• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Nintendo making MORE games like Splatoon?

Freeman

Banned
It's amazing how people with an irrational hatred of Nintendo have absolutely no sense of humor... almost like they are dead inside.

And Nintendo invented an awful lot.... entire genres, controllers and feedback mechanisms that most young gamers take for granted. Oh, and they single-handedly resurrected the video game industry with the NES. Welcome to video game history 101.
Where did I said they didn't invent a ton of stuff, I just pointed something that I see happening somewhat frequently in Nintendo threads, I shouldn't have.

If you somehow question Nintendo you can only be a hatter I assume, right? Sounds healthy.

What really gets me excited about the game (besides the colorful artstyle and aesthetic) is just how many layers the mechanics have (typical shooter stuff, traversal, territory control)

- Squid traversal can be used to run on walls (and everything else) and can be used to sneak up on opponents. You also reload ink by swimming.

- You can cancel out opponents' traversal with your own ink and trap them in it. On the flip side, you need to constantly watch out and lay down your own ink to keep moving.

- Kills are a part of it but not the main focus, so less experienced players (or just people focused on the team objective) can still be a valuable part of the team by covering territory in ink.

Now this single player trailer is showing traversal being used for crazy puzzle/platforming and it looks awesome

To me, at least, the game seems to be taking influence from crazy arena shooters and mixing them with colorful mascot platformers. I would consider that ambitious.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the single player part to be honest. I like how it is a somewhat simple mechanic that has implications that could result in a much more complex and maybe tactical game.

Nintendo is probably the company who has released more IP's in the last 10 years... sadly, people only buy the main franchises...

just to mention a few:
-Trace Memory
-Drill Dozer
-Geist
-Chibi-Robo
-Hotel Dusk
-Disaster
-Endless Ocean
-Captain Rainbow
-Zengeki something
-Flingsmash
-Steel Diver
-The three "Operation Rainfall" RPG's
-Pushmo
-Dillon
-Wonderful 101

and I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

Wow, I'm going to be honest, I didn't realize a bunch of these were Nintendo games. They all looked like shovelware titles to me off a quick glance on store shelves.

These posts tell you a whole lot about the Nintendo fanbase.

#consolewarrior

Gameplay just.....doesn't matter?

You must really find the art style abhorrent.

Of course it does, but even that doesn't look appealing to me, I'm not a big fan of shooters. Mario could have convinced me as I'm a big enough Mario fan to enjoy it.

And yeah, I'm just not digging the art style/music, sorry.

The entire concept is that they are squid-human hybrids. Besides, that sounds incredibly boring. There is enough of the Mario only universe going around.

I know, but I'll never get enough of the Mario universe :p.

Tuck

Its a shame Splatoon is going to release on a system like Wii U - it will very likely bomb and we won't see it again, but everything about it looks amazing so I hope thats not the case.

Freeman

Banned
I don't think Nintendo fans have anything against hats or those who make them. I could be wrong, though.

So funny that you caught my misspelling of a word, congrats.

I actually have something against hats but I'll leave that to a TF2 thread.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Where did I said they didn't invent a ton of stuff, I just pointed something that I see happening somewhat frequently in Nintendo threads, I shouldn't have.

If you somehow question Nintendo you can only be a hatter I assume, right? Sounds healthy.

Oh, I question Nintendo all the time.

But I don't troll their fans with statements like "Are Nintendo fans this much unaccustomed to new IPs?"

Especially when I'm pretty sure no major developer/publisher has released more new IP, in a wider variety of genres, than Nintendo.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Daigasso! Band Brothers
platform: ds
developer: nintendo sdd

Nintendogs
developer: nintendo ead 1

Another Code
developer: cing

ouendan
developer: inis

Brain Training

sennen kazoku
platform: gba
developer: indieszero

nonono puzzle chalien
developer: creatures, inc.

chibi-robo
platform: gamecube
developer: skip, ltd.

geist
developer: n-space, inc.

the legend of the quiz tournament of champions
developer: ???

odama
developer: vivarium, inc.

rhythm tengoku
developer: nintendo spd 1

Drill Dozer
developer: gamefreak

Calciobit (Nintendo Football Club)
developer: ???

