• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Resident Evil 3 get so little love?

Because it's the same map as Resident Evil 2, but you play as Jill, and Nemesis follows you. Why praise a game that used the same levels as the previous game?

Because it's the same map as Resident Evil 2, but you play as Jill, and Nemesis follows you. Why praise a game that used the same levels as the previous game?

It barely reuses any of the same levels from 2. There is a brief sojourn through the RPD, but it is changed around and is more of a clever homage than anything. Most of the environments are totally new.

My most played RE game ever... the most enjoyable between the first 3 games.

.... your post make no sense :\

It only used maybe 5% of the MAIN police station from RE2, everything else was new.

Chabbles

Resi 3 mightn't get a new thread every day praising it, but it gets the appreciation it deserves when ever its talked about.

RE3 isn't 3, it's Disc C of RE2. Personally, I enjoyed it and the Nemesis was a brilliant twist to the series. However, I've felt that the game got too saturated so I don't have that nuanced feeling of the original titles - but that all changed at REmake. Man.. OOOHHH man!

Jawmuncher

It's a shame that RE6's Ustanak couldn't hold a candle to Nemesis.
But I knew that was going to be the case as soon as I saw his design.
So unmenacing compared to nemesis.

Angry Guy

I've got it sitting on my PS3 waiting for me to play it. I got it basically just because Nemesis is my favorite game monster of all time and I don't want to be a poser that loves him but hasn't played his game.

Fezan

Did you play Haunting Ground? It was the last true survival horror game capcom released and it was all about being hunted.

fuck how can i forgot about that. yeah that game was also good . but still nothing beats nemesis breaking into window and following you around
picgifs-resident-evil-3-nemesis-1117407.gif

It was actually a "BIO3" that featured HUNK on a cruise ship. It began development around November 1997, before 2 was released. It would've completed the trilogy. However, the project was rearranged so that Kamiya took over as director and started from scratch on the PS2. It was later renamed BIO4 and eventually became Devil May Cry, while BIO1.9 took the BIO3 title.

(It can get pretty confusing)

Who's the person working on Biohazard who really, really fucking loves ships? Because they've crammed them into SO MANY OF THE GAMES, and more frequently in side/spinoff titles (which makes it seem even more like it's one specific person's thing that they're pushing).

Jawmuncher

Who's the person working on Biohazard who really, really fucking loves ships? Because they've crammed them into SO MANY OF THE GAMES, and more frequently in side/spinoff titles (which makes it seem even more like it's one specific person's thing that they're pushing).

I wanna know this as well.
It's been done so much that I never want to see another ship with zombies ever again.

Wools

Neo Member
I'm a massive fan of the original PSone trilogy of Resident Evil games but admit it's my least favourite of the series.

I love the Alien to Aliens switch up in firepower of RE3 with the crafting of gunpowder, a machine gun gifted to you from the off and an item that allows you to hold 3 F Aid sprays in 1 inventory block. All that combines to remove some of the frustration of ammo management and allows you to let rip.

But the Nemisis is my least favourite part, not because of the jump moments his reveals provide, but because I loved the scary ambiance of the lone mansion and abandoned streets of Racoon City. Now the Nemisis breaks that so you either have to spend all that ammo killing him time after time or keep running, meaning you miss some of the most refined 32 bit worlds Capcom got the chance to make.

The Resident Evil PSone trilogy is my favourite of all time & RE3 should be more highly praised, but it is the weakest in my eyes.

Jawmuncher

I'm a massive fan of the original PSone trilogy of Resident Evil games but admit it's my least favourite of the series.

I love the Alien to Aliens switch up in firepower of RE3 with the crafting of gunpowder, a machine gun gifted to you from the off and an item that allows you to hold 3 F Aid sprays in 1 inventory block. All that combines to remove some of the frustration of ammo management and allows you to let rip.

But the Nemisis is my least favourite part, not because of the jump moments his reveals provide, but because I loved the scary ambiance of the lone mansion and abandoned streets of Racoon City. Now the Nemisis breaks that so you either have to spend all that ammo killing him time after time or keep running, meaning you miss some of the most refined 32 bit worlds Capcom got the chance to make.

The Resident Evil PSone trilogy is my favourite of all time & RE3 should be more highly praised, but it is the weakest in my eyes.

It seems like a lot of the discussion here is turning into whether you liked Nemesis or not. Which is interesting.

Katarina

Neo Member
Loved Resident Evil 3 so much, everything about it. I've played through it so many times that I've lost track at this point, lol. Some of my most memorable areas were the hospital, park, and clock tower. The atmosphere in those environments was just amazing in my opinion.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
It is a good game but at the time it paled in comparison to RE2. It only had 1 playable character and felt like a side story to RE2 (it kinda was a side story actually taking place in Raccoon city again).

STARS.

Seriously. I love Geoff.
This was one of the hardest RE games for me to complete... but it laid the foundation for Mercenaries as well, I believe. Once I unlocked that mode? It was all I played. RE3 is definitely under appreciated in my book.

params7

Banned
Brilliant thread, because RE3 is not only my favorite RE, but its among the top videogames I've ever played. RE3 I felt had it all - Thrills, puzzles, more fluid controls, ubcs and mercanaries, gunpowders, nemesis. Code Veronica is a close second for me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think my main disappointment with this game was the lack of a dual character system, especially RE2's, where you play the same story from two different perspectives. RE2 took the character selection from 1 and hugely improved it by making it so that both stories were canon. RE3 just dropped it altogether. Always been a huge fan of different PoVs, especially in games. Although, I guess it could be argued that this entire game is a different PoV to RE2, because of how it's placed in the timeline, and revisiting Raccoon City at a different time and seeing other sections of the city (and revisiting old ones!) was really cool. I'd also like to echo the sentiment that being constantly pursued by Nemesis didn't let you soak in the atmosphere as well as the first two games.

Still a good game, but the weakest of the traditional RE games, IMO.

cyber_ninja

RE 3 is my favorite followed by RE4, Code Veronica, RE, RE 2, RE 5 and Revelations. RE 6 is not a RE game it is an abomination and an insult to entire RE franchise.

Sanctuary

The big RE fans around here seem to actually think it's one of the better games from the series. Strangely, the game never did much for me (and I've played them all except Revelations and RE6), and the actual Nemesis was more annoying than "scary". All that really stood out in that game to me was "S.T.A.R.S.!".

I think the main reason I didn't find it all that special is because the leap from the first game to the second was so drastic in terms of quality, and the third game couldn't really raise the bar much higher at all in comparison. It was also more of an action game than even the second and you basically spent time either trying to avoid fighting Nemesis, or conserving your ammo for him. It was the only RE game beside 5 that I finished once and never wanted to touch again.

Because the game is poorly designed and lacks a cohesive vision.

It has a couple of things going for it and the beginning of the game shows promise with no clear direction of where to go, just a goal and an entire nightmare of a city to explore. At that point, it feels scary and filled with atmosphere. Then, everything falls apart as you realize you are not really free to explore anything, it's just an illusion. You can only move from one section to the next, after you find the required item to advance, while the game throws a few extra zombies at you so you don't die out of boredom. After you realize that, the suspension of disbelief goes out of the window and you see the game for what it truly is, an expanded mercenary mode with little to no story and plenty of ammo. The tension is gone.

"But Nemesis!", you say. Nemesis is a great idea, a monster that doesn't follow the rules of the other enemies and can keep you on your toes. I don't like its design and the whole S.T.A.R.S. thing is just dumb, but I definitely like the idea behind it. Used sparingly, it would have been very effective, but soon you realize that he's not a real threat except for the boss fights and he's just being used to distract you from the poor level design and lack of atmosphere. At that point, you start ignoring him.

Then you get to the story, which is pretty much recycled material from the previous games. We get the same setting, Racoon City devastated by the T-virus and, other than Nemesis, the only new thing is the UBCS team, which is recycling the story from S.T.A.R.S., except this time you don't care one bit about it. There's a traitor in the UBCS? Why would the player care? In fact, not even Jill cares during the game. Why would she care about what happens to a bunch of mercenaries paid by Umbrella? The only decent guy among them dies within a minute and then you get Carlos, who has no personality whatsoever. No little kid running away from her mutated father trying to impregnate her, no wife in denial, no corrupt sociopath going insane and hunting people down, no falling in love with someone with a secret, no finding out about your brother and what happened after the mansion incident. Nothing.

The game looks better than RE2, the music is good, I wanted to play as Jill, the mechanics are the best of any RE on the PS1 and some parts of the game are actually good. In fact, it feels better than most games on the system (mostly because it's basically a RE2 expansion pack with extra levels), but in the end it feels disappointing.

I was pretty excited the first five minutes or so, when I thought I was exploring an open city, I had to find a way to escape and felt like my decisions mattered. I was hoping I would find other survivors, some of them good, others not so much, which would have provided an interesting ride, an engaging game and some motivation beyond shooting things. Maybe different scenarios, depending on my decisions. None of that happened.

Jobbs

Banned
I thought this game was fantastic. I remember the day it came out. I was in my mid teens at the time, and I recall saving my money up to make sure I could get this right on release day. Resident Evil 2 was one of my favorite games. I'd played through it multiple times.

Looking back, I do think this is probably one of the better Resident Evil games, and one of the truer "survival horror" entries in the franchise. I may be looking back through rose colored glass windows, (I haven't played it recently) but one of the things I love so much about that game is it really does present a true fight or flight choice.

I could write a dissertation on survival horror, and I plan to one day make a presentation at GDC entitled "why Outlast blows ass", but suffice it to say it's my belief that everything survival horror branches out from a core choice, a core element: Fight or flight. This should be a difficult and REAL choice posed to the player repeatedly throughout the game, and it should often be unclear what the best course of action is. This should be a real choice where either decision may be valid, and a lot of the anxiety of playing the game branches from being repeatedly faced with this choice.

Early Resident Evil games presented this choice to the player (I'd argue that RE4 and on pretty much dropped this in favor of pure action), but I think none presented this choice more clearly than RE3.

Did you play Haunting Ground? It was the last true survival horror game capcom released and it was all about being hunted.

This is one I missed and always wanted to play. Wish it'd come out on PSN. I don't have a PS2 around anymore.

I fucking adore Resident Evil 3. I'll never forget being blown away by the Nemesis and his terrifying chase sequences. I loved the new additions to the combat mechanics that, while they gave you more options, still kept you limited in terms of what you could do in any given situation.

I really like the core story because of how focused it is, especially coming off of RE2's somewhat grander scale. The more personal narrative of Jill trying to make it out, and crossing paths with the Umbrella team was super interesting to me.

I recall going to CV with high expectations and being super let down by how much of a step back it was in nearly every single regard.

KyleCross

HOLY SHIT.
This is one I missed and always wanted to play. Wish it'd come out on PSN. I don't have a PS2 around anymore.
Believe it or not, but I haven't played but a few minutes of it. A friend of mine was a huge fan of it and I ended up watching a playthrough on YouTube back in like... 2006 or 2007. I happened into a Kmart some months later and found a new copy sitting there for $15 so I snatched it up. Crazy to see that it is rare now, like $80 for a used copy? Fucking nuts.

There was hope for a PSN release tho as the ESRB re-rated it for the PSN... but that was like 2 years ago and it never came out, so I guess Capcom abandoned it.

tofupants

Neo Member
The reason it's one of my least favorite of the classic REs is because of the Tyrant Nemesis. When I want to explore, or at least take my time to get a lay of the land, the last thing I want is to encounter that guy all the time. Its probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be (it been awhile) I just remember it being very disruptive to the flow of the game.

This is exactly what I found. Nemesis just fouled up the experience for me. Mind any game that has the time counter etc tends to get my goat.

RE2 and 1 are for me better with RE2 full of tension. By the time I'd finished RE3 I had an arsenal... I can see why you like it, same way I can see why people like RE5 but...

I've always thought it had the best control and gameplay of any of the PS1 Resident Evil games. The movement is so quick and good overall. RE2 is probably the one I replay the most, but RE3 definitely feels the best to play, the combat in that game is actually a lot of fun.

The environments are great (though nothing will ever trump the Spencer Mansion) and Nemesis is a fantastic enemy with a great, iconic design. Him being able to chase you through doors was an excellent decision and I think makes him initially much more intimidating than Mr. X (though he's cool in his own right and gets credit for doing it first). Ammo mixing feels a little underdeveloped as a mechanic at first, but it actually offers a lot of different opportunities to play through the game in different ways on repeat plays. Do you want to mix up as much explosive ammo as you can? Or go for the ultra-rare freeze or magnum rounds? The choices you can make also adds some nice replay value, as does the fact that most rooms have a few different enemy layouts chosen at random. Overall a lot of the game feels like it was built around providing a ton of replay value. Some of the later puzzles are more involved than anything you do in RE2, but they're also kind of annoying (especially the randomized ones).

