• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Nintendo make so many Kirby games?

RM8

I want a new Air Ride, Dream Course, Canvas Curse and Mass Attack. Heck, it'd be cool to see a new Pinball Land or Block Ball as eShop releases.

Anth0ny

kirby games probably cost shit all to make and all sell decently well. they don't even make that many...

Metroid and F-Zero, on the other hand, are high budget projects that take forever to make and end up selling fuck all in the end. iwata ain't about that.

Madao

Kirby sells more than Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero combined. in some instances, it sells even more than Zelda (Zelda is not that big in japan though)

sad but you can't blame Nintendo for making more games in a popular series. the only series more popular that they make are Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, SSB and DK. basically, Kirby is one of the big guns.

Kriken

Cheap to make, they seem to always end up profitable, and Iwata has an affinity for his former job (president of HAL Laboratory).

Kirby is HAL Laboratory's bread and butter.

I suspected this, but this also genuinely makes me curious as to how much a Metroid game costs in comparison

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think part of it is the Wii U failure, but a lot of it is leftover resentment over the Wii.

Which is interesting cause the turnaround on the wii(as in"wow this console is actually really cool and had some pretty cool games", aswell as having way more 3rd party games then people have realized) is alot faster than the turnaround on the gamecube.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Because Kirby fans don't think themselves so hardcore that they criticize the shit out of whatever direction they perceive the new Kirby game to be taking the franchise. They just play it and have fun.

Orayn

672edfa97d4363b2b6a324aeb0d5a4f8.png

Hm, seems a lot more crowded back in the 90s.

...What was your argument again?

Oh no. They're releasing pretty decent games in a well-liked series every 1-2 years

Somebody stop them. This cannot go on. It is an unprecedented atrocity in the history of the great medium of video games.

Nah, I can kinda sorta see why OP might raise the question, as the series does have its share of remakes/re-releases and most of the games do look very similar to each other at face value.

OP, the reason is because most Kirby games are pretty economical to make and perform consistently, and the talent behind them is still consolidated at HAL.

Besides all of the posts saying the low risk high reward, and the experimentation value, Kirby serves to a dedicated fanbase that will buy his games that isn't that well served by other franchises for the particular itch they want to scratch. When I want to play a peaceful, happy game that I enjoy playing and want to relax to, I play Kirby

Kirby sells more than Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero combined. in some instances, it sells even more than Zelda (Zelda is not that big in japan though)

sad but you can't blame Nintendo for making more games in a popular series. the only series more popular that they make are Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, SSB and DK. basically, Kirby is one of the big guns.

And Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart if you count that as a separate series.

I wouldn't really call it a big gun, more of an upper-midtier franchise :p

Why is it not enough reason for some people that they sell well? Particularly, Star Fox, Metroid and F-Zero are outperformed by Kirby big time. Nope. There has to be something more to it, right? Involving Iwata no less.

Kirby's mascot power is pretty big, he's there with Mario and Pikachu and not with Samus and Captain Falcon, lol.

Star Fox was a bigger seller than Kirby in the N64 days. Star Fox 64 sold 3.325 million, more than twice what Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards sold, 1.611 million. Even Wave Race 64 outsold it with 2.105 million and 1080º Snowboarding came very close with 1.254 million.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Star Fox also was big in SNES days. It sold 4 million units and was one of the best selling titles in the system. F-Zero sold 2.85 million. Kirby's Avalanche sold in 1.7 million in Japan, no data about other regions. Same as Kirby Super Star with 1.1 million in Japan, too.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Star Fox Adventures, considered by many as a deception, sold 1.08 million. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Fusion sold 2 million, 1.31 million and 1.286 million respectively. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland sold 2.1 million. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, 1.324 million, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, 1.31 million and Kirby's Air Ride, 1.17 million.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Game_Boy_Advance_games and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_GameCube_video_games and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Unlike what you're saying, the difference between Kirby and those franchises were little at their apex and, at sometimes, they even managed to outperform it.

RM8

So at some point (AKA NOT right now) those series outsold Kirby? Okay. Current Kirby games spank the latest games in those series, so unsurprisingly currently Kirby gets new games (one every couple of years, that is). And hey, those series got more games back when they sold better, who would have thought?

Come on, you know this.

Sandfox

People seriously need to stop acting like Metroid is dead or Nintendo is ignoring it just because there hasn't been a release for the 3DS or Wii U yet.

Kangi

672edfa97d4363b2b6a324aeb0d5a4f8.png

Hm, seems a lot more crowded back in the 90s.

...What was your argument again?

Yeah, mid-90s Kirby was insane. Then we went seven years without a non-remake sidescrolling platformer, and that's if you consider Amazing Mirror a platformer more than a Metroidvania.

