• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does the DS get no shelf space at Gamestop/EB?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Isn't buying shelf space kind of dumb when there are only three major contenders in the video game space? If Sony and MS stopped paying, it's not like EB would empty out their store or anything.

An EB near me displays their DS games in the back corner, right behind a huge concrete pillar that's almost impossible to get around and there's usually only ever three or four games sitting there. You have to ask at the counter if they have a DS game in stock, which they usually don't. Beat that!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Infernal Monkey said:
An EB near me displays their DS games in the back corner, right behind a huge concrete pillar that's almost impossible to get around and there's usually only ever three or four games sitting there. You have to ask at the counter if they have a DS game in stock, which they usually don't. Beat that!

the fanboy in me always got annoyed with where they put the DS games.

but now i notice the more popular its getting, the more space its getting.

its not like this is something very new btw.

i cant remember GBA games ever NOT being in the far back

To answer everyones concern.

The DS will be much more prominent in the stores when Fall Relay hits.

PSP has such high amounts of space due to the amount of 3rd party accessories that are available for it. Its quite insane.

But yes DS will grow substantially in space during the new relay.

Juice said:
It's no secret that Microsoft and Sony give EB incentives to improve their shelf space. It's a practice Nintendo (to my knowledge) has never been willing to partake in (outside of an occassional vendor of the month rental).

That's why.

/thread

Well, the thread didn't end, but this is the truth. This is just another facet of the business where Nintendo is unwilling to compete with Sony and Microsoft. They don't pay for ad space in catalogs, etc, either.

On top of that, Nintendo is the most tight-fisted in other ways with retailers. For example, a Game Crazy manager told me that Nintendo (unlike most publishers) doesn't give them credit for existing stock when they change the MSRP of a game.

I love Nintendo as a gamer, and I respect their profitability, but I despise how cheap they are from one end of the business to the other. They could still be wildly profitable (maybe even more so) if they'd put more money back into the business, and show a little willingness to let others (3rd parties, retailers, peripheral licensees) make some money, too.

Leondexter said:
Well, the thread didn't end, but this is the truth. This is just another facet of the business where Nintendo is unwilling to compete with Sony and Microsoft. They don't pay for ad space in catalogs, etc, either.

On top of that, Nintendo is the most tight-fisted in other ways with retailers. For example, a Game Crazy manager told me that Nintendo (unlike most publishers) doesn't give them credit for existing stock when they change the MSRP of a game.

I love Nintendo as a gamer, and I respect their profitability, but I despise how cheap they are from one end of the business to the other. They could still be wildly profitable (maybe even more so) if they'd put more money back into the business, and show a little willingness to let others (3rd parties, retailers, peripheral licensees) make some money, too.

I disagree. Nintendo is NOT cheap.. trust me. Nintendo is about strong partnerships.

Once again expect more DS space this fall.

Nah the ds has more shelf space then the psp. It just seems the other way round as nobody wants a psp anymore and they are just sat collecting dust taking up all the room whilst the ds sells out.

puck1337

The cases are smaller than console or PC games, and the library is tiny in comparison to most of the other current systems. Its shelf space will grow with time, but for now it isn't worth worrying about.

Why does the DS get no shelf space at Gamestop/EB?

"Because it is a system for girlyman who play with kirby and palm pilot styluseseses. You need to buy you some movies on UMD instead, yah?"

2k59h12b.jpg

PezRadar said:
I disagree. Nintendo is NOT cheap.. trust me. Nintendo is about strong partnerships.

Once again expect more DS space this fall.

I'd say listening to the Corporate GameStop employee is a pretty good idea right about now....

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
PezRadar said:
To answer everyones concern.

The DS will be much more prominent in the stores when Fall Relay hits.

PSP has such high amounts of space due to the amount of 3rd party accessories that are available for it. Its quite insane.

But yes DS will grow substantially in space during the new relay.
there's more to it than that, I's probably be fired if I share though.........

bumpkin

Haven't you noticed how hard they push for PS3 presales? I bet they have money-hat parties before and after hours. :lol

I keeeed, I keeed!

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
SonicMegaDrive said:
I wonder how much of an impact Gamestop shelf-space has on the market and on Nintendo's overall sales.
Considering that they're the 2nd largest videogame retailer in america, I'd say it's the impact is substantial.

Pixarfan

Neo Member
PuertoRicanJuice said:
They know the DS people are the most hardcore, they don't need the shelf space. They just buy games like Phoenix Wright off of eBay for $50 a pop.

speakin of im lookin for a copy

Top Bottom