RE2 and 1 are for me better with RE2 full of tension. By the time I'd finished RE3 I had an arsenal... I can see why you like it, same way I can see why people like RE5 but...

I'm pretty sure RE2 has a greater or at least comparable ammo to enemy ratio. The only games that handle the whole 'limited ammo supply' thing well are RE1 and REmake and even those generally have enough ammo to kill most or all enemies.

RE3 was the first RE game I played. I was too young when I played it because it scared the crap out of me. I got so scared that I couldn't finish the game and didn't play any other game till Jedi Outcast came along.

ksdixon

I've said this many times before, but I'd love to see a RE2/3Make that did RE3 Day 1, RE2 Scenario A, RE2 Scenario B, RE3 Day 2, and The 4th Survivor with much more integration between all of them, a massive massive Mercs mode, and so on.

This is exactly what I want too. I'd like to see Racoon City mapped out definitively; and for Capcom to add-onto the game with Remakes of all other games. Lets say that you want to venture into some previously non-connected part of Racoon City where OutBreak File 1 & 2 are held, you'd get a locked door. The item you need to unlock it wouldn't appear in your treasure chest until you have downloaded the RE:Racoon City game's 'Outbreak DLC'; then you can go use the key on the door to access the Outbreak areas in your main campaign. Something like that would be badass.

Aberrant

Oh god, the horror when you realized that big bastard could follow you from room to room.

RE 1,2&3 are all amazing. REmake is a must have. Resident Evil 0 is worth having if you are a fan of the originals.

I will suck all of capcom off if they remake 2/3.

News Bot

Banned

It would be Kamiya, I believe. He initially proposed setting BIO1 on a ship rather than a mansion. He then worked as a planner on BIO3 and proposed a cruise ship setting, before he became director and the setting turned to Mallet Island.

Gaiden and Gun Survivor 4 were set on cruise ships because they were essentially recycled scenarios based on the scrapped BIO3.

Revelations is the only "independent" one, I believe.

Why would someone like Jill be sitting around in her apartment during the outbreak waiting for zombies to literally start clawing at her door before she decides to leave?

She was waiting for the Army/National Guard to arrive. After nearly a week she figured nobody was coming to help, so she set out on her own. The city wasn't actually in complete chaos all the time, there were lulls between the skirmishes. It wasn't completely doomed until September 28, when the game starts.

It has a couple of things going for it and the beginning of the game shows promise with no clear direction of where to go, just a goal and an entire nightmare of a city to explore. At that point, it feels scary and filled with atmosphere. Then, everything falls apart as you realize you are not really free to explore anything, it's just an illusion. You can only move from one section to the next, after you find the required item to advance, while the game throws a few extra zombies at you so you don't die out of boredom. After you realize that, the suspension of disbelief goes out of the window and you see the game for what it truly is, an expanded mercenary mode with little to no story and plenty of ammo. The tension is gone.

"But Nemesis!", you say. Nemesis is a great idea, a monster that doesn't follow the rules of the other enemies and can keep you on your toes. I don't like its design and the whole S.T.A.R.S. thing is just dumb, but I definitely like the idea behind it. Used sparingly, it would have been very effective, but soon you realize that he's not a real threat except for the boss fights and he's just being used to distract you from the poor level design and lack of atmosphere. At that point, you start ignoring him.

Then you get to the story, which is pretty much recycled material from the previous games. We get the same setting, Racoon City devastated by the T-virus and, other than Nemesis, the only new thing is the UBCS team, which is recycling the story from S.T.A.R.S., except this time you don't care one bit about it. There's a traitor in the UBCS? Why would the player care? In fact, not even Jill cares during the game. Why would she care about what happens to a bunch of mercenaries paid by Umbrella? The only decent guy among them dies within a minute and then you get Carlos, who has no personality whatsoever. No little kid running away from her mutated father trying to impregnate her, no wife in denial, no corrupt sociopath going insane and hunting people down, no falling in love with someone with a secret, no finding out about your brother and what happened after the mansion incident. Nothing.

The game looks better than RE2, the music is good, I wanted to play as Jill, the mechanics are the best of any RE on the PS1 and some parts of the game are actually good. In fact, it feels better than most games on the system (mostly because it's basically a RE2 expansion pack with extra levels), but in the end it feels disappointing.

