself I'll just get labeled as an Xbot or (for like the seventieth time) a viral marketer.
Trust me, I don't care either way what team you cheer for, but what Drohne said there, it does ring true somehow. You just sound way too passionate in your concerns :¬)

Bulla564 said:
Yeah... the N64 and GC, each one performing worst than its predecessor... let's just say the current Nintendo craze is not the result of a new Mario or Zelda.

And the PS3 isn't performing drastically worse than its predecessor?

Because the "is too expensive" image of the PS3 will fade away, and 100+ million people cared for games in a Sony console for 2 generations now. Once the price barrier is lifted, there will be little stopping PS2 owners from upgrading.

Yeah, the 'is too expensive' image of the PS3 will fade away, to be replaced by 'it's an X360, only not as good image' in America (and possibly Europe), and the 'PS3? You mean they released a 3rd one?' image in Japan.

Yep. Once the price barrier is lifted, there's little stopping PS2 owners from upgrading. The question is where they upgrade to, and in that regard, there's a heck of a lot stopping them from upgrading to a PS3.

The games are still being released/announced for it. As for delays and ports, devs are now getting past their 1st year with the hardware. It is showing in some of the latest improved ports.

If the same game shows up on two systems, and the game is virtually identical on both, I'm gonna go for the cheaper system, right?

Marconelly said:
Trust me, I don't care either way what team you cheer for, but what Drohne said there, it does ring true somehow. You just sound way too passionate in your concerns :¬)

Oh that's only because I'm such a spectacular writer.

Saitou

Banned
Sony also maintains that the PS3 is out-performing the PS2 at the same point in its life cycle.
Oh snap. This has to be a misquote or something.

They couldn't have said that.......

right?

KINGMOKU

Bulla564 said:
You mean historical trends of a console that has MGS, GT, FF, and every other Sony franchise, at a mass market price?

See kids, sensationalist crap is not exclusive to authors that blow their load early in a generation.

What about the GC? bad 3rd party support, an image it was not able to shake off, franchises many did not care for? None of this applies to the PS3.
Can you back up anything your talking about?

People at GAF, and certainly those who frequent the sales threads, and even moreso the ones who heavily participate in those threads are not ones really to be argued with. They have been tracking shit right down to what underwear the damn execs are wearing. The writing is on the wall, and your trying to erase it with a magic wand.

Your going to have to do alot better then this.

KINGMOKU

Pureauthor said:
And the PS3 isn't performing drastically worse than its predecessor?

Yeah, the 'is too expensive' image of the PS3 will fade away, to be replaced by 'it's an X360, only not as good image' in America (and possibly Europe), and the 'PS3? You mean they released a 3rd one?' image in Japan.

Yep. Once the price barrier is lifted, there's little stopping PS2 owners from upgrading. The question is where they upgrade to, and in that regard, there's a heck of a lot stopping them from upgrading to a PS3.

If the same game shows up on two systems, and the game is virtually identical on both, I'm gonna go for the cheaper system, right?
Dont waste your time PA.

ASS ???Bulla564??? HOLEINTHEGROUND

Ranger X

Those articles are hilarious. They really try to strech the "it's cool to hate Sony" trend.
Should we remind us the console isn't even one year old? lol
The PS3 is STARTING. It have all the chances in the world to win the console war for the second place (and prolly will).

Saitou said:
Oh snap. This has to be a misquote or something.

right?

PS3 - WW launch. Well, kinda.

PS2 - Japan only for 8 months.

That's the basis for 'PS3 outperforming PS2 LOLZ'.

szaromir

Banned
Ranger X said:
The PS3 is STARTING. It have all the chances in the world to win the console war for the second place (and prolly will).
Even as a second console it is sort of a failure. But it's far from being second console.

Haunted

Bulla564 said:
Oh, I think those casual PS2 owners are upgrading right now. Just not to the PS3.

KINGMOKU

Ranger X said:
Those articles are hilarious. They really try to strech the "it's cool to hate Sony" trend.
Should we remind us the console isn't even one year old? lol
So how would you rate the PS3, in terms of sales, marketshare, game sales, mindshare, marketing, e.t.c. thus far in comparison to the PS1/PS2?

Any answer that isnt mega-bomba is incorrect. Can that change? History says NO.

