• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Rockstar ever allow us to create a character for the story mode?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Like i'm sure Jason and Lucia will be great characters, but why never go the Saints Row route and allow us to fully create and customize a character. They always do fixed characters for GTA

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Like i'm sure Jason and Lucia will be great characters, but why never go the Saints Row route and allow us to fully create and customize a character. They always do fixed characters for GTA
I think it would be difficult to put different voice acting in the dialogues, due to customization, so they choose, as in other games, to use a mute protagonist... Or make defined protagonists but with their own voice acting.

Sleepwalker

Because they want to ensure their characters are made to the highest quality in writing, voice acting, mocap etc. Their stories are meticulously crafted to their artistic vision down to the last detail.

The last thing they want is to have you around looking like a clown in every scene. That's what the online mode is for.

WitchHunter

Banned
Because they decided to do so. Like some think a speaking protagonist is shit, while others think it's quite ok.

xrnzaaas

Hell no to that idea. GTA doesn't have a mute/noname protagonist anymore, they're proper established characters. The Online mode is where you're supposed to create your protagonist and it's cool since it's not story heavy.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Because they want to ensure their characters are made to the highest quality in writing, voice acting, mocap etc. Their stories are meticulously crafted to their artistic vision down to the last detail.

The last thing they want is to have you around looking like a clown in every scene. That's what the online mode is for.

This. Plus they want to craft the story around a specific character. It doesn't always work to just plug anything in there.

Holammer

What part of "story mode" do you not understand? You will get your own character for the Multiplayer part.
I don't want nor expect to able to insert my own "Original Character Do Not Steal" into the books I read or movies even.

Would it be cool to be able to create your own character with its own backstory and motivations, absolutely. Maybe for a future GTA when AI systems can create a story and dialogue on the fly.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Game stories are always better with established characters. Especially RPGs. Witcher 3 > Cyberpunk.
Can’t agree with that. The writing in Cyberpunk is better than in The Witcher 3. Geralt is better than V though.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Why do you think?

There isnt a single game in history with a create a character mode that has a great story. They are all mediocre, at best. GTA games have stories you are supposed to take seriously. The story in this looks to be of high importance going by the trailer. They dont want you running around dressed like a clown with a dildo. If you want that play online mode.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why do you think?

There isnt a single game in history with a create a character mode that has a great story.
Cyberpunk, Mass Effect, Dragon Age (at least the first one). Hell, even the Souls games, especially Bloodborne, have great stories but nonexistent plot.
They are all mediocre, at best. GTA games have stories you are supposed to take seriously. The story in this looks to be of high importance going by the trailer. They dont want you running around dressed like a clown with a dildo. If you want that play online mode.
Ironically enough, all GTA games have pretty mediocre stories except for maybe IV.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I agree with OP. I don't think every game should have a custom character, I wouldn't want a Witcher game with a custom protagonist, but I think GTA's perfectly suited for it. For one, I don't think the story would particularly suffer, because I don't think GTA tells particularly good stories anyway. I definitely wouldn't want to replace Niko Bellic, he's cool, but the main thing I care about in a game like GTA is the freedom of the crime sandbox, and I think that would only be strengthened by being able to customize my character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom