• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Final Fantasy X considered much better than Final Fantasy XIII?

PokéKong

I am here to cast my name into the XIII being objectively better than X hat. The disproportional panning XIII received was ridiculous, the consensus could have been "this is a linear story, just know that going in" or "I prefer a more open-ended RPG so this isn't for me", but instead all the "hallways" jokes went on ad nauseam until the game became a punchline. The game accomplished what it set out to be, it's highly entertaining, tight, polished package. I played it from beginning to end because it kept impressing me and I couldn't wait to see what would come next. With X on the other hand, I forced myself along under the hope that it was eventually building up to something better, which it never did. I even dropped the game for a long period of time, only picking it back up to finish up because I happened to unexpectedly receive X-2 as a gift.

Peroroncino

Better story, characters and pacing.

FFXII had a story for like half of the game, and the protagonist seems pointless, seriously, the game without him would be better off. As much as I also dislike Tidus, the game wouldn't be the same without his relationship with Yuna.

Oh shit, I misread and thought it's about XII, back to sleep I guess. xD

Moms are tough!

MilkBeard

Personally, I prefer XII to both and I think the criticism levelled against that particular entry is asinine at times.

I also prefer XII to both of the games mentioned. Gameplay and world design are much better. However, I think character development is a weakness in XII, and X does it a bit better.
That being said, XII is probably top 5 or 6 for me, while X and XIII are somewhere towards the bottom half. I'm just not a fan of the direction they went with these games.

The games are pretty similar, i think there's a couple of things that X does better (such as back tracking and mini games.) But overall i think XIII is the better game. The battle system is alot more creative and unique than X and the music and visuals are pretty amazing.

I think the main reason why people view them so differently is because they came out in different era's.

X for me laid the groundwork for what XIII became. It's better than XIII but when I first played X my reaction was "I enjoyed it but I don't like the direction this is heading" and then XIII fully went there.

I did like the art direction, graphics, OST and battle system better in XIII. Everything else was better in X though, even if it wasn't what I'd always call great compared to some other FFs. But yes, I think XIII followed the same direction that X really laid out, just didn't execute as well and as a result showed what a poor choice of direction it was. Seems like the re-releases of this and XII showed one was maybe overrated and one underrated (I've always felt XII was significantly better than X though).

daevious

Also, Lightning is just unlikable. The story's focus is on her (even moreso in the sequels), while she does everything to make herself unsufferable. And she was choosen as the game's "main" protagonist anyway. She is the perfect example of how not to write a main character: she is bitter, annoying, self-centered, aloof, violent (physically at least), snarky (but not in a fun way), she doesn't think things through (she basically throws a tantrum and just moves forward because she is vengeful and doesn't want to stop and think about all that happened ~ not until Palom-Porom anyway), she treats others (including her own family) like shit, and so on.
Were it not for the fact that, gameplay-wise, she is a powerhouse, no one would have kept her in their party.

The real kicker is that your reasons for hating Lightning make her sound like a more interesting character than she actually is. You can totally make that work too; Velvet from Tales of Berseria is essentially Lightning done right.
There are two key reasons for why Velvet works and Lightning doesn't:

First, Velvet is shown as a good hearted girl before
having her brother sacrificed in front of her
, which goes a long way into making her anger for the rest of the game understandable and sympathetic.

Second, the game treats Velvet like a time bomb waiting to implode and when she does
it's grounded in her emotional instability rather than any demonic power gobbledy-gook.

Contrast that with Lightning:

She's introduced as an asshole and never sheds that impression. Even though she does ease up a little by the end, it doesn't feel like she's undergone any change at all.

More damningly, however, is the fact that the game really wants you to believe Lightning is in the right at all times, even when she's being completely unreasonable with everyone around her.

The question is what is the equivalent of the "Laughing scene" for FFXIII?

Is it "Moms are Tough"?

It's "Worst birthday ever", by a country mile.

That one scene makes Lightning the most childish little shit possible, and because it's a flashback you don't even have the "Stress of being hunted/L'Cie" to justify her actions.

Hasney

PokéKong;244526046 said:
I am here to cast my name into the XIII being objectively better than X hat. <subjective opinons follow>

OK.

But seriously, it doesn't matter if it was linear or open with those awful stories and characters. I'm not here to defend FFX, because it's not great either (bar Blitzball).

It's not a tight game at all, it's a meandering mess that is stretched out for reasons that I can't understand other than "more hours plz" and one of the main jokes from defenders of the game is it gets good after 20 hours. Fuck that for most people and since I was really ill and off work one week, I decided to see and I couldn't see much of a difference except I was wondering how nobody had choked Vanille for hurting the ears of everyone when she talked.

Thank god we had the refreshing greatness of XII between X and XIII because good lord.

It's kinda telling when people gotta talk shit about Lightning to prop up the cast of FFX. It's like talking shit about Thor 2: The Dark World to prop up Batman v Superman. It's not a relative W. It's a big collective L all around.

kromeo

It's kinda telling when people gotta talk shit about Lightning to prop up the cast of FFX. It's like talking shit about Thor 2: The Dark World to prop up Batman v Superman. It's not a relative W. It's a big collective L all around.

Give it up, plenty of people like the characters in X apart from Tidus

Carbonox

FFX will always hold a special place in my heart as the first FF game I properly played.

The cast
The story
The setting
Blitzball is my favourite minigame in any game ever
The summons
Sphere grid

Despite its linearity I love everything else about it.

It's not the best FF game (that probably goes to FFXII or FFVII for me) but it's my favourite still to this day.

daegan

XIII is miles better than X, but we're not far enough away from XIII yet for people to admit it.
Story, characters, music, acting are all better in XIII. The only thing X has on it is the fact that you fight more of the antagonists than you do in XIII, where characters who you really want to fight just get offed in cutscenes.

TitanNut88

It's not the best FF game (that probably goes to FFXII or FFVII for me) but it's my favourite still to this day.

You nailed it.That's what summarizes my feelings about X and XII (my first FF was X). I know that XII is a better game, but there is something about X that makes it unique.

ViciousDS

Banned
Let's see... Better characters, Better story, equal music (except to Zarnakand is better than almost every Final Fantasy track), Better battle system, better overall gameplay, better and more immersive world.

yup

Pretty much this

XIII has one of worst crew of characters in any Final Fantasy

kromeo

The linearity doesn't bother me, in fact I think XIII gets worse once you get to Pulse

XIIIs problem for me is that it's streamlined to the point it barely even feels like an rpg. No towns, no npcs, barely any world building, minimal stats with completely linear progression for most of the game, nothing to break up the endless fighting, no sidequests other than the boring request things, trash weapon upgrade system

Kagari is like one of the queens of Final Fantasy on GAF... wonder what she thinks...

I assume by this you already know what she thinks :p

Sarek

XIII is miles better than X, but we're not far enough away from XIII yet for people to admit it.
Story, characters, music, acting are all better in XIII. The only thing X has on it is the fact that you fight more of the antagonists than you do in XIII, where characters who you really want to fight just get offed in cutscenes.

The reason XIII got bad rep is probably because it was released during the peak of everything must be open world craze. It isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than its reputation. For me X and XIII are about equal in overall quality.

jrush64

Banned
The real kicker is that your reasons for hating Lightning make her sound like a more interesting character than she actually is. You can totally make that work too; Velvet from Tales of Berseria is essentially Lightning done right.

, which goes a long way into making her anger for the rest of the game understandable and sympathetic.

Second, the game treats Velvet like a time bomb waiting to implode and when she does
it's grounded in her emotional instability rather than any demonic power gobbledy-gook.

She's introduced as an asshole and never sheds that impression. Even though she does ease up a little by the end, it doesn't feel like she's undergone any change at all.

More damningly, however, is the fact that the game really wants you to believe Lightning is in the right at all times, even when she's being completely unreasonable with everyone around her.

That one scene makes Lightning the most childish little shit possible, and because it's a flashback you don't even have the "Stress of being hunted/L'Cie" to justify her actions.

I'm still playing through Berseria and Velvet is still an annoying unlikable lame character. I played through XIii again not too long ago and I actually find Lightning to be a much better character now. Still not great by any means though.

Sazh is the best damn character in FF XIII.

Hasney

Story, characters, music, acting are all better in XIII.

No, they're just not. X's characters are not great, but at least they're not XIII level. I don't know how you can say acting when Vanille negates every word anyone ever says by making ears bleed.

It has nothing to do with time. On my deathbed I'll still be saying "fuck XIII" if asked.

The reason XIII got bad rep is probably because it was released during the peak of everything must be open world craze. It isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than its reputation. For me X and XIII are about equal in overall quality.

I don't know how you can say that when Halo and Gears were still doing gangbusters. It got a bad rep because it is not enjoyable to play.

Nottle

If we are talking about dungeon design yeah both sort of suck.
X even has a problem with bad puzzles which XIII gets around by having no puzzles.

Everything else X does better, the game still has problems, the main character, some of the character designs, the terrible mini games, nonsense story moments. However some of the nonsense is fun, it certainly is more memorable than XIII. When events happen you may feel something.

danm999

We will never be far enough away from FFXIII to get to the idea it's a good idea to do storytelling through encyclopedia entries.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
To add on to a lot of the already great reasons given, FFX's linearity is more acceptable not only because you can backtrack if you REALLY want to, but even if you don't, FFX's linearity is supported by its story. 4/5 of the story of FFX is about Yuna's pilgrimage and it kinda makes sense that outside of one detour (the trip to Luca for a Blitzball tournament that is told to you well before you arrive), the trip would be in a virtual straight line.

