• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DMC3's Vergil is the Best Rival in Gaming (Also Free Copies of DMC4 PC)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That Vergil 3 theme is one of the GOAT DMC tracks.

Actually fuck it I will go there... it's one of the best tracks in gaming.

Of this, I have no doubt.

DMC3's soundtrack is completely underrated because people only remember the normal battle tunes. A lot of the boss and cutscene tracks are phenomenal.

I dont get how this works. Where is modbot and how do I PM modbot.

I'm really sorry, man. The codes aren't up yet because I have a hiccup with Modbot. I'll update the OP as soon as possible once I have them.

TreIII

Vergil/Angelo is definitely the prime choice. And it's easy to see how his legacy has given us the likes of Alastor and Captain Blue (Viewtiful Joe), Azel, Jeanne, Vorkken, the Masked Lumen Sage
Balder
, and so much more.

But even so...props has to be given to Angelo for not only doing it first. But doing it so well, for all the reasons cited above.

Of this, I have no doubt.

DMC3's soundtrack is completely underrated because people only remember the normal battle tunes. A lot of the boss and cutscene tracks are phenomenal.

Doppelganger Boss Theme is still one of my all time faves.

javac

Man...walking up the Temen-ni-gru in the rain for the first time to fight Vergil was amazing and the cut-scenes that proceeded are as slick and memorable as ever. Such an amazing game and such an amazing cast of characters.

Werhil

Vergil is indeed the best rival in gaming. I always knew it to be true in my heart, but this post nicely detailed some of the reasons, well done. Its very fitting too, given that DMC3 is one of the best games ever created!

Vergil is indeed the best rival in gaming. I always knew it to be true in my heart, but this post nicely detailed some of the reasons, well done. Its very fitting too, given that DMC3 is one of the best games ever created!

Capcom got some good rivalries going on:

Ryu vs Ken
Dante vs Vergil

strange guy

Neo Member
Great post, Vergil is the greatest rival in gaming, at least in my opinion. When i first played DMC3 i was shit at it, i had a hard time tying to beat Cerberus and Agni & Rudra, but i kept playing until i was able to beat them. When i faced Vergil he destroyed me but that battle was something special, he was the opposite to Dante and still was so cool, the atmosphere was great. That battle was the reason i wanted to continue playing until i finished the game, his second and third battles were even better, it felt so satisfaying to beat the game.
Vergil is the best final boss i have ever seen, he's the perfect opponent and one of the principal reasons why DMC3SE is my favourite game. I don't even have a PS4 yet but i'm sure i'm buying DMC4SE day 1 only beacause of him and to show my support for the series.

Dah Gawd

The Greatest of All Time

The Legendary Dark Slayer

The Son of Sparda

You will not forget this devil's power

Vergil is going to double the potential sales of DMC4SE. Like someone said earlier... Vergil is Capcom's trump card in making fans double dip on games (DMC3SE, UMVC3, DmC DLC and now DMC4SE)... and god damn it is fucking effective.

My two cents on why Vergil is a great rival for Dante.

It really has to do with how well DMC3 hypes up each encounters and builds it up. The opening cutscene is Vergil cutting up Dante which confuses the player into thinking whether it's a dream or is it a foreshadowing. Finally that scene happens and it plays out exactly as that opening cutscene... the player gets beaten up but the fight unlocks Dante's DT so you are like "oh yes, next time I see Vergil I am going to pop my DT and whoop his candy ass!"

Well the 2nd encounter comes in and it turns out that Vergil has been collecting Devil arms of his own. You fight him now with his Beowulf but when you pop your DT, he pops his own. He was holding back on the first encounter because he didn't NEED to use his DT. Now the fight is more even yet intense but right when it's starts to heat up it's interrupted for story reasons (normally I would bemoan this but the cutscene that follows is godlike). So now this fight is put on hold but it's still at the back of your mind... you want to kick his ass for the first beating he gave you.

