• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' on clothes?

sphagnum

Banned
I always found ibn Fadlan's description of the Rus to be fascinating:

§ 83. They are the filthiest of God's creatures. They have no modesty in defecation and urination, nor do they wash after pollution from orgasm, nor do they wash their hands after eating. Thus they are like wild asses. When they have come from their land and anchored on, or ties up at the shore of the Volga, which is a great river, they build big houses of wood on the shore, each holding ten to twenty persons more or less. Each man has a couch on which he sits. With them are pretty slave girls destined for sale to merchants: a man will have sexual intercourse with his slave girl while his companion looks on. Sometimes whole groups will come together in this fashion, each in the presence of others. A merchant who arrives to buy a slave girl from them may have to wait and look on while a Rus completes the act of intercourse with a slave girl.

§ 84. Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin. When he has finished, the servant carries the basin to the next person, who does likewise. She carries the basin thus to all the household in turn, and each blows his nose, spits, and washes his face and hair in it.

Morat

Banned
Well, there was a viking mercenary corps at the Byzantine court, and there must have been some contact with Islam in the later period. I believe Islamic gold coins have been found in Scandinavia as well.

AAtjAPw.img

Yeah? I mean maybe but no wonder it took 'em a hundred years to find it.

I think this actually highlights a problem that “minorties” within the western world have been talking about for many years now. History has been written from a “whitewashed” point of view.

The letters used in Arabic are instantaneously recognizable honestly. It’s just that there’s no room in academia for alternative points of view that allows for women or minorities to play a more active role than has been traditionally presented. Recall the shit show of the “black Roman”.

Game-Biz

Another L for the alt-right haha...

My step-brother made this idiotic image and loves posting it all the time. He ain't gonna like this news.

Then again, he says that homosexuality within the Spartan culture is a myth made up to discredit them lol, so I'm sure he's going to cry fake news at this.

Ullus

Because they did a lot of trades in the area, not all that surprising they would bring back items, some of them religious in nature.

Lamel

Banned
Another L for the alt-right haha...

My step-brother made this idiotic image and loves posting it all the time. He ain't gonna like this news.

Then again, he says that homosexuality within the Spartan culture is a myth made up to discredit them lol, so I'm sure he's going to cry fake news at this.

That image is fuel for morons on Facebook. Not to mention people died by like 40 back then.

Wasn't that character based on a real person?
Yes.

A substantial portion of Ibn Fadlan's account is dedicated to the description of a people he called the Rūs روس or Rūsiyyah, i.e. the Volga Vikings, the North Germanic (or, in the "anti-Normanist" interpretation, early East Slavic) groups travelling the Volga trade route. The Rūs appear as traders who set up shop on the river banks nearby the Bolğar camp. They are described as having bodies tall as (date) palm-trees, with blond hair and ruddy skin. They are tattooed from "fingernails to neck" with dark blue or dark green "tree patterns" and other "figures" and that all men are armed with an axe, sword and long knife.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is complete nonsense. It only spells Allah if you're desperate to see it.

And many people see Allah in the most innocent objects.

Like ice cream ...
DBhoFdyUIAAZOEt.jpg

A baby's ear ...

allah%2Bear.jpg

A cloud ...

allahclouds.jpg

For the rest of the world these similarities are just a coincidence.

Sunster

Like ice cream ...
DBhoFdyUIAAZOEt.jpg

A baby's ear ...

allah%2Bear.jpg

A cloud ...

allahclouds.jpg

have you poured over this archeologist's research yourself or?

Like ice cream ...
DBhoFdyUIAAZOEt.jpg

A baby's ear ...

allah%2Bear.jpg

A cloud ...

allahclouds.jpg

Desperate? Those things do look like an arabic scripting of Allah but doesn't necessarily mean anything. They might look like your lord and savior flying spaghetti monster the next day but still doesn't mean anything. It's people who are ascribing value to things of randomness. If you believe Vikings painted and sewed random shit on themselves then sure. I would take the archaeologist's work over your nonsense.

Vinter

Vikings were known to be very vain and it may be that they liked some of the clothing and patterns they came across on their journeys. First time I have heard about muslim vikings but I wouldn't say its impossible either.

Dyle

The amount of human history the Vikings managed to get their hands on is always fascinating. It's really interesting to see them simultaneously draw upon geometric Celtic designs and Arabic calligraphy. It's always great when someone unearths a horde with coins from Rome/Greece/France/China etc. Looking forward to reading more into this piece later

Oemenia

Banned

Look up Kufic script, and unlike your 'miracles' this is totally man-made.

Hexa

It has too many lines. But I guess it would still be read the same as its just an extra l since? Still weird for it to be like that. Maybe they just thought it looked nice without knowing what it meant.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Like ice cream ...

A baby's ear ...

A cloud ...

Yes but tell us what you're really upset about ?

Star of The Thirteenth Warrior; an awesome movie based on a Michael Crichton novel which combines a retelling of Beowulf with the historical figure Ahmed ibn Fadlan; who journeyed west with a group of vikings to learn about their culture.

The movie is fucking awesome.

They turned Neanderthals into human cannibals though.

Did you peer review her research? It is in conjunction with other findings of Viking-Islamic contact in recent years.

geomon

Banderas played an Arab traveller in the movie 13th Warrior who becomes a prophecised warrior in Viking land

Its a terrific film. You should watch it. Does anyone know if its on Netflix?

No but it is on VUDU, FandangoNow, Playstation Store, and Microsoft Store.

sphagnum

Banned
I thought it was a known fact Vikings went to Istanbul?

It was Constantinople at the time, so Orthodox Christian rather than Islamic. But yes, they were there in the Mediterranean. That's where the great civilizations were, so that's where people from all over went to trade.

Viking_Expansion.svg

I mean they went to all these places and they were raiding so they probably just took their shit. Especially from Muslim Spain, I'd imagine.

Top Bottom