• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony getting so much more credit than MS for embracing the Indie scene?

MS' indie support is real and criticizable.

Sony's support is idealized. It's hard to be critical of something that doesn't exist. Sony's saying a lot of great things about smaller developers and smaller games, it will be great if they deliver, I don't expect the reality of indie gaming on the PS4 to be as good as the idealized vision of indie gaming on the PS4.

Cause there's no indie games currently on the PS3 or Vita and no one has ever praised their support?

I'm on the wait and see camp, but you can't just brush off Sony's current gen supports either.

Boss Man

I don't know what qualifications Noogy has or who the "other" person you're talking about is. But did you miss Mario's post? It seems like everyone else did because no one quoted or responded to him. Seems like he's the most qualified person to yet make a comment in this thread.
It's not a good post because it's not what he wants to hear, probably. It's unfortunate how promising discussions like this are usually started and ended by this sort of sentiment.

For instance, I'd like to talk about how successful or unsuccessful PSN indies have been in terms of sales. Especially in cases where the game is on both platforms and launched on both simultaneously. Do these numbers reflect installed base directly, or is the ratio lower/higher than what you'd expect and why? I'd also like to know more about the patching woes and what else might go into that from MS' side, and how it is or isn't different with others. I'd like to know more about MS' restrictiveness overall in cases where they are more difficult to work with than someone like Sony or Valve. I get the feeling that either of those subjects would rile people up though.

nib95

Banned
I think because Microsoft is now going in the opposite direction, whilst Sony going hard on a elements of the direction Microsoft itself initially pursued. By contrast, a lot of indie devs have spoken of the issues of XBLA now, and the lack of promotions or store presence. Sony instead seems to be opening things up for Indie devs going forward (ability to develop on PC's instead of PS4 dev kits, killing concept approval etc). Then you have PSN+ as well which is pushing a variety of content (that might otherwise never get much coverage or sales) to users via subscription services.

On the 360 front, the store has become less XBLA friendly, and now XNA is dead too. One side is looking bleaker whilst the other is looking far more optimistic.

It's not a good post because it's not what he wants to hear, probably. It's unfortunate how promising discussions like this are usually started and ended by this sort of sentiment.

Everything is moot because MS hasn't announced anything.
And even when they do, I'm sure some people (of either camp) wouldn't want any form of discussion until everything is "settled".

GAF speculates and make (stupid) guesses, it's just how it is.

Draft

Cause there's no indie games currently on the PS3 or Vita and no one has ever praised their support?

I'm on the wait and see camp, but you can't just brush off Sony's current gen supports either.
Like most people I don't care about or own a Vita. The PS3 has a bunch of indie stuff, but more stuff than Xbox 360? Better stuff? I don't know, you tell me. It doesn't seem like there's an appreciable gap between the two, and that all of the recent indie talk has been about PS4, not PS3. Xbox has a boatload of shitty indie games for sale. I'm not sure if PS3 has an equivalent store front.

KalBalboa

Banned
Why would I need to lighten up? I've already praised Sony many times in this thread and only wish for spades to be called spades (which leaves a lot of room to praise Sony). They are doing a great job and if their keep on their current trajectory will probably kill with the PS4. Doesn't erase or lessen what MS have done up until now in regards to the topic at hand.

It might be a bad analogy but imagine soccer team A wins the championship every year for 5 or 6 years and then this year team B wins. You don't start calling team B the best team ever after winning one year.

Something I feel compelled to add. Short of GOTY talks or straight up "List your..." threads I think lists are the worst types of posts along with gifs and the like.

You should expect lists, especially ones from GDC, when the question is raised about why Sony has more apparent indie cred.

Volume of widely promoted games irrefutably helps, and it goes hand in hand with all the testimonies various devs have made in the past two years when comparing PSN to XBLA.

XNA's death and XBLA's lack of focus on indie games in the past few years all contribute to the perception too. It also doesn't help that GDC and the PS4 unveiling seemed to make Sony's agenda very indie focused, or at least healthier than ever for easy development and cert.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why are people bullet pointing them killing XNA like it doesn't likely have to them transitioning to next gen?