Enter the 3rd battle right after Vergil assists you in beating another boss. Now Vergil has another sword and he is not holding back. He throws everything at you and you are fighting at the edge of hell. Vergil turns on XF3 and goes ham on you with Helm Breaker. It's hard at first because Vergil can combo you out of no where but you persevere and finally beat him. Suddenly you realize that the reason you wanted to beat up Vergil doesn't exist anymore... you now respect him as an equal. Another time, another place this fight could've gone differently. When Vergil drops you kinda feel sad that this is the last time you will see him in this form where he retains such character.

DMC3 built up this rivalry so well that it retroactively makes the Nelo Angelo fights in DMC1 even more dramatic. The final encounter with Nelo Angelo is epic because of this and his "demise" even more heartfelt. When I first beat DMC1 and beat Nelo Angelo 3 I thought it was a very cool fight but didn't have any emotional weight behind it... after beating DMC3 and playing it again I felt it. That is the mark of a very good prequel, it enhances the original work beyond the intended design. Strangely enough when Mundus says to Dante "again I must face a Sparda" he is also including Vergil in the statement even though when we first hear him state it we thought "oh he is talking about Mundus".

Another thing that was great about Vergil... he kept Dante in check. He beat up Dante in DMC3 and he beat up Dante in DMC1 (both first encounters). Vergil's existence in DMC makes sure that Dante is not "OP"... he is beatable. Ever since Vergil has not been in the scene Dante has been too strong for his own universe and has remained unchallenged. There is a lack of tension in fights and the cutscenes, even a lack of motivation to get stronger to beat a stronger opponent.

These among other reasons is why fans clamor for Vergil's return. He injects the seriousness to the series that serves as a good foil to Dante's flippant behavior. Vergil is a walking reminder to Dante that this is what he could've been if he embraced his demonic heritage more. And of course he can lay the smack down on Uncle Dante once and for all.

Did I mention how sick his VA is in DMC3? The intent behind his taunts in the fights is so clear that it engages you further into the battle. "THIS IS THE POWER OF SPARDA!" "YOU ARE NOT WORTHY AS MY OPPONENT" "NOW I AM A LITTLE MOTIVATED!"

God tier post.

NEO0MJ

This is why you play games one at a time. It also cuts down on frivolous purchases. For example, if you know you wont finish a JRPG for 3 more weeks, and the pre order bonus isnt notable for the new game you want, wait till you need it. It could be half off in under a month (hell, I got COD for $30 ps4 new 4 days after launch, beat it, sold for $45)

I usually resist but for those two games I felt I had to play them at launch.

Dahbomb

The Vergil 2 theme is a better battle theme but Vergil 3 is a better "this is the final boss fight in the game and shit is epic now" now.

You are all forgetting something important that makes Vergil great & that's that he is not evil. He is a character people get invested in because he stradles the line of anti-hero & villian. Much like Loki from Thor, he has the ability to be both & we as a viewer are more interested in him because of that. Some fans want Vergil to show up team up with Dante & take down a big baddie, some want him to fight Dante and be the ultimate villian of the series. His ambiguity as an antagonist is part of what makes him so endearing.

Vergil's very serious demeanor juxtaposed with Dante's cocky attitude was just great. I can't disagree with anything said in the OP. Going back to fight him in DMC1 after playing DMC3 just makes it all the sweeter. Also summoned swords never get old.

Yeah, Vergil on DMC3 was cool as shit, but I always guard a special place for the Nelo Angelo fights, you have this mysterious awesome looking dude on an armor who dosn't needs to say a word, because his swag is that big, and you knew that you shit was about to hit the fan everytime you had to face him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best scene with Vergil:

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m8mmsbGiRE1qda2s4o2_250.gif

I mean, it's obvious he and Dante are twins, but when the rain/battle with Dante puts his hair down and they look flat out identical to one another, it really drives it home.

2136.jpg

Deadly

Vergil is indeed one badass motherfucker. I hope whatever they do for him in DMC4SE is awesome. Having played the base game though, it seems kinda limited.

Thanks for the giveaway!

Robot Pants

That Vergil 3 theme is one of the GOAT DMC tracks.

Actually fuck it I will go there... it's one of the best tracks in gaming.
100% agreed. I post it in every thread about game music or boss themes.

And then if the fight and music wasnt awesome enough as it is, I LOVE that "Dante!" when you deliver the final blow.

I'm still partial to Vergil 2 music, too bad he's pretty easy to fight with Beowulf which makes the fight less hype than Vergil 3.. I think the only game that got rival battles just as good was God Hand. It was fun as shit fighting Devil Hand, though the rivalry wast more off-handed and less emotional compared to DMC3 Vergil.

I think Capcom missed out with DMC4 when they made the Sanctus the final boss he was so boring and his overarching plan was boring.

Vergil is probably Capcom's best asset that they haven't created a game yet for.

He's up there with the likes of Liquid Snake and Wesker. Well, before Wesker got all globally saturated and stupid and wanted to rule the world cus evilzzz and stuff.

Alfredo

I played DMC 1 after DMC 3, so I already had an understanding of who Vergil was.

But for people who played DMC 1 first, how did you feel about him back then? Vergil didn't really seem to have a character in DMC 1 as far as I could tell, and the revelation of him as Nelo Angelo seems like it'd be kind of hallow without his DMC 3 backstory.

Valnen

Vergil is probably Capcom's best asset that they haven't created a game yet for.

Definitely. They have used him 3 times now to get people to rebuy a game, though!

If I had a top 5 list of best video game characters, he'd probably be in there somewhere. The Vergil 2 theme is also one of my favorite video game songs of all time. I regularly put it on my playlists. It stands on it's own as great music, even apart from the game.

Vergil is really, really great. My love for DMC3 can't be understated.

Jehuty vs. Anubis and Ramza vs. Delita are also contenders if you ask me.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I wish I didn't lose my save of DMC 3 for PC. Now I wanna replay the game as Vergil.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think this pair of rivals is equally good as the Vergil/Dante rivalry

Street_Fighter_4_Cover_by_UdonCrew.jpg

Excellent write-up. Taught me a few things I hadn't consciously taken note of yet. Though to be fair, I beat DMC3 just a few days ago, so I'm still reeling from the experience.
My two cents on why Vergil is a great rival for Dante.
(...)
Talk must be cheap, since that's a very thorough response for just two cents. :)

I agree 100% with you two, even though I've only just started DMC4 PC (to quote Nero, today's been "CUH-RAY-ZY!"), I can tell that it won't live up to DMC3's story in this regard. Still, pretty excited to see what I can do with switchable styles on the fly, and Nero is pretty fun in the mean time.

Going through the game, earning new weapons by defeating sweet bosses, only to get stomped by Beowulf and see Vergil effortlessly finish him off, then take the weapon that should have been yours and actually use it against you in the next bossfight was absolutely brilliant.

Also this:
iFmR7OUDkK7QM.gif

Devil May Cry 3 is the greatest game ever made.

Raonak

Banned
I really hope we get to see an older papa vergil in DMC5. can't imagine how awesome the dialouge would be between him and uncle dante.

Skittles

Hell, I would say that vergil is by the far the best character to be created in a game. When I think the epitome of cool, I think of vergil. Is ridiculous how well designed the character is from the look, personality, actions, weapons, how he plays, and voice.

Just send MB the PM, hope I'll be lucky, never got so much luck even in Twitch raffles.
Looking forward to that though, DMC4 was kinda okay and well optimized by Capcom.

I always loved Vergil for his fighting style with Beowulf. I honestly consider it the best compared to Dante.

I'm super damn excited for Vergil in DMC4:SE! I'm curious to know if he'll be getting his own side story, or even a new set of weapons to use. I really want to see Vergil meet Nero!

Top Bottom