Kirby's a solid series that gets solid sales, and every few games really change things up. It's one of Nintendo's staples, and they give it the love it deserves.

Because Iwata.

Why do you think it got a special anniversary game like its the same tier as Mario (arguably got a much better 'effort wise' one than even Mario did)? Cause the Iwata and Sakurai old boys club keeping Kirby important.

Good-2-b-da-pres.

Its why Balloon Fight keeps getting re-released first on everything.

Bluth54

Isn't a new F-Zero impossible to make because the team behind it is spread out all over? I feel like there'd still be backlash because it doesn't "feel" like the others.

Nintendo certainly could make a new F-Zero with a new team, F-Zero GX wasn't made by Nintendo and had a different team.

I imagine the reason that we don't see new F-Zero games anymore is because they just don't sell very well.

Mory Dunz

Star Fox was a bigger seller than Kirby in the N64 days. Star Fox 64 sold 3.325 million, more than twice what Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards sold, 1.611 million. Even Wave Race 64 outsold it with 2.105 million and 1080º Snowboarding came very close with 1.254 million.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Star Fox also was big in SNES days. It sold 4 million units and was one of the best selling titles in the system. F-Zero sold 2.85 million. Kirby's Avalanche sold in 1.7 million in Japan, no data about other regions. Same as Kirby Super Star with 1.1 million in Japan, too.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Star Fox Adventures, considered by many as a deception, sold 1.08 million. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Fusion sold 2 million, 1.31 million and 1.286 million respectively. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland sold 2.1 million. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, 1.324 million, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, 1.31 million and Kirby's Air Ride, 1.17 million.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Game_Boy_Advance_games and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_GameCube_video_games and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Unlike what you're saying, the difference between Kirby and those franchises were little at their apex and, at sometimes, they even managed to outperform it.

Some good points, but I have two issues
1. Kirby 64 was a horrible game, and I think that affected sales. Especially compared with the other games (Star Fox, Wave Race) that were arguably the best entries in their respective series.

2. Without Non JP data for the SNES games....it's hard to say.

Eusis

Ignoring simple, telling facts like "Kirby outsells those series".
Outsells and is properly cheaper. I wouldn't be surprised if of the other series it was closest to Metroid Prime in terms of sales, but I don't doubt the average Kirby game is much cheaper to develop so even if I'm right Kirby ends up a better investment.

Zalman

Iwata worked for HAL. HAL loves Kirby. Kirby is cheap to make for Nintendo. Nintendo loves money.

At least most of the games are actually really good.

Mory Dunz

I will say that the sales of Luigi's Mansion 2 do at least show that a revival of a middling franchise has a chance to sell really well, as long as the game is good.

JordanN

Banned
Kirby is just a pink balloon with shoes.

Characters that would take months to make probably only takes 5 minutes to model and animate Kirby.

Nintendo certainly could make a new F-Zero with a new team, F-Zero GX wasn't made by Nintendo and had a different team.

I imagine the reason that we don't see new F-Zero games anymore is because they just don't sell very well.

It's mostly because Miyamoto got disappointed with the outsourcing and it's results. He made this interview in 2007:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html?cid=recirc-peopleRecirc

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver.

It's no surprise we never saw a new game from any of them further on. As he is General Manager of R&D and Managing Director on the Board of Executives, he manages to greenlight Nintendo's in-house games at his will. So while Miyamoto is still there, we'll not see a new Star Fox/F-Zero for a very long time.

People seriously need to stop acting like Metroid is dead or Nintendo is ignoring it just because there hasn't been a release for the 3DS or Wii U yet.

My opinion is that Metroid: Other M just soured parts of the fanbase so much that the series is pretty volatile now, so it's dead to them until Retro Studios or some other developer that isn't Team Ninja (or Yoshio Sakamoto) takes the reins.

Crazy, but I've seen this happen in my circle of friends.

Yep...Remember the N64?

It's mostly because Miyamoto got disappointed with the outsourcing and it's results. He made this interview in 2007:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html?cid=recirc-peopleRecirc

It's no surprise we never saw a new game from any of them further on. As he is General Manager of R&D and Managing Director on the Board of Executives, he manages to greenlight Nintendo's in-house games at his will. So while Miyamoto is still there, we'll not see a new Star Fox/F-Zero for a very long time.

He was talking about the GBA F-Zero games. He wasn't disappointed by GX.

Volotaire

It's probably because they require a low budget, they make decent sales on the games and it's a franchise that can appeal to both children and Nintendo fans since its relatively popular. It's also a franchise that bodes well with experimentation for new ideas, so it has intrinsic value for the productivity for the rest of the company as well. Yoshi Yarn is one example.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The OP is basically "Nintendo stop making games for other people. Make games I want, fuck other people".