Anyways, Microsoft did a lot more and did it first and that's why they get and deserve the credit. This much is clear and in stone with XNA, various labs, competitions for publishing, creating a dedicated indie marketplace on their console, etc. Why is that stuff suddenly forgotten about now that PS4 information is in the air? they're infrastructure was there and working. But as the gen went on, MS' ludicrous restrictions became more and more apparent, and Sony just offered a cheaper solution. And by then Sony had caught up in many respects and offered programs and sales that catered to indie games specifically. Combine this with multiple gaffes on Microsoft's part and details of difficulty finally leaking out and you have an explanation for the illusion of Sony somehow spearheading support for the indie scene.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Like most people I don't care about or own a Vita. The PS3 has a bunch of indie stuff, but more stuff than Xbox 360? Better stuff? I don't know, you tell me. It doesn't seem like there's an appreciable gap between the two, and that all of the recent indie talk has been about PS4, not PS3. Xbox has a boatload of shitty indie games for sale. I'm not sure if PS3 has an equivalent store front.

So then what are you trying to say? That you don't care or know about the games in general? That's pretty ignorant unless I'm interpreting your post wrong.

see5harp

Thank you for introducing some educated discussion into the thread. I'm surprised how quick people are to jump on MS, despite what they've done for indies this last generation. I'll go so far as to say the scene as it is would not exist if it weren't for the 360, XBLA, and the XNA initiative.

I really like what Sony is doing, and they are being aggressive with indies. But we don't know the whole picture, yet. Right now it's sounding a lot like XBIG to me, which is what happens with an uncurated community who can self publish (lots of subpar content, race to the bottom pricing, always online-requirement to offset lack of ratings).

I'm excited for the next generation, and all 3 console owners have peaked my interest as a developer. But the sentiment on these boards is getting a bit tiresome. I guess I've learned not to be excited by pre-launch promises.

Add to OP.

awa64

Banned
Why are people bullet pointing them killing XNA like it doesn't likely have to them transitioning to next gen?

Because they killed it without publicly announcing a successor, and the private audiences that are being briefed on next-gen aren't the ones who relied on XNA in the first place?

Draft

So then what are you trying to say? That you don't care or know about the games in general? That's pretty ignorant unless I'm interpreting your post wrong.
What I know is that today it seems like MS and Sony have about equal support from small devs, with MS maybe having an advantage due to the Indie channel on XBL. Sony has all of this indie support that's coming with the PS4 and supposedly to the Vita, but it doesn't exist yet.

Whether or not you own a VITA, which platform has more indie games (xbox) or who has better stuff (opinion) is entirely unrelated to your previous post or the discussion at hand.

The topic is "Why is Sony getting so much more credit than MS for embracing the Indie scene?" not "PS3/360: who got more indie games?"

I simply pointed out that you can't just brush off Sony's current gen support and say it is "idealized" or doesn't exist. Threads regarding the VITA indie games or how Sony's indie support has been improving have been around way before the recent PS4-indie hype. It isn't a case where everyone are just going crazy simply because Sony said "we got these for the PS4!"

Draft

Whether or not you own a VITA, which platform has more indie games (xbox) or who has better stuff (opinion) is entirely unrelated to your previous post or the discussion at hand.

The topic is "Why is Sony getting so much more credit than MS for embracing the Indie scene?" not "PS3/360: who got more indie games?"

I simply pointed out that you can't just brush off Sony's current gen support and say it is "idealized" or doesn't exist. Threads regarding the VITA indie games or how Sony's indie support has been improving have been around way before the recent PS4-indie hype. It isn't a case where everyone are just going crazy simply because Sony said "we got these for the PS4!"
It's not unrelated. You are certainly no authority on the relatedness of the post.

Most of the praise that Sony gets for indie support is based on promises and future releases. Most of the criticism MS receives is based on software available on the 360 right now.

Reality is easier to criticize than promises.

Because they killed it without publicly announcing a successor, and the private audiences that are being briefed on next-gen aren't the ones who relied on XNA in the first place?

I think MS has been pretty clear on the direction they want developers to go as far as dev enviroments go.

They killed XNA fast but they would not have unless there were plans to incorporate something else in it's place. It is all speculation on what is going to happen until the next console is actually released.

Etnos

Banned
To me it seems MS was way ahead of them and even dedicated a storefront on consoles to Indie games after pushing XNA. And speaking of XNA. Why does it seem like many some indie developers looked down at that store and are almost pretending it does not exist? Their were some good stuff on there but not really quality stuff you would find on PC. Was it that limiting?

The xbox team is not the same that was at the beginning of the generation. They switched focus long ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And you expect them to announce the next XNA before the console is announced?

