• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

Zaventem

As long as it plays good i don't give a shit.It's funny to see both sides overreact to something you know nothing about.I'm wishing for the best because the more good games the better.I've seen a gif with him using an axe in this reboot and getting SSS with zero effort so i'm worried, and not being 60FPS for this type of game really hurts too.

antitrop

Wait... someone just said that a game that doesn't even come out for 3 more months to be released in the first month of the new year will be a GOTY contender for that entire year?

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

demidar

I LOVE it. Someone criticizes something they haven't experienced. That video was terrible, full of personal criticisms. This game will be a GOTY contender.

P.S. the new dante is awesome

If I can't pass judgement, neither can you (no hyping, no fawning, no defending).

In fact, let's just not talk about DmC altogether.

They took everything that made DANTE great and turned into something deplorable.

What made him great again?

You know everyone and their moms would of loved the scene where dante punches the guy and signs the paper if he wrote DANTE or something.

Fuck You really just ruined the moment for what it could have been. IT DOESNT EVEN MAKE SENSE.
I dunno, he's a dumb angsty teenager (that's why everyone hates him) but that seems pretty accurate what he'd be like when he was a young angsty teenager.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know everyone and their moms would of loved the scene where dante punches the guy and signs the paper if he wrote DANTE or something.

Fuck You really just ruined the moment for what it could have been. IT DOESNT EVEN MAKE SENSE.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's a good thing then that DMC4 Dante is a middle aged man and comfortable with his theatricality as well as being cultured enough to make a parody of Shakespeare on the fly.

Don't forget using flowers as a weapon. Fucking classy AND stylish..also secure in his sexuality.

FUCK YOU doesn't have to make sense, it's edgy!

Sojgat

If this game actually turns out to be any good, while I'm playing it I will intermittently chuckle to myself as I think back on this thread.

DMC1 Dante was pretty original at the time, he was damn cool, and quite witty.
DMC2 Dante at least had a really cool design?
DMC3 Dante was a smarmy punk, but still a badass and full of jokes.
DMC4 Dante was so deliciously hammy and such a reprieve after angsty Nero.

Can't choose!

Chao

Wellyeahthatslikeyouropinionman.jpg

Original Dante was also a douchebag, specially dmc3's Dante, i don't get what's so different between them. You also say the story is bad in the new game, but what about the previous ones? I don't even remember half of what happened in them, that's how good those stories are.

If this game actually turns out to be any good, while I'm playing it I will intermittently chuckle to myself as I think back on this thread.

The game has to be good at this point. The hype level for this game is negative 500 in the, "COMPLETE GARBAGE SHIT" category. This game is set up to be the worst game of all time.

So anything more will be a pleasant surprise. But I'm sure all the hardcore dmc fans will find a way to dissect it, pulling out every poor area and highlighting it all over the web. Trying to make anyone that enjoys it feel like dogshit.

Get ready for thousands of videos highlighting any poorly written word Dante says. But if there was cheesy/shitty writing in previous DMC games, its just chalked up to charming japanese differences or translation flubs.

demidar

Wellyeahthatslikeyouropinionman.jpg

Original Dante was also a douchebag, specially dmc3's Dante, i don't get what's so different between them. You also say the story is bad in the new game, but what about the previous ones? I don't even remember half of what happened in them, that's how good those stories are.

He's a well-meaning douchebag who doesn't hurt people without a good reason.

To me the story simply doesn't matter much in these games, obviously the action is the star and if that's not perfect then it drags the whole game down. However, not expecting greatness and at least getting something decent is always nice.

The stories always take a backseat in these games and I will always give props to DMC3 for putting some real effort into the story. Sure, it screws up a lot of things continuity-wise, but the Dante/Vergil story is still really well done and it doesn't feel like they just phoned it in. DMC4 was a huge step back in this department as I simply didn't care about Nero and the evil cult or whatever as much as Dante/Vergil.

The last fights of the game were just that more excellent because of how the story built it up, I can't say the same for most of the final battles in these games.

Ninja Theory seems to be crafting a pretty cool world for this game but don't seem to have very interesting characters inhabiting it. I definitely wouldn't write it off this early though, as that's not something that comes across as immediately as the gameplay does.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To me the story simply doesn't matter much in these games, obviously the action is the star and if that's not perfect then it drags the whole game down. However, not expecting greatness and at least getting something decent is always nice.

The stories always take a backseat in these games and I will always give props to DMC3 for putting some real effort into the story. Sure, it screws up a lot of things continuity-wise, but the Dante/Vergil story is still really well done and it doesn't feel like they just phoned it in. DMC4 was a huge step back in this department as I simply didn't care about Nero and the evil cult or whatever as much as Dante/Vergil.

It makes more sense when you piece together that nero is virgil's son and that dante is his uncle and look at all the moments in the game from that perspective.

I haven't replayed DMC4 and gone through all the cutscenes in an extremely long time, maybe I should. I appreciated the relationship between Nero and Dante sort of like with Raiden and Snake in MGS2, how Nero found out he was being played and that Dante was misunderstood, and realizes how much he could learn from him.

Nero being Vergil's son was pretty obvious but was never explicitly spelled out...I wonder if they were planning on going further into it in a future sequel but those plans changed when DmC came about. My dream for DMC5 was Dante, Nero and Vergil all playable with their own unique branches, alas that shall never be.

Definitely not saying DMC4 was a bad story, it really had its moments for me, but when I think of "sibling rivalry" stories in videogames my thoughts immediately go to DMC3. That game has a damn special place in my heart.

Maybe I'll grab the HD collection and do a series run-through to freshen up my memory. I want to give DmC a chance if it has the potential to touch what the series has accomplished in the past, but until it's out and I'm actually playing it, I'm not seeing it.

Honestly I like the new Dante, but I don't think he should be a replacement. I think DmC should be come its own series and they should continue the original Devil May Cry series.

Also I'd like to point out that being a bad character is completely subjective.

sn00zer

This is a more realistic Dante given the circumstances....the thing I never particularly liked about Japanese characters is that all of this crazy shit happens to them and it doesnt get to them at all or rarely does...like the original Dante...

OG Dante: Demons come into my bar and start wrecking shit? Time to party.
New Dante: Demons tear apart my trailer and are constantly trying to kill.....time to get fucking pissed off

New Dante seems like a more realistic character when compared to old Dante who was a cool under every condition, while this Dante is a hot head...and actually sounds a lot like an inexperienced OG Dante.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is a more realistic Dante given the circumstances....the thing I never particularly liked about Japanese characters is that all of this crazy shit happens to them and it doesnt get to them at all or rarely does...like the original Dante...

New Dante: Demons tear apart my trailer and are constantly trying to kill.....time to get fucking pissed off

New Dante seems like a more realistic character when compared to old Dante who was a cool under every condition, while this Dante is a hot head...and actually sounds a lot like an inexperienced OG Dante.

It's because old dante knows he's damn near unkilliable, why wouldn't he fuck around most of the time

i'm going to buy DmC and drink every time dante says the word fuck
Sounds about as sane as me and my friends Saving Private Ryan drinking game of drinking when someone dies

This is a more realistic Dante given the circumstances....the thing I never particularly liked about Japanese characters is that all of this crazy shit happens to them and it doesnt get to them at all or rarely does....like the original Dante...

lets over generalize shall we.

You gotta remember, in the beginning this game was made to show off stylish action. Not a complex and thought provoking story.

Japanese have characters in games that are affected by the shit that happens around them just like the western games have characters that arent phased by the shit that happens around them

CorvoSol

i'm going to buy DmC and drink every time dante says the word fuck

And Alucrid did not make it past first hour before his kidneys and liver failed.

Honestly, that's one of the things I felt was a little off-putting about the game. The use of profanity seems so childish that I can't help but feel like that was written by a teen. I mean, here and there it can pepper dialogue, but this is more like opening the pepper shaker and dumping the whole thing out. It isn't just that they're swearing, it's that it's childishly employed. I'd be embarrassed to play it around others with that kind of clever script.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

New Dante seems like a more realistic character when compared to old Dante who was a cool under every condition, while this Dante is a hot head...and actually sounds a lot like -an inexperienced OG Dante.

-OG Dante was super stylized, never grounded in reality character wise

-Dino Dante is trying to be realistic and its coming off bad so far.

Plus visually Dino is a fuckin boring looking.
from his clothes to his moves, NOTHING stands out. The combos in the game looks like they took stuff from old DMCs , threw em in a box and handed it to us. the environments in the game are a better character then him.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
-OG Dante was super stylized, never grounded in reality character wise

-Dino Dante is trying to be realistic and its coming off bad so far.

Plus visually Dino is a fuckin boring looking.
from his clothes to his moves, NOTHING stands out. The combos in the game looks like they took stuff from old DMCs , threw em in a box and handed it to us. the environments in the game are a better character then him.

But the environments look terrible.

oh god

Old Dante was a douche with white hair, a red trench coat, who was half-demon. It's just as emo-fantasy as this new version.

So basically he went from a 2001 era stereotype to a 2012 stereotype.

Though, I do noticed a bit of a trend in modern iterations of older characters where the designers do try and downplay personality quirks that made the original character endearing to begin with.

Max Payne somewhat comes to mind. The original Max was an intentional walking cliche of everything film-noir. But in Max Payne 3 they kind of stripped away some of that and toned down his more notable personality quirks to make him fall in-line with the current trend of videogame action characters. It's sort of a de-caricaturization i guess, if I am making any sense at all.

replay DMC1 again. I'm pretty sure near the last half he got pissed off with Mundus and Trish.
I'm pretty sure he even got a little emotional

Dahbomb

The fact that things like demons attacking him in his office and impaling him doesn't bother him is part of why people like him as well. Even by the time Dmc3 rolled around he was a semi professional at his job.

Chick comes in stabs him through the heart? Just another Tuesday. He isn't like a normal person and neither is his upbringing. Only half of him is human.

Dante in DmC is 0% human in terms of biology which makes his juvenile outbursts just plain contradictory.

TreIII

To me, that "Japanese flavor" is what made Dante and the DMC series what they are. Kamiya's original game was definitely over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek and "wink wink" self-aware, and that's one of the few things that I think DMC3, DMC4, the very DMC-inspired Sengoku BASARA and Kamiya's own Bayonetta did well to maintain.

...But I just don't get the same vibe here with DmC. It's almost like NT's trying to tell their own version of a good "joke" they saw on a standup comedy show the night before, but by the time they try to re-tell it to a friend at the office the next day, the delivery is muddled, they stumble on a detail or two, maybe try to interject their own spin on the joke to to save face, and it doesn't have the same effect.

It reminds me a lot of comparing the likes of Sandlot's original "EDF" games and Vicious Cycle's "EDF: Insect Armageddon" release from last year. To say the least, Vicious Cycle tried. But their delivery just did more to showcase that they didn't quite get what made the "joke" (re: EDF's Sandlot) so much of a riot to those who loved EDF:2017.

KTallguy

Banned
Dante was always a cheeseball character, and the scripts have always been bad. It was never meant to be high art, it's been a schlocky series from the beginning.

I can see why people "like" the party-time Dante from DMC4 with the confetti blowing around and all that weird gesturing, but I think people need to get their head out of the sand. This image just doesn't appeal to a lot of people:

J2J8d.jpg
If you really go back and look at the old games, the story and characters are impossible to relate to. They're just fantastical hero legends.

The new game isn't out yet, so no one can really say if the new Dante is a good character or not. But a lot of people can relate to the "fight the power" angle, and they're already hinting that he starts as an asshole and slowly finds something to care about as he goes through the game. There's plenty of potential for a simple character arc.

I doubt that the story will be Oscar worthy, but it'll definitely be a bit more thought provoking and relatable for a general audience. And really, there's not much worth saving from the old "party time" character... how much growth has Dante had throughout the entire series up to this point?

Last point: if DMC4 had sold like gangbusters, they probably wouldn't have rebooted the character.

Dahbomb

I like the environments art design and I like the variety in them. If I had to single out the best thing about the game it would be the environments. The club scene was crazy.

Hey maaaan you want some of this nostalgia? It's some good shit.

*COUGH COUGH COUGH*
Not quite sure what this implies as the previous DMC game wasnt that long ago and the HD release was also quite recent. It's more a matter of preference here.

Last point: if DMC4 had sold like gangbusters, they probably wouldn't have rebooted the character.

DMC4 is the best-selling game in the series, though I guess Capcom thought it could sell more. They tend to have impossible-to-reach sales goals for their titles which are clearly not as appealing globally as something that is realistically going to sell 10+ million copies. It sold pretty damn well for being released early in the console cycle, especially as a PS2 franchise making its multiplatform debut.

I personally do not see this being more commercially successful as DMC4, and they will just bin the franchise altogether thinking that no one wants it.

And yeah, Ninja Theory has fantastic environment artists. It's probably the best thing about their games aside from Bohan.

I guess I'm just not in the same mindset. When I'm killing demons I don't need to relate to the character if he's charming and cool, and I agree with what he's fighting for. I don't know how to relate to a half-demon/half-human and I don't think Capcom needs to tell me how to. It's a videogame and not everything needs to reflect how a person would act in the real world if he was an immortal demon-slayer.

ezekial45

Banned
The fact that things like demons attacking him in his office and impaling him doesn't bother him is part of why people like him as well. Even by the time Dmc3 rolled around he was a semi professional at his job.

Chick comes in stabs him through the heart? Just another Tuesday. He isn't like a normal person and neither is his upbringing. Only half of him is human.

Dante in DmC is 0% human in terms of biology which makes his juvenile outbursts just plain contradictory.

DmC Dante was raised in the human world. Even though he's not a mortal, he's a child and product of the human world nonetheless. Sorta like Superman, in a way. He was raised as a normal person with these extraordinary powers that shaped his world view and dictated how he used his powers.

DmC Dante, on the other hand didn't have such nurturing - which explains his attitude.

KTallguy

Banned
Hmm, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would reboot the character, unless they just didn't see anywhere else they could take him.

Did Dante have a story arc in DMC4? From what I remember DMC3 was just stopping his brother.

DmC Dante was raised in the human world. Even though he's not a mortal, he's a child and product of the human world nonetheless. Sorta like Superman, in a way. He was raised as a normal person with these extraordinary powers that shaped his world view and dictated how he used his powers.

DmC Dante, on the other hand didn't have such nurturing - which explains his attitude.

if you were practically immortal, would you be high strung or would you be pissed off and annoyed all the time.

personally if I couldnt get hurt (and I wasnt a power hungry asshole) life would be one big relaxing ride... nothing could hurt me so whats there to be stressed over. Especially if hunting demons is my profession. Bring em on and "Lets Dance!"

ezekial45

Banned
Hmm, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would reboot the character, unless they just didn't see anywhere else they could take him.

Did Dante have a story arc in DMC4? From what I remember DMC3 was just stopping his brother.

He met his nephew and he stopped another human from abusing Sparda's powers.

Top Bottom