And surprise surprise, once the pilgrimage is over, an airship appears and the world effectively opens up (though not to the scale of Pulse in XIII to be completely fair).

BibiMaghoo

Can't really add much that hasn't been said, but the characters in 13 were wooden blocks. I could not give a single shite what they were up to, and why they even mattered. This is so far from the core of what an FF game is, that it does not deserve the title. When the game does open up it's just a boring grinding plain almost at the end of the game. Add onto that a sequel with a cliffhanger ending, and I couldn't even bring myself to play the third game, that seems to only exists so that they could squeeze more game out of assets long ago created.

FFX in comparison is a masterpiece. Alone it is a really good game. FF13 is neither of these things. The linear nature is comparable, but the quality of what is contained beyond that is not.

danm999

I don't know how you can say that when Halo and Gears were still doing gangbusters. It got a bad rep because it is not enjoyable to play.

GAF's GOTY the year FFXIII was released was Uncharted 2 for goodness sake. So much for penalizing non-open world games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FFX vs FF13 is not a flattering comparison for the latter game.

X has a better story, a mythology that is actually interesting and not needlessly obtuse, characters are better defined and on the whole more likeable.

X is far better paced, and although it takes its time introducing all its gameplay elements it doesn't feel as painfully (and artificially) drawn out as XIII. It also has lots more side content and a far more substantial and appealing end/post-game.

I don't hate XIII, but it has a lot of issues that make its first-half in particular a drag. I feel like at some point they looked at FFXII's scale and thought "we have to top that" but unfortunately the mechanics of the game (which are actually fine, in themselves) don't really suit that sort of expurgation/elongation.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
They're completely different in my opinion, and have different strengths and faults. I have to say though that the remaster really soured me on FFX – the whole pilgrim part, even if it makes sense story wise, is just badly paced. Even worse: it's very often boring.

I can understand the hate for FFXIII, but I really enjoyed it at the time, even if the characters and story was underwhelming. It was fun to play.

In the end, they're both subpar compared to the PS1-trilogy.

Rellik

X for me laid the groundwork for what XIII became. It's better than XIII but when I first played X my reaction was "I enjoyed it but I don't like the direction this is heading" and then XIII fully went there.

I did like the art direction, graphics, OST and battle system better in XIII. Everything else was better in X though, even if it wasn't what I'd always call great compared to some other FFs. But yes, I think XIII followed the same direction that X really laid out, just didn't execute as well and as a result showed what a poor choice of direction it was. Seems like the re-releases of this and XII showed one was maybe overrated and one underrated (I've always felt XII was significantly better than X though).

Yeah it was the Resident Evil 4 of Final Fantasy. Great game, but it set the series off in a certain direction that wasn't great.

danm999

Same with XIII.

Nah, everything in FFXIII is in datalog. They even have to give basic exposition to you through datalog.

Lightning and Sazh are held aboard a military 'Purge' train along with a group of civilians destined for exile. In a stark contrast to the uncertain and despairing people around her, Lightning appears determined and focused.
She seizes upon an instant of inattention to disable a guard, and her impressive display inspires Sazh and the other civilians to take up arms against the soldiers.

After clashing with army forces, the train crashes to a halt in the war-torn district known as the Hanging Edge.

Sazh attempts to figure out Lightning's angle, but she shows little desire to share. The former soldier throws herself into battle without the slightest hint of hesitation &#8212; what could be driving her...?

Ditto character motivation and background. Take Lightning for example. Instead of establishing what sort of women she is through her actions, slowly teasing elements of her past out for you, they just have to give you this info dump.

Lightning was formerly a sergeant in the Guardian Corps, Bodhum Security Regiment.
Wanting to outgrow the painful memories of her parents' death, she abandoned her childhood name to take up her current moniker. She retains her family name of 'Farron.'

Cursed as her sister was with the fate of a l'Cie, Lightning's frustration leads her to declare war against the Sanctum. She eventually sees her actions for what they are: an escape from reality.

Finally accepting Snow for his genuine efforts to save Serah, Lightning now fights a different battle&#8212;a battle to overcome her Focus and see her sister return from crystal slumber.

They literally tell you she called herself that to "outgrow painful memories". That's because they don't know how, or don't care, to establish this as part of Lightning's character through dialogue or events.

This is atrocious storytelling and violates pretty basic rules of show don't tell. No wonder she barely feels like a character, they couldn't figure out a better way to convey her to the player than to give what reads like an internal Square Enix document for her storyboarding.