What do people want from XNA right now? Do they want MS to pour more and more support into XNA than what is established and available right now? They didn't take away the tools from indie developers like people are making it sound, they're just not iterating on them further. Why should they when they're moving to the next generation and indie devs should probably be looking towards next gen right now anyways instead of trying to make a buck at the end of the gen with the infrastructure that is currently there. It's really not a big deal, at all. We even had indie devs comment and say it's probably for the better so MS can rid themselves of what XBLIG has become and replace it with a new platform like what Sony is doing with the PS4 with less of the strings attached.

And I'm not sure what private audiences being debriefed on next gen has to do with it. Some established names are getting early access to the console, the same way as it is for the PS4. John and Jane Doe will get the tools later, should they exist; same with the PS4 when they choose to make those tools available.

Swifty

Because in retrospect, many developers are seeing a trend when it comes to Microsoft when introducing and phasing out new technologies:

Microsoft’s offer in that world is lock-in to Windows, in exchange for powerful integrated platforms like .NET which are far more capable than their competitors (eg Java, which is just pathetic). That was an excellent trade-off for many years. Looking back now, though? The Windows tech hegemony is a graveyard. XNA. Silverlight. WPF. DirectX. Managed C++. C++/CLI. Managed DirectX. Visual Basic. So when you guys come knocking and ask us to commit to Metro — sorry, the Windows 8 User Experience — and its associated tech?

You’ll understand if I am not in a hurry to start coding for your newest framework.

http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/directxxna-phase-out-continues/

What about the months and months and months before this month that MS put in work with XBLA, XBLIG and XNA? Were you championing them then? I gonna guess that you weren't and if that is the case then it comes off as hypocritical.

That is what the OP is talking about. Take XBLIG for example (which Krilekk summed up pretty well in my limited experience), it seemed that whenever it was brought it up as a positive aspect of the 360 package then people would be all "massage apps!" and "needs achievements!" but now that Sony is making a push with indies they are piled high with praise.

Not saying they don't deserve it, not saying it isn't true, just seems to be a double standard.

Did Microsoft ever actively promote titles in the XBLIG section? Sony has, and continues to actively promote the Playstation Mobile games on their blog, website, and through PS+.

And yes, I have championed the XBLIG scene, especially the laser wars titles of multiplayer FPS. Sadly the software tools indie devs were given were not properly supported by MS leading to constant player disconnects and loss of player data from XBLIG multiplayer titles.

I don't see how Sony has done better at promoting Journey than MS has promoted the slew of indie games they've published.

Please...don't do this. It's a list from a playstation blog and really has no place to be here.

I agree that Sony is doing better with indie devs now, they have opened things up for them in wonderful ways. However when we don't even know what, if anything, MS has planned for indie devs, it's stupid to make any comparisons or present any lists. All we have to do on is what MS offers for indie devs right now with the 360, which they aren't going to change at the end of the system's life.

This thread is getting worse and worse with every post.

Again, Sony actively promotes PSM titles, MS does not promote XBLIG titles.

Also, the fact that the list comes from a PS blog is exactly my point. Where is the MS press coverage of their XBLIG titles coming out later this year? Surely you have to see the humor in you saying that you don't see how Sony has done a better job of promoting indie games, then, in the same post, chastising me for providing you with concrete proof of Sony doing a better job of doing so. These are games coming to the PS3/Vita, not the PS4. Microsoft could promote their indie games, if they wanted to. My point is that you claims things "aren't going to change" on current platforms, but Sony's presence at GDC/PAX has shown that things are changing for indies on current platforms: Sony is paying more attention to them, and promoting them while MS has paid less attention to XBLA, and continues to almost totally ignore XBLIG.

MS' indie support is real and criticizable.

Sony's support is idealized. It's hard to be critical of something that doesn't exist. Sony's saying a lot of great things about smaller developers and smaller games, it will be great if they deliver, I don't expect the reality of indie gaming on the PS4 to be as good as the idealized vision of indie gaming on the PS4.

Again, the list I posted are all PS3/Vita games that Sony is actively promoting right now. They are already delivering games for platforms that are already available.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Because there is no "transition to next gen" for most of the XNA community.

Most of them have been left with no path forward, the 3rd party replacement C# / DX wrappers like SharpDX are incomplete, largely undocumented and the last time I looked development on them had slowed down to a crawl.

The path that was suggested by Microsoft for XNA devs was effectively "go back to what devs did before XNA", which meant the loss of managed coding and frameworks that made 3D and game development easier.