Bit Generations
developer: skip ltd

Electroplankton
developer: indieszero

Elite Beat Agents
developer: inis

Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (Spin-off IP)
developer: vanpool

Wii sports:
platform: wii
developer: nintendo ead 2

wii play

wii fit
developer: nintendo ead 5

Hotel Dusk
developer: cing

wii music

Endless Ocean
developer: arika

Captain Rainbow
developer: skip ltd

Disaster: Day of Crisis
developer: monolithsoft

Fossil Fighters
developer: red entertainment/m2/artdink

Tomodachi Collection
developer: nintendo spd 1

Style Savvy
developer: syn sophia

Art Academy
developer: headstrong games

Xenoblade Chronicles
developer: monolithsoft

Fluidity
platform: wiiware
developer: curve studios

FlingSmash
developer: artoon

Zangeki no Reginleiv
developer: sandlot

Line Attack Heroes
platform: wiiware
developer: grezzo

Steel Diver
platform: 3ds
developer: nintendo ead 5/vitei

Pushmo
platform: 3ds eshop
developer: intelligent systems

Pandora's Tower
developer: ganbarion

The Last Story
developer: mistwalker

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
developer: grounding inc

Dillon's Rolling Western
developer: vanpool

Ketzal's Corridors
developer: keys factory

Kiki Trick
developer: nintendo spd

Nintendo Land (Spin-off series)
platform: wii u

Sing Party
developer: freestyle games

HarmoKnight
developer: gamefreak

The Wonderful 101
developer: platinum games

NES Remix (Spin-off series)

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Spin-off Series)
developer: nintendo ead tokyo 2

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
platform: 3ds
developer: intelligent systems

Splatoon

Maybe we should make a collarge with the boxart of these games , and paste it in future "why dont Nintendo make new IP" threads

Just so people will have a harder time ignoring it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
But I don't troll their fans with statements like "Are Nintendo fans this much unaccustomed to new IPs?"

it's adorable that kids still do the console wae thing, it's as timeless as the sega vs nintendo arguments on the playground

I'm not entirely sure you know what shovelware actually implies.

In this context? Low budget cheap cash grabs?
That's the impression games like Steel Diver left with me from just looking at its box off a shelf.
Consider me a consumer that was misinformed on a Nintendo product. Aren't we a dime a dozen.

There are a lot of hidden gems on these lists that I loved but it's kind of hard to expect me to be aware of all of them.

Fandangox

I think its wise to wait and see how the game is received before jumping to conclusion.

Also, what is so innovative about Splatoon? Are Nintendo fans this much unaccustomed to new IPs?

Doesn't seem like a very ambitious game to me, it has a potentially interesting game mechanic and a colorful art-style what else?

Well basically the obhective is terrain control and not to eliminate the opposite team. That in itself isn't exactly new.

What's innovative an interesting is that they made the ammo (the ink) also work as a traversal mechanic, the more control over the territory the more movement options available, one even has the option of inking areas that do not count towards the score (such as walls) to gain more movement options and have hidibg places for surprise assaults.

I think making it focused on the traversal by the way of the ammo used is going to make it a very dynic game.

Freeman

Banned
Oh, I question Nintendo all the time.

Especially when I'm pretty sure no major developer/publisher has released more new IP, in a wider variety of genres, than Nintendo.

As someone who owns a 3DS it sure doesn't look like it to me, maybe I just the wrong impression.

I have to give you some credit here, much more subtle than the general troll, but the "unaccustomed to new IPs" dig gave away the agenda, especially considering how we've already had lists of all the new Nintendo IPs just a few posts back from this one.

A natural born troll then, because that was just my honest opinion. I haven't see the list before posting and I don't think its impressive at all.

Well basically the obhective is terrain control and not to eliminate the opposite team. That in itself isn't exactly new.

What's innovative an interesting is that they made the ammo (the ink) also work as a traversal mechanic, the more control over the territory the more movement options available, one even has the option of inking areas that do not count towards the score (such as walls) to gain more movement options and have hidibg places for surprise assaults.

I think making it focused on the traversal by the way of the ammo used is going to make it a very dynic game.

Yea, it does sound good.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
it's adorable that kids still do the console wae thing, it's as timeless as the sega vs nintendo arguments on the playground

It will never go away, unfortunately.

I miss the days when 'hardcore gamer' meant you owned an N64, Saturn, and PS1. Or a generation earlier, SNES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16.
I never owned a TurboGrafx, I hope to rectify that mistake someday.

LaserHawk

Let's be honest: Over the years we're going to ping-pong back and forth between "I want new IPs!" and "Where's our freakin' Mario/Zelda/Metroid?" Nintendo can only make so many games at a time. Let's hope they find a good balance.

HeroR

Maybe we should make a collarge with the boxart of these games , and paste it in future "why dont Nintendo make new IP" threads

Just so people will have a harder time ignoring it.

Good luck with that.

When people say Nintendo needs to make new IPs it usually translate to 'make something more western' or 'make something like Uncharted or Call of Duty'. Most people, at least on these types of forums don't really want a new IP as in new game, but for Nintendo to make something more hardcore mainstream. I remember IGN, I think it was them, saying that they wish Nintendo would make a game like Grandtheft as a new IP.

Also, I think it says something that Majora's Mask 3D got more people's attention than STREAM and Splatoon to the point that people called everything after Majora's announcement boring.

ghibli99

Just play Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade. Hard to argue that they are two great games with lauded critical success.

It's okay to have an opinion and not be fond of certain games, but they are pretty clearly not 2nd-rate developers. I don't care for Bioware games, but I can accept they are a pretty 1st-rate (Canadian-made) developer.
I like you.

hatchx

Banned
Of course it does, but even that doesn't look appealing to me, I'm not a big fan of shooters. Mario could have convinced me as I'm a big enough Mario fan to enjoy it.

And yeah, I'm just not digging the art style/music, sorry.

I have a feeling it'll change your mind, you will buy it in the release month, and it will be on your top 5 GOTY list.

DizzyCrow

As someone who owns a 3DS it sure doesn't look like it to me, maybe I just the wrong impression.

Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors
HarmoKnight

Oersted

Good luck with that.

When people say Nintendo needs to make new IPs it usually translate to 'make something more western' or 'make something like Uncharted or Call of Duty'. Most people, at least on these types of forums don't really want a new IP as in new game, but for Nintendo to make something more hardcore mainstream. I remember IGN, I think it was them, saying that they wish Nintendo would make a game like Grandtheft as a new IP.

Also, I think it says something that Majora's Mask 3D got more people's attention than STREAM and Splatoon to the point that people called everything after Majora's announcement boring.

Wasn´t it also someone at IGN who said, he wishes Nintendo would make a game like Fire Emblem?

?oe?oe

3DS and Majora's Mask are trending Facebook right now.

AniHawk

But it doesn't count!... for reasons.

even then, nintendo hasn't invested in as many new ips as say, microsoft or sony have in the last ten years. the reasoning for that should be pretty obvious, but as neat as it looks, it's not as impressively long when compared to others.

it's mostly a list that should be informative, not as ammo. you can tell what year and platform for the game, and also the team behind it. however it's a pretty blunt retort to the idea that nintendo has a habit of not creating new ips.

pushmo and nes remix have been rather fantastic new ips from them in recent years, but they don't get the marketing campaigns and budgets that retail releases do, despite each one having multiple entries at this point. it's hard for them to stand out when nintendo rarely, proudly declares they're doing something new, like they did with splatoon (which had the second most booth space at e3 last year, right behind smash bros.). you can even look back at xenoblade when it was monado and it was basically swept under the rug, but now it's one of *the* most loved rpgs of this decade. they could do more to make their work known outside of the tentpole franchises. splatoon is a good start.

?oe?oe

even then, nintendo hasn't invested in as many new ips as say, microsoft or sony have in the last ten years. the reasoning for that should be pretty obvious, but as neat as it looks, it's not as impressively long when compared to others.
I understand, people want "high profile" new IP and/or don't want or know about the many smaller new IPs.

zruben

Banned
Wow, I'm going to be honest, I didn't realize a bunch of these were Nintendo games. They all looked like shovelware titles to me off a quick glance on store shelves.

well, I don't blame you, Nintendo doesn't really advertise those games and it's lagging behind in terms of marketing, compared to other companies, who can sell you crap with the proper marketing campaign.

it's kinda sad, however, that you're this ill-informed about those games, specially considering you're posting in NeoGaf.

well, I don't blame you, Nintendo doesn't really advertise those games and it's lagging behind in terms of marketing, compared to other companies, who can sell you crap with the proper marketing campaign.

it's kinda sad, however, that you're this ill-informed about those games, specially considering you're posting in NeoGaf.

Yea it's all my fault.

Nintendo fans like nostalgia. Compare the excitement for Splatoon, for instance, to the port of Majora's Mask for the 3DS that was just announced.

Ansatz

Good luck with that.

This sounds like people with little to no relation to Nintendo. In my experience when people say they want new Nintendo IPs, often hardcore fans from past gens who dislike Nintendo post-Iwata, new IP basically means AAA internally, so something on the level of Zelda, Mario, Pikmin. Anything below that, like a Kirby Canvas Curse or Pushmo, is a non-game. Sad

Nintendo is probably the company who has released more IP's in the last 10 years... sadly, people only buy the main franchises...

just to mention a few:
-Trace Memory
-Drill Dozer
-Geist
-Chibi-Robo
-Hotel Dusk
-Disaster
-Endless Ocean
-Captain Rainbow
-Zengeki something
-Flingsmash
-Steel Diver
-The three "Operation Rainfall" RPG's
-Pushmo
-Dillon
-Wonderful 101

and I'm sure I'm missing a lot.
That's just not true. It's Sony, by far. I'm not interested in a list war but in terms of total new IP in the past ten years, nobody touches Sony.

zruben

Banned
Yea it's all my fault.

did you even read my post?

That's just not true. It's Sony, by far. I'm not interested in a list war but in terms of total new IP in the past ten years, nobody touches Sony.

ok, that's cool, I said "probably"... so maybe I'm wrong, but that wasn't the point of my post.
OP asked for Nintendo to make new IP's... I gave him some (and some other user posted a fuck-ton more)

did you even read my post?

ok, that's cool, I said "probably"... so maybe I'm wrong, but that wasn't the point of my post.
OP asked for Nintendo to make new IP's... I gave him some (and some other user posted a fuck-ton more)
Yeah good point, they do make more IPs then people realize. I think the issue, though, is they don't make many big new IPs that are supposed to stand with their classics. They don't even try. Pikmin is the last one, I'd say.

zruben

Banned
I took that whole last sentence as a big "/s" indicator of the post.
If you were actually being sincere then sorry.

don't worry, it sounds kinda condescending now that I read it again. I apologize for that.

what I meant to say is that it's sad that you dismissed some pretty good games because of lack of proper research, most of them are pretty well reviewed and loved by the gaming community.

Kater

Banned
wut.

Consumers decide what gets made by purchasing or not purchasing whatever product. It doesn't matter if the product is even good or not. People will buy anything and that influences companies. Sure, you can put some blame on marketing or lack thereof but what truly ends up shaping any industry is what people buy.
The fault never is the potential customer for not buying it but the publishers not properly marketing it. Get ads on Youtube, TV, game stores. Tell people a lot about the game you want to sell.

If a game like W101 (for example) doesn't get the sales it needs to make even, it is never the fault of the potential customer, but the marketing team for not explaining it well enough to the audience, or the developers making the game to complex/simple/asthetically unappealing or the publisher pricing the game too high.

Freeman

Banned
Steel Diver
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors
HarmoKnight
For real?

I didn't get to play any of the games on the list, but I'm interested in STEAM since FE was one of the best games I played on 3Ds(just because of that, what was shown on E3 wasn't enough to convince me of anything). Of the other ones I only heard of Pushmo and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (it sounded like Nintendo's little evil experiment, I don't know if is true).

sajj316

It'll take Miyamoto or guidance under Miyamoto to push new IP. Splatoon is a good start. New IP needs good production quality and marketing to sell .. in addition to the Miyamoto seal of quality.

I have a feeling it'll change your mind, you will buy it in the release month, and it will be on your top 5 GOTY list.

Who knows, maybe I'll see something gameplay-wise that'll make me fall in love with it, I'm open to it.

Yeah good point, they do make more IPs then people realize. I think the issue, though, is they don't make many big new IPs that are supposed to stand with their classics. They don't even try. Pikmin is the last one, I'd say.

It's impossible to make IPs that will stand out next to Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, will never happen.

Chaos17

By that I mean, from everything they've shown so far, this game seems to encapsulate everything that makes Nintendo great --

1) Cool new gameplay
2) Colorful, fun graphical style
3) Charming as hell
4) Introduction of new 'characters'
5) A new IP that's also a system exclusive!

Innovate and create. Isn't that what Nintendo always used to do? Just like they're doing here with Splatoon.

So why is it such a rarity then that we get a game like this from them? Why not more games like this if they are still so capable of doing it? More new IPs? More new characters? More experimentation?

It seems to be going over well so far, right? People seem to be excited from what I can tell.

So can we expect more of this Nintendo...please...?
They're trying to.
Just give them time ?

Gsnap

This sounds like people with little to no relation to Nintendo. In my experience when people say they want new Nintendo IPs, often hardcore fans from past gens who dislike Nintendo post-Iwata, new IP basically means AAA internally, so something on the level of Zelda, Mario, Pikmin. Anything below that, like a Kirby Canvas Curse or Pushmo, is a non-game. Sad

True.

When most people say they want Nintnedo to make new IPs, what they're getting at is they want Nintendo to make new IPs that feel AAA and can live up to ridiculously high expectations. A new IP that people feel comfortable elevating to the upper echelons of Mario, Zelda, etc. Something with the polish of 3D mario, the epicness of Zelda, and of course, the most important characteristic of new IPs, characters that people want to see in smash bros. : p

On topic. The reason is because making games like this is tough and they rarely sell well. It's why this is an industry wide problem, not just a Nintendo problem.

You need time and money. More time than usual because everything is new. Time and money that may not be worth it do to the probably low sales.

And most importantly, you need a new concept that's worth exploring in the first place. Those are hard to come by these days. The old Nintendo who created new genres with every new game released doesn't exist anymore. Not because they're worse now, but because it's 2014. Everything's been done. You can't just pull new concepts out of nowhere.

Anyway, Splatoon looks amazing. It's basically the shooter genre getting Pikmin'd. Action, puzzle, platformer, mascot shooter. So give it to me now, please.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The trouble is, people have little interest in New IPs. For example, Project STEAM was another new Nintendo IP shown off during this Direct, but very few people seem to care.

I do.

zruben

Banned
according to this thread, it only "counts" as a new IP when it checks ALL the following requisites:

-It has to be as big as Mario/Zelda/Metroid. Instantly.
-It has to sell millions
-It has to be made by EAD
-It has to be made or supervised by Miyamoto
-It can't be an eshop-exclusive title
-It has to be colorful
-It needs to have a unique art style
-It needs to have a unique and innovative gameplay
-It needs to be well-received by game journalists
-It needs to have AAA budget
what am I missing?

I'm amused.

Top Bottom