Contrast this with the first Mass Effect; we learn everything we need to know to set up the basic motivations of Shephard, the Citadel, Saren, the Council, the Systems Alliance, through dialogue and scenes on Eden Prime and the Citadel. We are shown not told.

Then you have codecs that tell you how often Turians fuck or how the Normandy stealth system works but they have zero importance in communicating Mass Effect's story. They are simply flavour.

Wvrs

I bought the PS4 version of X recently, never played the game before, and I was completely aghast that I couldn't change the audio to Japanese. It's got some of the worst English VA I've ever heard and it's practically unplayable for me, I'd rather it just be text-based than have to listen to this.

I loved XIII, it was my first FF.

Parfait

X has some advantages over XIII in the ability to go back to places you've been to later in the game. It also had a somewhat easier to follow story, though i found XIII's story pretty easy to follow as well.

I love both games, though.

Bluenoser

I can't think of a single thing FFXIII does better than FFX. It's prettier, although with the HD version of X you can argue that it's now better there too.

FFX was made in a time before SE completely went off the rails, and decided they knew what their fans wanted more than the fans. This resulted in gems like FFXIII-2, Lightning returns, and FFXIV 1.0.

It wasn't until they lost a shit ton of money that they realized they needed to stop being so fucking arrogant.

Battle system - FFX wins handily
Music - FFX wins
World - FFX wins
Story - Can't help but laugh at FFXIII story- there's no comparison
Equipment upgrade system - I love the customization in FFX although wish they had let you do it sooner than Guadosalam. FFXIII upgrade system is horrible- it's shocking that in 2010 that's all they could come up with.
Characters - Tidus is annoying.... but so are Hope, Snow, and Vanille.
Sidequests - FFX has so many, I would have trouble remembering them all. Monster arena being the big one. FFXIII has the cieth stone missions, and a short quest to fix a toy robot. I can't think of anything else.

dawid

I'm replaying FFX now for the first time in 10 years and i feel like it has way more charm and easy-to-follow story than FFXIII. It was also a technical marvel on release, compared to when FFXIII was released and that corridor style just felt lazy and outdated.

FFX is a great game, but at the same time it's a huge step towards the demise of the series. So much of the magic from FF5-FF9 is lost in the corridor design and the horribly dumb characters with lousy voices. Rikku is probably the only character that would last in a real world for more than an hour without being sent to a mental institution. It's tough to care about them and it doesn't help that i replayed FFIX last summer and once again realized how amazing that game still is.

People saying that FFX is not a real Final Fantasy should probably elaborate the 'real' part. But i can't really say i don't understand where they're coming from.

XIII will remain the worst mainline FF by a country mile due to its garbage cast. I'm starting to think anyone who thinks FFXIII has great characters probably loves some of the worst animes that have ever come out. Ever.

Randomizer

I enjoyed both games but they are certainly on the low end of the series for me, down there with VIII & II. The both have major problems with unlikeable casts, bad stories and their very linear design.

Battle system - FFX wins handily Highly debatable
Music - FFX wins Highly Debatable
World - FFX wins Sure
Story - Can't help but laugh at FFXIII story- there's no comparison Both suck
Equipment upgrade system - I love the customization in FFX although wish they had let you do it sooner than Guadosalam. FFXIII upgrade system is horrible- it's shocking that in 2010 that's all they could come up with. Agree
Characters - Tidus is annoying.... but so are Hope, Snow, and Vanille. Both mainly suck but X has Auron and Kimahri, so I guess it wins
Sidequests - FFX has so many, I would have trouble remembering them all. Monster arena being the big one. FFXIII has the cieth stone missions, and a short quest to fix a toy robot. I can't think of anything else.Whilst it's true the variety in FFX is better I enjoyed the Ci'eth Stone missions more.

RalchAC

I haven't finished Berseria yet, I'd say I'm midway since I just got the snowboard thing. But I fully agree.

I think Velvet is a really good character. She is edgy, has short temper, is focused on her revenge and likes to act as if she is a bad person. Yet a lot of her interactions are about the clash between the person she thinks she should be in order to fullfill his objectives and the person she was in her past, which resurfaces quite often (there are a lot of mom-Velvet moments, when she shows genuine worry about other people).

I fully expect her to be challenged about her views and behavior soon. Wonder where it'll go. So far the cast has polar opposites views with the Abby. The latter is about "the group over the individual", while the cast is about "the individual over the group". Both until the last consequences, which make both of them look bad. Like, when the cast is in Southgand (the Tropical part of the setting) and
they remove a therion from the temple, turning a whole village, and possibly all the people in that island into daemons.
Likewise, a bit after that you realize that
Velvet running out of prison turned all the prisoners in daemons, since she was what was keeping the malice at sustainable levels in Titania.

Top Bottom