• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is HDR a thing now?

Lady Gaia

A big reason HDR is getting a push now is because banding becomes much more obvious on 4K displays. A wider color gamut helps to prevent that.

Wide color gamut has nothing to do with reducing banding. 10- or 12-bit color channel resolution makes a big difference on that front. If anything, the increased peak brightness of HDR and improved purity of RGB primary colors at the root of wide gamut color make banding problems worse and the finer resolution even more of a necessity.

BONKERS

Necro bump but
https://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2016/10/technical-evaluation-of-traditional-vs.html
This needs to be a thread title. I see too many threads where people are confusing these two things. I've recently been junior'd, otherwise I would make it.

They aren't really all that different.
See above for one. And two, existing HDR pipelines in games can be used for HDR output. They already have all of the work mostly done, they just have to map it for output rather than tone mapping it down to LDR. You'd essentially be getting near the same thing, but with slightly higher bit depth and extra luminance.(Which on LCD/LEDs doesn't come without it's own issues as well. Look at the above link again)

BigEmil

This got me thinking is Switch gonna support HDR?
Pretty sure it would considering the new console is releasing in 2017

a916

The standard "what is HDR" image:

hdr1-100656714-large.jpg

Of course, this is displayed on your non HDR monitor, so they have to play down the "non HDR" photo to show the comparison. But given the content I've seen in HDR, this is a fair comparison.

Honestly, I think HDR might be bigger than 4K... it has much more visual oomph. I wasn't a believer until I saw LG's flagship OLED 4K HDR tv... I'm now a believer (once they drop in price.

Shadow Warrior 2 on the PC is the best example of gaming HDR imo at the moment, you can forget about peak brightness n all that, just as massive is the transformation of lighting, it's really impressive, and to be able to toggle it on and off to compare at any point is awesome! I think it makes Gears 4 look like amateur HDR tbh.

Top Bottom