• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't conspiracy theorists think conspiracy theories are a conspiracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMerc

i think everyone in this thread needs to be wary that in all the various efforts made to make fun of 'nutcase conspiracy theorists', you don't outright dismiss each & every theory you hear as a matter of principle.

to ignorantly dismiss or ridicule a point of view that runs contrary to your own is as dumb as the people who immediately believe any theory they hear.
while many of these conspiracies are quite ridiculous, there are actually quite a few 'conspiracy theories' that have been proven to be true.
the fact that some of these are actually true, in my opinion, is enough justification to at least hear them out.

the best approach is once again, an open minded one. one where there is no self investment (whether pro or against) in the theory itself, but only self investment in fairly weighing the pros & cons of the argument.

i think everyone in this thread needs to be wary that in all the various efforts made to make fun of 'nutcase conspiracy theorists', you don't outright dismiss each & every theory you hear as a matter of principle.

to ignorantly dismiss or ridicule a point of view that runs contrary to your own is as dumb as the people who immediately believe any theory they hear.
while many of these conspiracies are quite ridiculous, there are actually quite a few 'conspiracy theories' that have been proven to be true.
the fact that some of these are actually true, in my opinion, is enough justification to at least hear them out.

the best approach is once again, an open minded one. one where there is no self investment (whether pro or against) in the theory itself, but only self investment in fairly weighing the pros & cons of the argument.
Well, most of these theories include some superhuman abilities (knowledge of the future, exact planning, unimaginable power and knowledge).

Combined with illogical motives and actions it's quite easy to dismiss them outright.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
If I recall correctly, somebody did make a conspiracy theory revolving around a notoriously delusional conspiracy theorist (I'm pretty sure it was Alex Jones) that is exactly what the OP is thinking of. Said conspiracy theory was then directly presented to that theorist, and hilarity ensued.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am no conspiracy theorist but building 7 collapsing at free fall speeds with no planes at all hitting it has raised my eyebrow a bit. I can debunk every other theory regarding 9/11 except that one.

It wasn't free fall speeds, there were stages to the collapse, and there's a detailed report on it in the thread. Just read that.

I think there's a conspiracy to convince conspiracy theorists to believe that conspiracy theories are a conspiracy

...and it goes all the way to the top

Conspiracies are basically in the same realm as religious cults and other bullshit that feeds on people who have a desire to feel special or have special insight in some manner and the more into it they are the zealous it becomes.

Kyzer

Banned
Think the same thing, OP. The real conspiracy is figuring out who the fuck put their time into editing these 3 hour documentaries about the illuminati declaring martial law and taking away our guns to put chips in our bodies because vampire overlord apocalypse

My biggest problem with conspiracy theories is how many of them require to you make a major leap in logic and have utter faith in something based on no evidence because "what if?", which is ironically very similar to something like scientology. Youll see people telling sheep to wake up and ridicule them for believing "the media" (aka accredited communications majors with a job) while spouting off info from a random youtube video or blog. Like how the fuck do you not see the problem with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom