• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no Wii U love for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

Goodlife

wii u is outdated tech. considering xbone is 299-329 at black friday wii u should be about 199-229 by comparison. It's absurd that the price is still 299 for the most part. Wii u has some games i'd like to play but it's a secondary console and isn't much more powerful than a ps3 I can't justify spending so much on it. Nintendo is making this holiday an easy choice to not get a Wii u with their lack of competitive pricing.

The PS3 is still about $250 new isn't it?

The PS3 is still about $250 new isn't it?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim the current pricing of the PS3 [and also the 360 actually] is reasonable. All I've ever read is that they should be in the $100 - $150 range right now considering the length of the gen, that's of course probably infeasible for the PS3 with cell and what not but it clearly indicates what some consumers value the systems at.

Goodlife

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim the current pricing of the PS3 [and also the 360 actually] is reasonable. All I've ever read is that they should be in the $100 - $150 range right now considering the length of the gen, that's of course probably unfeasible for the PS3 with cell and what not but it clearly indicates what some consumers value the systems at.

You've read that people want things cheaper, so they should be cheaper?

People's expectations of price and sense of entitlement is odd to me at times.

Kieli

Nice choice of phrase. Believe me, the last thing we should be encouraging is companies price-gouging us.

If you need to deride it as sense of entitlement for us to "whine" about lowering prices of anything, then so be it.

StevieP

Banned
I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim the current pricing of the PS3 [and also the 360 actually] is reasonable. All I've ever read is that they should be in the $100 - $150 range right now considering the length of the gen, that's of course probably infeasible for the PS3 with cell and what not but it clearly indicates what some consumers value the systems at.

It's because that's how much they cost to make + maintain profit while maintaining retailer margin. Welcome to the new world. The "2006 tech" is more accurately 2010 tech with a giant albatross of a controller that adds to the cost as well. Add to that the console not selling so the economies of scale aren't there. Add to that retail not really wanting the console because it doesn't move like the others and you have your reasons. If retail doesn't want it, why the fuck would they go ask for more stock at a lower cost with lower margins?

Thanks to thinks like bd drives and hard drives in these consoles, you will NOT see regular (non-rebates)100-150 dollar pricing until fire sale time, and that's because it would be ludicrous to sell older systems for a loss.

In the case of the PS3/360, pricing in year 8 and 9 of the systems compared to say the PS2 and OG Xbox is fairly startling, granted the generation was much longer but there is a very real comparison to be made as neither system managed to hit the $99 pricepoint outside of specific deals like black friday which is fairly telling.

In a similar vein, one could compare the Wii U to the Wii which launched at $250, had amazing sales and maintained that price until I think end of summer 2009? Then dropped to $200. For a more similar nintendo system success-wise, the gamecube received several more notable pricecuts than the Wii U has in the same amount of time. The difference could easily be explained though as it's highly likely that the gamecube had better margins for such things.

The value of any given item is all subjective anyways but I won't begrudge people their own personal perceptions of value on any given item, opinions and all that.

It's because that's how much they cost to make + maintain profit while maintaining retailer margin. Welcome to the new world. The "2006 tech" is more accurately 2010 tech with a giant albatross of a controller that adds to the cost as well. Add to that the console not selling so the economies of scale aren't there. Add to that retail not really wanting the console because it doesn't move like the others and you have your reasons. If retail doesn't want it, why the fuck would they go ask for more stock at a lower cost with lower margins?

Thanks to thinks like bd drives and hard drives in these consoles, you will NOT see regular (non-rebates)100-150 dollar pricing until fire sale time, and that's because it would be ludicrous to sell older systems for a loss.

Oh no I totally agree with you that it makes logical sense why these companies would maintain their pricing as they have but I would love to see how many sales of each device were at what price point as I'm sure PS2 sold a significant amount of its total sales at less than $199.

PaulLFC

Just because people think something isn't good value at a certain price point doesn't mean they're "entitled". Everyone has different perceptions of value. It's supply and demand. If people don't think it's good value, they won't buy it, and if enough people make that decision, the price will (or should) decrease to bring it in line with more people's expectations so they make a purchase. If enough people are buying at the current price to produce an acceptable level of income, the price will stay as it is.

daffy

Banned
There could at least be deals on the games... literally nothing is on sale. Nothing can be on sale? Hyrule Warriors though? Or Pikmin 3? Nothing?

Ebay has two black friday bundles

Wii U 32GB Black Deluxe Set w/ Super Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land - $259.99
Wii U 8GB Skylander Console w/ Super Smash Bros Wii U - $249.99

I'm actually in the market for a WiiU console at last. Care to point me in the right direction, kind sir? I dont seem to be able to find them by myself.

Jarmel

Banned
There could at least be deals on the games... literally nothing is on sale. Nothing can be on sale? Hyrule Warriors though? Or Pikmin 3? Nothing?

There was a TRU deal last week for Wii U games but it wasn't a good one.

Yes though, it's super shitty there aren't any major deals for Wii U games like Bayonetta.

Just recently got a Wii U and need to build my library up. Couldn't afford to buy any other games for it since I got it shortly before the behemoth that was Tuesday the 18th. Was hoping to grab some good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I can't seem to find much. :/

Aroll

The problem isn't that their aren't good Black Friday deals for it, it's that not many retailers are offering them.

Toys'R'us, as an example, is selling the Skylanders bundle for $199 on Black Friday. That's like buying it off Nintendo's own online shop as a refurbished console, except you know, without waiting on shipping. In addition, it's the 8gb console, but as a Wii U owner that isn't relevant, you'll need an external either way.

ebay has a couple good deals, and almost all retailers are selling the deluxe console with 3D world plus nintendo land for $300. Doesn't feel like a deal on the surface, but that's actually almost $40 below it's normal retail price. Also puts the Best Buy deal in perspective.

I also don't know about any of you, but today I couldn't even FIND a Wii U at Shopko, Walmart, or GameStop, Smash sold it out. THey have new shipments coming for this weekend of course (supposedly arriving tomorrow), but yeah. Whatever they have coming in, retailers expect to sell them out just from Smash alone. May suck to hear that, but that may be the reason not many are running deals.

iphys

The Superstore No Tax here in Canada seems good

No TAX!
WiiU SM3DW for 280 with $25 PC GC

I don't get why we're getting better deals in Canada when our dollar is so much worse right now. There was that $250 SM3DW bundle at TRU and I think Shoppers has the Wii U for $280 this weekend and a bonus redemption that allows you to get $210 with points instead of the usual $170, so that's $60 saved all together if you've got the points. The SM3DW Wii U bundle should really be $250 everywhere in the US for Black Friday, especially considering the XOne is now priced so similarly and suddenly taking the US by storm.

Neifirst

There's a good chance that those games and others will receive discounts on the Nintendo eshop. They've already posted 10 or so games and have tweeted that more are coming on "cyber Monday." Keep in mind they've done some excellent offers this year: Mario Kart 8 came with a choice of 1 free game back in the summer, and Bayonetta 2 comes with 1 for free.

fedexpeon

Banned
Does Nintendo make special theme WiiU console?
If so, I think I will wait for the Zelda or Xeno Chronicle bundle.
I hate it when Nintendo bundles in Mario games.
It adds to the cost of the console since the game isn't physical for resale.

Richie

Does Nintendo make special theme WiiU console?
If so, I think I will wait for the Zelda or Xeno Chronicle bundle.
I hate it when Nintendo bundles in Mario games.
It adds to the cost of the console since the game isn't physical for resale.

The games are physical.

I don't get this thread. The system is cheaper than the other two options already. No it's not equal ground in terms of hardware, but that doesn't mean it should be sub-$200. Just buy the damn thing if you're interested in it, it's a solid console!

impact

Banned
I wish it was $270.

It's actually for $359 you get

SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD Wii U Bundle (comes with Nintendoland)
+ Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
+ Super Smash Bros. U

That's basically one free game for the price

bestbuywhyl5yp8.png

That would be a decent deal if it happened any other time of the year...

It's an awful Black Friday deal though, and I enjoyed Smash U, DK and 3D World.