The books title isnt funny, or inaccurate at all. Unless a miracle, that on a scale of miracles would place it about 8/10, were to happen, the book title is 100% correct.

Pureauthor said:
Is Pokemon really a good example? You really think the console 'Stadiums' are sales drivers?
The first few passed a million in Japan, and the first released in the US was the biggest game of 2000. Of course more recently it's done less, but that's part of what makes it a good example about certain franchises not being eternally giant.
Saitou said:

right?
They can say things like "PS3 worldwide sales at 9 months are greater than PS2 worldwide sales at 9 months.", though the time when that's actually accurate is slipping away.

PS2 at 9 months
Japan: Out for 9 months
NA: Out for 1.5 months
EU: Out for 0.5 months

PS3 at 9 months
Japan: Out for 9 months
NA: Out for 9 months
EU: Out for 5 months

drohne said:
i'd like to see somebody rig a definition of 'fail' which excludes the ps3's performance to date.

Fail- failed, fail·ing, fails: Definition

- stop operating or functioning

More in tune with 360 performance, ba dum cha!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lee N said:
Harsh.

Is there a 「エックスボックス サンロクマルはなぜ失敗したのか?」 too or are they just assuming everyone already knows?

That book practically writes itself.

Bodom78

I think the book title is on Par, The PS3 was expected to be the hot gaming console like the PS2 and Playstation but it has not come close. In that sense it's failed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

I sleep pretty well. But unless I explain myself I'll just get labeled as an Xbot or (for like the seventieth time) a viral marketer. Those are facts, and culturally, that's the state of affairs. It really has nothing to do with the PS3 specifically. Any sensible person knows that the PS3 cannot be labled a failure just looking at the facts, but "feelings" and "perception" have labeled it as such. Just like the first question any newscaster is going to ask someone who's house in fire will be "How do you feel right now?" and not "How did the fire start?"

i've just gotten back from the gym, and sometimes i think about gaf on the treadmill, because it helps pass the time. i worked out what bothers me about your posts in this thread -- i couldn't phrase the thing earlier. you didn't bring up the death of reason out of any concern for reason as such. you brought it up to milk this news bit for its full negative potential. to draft a real social and intellectual problem into your console jihad is in poor taste. whether there's truth to what you're saying or no.

Pureauthor said:

Derp, derp, derpa? Hope you are talking about current game library, which is a no brainer a console that's been out far longer should have more games.

P90

Failure is dependent upon expectations. If you were to think it would perform like the PS2 and dominate, well it is a failure. If you were to think that it would potentially sell 20-30 million units in a normal console life span (5 years. Hear that MS!) than, no it is not a failure.

Halo 3's potential effect may kill the PS3 3rd party exclusive support. The DS already took the biggest 3rd party game from the PS library. If Sony moneyhats ensure that all "main" FFs and that all iterations of MGS4 remains exclusive to the PS3 than there may be a chance that the PS3 will be second behind the Wii this gen.

drohne said:
i've just gotten back from the gym, and sometimes i think about gaf on the treadmill, because it helps pass the time. i worked out what bothers me about your posts in this thread -- i couldn't phrase the thing earlier. you didn't bring up the death of reason out of any concern for reason as such. you brought it up to milk this news bit for its full negative potential. to draft a real social and intellectual problem into your console jihad is in poor taste. whether there's truth to what you're saying or no.

I always think about the death of reason. Dave Sim is complete crackpot about nearly everything, but he's spot on about what's happened to society in respect to Emotion and Rational Thought. It's a theme that finds its way into a lot of my arguments, simply because its present in so many aspects.

I would never embark on a console jihad, either. It would require me to shoot WipeOut in the face, and that will never happen. I've spent this thread talking straightforwardly about the PS3, not spouting FUD all over the place. (And isn't that telling, "Fear, Uncertainy, Doubt". Guess what all of those are?)

The only reason I brought up what I did is because the general tone of all of these threads tends to be "Why is this happening to the PS3? Don't they know it's early on in this generation? Too early to be making this kind of call?" And that's my answer. A reasonable person would make that conclusion, but reason doesn't sell books.

rs7k

Bulla564 said:

I don't see a reason why PS2 owners wouldn't go over to the 360. It will always be cheaper, and most casual centric franchises that were on PS2 will be multiplatform now. It's a misconception that everyone will get a PS3.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's too soon to "declare" it a failure since it's not dead yet, but my goodness let's not be in denial.

rs7k said:
I don't see a reason why PS2 owners wouldn't go over to the 360. It will always be cheaper, and most casual centric franchises that were on PS2 will be multiplatform now. It's a misconception that everyone will get a PS3.