The XNA community was left mostly high and dry, have mostly moved on to MonoGame (cross-platform), Unity (cross-platform) and only a very very small amount have moved on to C# / SharpDX based development, a smaller amount have moved to native development.

The loss of XNA is a big deal for some, and the developer community that was built around it are having to move to other platforms, that means iOS, Android and PC.

There is no "XNA for next gen" and all talk from Microsoft has been that there won't be one either.

What do people want from XNA right now? Do they want MS to pour more and more support into XNA than what is established and available right now? They didn't take away the tools from indie developers like people are making it sound, they're just not iterating on them further. Why should they when they're moving to the next generation and indie devs should probably be looking towards next gen right now anyways instead of trying to make a buck at the end of the gen with the infrastructure that is currently there. It's really not a big deal, at all. We even had indie devs comment and say it's probably for the better so MS can rid themselves of what XBLIG has become and replace it with a new platform like what Sony is doing with the PS4 with less of the strings attached.

And I'm not sure what private audiences being debriefed on next gen has to do with it. Some established names are getting early access to the console, the same way as it is for the PS4. John and Jane Doe will get the tools later, should they exist; same with the PS4 when they choose to make those tools available.

There is no XNA for next gen, this comes from Microsoft itself, they are not being quiet on it, they are not hiding it for a later reveal, it doesn't exist, it's not in development and the teams that were responsible for it have been moved to other, unrelated projects.

XNA isn't just dormant, or waiting for the future, XNA is dead, period.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There is no XNA for next gen, this comes from Microsoft itself, they are not being quiet on it, they are not hiding it for a later reveal, it doesn't exist, it's not in development and the teams that were responsible for it have been moved to other, unrelated projects.

XNA isn't just dormant, or waiting for the future, XNA is dead, period.
Link of them saying their next generation console won't have XNA or an XNA equivalent?

Team moving on to doing other stuff/restructuring doesn't immediately mean there's no other tools in the works either.

Noogy

Sony has been VERY good on the PR front, when it comes to indies. The few people I've talked to there have been awesome and genuine, and I'm really hoping to see them turn things around for the PS4.

That said, I love the guys at Microsoft, who are equally passionate people. The impetus is now on them, whenever they announce the next console, to make it equally attractive to indies.

Right now the spotlight is on Sony (they DID just announce a new console), and they're doing a great job. This next generation is going to be very interesting, for gamers and devs. Honestly, this competition for the indie space is only good news for everyone.

surly

Banned
I've never understood it either. Double-standards I guess. MS created development tools for indie developers to use, gave them a means to sell their games, added an indie games section to both the console store front and on Xbox.com and there are currently 2,873 games on the service.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Link of them saying their next generation console won't have XNA or an XNA equivalent?

Team moving on to doing other stuff/restructuring doesn't immediately mean there's no other tools in the works either.

You would need to have followed Shawn Hargreaves blog over the last 2 years or so for the full picture.

He was warning people, from Microsofts perspective, that this was the case for a long long time, he was pushing people away from XNA each and every time he was asked about future XNA development.

If you had any involvement in XNA, you'd be aware of his heavy involvement in XNA, he was one of the guys behind XNA and Microsofts main voice on XNA as its community manager.

They also directly stated this to Polygon, earlier this year:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/31/3939230/microsoft-has-no-plans-for-future-versions-of-xna-software
A representative for Microsoft told Polygon that there are no plans to discontinue the use of DirectX for its Windows and Xbox platforms, but it will not be producing updated versions of the XNA program.

This was known by most XNA devs last year, even the larger, successful ones were told specifically that the path forward for them was Native C++ / DirectX development, and that no future version of XNA was coming.

beast786

I've never understood it either. Double-standards I guess. MS created development tools for indie developers to use, gave them a means to sell their games, added an indie games section to both the console store front and on Xbox.com and there are currently 2,873 games on the service.

For sure "Double-standards". MS never got the praise it deserve . I recommend you should make a thread about it and clear it all out.

DeBurgo

The "indie games" you see on the PS3 are from basically already established developers with a marketable product. While their efforts there are certainly commendable, anything other than a replacement or respectable counter to MS's XNA platform and the XBLIG store is basically just lip service to indie games. Independent developers don't need subsidized development so much (though it's certainly welcome), they need low barriers to access development tools and low barriers to publishing on the platform.

awa64

Banned

Why not? Announcing a new set of free, game-specific tools that work across Windows RT, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox 360 and "future devices" wouldn't be a bad move. Of course, that's not to say that it's a move Microsoft thinks is worth their time and effort, or that it would be trivial to execute...

kuroshiki

People look at indie games with rose tinted glasses - a lot of them are garbage.

I'm thankful for quality control, though I'm not sure to what extent Microsoft control the output. Judging from the Dust: An Eslysian Tale panel at PAX, none at all.

This.

95% of indie games I played are just not for me. They are either too shallow or have some incredibly amateurish graphic/sound/etc.

I don't really care which system gets the most indie support. Bring constant stream of quality games is all that matters.

Kron

Banned
After reading the last four pages its pretty clear to me the answer is double standards.

The Playstation apologists seem to be the most vocal and take Sony's PR as gospel.

Raven77

I guess the OP somehow avoided the Dashboard Updated that stuffed the Indie Games into an obscure hard to find area of the menu...

Things change over time. MS is moving away from a focus on all facets of gaming.

Osiris

After reading the last four pages its pretty clear to me the answer is double standards.

The Playstation apologists seem to be the most vocal and take Sony's PR as gospel.

So you want an equal-opportunities rule then?

No praise must be made for Sony unless accompanied by fair representation for Microsoft, and recognition of their endeavors.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? :p

surly

Banned
I guess the OP somehow avoided the Dashboard Updated that stuffed the Indie Games into an obscure hard to find area of the menu...
You know that that was only true for a few weeks, yeah? MS originally changed the layout of the dash and created a section called "Speciality Shops" where they placed indie games, but due to negative feedback from devs, they moved indie games back to the same section where XBLA games and what have you are.

Likewise on Xbox.com, indie games have their own category alongside Games on Demand and XBLA games: -

x2n4mn5.jpg

Raven77 said:
MS is moving away from a focus on all facets of gaming.
lol, sure they are!

It's not unrelated. You are certainly no authority on the relatedness of the post.

Most of the praise that Sony gets for indie support is based on promises and future releases. Most of the criticism MS receives is based on software available on the 360 right now.

Reality is easier to criticize than promises.

The "indie games" you see on the PS3 are from basically already established developers with a marketable product. While their efforts there are certainly commendable, anything other than a replacement or respectable counter to MS's XNA platform and the XBLIG store is basically just lip service to indie games. Independent developers don't need subsidized development so much (though it's certainly welcome), they need low barriers to access development tools and low barriers to publishing on the platform.

The only issue I have with Draft's post is that he is making a claim that Sony's current indie support is "idealistic", non-existent, vita doesn't matter and some people are just hyping future releases. Which is not true at all based on all of the past vita indie threads and numerous other dev related topics prior to the recent GDC PS4-indie hype. It's like Vita owners don't count just because they're not part of the next-gen/console war debate.

In addition, while I'm sure someone is - I'm not muddling myself in the discussion as to who has the better current gen indie market or dev tools. The obvious answer is MS XBLIG and there is no question to that. Again, that doesn't invalidate any of the other points people have bought up as to why they feel more excited about one over the other.

As I've said earlier, it's like we're expected to not discuss anything till everyone has their final reveal.

Why not? Announcing a new set of free, game-specific tools that work across Windows RT, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox 360 and "future devices" wouldn't be a bad move. Of course, that's not to say that it's a move Microsoft thinks is worth their time and effort, or that it would be trivial to execute...

I think what you are asking for already exists in Visual Studio C++ C# and Unity/Unreal/and other platform flexible middleware

KageMaru

Again, Sony actively promotes PSM titles, MS does not promote XBLIG titles.

You don't compare Journey and Flower to XBLIG games, you compare them to Fez, Mark of the Ninja, etc. which MS has promoted.

I don't understand what's so hard to understand here and because you don't understand this, your following paragraph has little relevance.

Sony has been VERY good on the PR front, when it comes to indies. The few people I've talked to there have been awesome and genuine, and I'm really hoping to see them turn things around for the PS4.

That said, I love the guys at Microsoft, who are equally passionate people. The impetus is now on them, whenever they announce the next console, to make it equally attractive to indies.

Right now the spotlight is on Sony (they DID just announce a new console), and they're doing a great job. This next generation is going to be very interesting, for gamers and devs. Honestly, this competition for the indie space is only good news for everyone.

Great to hear this type of insight. I think it's nuts to think that Microsoft won't try to expand their ecosystem with the nextbox, and supporting indie games is obviously a huge part of that. We'll have to wait and see what they do.

Because it sounds like Sony's policies are becoming worlds better than what is currently the standard with MS' treatment of indies.

beast786

Excellent , especially the last sentence.

harSon

Banned
Do some research and read some news:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/11/microsoft-xbox-360-premium-content-plans-entertainment/

I don't just make this stuff up...from MS's own mouth "Its an entertainment console, not a gaming console".

No shit. It's kind of dumb to advertise the fact that your gaming console is in fact a platform you play video games on. It's sort of inherently assumed that a gaming console plays video games. It makes sense to advertise the potentially lesser known, and yet highly intriguing features with the intention of expanding your console's appeal to a much broader base.

surly

Banned
I don't just make this stuff up...from MS's own mouth "Its an entertainment console, not a gaming console".
Gaming is part of entertainment. Calling it a "gaming console" implies that that's all it does. Calling it an "entertainment console" does not mean that MS are "moving away from all facets of gaming". That's absolute nonsense and you know it.

KageMaru said:
You don't compare Journey and Flower to XBLIG games, you compare them to Fez, Mark of the Ninja, etc. which MS has promoted.
Exactly. PSN has nothing that rivals the indie games service on the 360 though.

watership

OP, it's obvious. It's because MS is bad, and Sony is good.

That's the gaf answer.

In reality MS did try with Indies. They did a number of initiatives, XNA, Indie, they put on contests, coding groups. They assisted with publishing and some XNA stuff graduated to XBLA. Dust: An Elysian Tail being one of them. The dev said that without Microsoft's help, he wouldn't have made it that far. Indie games on Xbox were 95+% garbage. But there were lots of gems.

But that doesn't matter, because the few vocal devs who had trouble with Microsoft, equals "Microsoft is bad for indies". I'm not saying they didn't have issues, but they did much more than Sony ever did. And Microsoft winding down programs and slowing down current gen development of things seem to me to the vast majority of people here that MS is practically giving up on gaming. Not that they would keep things quiet as they ramped up for next gen or anything...

Sony is getting lots of credit and love now because of the policies they're setting for PS4. Microsoft has said nothing about the next gen Xbox. So you can see where the love is going, as of now.

TLDR. Microsoft Bad, Sony Good. (Fingers in ears. LALALALA)

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone here hates Xbox.
It's really obvious by reading any thread that has "Xbox" or "MS" in the title.

surly

Banned
There is no approval from MS for XBLIG, it's all managed by the community IIRC.

Again another spot on example of how people make assumptions and post whatever they want.
Spot on again. MS allows devs to release what they like on there (pretty much), yet that openness is now somehow a bad thing too, lol. There's some spinmasters on here that can turn anything MS do into a negative, lol.

Dragon

Banned
Everyone here hates Xbox.
It's really obvious by reading any thread that has "Xbox" or "MS" in the title.

Hmm....

There is no approval from MS for XBLIG, it's all managed by the community IIRC.

Again another spot on example of how people make assumptions and post whatever they want.

Uh...

Spot on again. MS allows devs to release what they like on there (pretty much), yet that openness is now somehow a bad thing too, lol. There's some spinmasters on here that can turn anything MS do into a negative, lol.

Doesn't look like it.

MS approves of garbage, try to count how many zombie and Minecraft clones there are.

First off, that is a ridiculous over simplification of the XBLIG marketplace. You are mostly projecting a learned bias into the vast library of games available. Also, MS doesn't approve any of those games, they just offer digital space and a storefront to sell on to.

It is the developers the peer review the and make them available for sale providing the games don't crash or contain restricted content. If you want to see what MS "approves" of watch what they promote on the dash.

When it comes to the games that sell on XBLIG, they sell because there is demand from customers. Take Shark Attack Deathmatch for example. People want to swim with killer sharks. Or Avatar Laser Wars 2. People want to play an FPS with their avatars. Some of the audiences just wants a cheap laugh, some of the audience wants a game they can't otherwise find elsewhere. The Minecraft clones became popular because Minecraft wasn't available.

Those games have seen a dozen updates since release and are not distinctly different from Minecraft in their own way and also in some cases ahead of Minecraft, especially considering they are $1-$3.

The Slenderman "clone" White Noise Online is selling gangbusters on XBLIG right now. People want these games.

The strangest thing about NeoGAF as a community when it comes to XBLIG and indie games in general is that it isn't at all representative of the larger market. Some games have well over a million downloads or sales and there isn't even mention of it on the forums here.

Top Bottom