I was pretty excited the first five minutes or so, when I thought I was exploring an open city, I had to find a way to escape and felt like my decisions mattered. I was hoping I would find other survivors, some of them good, others not so much, which would have provided an interesting ride, an engaging game and some motivation beyond shooting things. Maybe different scenarios, depending on my decisions. None of that happened.

It is basically an (expanded) expansion pack. That's what it was initially designed as. That's not a bad thing in itself. It is most definitely not poorly designed or lacking in vision, though. The levels are some of my favorite in the series (the streets remind me of my own city) and the atmosphere, while different from the previous two games, is still on a pretty high-level of its own. The story is fine and is only "recycled" if you go out of your way to dumb things down and extrapolate. It was meant to be simpler than the previous games. There wasn't meant to be any mystery, because you already know the reasons why things are in shambles from playing the previous two games. Shoehorning mystery when you already know everything gives you the likes of BIO5 and BIO6's stories. It's tedious, unnecessary and does more to hurt the narrative than anything. The point of the story was to portray a simple "escape" chronicle while explaining things left-over from the previous two games.

How is Nemesis going after S.T.A.R.S. dumb? The point of B.O.W.s was that they could be ordered to act out certain commands and accomplish certain objectives. Nemesis isn't being used to "distract" you, he's being used to keep you on your toes. It's fine if you don't like the theme of the game, but don't make things up to try and justify it. That's just poor.

Carlos has plenty of personality, some would say overbearingly so. You can actually influence his character development based on the choices you make. In essence he has more personality than most characters in the series.

Soodanim

Gold Member
There's far too much "It's an expansion of 2" stuff. You see less than 10 rooms of 2 that are done with in 20 minutes. It lets you know where you are, gives you an "Oh shit, it's this place!" moment and sets you on your way. And that would be without all of the changes to the gameplay. Quick turn. Dodging. Gunpowder. Exploding barrels. None of that was in 2.

It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it added some decent changes and there is nothing wrong with it being RE2 version 2. CV suffered in various ways, and is arguably worse than 3. 3 being not world's apart from 2 is not a negative, it's a positive.

You can't be mad at a game for not living up to what you made up in your head. That's like being mad at not being given a sword so you can play it like Onimusha (which would have been awesome).

I forgot another reason why 3 is so good:

180FF4324C850DA733B4CA

"I'd rather starve to death in here, than get eaten by those undead monsters! Now leave me alone!"

Dario Rosso, the poet of the apocalypse

Dario Rosso is one of those strange ass characters that leave an impression that sticks with you even tho he is such a useless minor character. I remember him, his voice and his lines way better than anything Carlos for example does. I don't get it.

Dario Rosso is one of those strange ass characters that leave an impression that sticks with you even tho he is such a useless minor character. I remember him, his voice and his lines way better than anything Carlos for example does. I don't get it.

Yeah, he was just such an oddball, I loved him. Plus you get that great optional moment where if you backtrack to the first area you find out what happened to him.

chemicals

It's a shame that RE6's Ustanak couldn't hold a candle to Nemesis.
But I knew that was going to be the case as soon as I saw his design.
So unmenacing compared to nemesis.

i disagree! I felt Ustanak was scary as all hell. Playing through those scenes where you have to sneak around him are tense as shit. Also if you are playing as Jake and he catches Sherry Birkin and just drills and slices her face for 4 full minutes... So brutal.

i disagree! I felt Ustanak was scary as all hell. Playing through those scenes where you have to sneak around him are tense as shit. Also if you are playing as Jake and he catches Sherry Birkin and just drills and slices her face for 4 full minutes... So brutal.

I didn't think Ustanak was scary because those sections were way too trial and error. There is pretty much only one path you can take to sneak around him. Nemesis lets you deal with him however you want: fight him, run away, try and get by him, etc. I did like his hand claw thing though.

It came out too late in the PSX life for me. As I had moved onto the N64 by then.

I would love to give it a try at some point though.

You're upset that it turned out to have the same essential game design as all other classic REs? Huh.

This is exactly what I found. Nemesis just fouled up the experience for me. Mind any game that has the time counter etc tends to get my goat.

Actually, Nemesis doesn't appear on a timed counter - all of his appearances are scripted (though *when* they get triggered depends on choices you make in the story).

Personal favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipW5ARYXMfU

RE3 is the game that best communicates the sheer hopelessness of what's happened to Raccoon City.

Top Bottom