It's also a misconception to go to the other extreme and claim there's no such thing as a fan of the Playstation brand who may be content with the PS2 now and is waiting to goto the PS3 when it gets cheaper.

rs7k

DemDereNads said:
It's also a misconception to go to the other extreme and claim there's no such thing as a fan of the Playstation brand who may be content with the PS2 now and is waiting to goto the PS3 when it gets cheaper.

I'm just saying in general, what you just said really doesn't happen all that much unless someone is a diehard Sony fan.

rs7k said:
I'm just saying in general, what you just said really doesn't happen all that much unless someone is a diehard Sony fan.

Ya... and with over 200m Playstations sold, I'm sure there are quite a few "die-hard" Playstation fans waiting for the price to drop.

mcgarrett

BenjaminBirdie said:
A reasonable person would make that conclusion, but reason doesn't sell books.
Well I don't think anyone here has actually read the book, so we don't really know what the author has to say. Sometimes a sensational headline/title is simply used as a hook and doesn't necessarily reflect the author's true purpose.

As for reason vs. emotion, it's perfectly reasonable to wonder what happened when the console maker that dominated the last two generations releases a system that debuts in a distant third place.

mcgarrett said:
As for reason vs. emotion, it's perfectly reasonable to wonder what happened when the console maker that dominated the last two generations releases a system that debuts in a distant third place.

Heh. Reasonable doesn't always mean rational but I see your point.

Doc Evils

mcgarrett said:
Well I don't think anyone here has actually read the book, so we don't really know what the author has to say. Sometimes a sensational headline/title is simply used as a hook and doesn't necessarily reflect the author's true purpose.

Price.

BenjaminBirdie said:
The only reason I brought up what I did is because the general tone of all of these threads tends to be "Why is this happening to the PS3? Don't they know it's early on in this generation? Too early to be making this kind of call?" And that's my answer. A reasonable person would make that conclusion, but reason doesn't sell books.
When was it safe to make such calls last generation, and why then?

Brofist

mcgarrett said:

But what is there to wonder about? Is there really anything that Sony has left to the imagination? Exorbitantly high priced console with few games sells poorly, news at 11. What do you think? The masses are revolting against Sony? Buyers are a fickle bunch. If the PS3 becomes reasonably priced and gets good games things probably will change.

In Japan things might not change that much however, as Japanese buyers have shown traditional gaming is losing popularity.

Ikael

Console wars aside, I am genuinely interested on the book from a marketing standpoint. As some persons have pointed out before, the Japanese perspective of the ps3 "failure" should be really fascinating. I mean, in Japan it was mainly a playstation vs wii issue (the xbox was never really meant to gain the nº1 spot), the price also wasn't considered as too much of a burden, and it was there where the videogame shift has been faster (towards non games and the like).

About if the ps3 is a failure, well, it has been a failure, so far and this is an industry based on snowball effects and momentuum, so I really doubt that it will bet better soon. Unless they are able to react now and start cutting down prices right now (not in 10 years) and getting megatonic-like annoucements on the game front, I really don't see it selling.

moku said:
Any answer that isnt mega-bomba is incorrect. Can that change? History says NO.

You can predict the (doomed) future of PS3 with various reasonings, but NOT if the sole reasoning is "history". Various things happened in the recent years of console industry and the situation of the current generation show that history alone CAN'T accurately predict the future of this generation.

DemDereNads said:
Ya... and with over 200m Playstations sold, I'm sure there are quite a few "die-hard" Playstation fans waiting for the price to drop.

Psst, there's a console already attracting the PLAYSTATION generation casuals.

Tobor

Jon_Danger said:
Has it failed? This is news to me

Sony lost their leadership position in the gaming industry and aren't any closer to winning the movie format war than they were a year ago.

I would consider that a failure. More importantly, stockholders would consider that a failure.

Failure != no longer on shelves. A product can be considered a failure way before that point.

Top Bottom