• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Good Girls Have Become As Extinct As Unicorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

I think it is a naive view that sex is casual and can be had with many partners without emotional consequences. For both men and women. Nor are teenagers often emotionally mature enough to understand their own motivations for having sex. Especially at low maturity levels, the desire to fit in is probably the biggest reason kids do anything. Of course that extends to many situations beyond sex.

I don't know if you are advocating that point of view, but it seems like you are saying as long as the person is consenting it is cool whatever he or she chooses. I think that is naive. People consent all the time to things that are emotionally destructive. I don't advocate we do anything about the choices others make, but I certainly think it is terrible to council your kids that the most important thing in determining when you should have sex is consent. Obviously it is a requirement that both parties consent, but there are many other factors that should be weighed before taking that leap.
Well, consent implies that they've thought about it and feel comfortable with it. Obviously teenagers (both girls and boys) should be taught that no one should make them feel like they have to have sex. Open and honest communication is part of consent, and any sexual encounter should have that. (Not saying you need to open yourself up completely to someone you're having sex with, but if you're not comfortable with telling them when to stop or what you're not okay with then no, you shouldn't be having sex with that person.)

In any case, one of the factors that should be weighed should definitely not be: "You're respecting your body and yourself less if you have sex with more than x amount of partners or more than x amount of times."

verbum

I wonder what he would think living in New England back in the day:

In 1695, John Miller, a clergyman traveling through New York, found it appalling that so many couples lived together without ever being married and that no one viewed "ante-nuptial fornication" as anything scandalous or sinful. Charles Woodmason, an Anglican minister in South Carolina in 1766, described the region as a "stage of debauchery" in which polygamy was "very common," "concubinage general," and "bastardy no disrepute." These depictions of colonial North America's sexual culture sharply contradict the stereotype of Puritanical abstinence that persists in the popular imagination.

From Sexual Revolution in Early America by Richard Godbeer

As struggling single guy, it both enrages and depresses me that there could be such a guy out there, muddying the waters, who is both so wrong and so very creepy.

I mean, that Kindergarten shit is borderline Purity Ball nonsense!

number47

would you still date her if she toke a 10 man train for 6 hrs a week before?

sometimes the past should stay in the past.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
this is why we gotta stop handing out condoms like candy. birth control and plan B is against what god intended. we have to go back to basics, abstinence, abstinence, abstinence. abstinence is the only answer to a really stupid question. if we stop giving reason to have whore sex, we take away the reason to have whores. i won't even go into rape, but i ve been told that women have systems in place to shut the whole thing down.

7Th

Devolution totally made this thread just to publicly humilliate people that agree with the article.

genjiZERO

I'm sure most people on here don't agree with me, but I think both open sexuality and the conservatism advocated in the article are the wrong approaches. The older I get the more my personal values seem out of line with those of American values which seem polarizing - either lacking self-control or overcompensation for an assumed lack of self control. Sex, like everything else, should be done responsibly, thoughtfully and in moderation.

Extinct like unicorns huh? So neither of them has ever existed?

6uNbFIX.jpg

Horrible article. Both sides are to blame. We live in an age where everything is disposable. Thats the real problem these days. Dont like your phone? Change it. Don't like your house? Sell it. Cant get along with your GF? Dump her. People don't fight to save their relationships anymore unless a lot of money or kids are involved. Its not worth the effort if you can just get a new one.

mr2xxx

Banned
The issue he is describing is a great thing for women. They are becoming more and more independent with every generation, getting an education and supporting themselves. The downside/upside is that relationships are more likely to fail now because women actually have power and don't need to rely on man as much as in the past. Women are going to be more career oriented, which means we will become..............

dakimakura.jpg

On second thought take this hijab and get back into the kitchen.

I like the way the article implies the only way out of a "boring" relationship is to cheat.

There's probably not any good girls left because they get cheated on when their relationship has become stagnant.

So this dude wants to be able to sleep with a lot of women, but then wants men to settle down with a woman who has not slept around. So where are all this virginal women going to come from then? If you want double standards all I can really say is deal with it. Women don't exist to please you.

a world where love is cursed by polygamy

Great now I have 'no church in the wild' stuck in my head.

Andrew.

Banned
Please someone enlighten me on what a "good" girl is considered these days.

I'm going to guess drug and alcohol free virgins without a Facebook account.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
All the chicks on OKC I've met have been like this, and I've met I think maybe 5. So obviously not a representation of the female race. Just sharing my experiences, and it does make me sad. I partake in the debauchery, I am not taking a moral high ground. It's just depressing, and I put like 95% of the blame on myself if you want me to be serious. It is what it is, there are good chicks out there. No one is innocent though unless you are like grooming your wife from age 12 ala Mike Tyson style. (Don't ask, but I am not making that one up).

Also it's not just OKC, most of the girls I meet in real life have been DTF's except when I was young, like 18 and 19. I had two good chicks that I fucked up with, because I was selfish with my time. One of them was wifey material, so the girls I am getting now is Karma ... or something like that.

I could sure go for some of that bad karma right now..

mr2xxx

Banned
So this dude wants to be able to sleep with a lot of women, but then wants men to settle down with a woman who has not slept around. So where are all this virginal women going to come from then? If you want double standards all I can really say is deal with it. Women don't exist to please you.

You forgot to add the part where he will eventually cheat on his virgin of a wife because she is boring. Then the cycle will continue until he realizes he is the problem.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fuck this Disney-land magic make believe bullshit article, this is way worse than any kind of 90's nostalgia tumblr meme shit you could throw-up.

I guess the author is approaching this from the viewpoint that women are not persons, but things that exist to pleasure men ultimately.

I think I saw someone mention this type of effect before. Where people dehumanize others/reduce their mental capabilities to that of other animals or non-existence. That way it's easier to commit certain acts and opinions against them since they "are not the same as you".

UrokeJoe

Bad girls aren't so bad. At least most of them are upfront. It's the good girl that will break your heart, and that's bad.

Toparaman

Banned
Sure I’m an asshole that loves to take advantage of women who are willing to bang me without me having to offer too much, but at the same time I am also a gentleman that knows how to treat a lady with respect and compassion just like any other true lady should be treated.

Nice Guy.

We sometimes even joke that our future wives are currently in Kindergarten because it is comforting to know that she is currently playing with blocks and not swinging from dick to dick because they sell her a good enough story. And when she’s 18 we’ll snap her right up and she’ll have no exposure to being a slut.

And a pedophile. He's a real catch, ladies!

Also, I just realized how ironically apt the article title is. Unicorns never became extinct. They never existed, and neither did "Good Girls".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom