• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do mushrooms make you bigger in Mario Bros. but faster in Mario Kart?

Inb4 someone says bricks in the mario universe are transformed toads:

NO I AM SICK OF THIS BS

No one seems to realize that the manual refers to Toads that get turned into blocks giving you items!

UxVWZ2Q.png

Regular destructible bricks are not Toads.

Finally, someone will be informed.

(Please pardon my double post)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know this is kind of a joke thread, but that actually is quite bizarre when you think about it. I mean, given all the wacky things that you can do in Mario Kart, it seems reasonable to think that a mushroom in a Mario platformer would have the same effect in Mario Kart.

Now, I know some of you will probably go "bubububu what power up can be used to increase your speed then, smart guy??"

And the answer is obvious:
the frog suit

Mushrooms in the MCU (Mario Cinematic Universe) are entities of pure energy. Ingesting them breaks down the energy molecules to elongate limbs, organs, and skeletal structure to considerably large but fragile proportions that revert to their original state when hostile organisms come into contact. When kart racing, those same mushrooms are shoved into a special compartment wherein a machine breaks them down into pure energy, resulting in a brief but large boost in the machine's maximum speed. It also results in a devastating pollutant that, with each boost, brings the Mushroom Kingdom one step closer to total climate annihilation. But since it's the sport of choice for many including the royalty's princess herself (and the kingdom's most lucrative activity monetarily-speaking), the side effects are summarily ignored.

It's quite simple, really.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
and why do poison mushrooms shrink you in smash bros instead of outright kill you

the real questions have a place here
Because everyone has been ingesting small amounts of poison mushrooms every day to build up an immunity. One day they won't have any effect at all.

6vJ8uEQ.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What would be the point of being bigger in Mario Kart?
Lightning bolt makes you small and slow and regular sized drivers can run you over. Being bigger would make you faster and allow you to drive over other drivers.

Because mushrooms aren't ingested by the characters in Mario Kart, but instead fed into the engine of the vehicle where it has an explosive effect when mixed with fuel and heat. This positively affects the combustion and boosts the performance until the mushroom is fully burnt up. However, exessive use of mushrooms have a damaging effect on the engine-block, and so standard cups are regulated to four races as a result.

Astral Dog

Different genres

Though i agree a mushroom item that makes you bigger would be awesome,like the start but you can crush the other players

PSqueak

Banned
Power Stars?! What 'power' do they have?! The ability to let me enter paintings?! This is bullshit! I want to be immortal!

The power to make Peach's castle magical, it's not explained very well, but Peach says it in the ending, the stars power the castle and that power allowed her to be freed from the stained glass Bowser imprisoned her on. What the hell the castle does that requires the power of 120 stars? That's the true question.

There are bigger mysteries to solve. Like why is Kamek a boss in 2D Mario, but a common enemy in 3D Mario?

Kamek, much like his female counter part Kammy, are a couple of high ranking Magi Koopas who also work as care takers to the Bowser family, the common enemies in World and other games are lesser rank Magi Koopas.

The real question is... did Miyamoto ever ingest psilocybin? And who were the lucky bastards that got to trip with him

From a 2008 interview with GamePro Germany on Wii Music:

GP: What kind of music do you like to listen to and do you have any favorite bands?

SM: It's really my personal hobby but I like American blue grass. I love this type of music and listen to it a lot. I've found some band members and each year we attend a jamboree where several hundred people camp out for a few days and we have a large jam-session.
http://www.itworld.com/article/2781002/personal-technology/nintendo-s-miyamoto-on-wii-music.html

Archpath1

I think it's about the power of giving you "more"

More power can be size

The cart using it gives it more power/speed

Or don't think about it :)

LordKasual

Banned
The best Mario Kart ever made (DOUBLE DASH) already explained this

They chuck the mushrooms into the kart. They don't eat them :D

But Mario Kart 8 is not DOUBLE DASH, and so they just vanish into thin air and dumb shit happens as usual

Are thunderstorms a constant source of concern in the Mushroom Kingdom? In MK they shrink everyone so any time a storm hits are people running around trying to shrink proof themselves?

MrBadger

Kamek, much like his female counter part Kammy, are a couple of high ranking Magi Koopas who also work as care takers to the Bowser family, the common enemies in World and other games are lesser rank Magi Koopas.

But are there any Mario platformers that have Kamek and Magikoopas?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
How does lightning shrink the player and his kart and why is the effect only temporary?
It's pretty obvious to me that the lighting interferes with the electric field at an atomic level. In fact, it's an anticyclical field summed to the regular field, making the atoms of anything it hits slower, thus effectively shrinking the player.

The effect last only as long as the energy of the lighting is depleted, returning the player to a normal state afterward, since the internal temperature remains the same.

Isn't there a theory that they're actually friends and the games are just play acts or something.
It's not a theory but rather something Miyamoto said.

Basically the Mario characters are basically "actors" in the same way the Looney Tunes characters are. Each game is just them playing a role.

Platy

It's not a theory but rather something Miyamoto said.

Basically the Mario characters are basically "actors" in the same way the Looney Tunes characters are. Each game is just them playing a role.

or in the same way Osamu Tezuka characters are =P

there is also the fact that SMB3 is obviously a stage play

Top Bottom