• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Sony neglect the Wild Arms series?

Zee-Row

Banned
Seems like Sony only pushes their western teams to make games. The only Japanese team that they have left that's relevant is Team Ico.

Nix

Banned
Because they pushed out Tactics Ogre, and apparently, that's enough effort for them. No more necro series for us, until they need some more money. No sireee.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ninja Scooter said:
In case you haven't been following the worldwide videogame market, most of those are jRPGs or decidedly "japanese" games, and jRPGs and decidedly japanese games don't sell much outside of Japan (and barely IN japan). It's not 1997 anymore when every Japanese RPG could piggy back off FF7's success.

Yup, we need more Zumba games and military FPS, instead of some actually original stuff.

RPGCrazied

There was a rumor of Wild Arms 6 at TGS a couple years ago. Most of them are pretty good, except 4, really didn't care for that. 5 is fantastic! Sure the ending is pretty awful, but it has an awesome open world feeling. Wouldn't be awesome for an HD collection of 3, 4 & 5? Will never happen I know. So many RPG series need this treatment. :( Xenosaga, Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, Kingdom Hearts, etc...

NeededSleep

So many brands going away from consoles these days. Wish they would at least keep them alive on handheld consoles. And hell i would love more portable love. I actually have been enjoying the rpgs on portables a lot more than the console ones this generation.

Cmagus

so sad Wild Arms is so good but time to face the facts JRPG on console is slowly on it's way out, handhelds is now where it is at.

Hobbun

This generation for me has been a bit depressing.

Don't get me wrong, I have played some great games this gen, but I REALLY miss the JRPG love of the 90's and a good portion of the life of the PS2. That was my pinnacle of gaming. And that JRPGs seem to be becoming a thing of the past, it doesnt bode well for my future of RPGs.

I'm sure there will be that sparse RPG released that I want to play, but it will maybe happen a couple times a year.

The main companies to save me now is ATLUS or Falcom/XSeed if we see the rest of LoH.

Here is a question, what is SCEJ doing these days?

Every majour relevant SONY franchise I can name off of the top of my head is made outside of Japan with the notable exception of The Last Guardian.

I know SCEJ has been doing some PSP stuff in the past such as Patapon, Locoroco, patchwork heroes, the Echo games for PSN, but where are the big budget stuff? The only home console game I can think of having come out of SCEJ in the last few years is Siren Bloodcurse which was billed more as a PSN DD game anyway.

What are they working on over there anyway? I think that gravity manipulating PSVita game is SCEJ, but what else?

ikickurface

Neo Member
It really is a pity that the Wild Arms series faded away the way it did. I always thought the series had a lot of potential for succeeding in the west. Unfortunately the further along the series went, the further it got away from its wild west theme.

I believe the Wild Arms series houses the potential to boost the popularity of JRPG's in the west (especially for older gamers). If the creators (or some other studio) were to attempt a reboot of the franchise, I'd hope they would consider the following...

A) Western audiences LOVE the wild west as a story telling venue
B) Many prior JRPG enthusiasts (and anime fans) feel that Japanese story telling has stagnated in recent years and thus no longer feel as interested in new material from the east as they once did.
C) Many gaming genres have altered radically in the past few years, that includes JRPG's. However unlike some genres *Cough FPS's* some JRPG developers seem keen on sticking to older JRPG mechanics in attempts to appeal to hardcore fans. This probably should not be the case for any series reboot.

Wild Arms has the potential to bring a whole new generation into the JRPG genre, just as FF7 did back in the late 90's. Reviving the franchise introduces exciting possibilities for the series---but only if it is revived.

So what changes would you all like to see made to the Wild Arms franchise if the series were to get the green light for a reboot?

Note: Changing the music is not an option.

Bulzeeb

Callibretto said:
I'm not a big fan of Legend of Dragoon, the battle system rely too much on reflex and timing that I have hard time playing it, especially that green dude (I remember them by their color, not names), his timing is so weird I rarely pull off successful attack with him.

but, if given the choice between bringing back LoD and WA, I think I'll choose Legend of Dragoon, LoD is kinda like Sony's FF, a big budget rpg, their fmv is ridiculously awesome for it's time. I want Sony to do that kinda of project once more, their landmark RPG title, with high production value.

that is precisely what i loved about the game, I managed to master all combos for each character, and that's also why I like the mario and luigi rpgs on DS, man I'd love to see more rpgs with active battle systems like these 2 =/

impact

Banned
Because Fat Princess is clearly a more valuable IP to this company run by idiots. Why does Sony neglect the entire PS1 era? Because Sony.

Zetta

After Wild Arms 3 the series kinda went in a direction I did not like. Sony should make another but more akin to the first three. Damn it would make my fucking day if a new one was announced but sadly I doubt it ; ; . Oh hell just realized this was four years ago, come on Sony!.

Rurunaki

Jrpgs never sell well enough in the West. Trend is for 3rd person shooters and FPS. You could reskin CoD and slap a different name on it and it will sell millions. Hopefully there will be a resurgence of Japanese interest in making jrpgs again outside pokemon.

Bloodrage

Banned
Between Wild Arms, Alundra, and Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud, and Colony Wars, it's easy to tell that Sony clearly doesn't realize the worth of their own IPs. It's a shame, really. Final Fantasy sucks ass now and I'd much rather have one of these instead.

I don't think Akifumi Kaneko is working at Media.Vision anymore. His latest project is Senki Zessho Symphogear which contains a bunch of Wild Arms references like Armed Gear(?), LiNKER, etc.

From what I understand he is the creator of the Wild Arms series and worked on most of the games (except the 5th one apparently).

I wouldn't mind seeing a new game. What I played of 3 and 5 was enjoyable as far as I can recall.

Takao

Banned
I don't think Akifumi Kaneko is working at Media.Vision anymore. His latest project is Senki Zessho Symphogear which contains a bunch of Wild Arms references like Armed Gear(?), LiNKER, etc.

From what I understand he is the creator of the Wild Arms series and worked on most of the games (except the 5th one apparently).

I wouldn't mind seeing a new game. What I played of 3 and 5 was enjoyable as far as I can recall.

Kaneko owns a video game development studio called Witchcraft. They shipped two projects this year; Hajime No Ippo: The Fighting! on PS3 and The Irregular At Magic High School: Out of Order on PS Vita. He's expressed interested in revisiting Wild Arms earlier this year, which has kind of manifested itself in Soul Sacrifice Delta DLC and other little things.

I'd say a revival would be a perfect Vita game, but this is Sony. At this point they're more likely to make it an iOS exclusive than release a game on Vita.

Its been 7 years since the last game :(

Since no one told you the last time:

PS1 : Wild Arms ( SCE ) { 1996-12-20 } - 116,393 / 415,138
PS1 : Wild Arms 2 ( SCE ) { 1999-09-02 } - 164,082 / 280,037
PS2 : Wild Arms 3 ( SCE ) { 2002-03-14 } - 156,997 / 273,318
PS2 : Wild Arms Alter Code: F ( SCE ) { 2003-11-27 } - 102,543 / 167,254
PS2 : Wild Arms 4 ( SCE ) { 2005-03-24 } - 131,728 / 186,221
PS2 : Wild Arms 5 ( SCE ) { 2006-12-14 } - 68,789 / 117,975
PSP : Wild Arms XF ( SCE ) { 2007-08-09 } - 28,508 / 52,090

Every successive game sold worse than the one prior.

Top Bottom