Lol so many

Return to dreamland in 2012, triple deluxe in 2014, after no games since kirby 64

TWO GAMES AND WE'RE DROWNING IN THEM

WHERE ARE THE NEW IPS TO IGNORE NINTENDO

Edit: wow i actually forgot squeak squad and mass attack existed at all

gogogow

I don't understand how there are literally dozens of games in this franchise, almost all released to middling sales, while other games that would diversify their portfolio more (i.e., Metroid, F-Zero) are completely ignored.

Why does Nintendo have such a boner for this series? I don't get it.

Middling sales? Then I don't know how to describe Metroid's (huge decline since original Prime) and F-Zero's sales.

The latest Kirby sold 550k in Japan alone and still charting.

kswiston

The OP is basically "Nintendo stop making games for other people. Make games I want, fuck other people".

The games that he does want would also cost like 5-10x as much as these various Kirby games. Unless people think that Metroid Prime 3 and Kirby's Epic Yarn were comparable cost ventures.

MrBadger

Colourful platformers are something that Nintendo fans like and Kirby games never demand a huge budget like a new Metroid or Starfox would. Plus his simplistic design allows Kirby to be the template for creative game ideas, like Mass Attack, Canvas Curse or the whole power copying concept itself.

Shufel

Yep, there's a reason he's one of the "big four" in Smash. It's Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby - not Samus, not Captain Falcon, not Marth.
Which is slightly bullshit because Donkey Kong is far more iconic and recognizable than Kirby.

maxcriden

Didn't Epic Yarn and Squeak Squad almost reach 2 million copies? Sure, Kirby is not PokéMario, but also not Metroid, Star Fox or F-Zero.

Also, yes, lots of interesting spin-offs. Mass Attack is my favorite game in the series, the creativity in that game is quite high.

Yes! That game is amazing and supremely under-appreciated!

Honestly, they don't make enough!

Kirby should actually be taken to other genres, just think of the possibilities.

Get Camelot on Kirby Golf or Kirby Tennis, how about Game Freak or Creatures makes a Kirby RPG? Just like HAL has worked on Pokemon numerous times (AND NEEDS TO DO MORE POKEMON GAMES!), work with Sega to maybe have a Kirby's Avalanche sequel by reskinning a Puyo game...

... use Puyo X Tetris as the base, Kirby's Tetris Avalanche?

Kirby Pinball by Jupiter, hell rumor has it that Fuse Games (now Barnstorm) were underway with one on DS. The team did Mario Pinball Land and Metroid Prime Pinball.

KIRBY KART!!!

That and Air Ride 2, just SO MUCH POTENTIAL for Kirby, also I do feel that Triple Deluxe is RTDL 2.0, which is cool for 3DS, but I hope they don't keep the same theme like that for all eternity. How about going back to Kirby 64 at some point. :(

This is part of why Mass Attack was so amazing. It included a new version of Kirby's Pinball and a very basic Kirby RPG, and several other minigames!

KMA_BrawlBall.png

kirby_mass_attack_brawl_ball-202x300.png

KMA_KirbyQuest.png

kirby-mass-attack-mini-games.jpg

Kusagari

Every Kirby game is guaranteed to break a mill unlike Metroid or F-Zero.

Plus Kirby games are probably way cheaper to make than Metroid.

maxcriden

If this topic was from 2003/2004 you'd be saying why doesn't Nintendo make kirby games. The series has had major droughts over the years and the last handheld kirby that wasnt a port was 2007. Just like the last console game before Epic Yarn (2010) was Air Ride (2003) a 7 year gap

FWIW, the last handheld Kirby that wasn't a port was Mass Attack in 2011.

also

Banned
They sell well, even if they aren't exactly the tried and true formula. I imagine they aren't difficult to develop. Triple Deluxe was announced in October and released in January. No doubt it was in development before that but even still that is a quick turnaround. On top of that Kirby is lovable and fun. The Kirby world is filled with some memorable enemies and such. There has been enough new things tried with the franchise to keep it fresh without it becoming something else entirely.
There was a quote from Iwata (can't find it right now) where he said that they prefer to reveal games close to the release date because if they are unveiled too early people may lose interest and forget about them so don't read too much into that.

Because HAL Labs seems to want to make Kirby, and then another Kirby, and then some more Kirby.

I'm not sure there's much talent in the studio to go and make something completely different like an F-Zero, so I don't really mind.
You talk as if Kirby games are all the same. Canvas Curse, Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland are all completely different games in terms of gameplay. Sharing the same game world =/= being the same game,

Top Bottom