• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't the Dragon Quest series popular outside Japan?

Aeana

Aside from the few reasons mentioned here before, listening to the Western comments about Japanese JRPGs in the last few years makes me think that unless the turn based system has a "gimmick" to it like Persona's weaknesses, SMT's press turn, bravely/default in Bravely Default etc., the mainstream audience won't be interested. Unless it's Pokemon.

To make things worse, DQ games probably have a "stigma" of being super long (they're not, except for VII). I've seen people complaining about NieR being ~30+ hours long, so the imagined length of DQ games probably doesn't do them any favors.
Meanwhile people brag about taking over 100 hours in the latest Persona game.

SMattera

The better question is, why is it popular in Japan?

Personally like old school style JRPGs, but I think that sort of gameplay has very niche appeal.

I remember being 14 and a friend of mine having some Dragon Quest (under the name Dragon Warrior) game he really, really wanted to show me and I remember thinking "there is no way I will ever play a game called Dragon Warrior."

I think it was a Game Boy color game? But I got one look at the cartridge art and said "this looks like Dragon Ball Z" and concluded it would be too embarrassing to ever play.

If this was how my 14-year-old-brain (which had no trouble playing a game called Pokémon in public) reacted to the mere name and image of the series, I am not surprised it never caught on.

Logical, no. Decisive, yes.

Toth

I agree the failure to bring V and VI (especially VI) to America killed the franchise. It's been able to recover somewhat since but it lost an entire generation to build upon. SE latched onto them with FFVII and have made sure that each FF games gets worldwide media overexposure.

It also doesn't help that unlike FF games, DQ games are largely very similar to each other (not a bad thing mind you, but something that can turn people off).

Every mainline entry has come out on a different platform since 7. 10 hasn't even come out in the west, etc.

The differences between games aren't huge, but sometimes they shake it up to poor results. 8 is my favorite video game ever. 9 is one of the games I intensely regret purchasing. The concept of 8 being a journey was really well executed, but 9's entire scenario really lost me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The design of DQ is done by akira toriyama, it should be flying off the shelves from designs alone, but it doesnt

1upsuper

I remember being 14 and a friend of mine having some Dragon Quest (under the name Dragon Warrior) game he really, really wanted to show me and I remember thinking "there is no way I will ever play a game called Dragon Warrior."

I think it was a Game Boy color game? But I got one look at the cartridge art and said "this looks like Dragon Ball Z" and concluded it would be too embarrassing to ever play.

If this was how my 14-year-old-brain (which had no trouble playing a game called Pokémon in public) reacted to the mere name and image of the series, I am not surprised it never caught on.

Logical, no. Decisive, yes.

That is one bizarre anecdote. At 14 you were OK with Pokemon but not Dragon Ball? I'm not sure we're from the same universe. Though I was never embarrassed by little things like that though, so clearly YMMV.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My point is that in Europe.. which is the part of the world I currently live in, the first title available was Dragon Quest 8..while everyone is familiar with eg Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy since the SNES days.

Pretty self explanatory why it isn't more popular here I think.
Europe didn't have FF in the SNES days either. :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DQ games are largely very similar to each other (not a bad thing mind you, but something that can turn people off).

Sadly I agree with this. I've played all mainline DQ games and I can't tell the difference between IV, V, and VI NDS unless you show me who you're playing as.

It doesn't help the locations look 90% the same.

Aeana

I agree the failure to bring V and VI (especially VI) to America killed the franchise. It's been able to recover somewhat since but it lost an entire generation to build upon. SE latched onto them with FFVII and have made sure that each FF games gets worldwide media overexposure.

It also doesn't help that unlike FF games, DQ games are largely very similar to each other (not a bad thing mind you, but something that can turn people off).

I would buy this if Pokemon weren't as popular as it is. I think Pokemon's popularity proves that there was probably a sweet spot for the core gaming demographic, and Dragon Quest missed that period in the west.

18-Volt

But Toriyama did Dragon Ball too and that's popular in the West. :p

No, Dragon Ball is not that popular in Europe. I tried to recommend DQ to my JRPG loving friends and all of them were irritated by the "goofy" art style. They're not used to games with colorful, happy, cartoon like artstyle, European gamers were introduced to the JRPG genre with serious games like Final Fantasy VII.

Aeana

Sadly I agree with this. I've played all mainline DQ games and I can't tell the difference between IV, V, and VI NDS unless you show me who you're playing as.

It doesn't help the locations look 90% the same.

This only applies to the DS versions, though, and not the originals. And it's one of my gripes. They removed a lot of 5's personality this way.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Grinding is harsh and somewhat mandatory. A lot of repetition with very basic menus.

It benefits a lot from nostalgia in Japan and having been with people as a "dependable game" all through their life, hence some of the recent adverts.

It's one of those series where they can't change it too much as the diehards would scream, and thus unless you already like what it is, it's just going to keep feeling 'old' to any new potential audience.

The fact 11 may not have orchestral music and VA is another strike against it too after DQ8 set a new standard for the series.

Mivey

I am a bit curios about the Android ports of the older games (IV seems rather well liked). Are they well done? Meaning, useful controls, proper localization and so on. Maybe someone who played them can chime in on this.

1upsuper

This only applies to the DS versions, though, and not the originals. And it's one of my gripes. They removed a lot of 5's personality this way.

Yeah, they really homogenized that trilogy on DS and it's weird as hell. Feels more like a game in three parts when you compare how completely different the originals look from each other. Even V on the SFC is clearly distinct from the noticeably later-released VI.

Aeana

Grinding is harsh and somewhat mandatory. A lot of repetition with very basic menus.

This is completely false, though. But it does dig at one of the answers to this thread: it has a stigma that is completely unearned post-DQ2 on NES. The series is intended for all ages, and has generally been pretty easy.

It has a name that sounds extremely generic in English (And the old localized name of Dragon Warrior sound generic and tryhard) and this is the mascot of the series:

Slime_%28Dragon_Quest%29.jpg

Hmm, I'm drawing a blank here as to why it could possibly be unpopular.

Rncewind

No, Dragon Ball is not that popular in Europe. I tried to recommend DQ to my JRPG loving friends and all of them were irritated by the "goofy" art style. They're not used to games with colorful, happy, cartoon like artstyle, European gamers were introduced to the JRPG genre with serious games like Final Fantasy VII.
wut

are the nds localizations a pun fest too in the us? never played them, only eu ones

jett

D-Member
Dragon Quest's entire selling point is how traditional and old school it is. That doesn't work when the franchise in question never set roots.

MoonFrog

It has a name that sounds extremely generic in English (And the old localized name of Dragon Warrior sound generic and tryhard) and this is the mascot of the series:

There is a more attractive mascot?!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I would say that VI on Super Famicom also stood out around its release. The DS remake actually made the graphics worse. Heck I bought it after seeing the lines of people waiting for it and the gorgeous screen shots.

If V or VI had released in the West on SNES I bet DQ would be a bigger name than it is now. That or VII didn't look like an SNES game released in the 2000's.

Alas, all we can do is speculate. I've read that people love V in Japan. I personally only like VIII though from what I've played, I-VII and IX are too old-school and without the kind of stuff I like in my JRPG's. I don't claim to be a purist or anything and I probably play third-person cover shooters more than JRPG's, so yes, I'm a casual.

The good news is we're getting DQXI. The series hasn't done that badly here.

It released way to late on the ps1 and completely missed the boat of JRPG interest ff7 created.

After that you can add nearly 2 decades of long delayed pal releases

1upsuper

Your snark is completely unfounded, IMO. Dragon Warrior sounds "extremely generic" and "tryhard," while Final Fantasy does not? In the NES era, no less, when you had the likes of Wizards & Warriors, Bad Dudes, and Totally Rad?

And yikes, can't agree with you on the slime design there. It's a pretty great and simple design. Easily recognizable silhouette despite the simplicity. It's a good design.

Mozendo

It almost skipped 2 generations (SNES/PSX) in the west, also marketting but the push with DQIX and the DQ twitter page are great. Hopefully we see more of that push with XI.
Edit: Also I'd say even if it was popular the mainline games are too far in between after 7.

javadoze

The mainline games are pretty much traditional JRPGs. Outside of aesthetics and vignette stories, it's quite hard to encapsulate what makes the series stand out compared to other modern RPGs.

Type40

Because they refused to bring it our on the SNES during the height of its popularity. Sadly this was because japan believed americans didn't like RPGs beause they were too hard. Then FF7 and Pokemon happend, Suddenly every RPG was being rushed to America.

BocoDragon

My bad, doesn't matter anyway because imho the Jrpg boom started with FF7. So if they would've localized the PS1 games I'm pretty certain the franchise would be a lot more popular.

They localized Dragon Warrior VII for PS1 here in North America in 2000, and it was so dated looking that no one cared. Wouldn't have made a difference for Europe. Kind of a bad era to try and sell DQ outside of Japan.

I actually think DQ would have done better if those SNES games come out here (as others in this thread have said). We had a nice little jRPG boom on the SNES here in North America, before FFVII. jRPGS were a modest chunk of the SNES audience back then, but it would have shaped the gaming franchises that our region considers important (i.e. Chrono Trigger, FFVI)

The west had zero problems idolizing a cute yellow rodent as the mascot of a certain series that boomed in the 90's...

I am from Taiwan and my taste in gaming is pretty Japan, but for some reason I am just not all that interested in DQ. I do have tremendous respect for the series but I never feel that urge to play it.

The combat doesn't look fun to me and the art style really isn't my thing either, though I do like how the characters look.

I probably won't pick up XI either.

Pancake Mix

The west had zero problems idolizing a cute yellow rodent as the mascot of a certain series that boomed in the 90's...

Rodent?

giphy.gif

What can I say, Pokemon got big around the same time as (to borrow a 90's term) the mother of all JRPG's, Final Fantasy VII.

DQ was releasing pretty much nothing in the late 1990's in the West.

Ydelnae

The series has failed to create a sense of identity in the West and their releases missed the interests of its potential fanbase by releasing the mainline games and remakes on handheld systems and the spin offs on consoles.

While most of the fans buy the games as they are released: be it handheld or console, we do it because we already know about the series. It's very hard to introduce a newcomer to a RPG released in old hardware, and much harder if we are talking about an adaptation/remake of an older game from a series that is known for their traditional style of gameplay. While the latest releases have matched the interests of their most important market: Japan, they failed to meet the expectations from their potential western fanbase. Newcomers are not drawn into spin offs like Heroes, since they can not enjoy the fanservice component these games have and releases like Builders, which actually cater to a genre that is pretty popular overseas, are brought down because people just don't know about the brand. In past years, the series started to gain mainstream appeal thanks to DQVIII, which was pretty similar to the most successful JRPG released during the PS2 era and would cater to an audience that demanded more of those games. DQIX also found its way into new players thanks to being released on the most popular system at the time and counting on good word of mouth. However, time has shown that the demand is simply not there for remakes and re-releases, and since the series got to a stop gap these last years before releasing the next mainline entry, the interest in the series has lowered increasingly.

That is why Dragon Quest XI is an important release (and I would say, crucial. If DQXI bombs we can kiss the series goodbye in here) in the West. It marks an entry point for a new mainline game released in the leading console in western market and in a brand new system that seems to be rising in success. Not only DQXI builds on VIII, one of the most known entries in here, but also feels like the most up-to-date game in the series and the easiest way to ease a newcomer into the series. The releases of DQVII and VIII on 3DS failed to bring a Persona 4 Golden moment to the series overseas, in which new players finally learned about the series and started to anticipate future releases. They could have stood a better chance by being released in another platform, maybe, but it's also true that they were not promoted neither advertised enough for them to catch mainstream attention.

If S-E tries again with DQXI and the western gamers still don't care, then I would understand if they just simply gave up for the time being. I don't know what excuse would there be if the game underperformed.

Bitanator

It released way to late on the ps1 and completely missed the boat of JRPG interest ff7 created.

After that you can add nearly 2 decades of long delayed pal releases

It was also rather ugly that late into the ps1 life, I happen to like the graphics of VII on ps1, but the few cut scenes in the game are some of the most eye bleeding ugly things you will see

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The good news is we're getting DQXI. It hasn't done that badly here.

Yeah, the mainline has done what it can, but the problem are the spinoffs and remakes, those haven't done really well.

Comparing to FF, the remakes have done well and the spinoffs have done decently. In SteamSpy, DQH has done ~40k and DQH2 has done ~20k. Type-0 on the other hand has done ~120k.

duckroll

Dragon Quest's entire selling point is how traditional and old school it is. That doesn't work when the franchise in question never set roots.

I don't think that's really true. Most of the traditional roots DQ has comes from timeless fairy tales and Ultima. I think older RPG players in the west can relate to those just as easily even if certain specific things like the classic sound fx and side content like medals and whatnot mean nothing to them.

DQ's biggest selling point is that it is an easy to get into RPG series suitable for all age groups, with a warm family and friends feeling, that is also usually very well made. I don't think people buy DQ specifically because it is "old school".

In a cartoon comparison, I would say that most JRPGs are Adult Swim shows and DQ games are Disney movies.

Pancake Mix

Yeah, the mainline has done what it can, but the problem are the spinoffs and remakes, those haven't done really well.

Comparing to FF, the remakes have done well and the spinoffs have done decently. In SteamSpy, DQH has done ~40k and DQH2 has done ~20k. Type-0 on the other hand has done ~120k.

Type-0 HD probably sold a lot on PS4 and at full price near launch, partially for the Duscae demo. Steam sales probably don't do that one justice.

ULTROS!

Sadly the IP was heavily mismanaged by Square Enix and failed to gain traction here.

More like the IP was mismanaged during the Enix era in the West. DQ became more popular (namely the mainline games) during the Square Enix era.

BocoDragon

Selling an anime looking game in the late 90s was a lot different from selling an anime game at the beginning of the 90s.

I actually don't blame them for west-washing DQ as the more generic western fantasy "Dragon Warrior". If you were alive back then, you knew an anime look was just an impossible ask of the mainstream western audience in 1990.

Aeana

Selling an anime looking game in the late 90s was a lot different from selling an anime game at the beginning of the 90s.

I actually don't blame them for west-washing DQ as the more generic western fantasy "Dragon Warrior". If you were alive back then, you knew an anime look was just an impossible ask of the mainstream western audience in 1990.

Dragon Warrior was used because it had to be. The Dragon Quest name was unavailable at the time. But I assume what you're really referring to here is the way they redid the art, and that's definitely true.

Pancake Mix

Hell, it's arguably harder now than it was in the late 1990's.

Top Bottom