Maitiú

i want to cop a Wii U just for DK Tropical Freeze but goddamn Nintendo work with me..
i just got an Xbox One for $260 tax included with multiple games, why is the Wii U still so pricey? im sorry but the Wii U is worth $175 tops. not biting till i find a deal for that price.

traded in my xbox360 for the Microsoft Store $100 promo/coupon + $50 off Assassins Creed Unity $350 bundle. so $350-$100 = $250 + tax = $260 . no way a Wii U should be as much as an Xbox One, at all.

Disingenuous shit like this is so tiresome.

"Dude guys I got this awesome thing for this unbelievable price!"
"No way! HOW!?"
"Well, I gave up my possessions! And I also turned cash into a gift card a while back, so I used that gift card. I don't count that because I've convinced myself it's not real money, even though I convinced myself it was essentially money when I decided to jump on the promotional deal that it came with."
"Oh, so you're lying to yourself. Good job."

Now this post goes further, being so delusional as to use this to demand that the Wii U be priced lower than $175. Good grief.

Skele7on

Banned
There are little to no deals for the Wii U console this upcoming Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I have seen various deals for XB1 and PS4 but only a few for the Wii U and all of them seem terrible.
It doesn't surprise me that the two most popular consoles have the most deals, but this being a holiday where children are expected to receive presents, you'd think the Wii U was in high demand by kids... Right?...

Plus, I want a Wii U.

Go buy one then, it's not like they're insanely expensive. Quit being so cheap.

zigg

Maitiú;140468275 said:
Now this post goes further, being so delusional as to use this to demand that the Wii U be priced lower than $175. Good grief.
I bet I could get a Wii U and its entire library of games for $175 if I traded in my car and used the cash towards my purchase.

I think that most of the people complaining that the Wii U is too expensive don't really have any intention of getting one. They're really not expensive for the experiences that are available in my opinion.

Huff

Banned
I think that most of the people complaining that the Wii U is too expensive don't really have any intention of getting one. They're really not expensive for the experiences that are available in my opinion.

Or we don't think it's worth the money they are asking for at this point. It's expensive for a machine I might play a couple games on

Nope. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and really want a Wii U but $300 is simply too much for what the system is, and I'm not buying a refurbished one.

Maitiú;140468275 said:
Disingenuous shit like this is so tiresome.

"Dude guys I got this awesome thing for this unbelievable price!"
"No way! HOW!?"
"Well, I gave up my possessions! And I also turned cash into a gift card a while back, so I used that gift card. I don't count that because I've convinced myself it's not real money, even though I convinced myself it was essentially money when I decided to jump on the promotional deal that it came with."
"Oh, so you're lying to yourself. Good job."

uh no, you clearly didnt understand what i meant when i wrote that.

the Microsoft store had a deal that you could trade in your xbox360 for a $100 promo code.

then that was added to the $50 off promo Microsoft was doing on all there Xbox One bundles.

so i got the $100 promo + the $50 off. thats it. i didnt trade anything else toward getting an Xbox One. the Xbox One i bought CAME WITH TWO GAMES, Assassins Creed Unity and Black Flag. so i was able to get an Xbox One for $260 by only trading in my Xbox360 and using another promo code Microsoft was offering.

and fuck yes the Wii U is too expensive, theres no reason a PS4 and Xbox One can be bought cheaper than a Wii U at the moment. the Wii U is hardly worth its asking price considering the online is way behind XBL and PSN, then you have no 3rd party and only a handful of 1st party games that are worth getting imo. so yes andything above $175 for a new Wii U isnt worth it too me.

StevieP

Banned
uh no, you clearly didnt understand what i meant when i wrote that.

the Microsoft store had a deal that you could trade in your xbox360 for a $100 promo code.

then that was added to the $50 off promo Microsoft was doing on all there Xbox One bundles.

so i got the $100 promo + the $50 off. thats it. i didnt trade anything else toward getting an Xbox One. the Xbox One i bought CAME WITH TWO GAMES, Assassins Creed Unity and Black Flag. so i was able to get an Xbox One for $260 by only trading in my Xbox360 and using another promo code Microsoft was offering.

and fuck yes the Wii U is too expensive, theres no reason a PS4 and Xbox One can be bought cheaper than a Wii U at the moment. the Wii U is hardly worth its asking price considering the online is way behind XBL and PSN, then you have no 3rd party and only a handful of 1st party games that are worth getting imo. so yes andything above $175 for a new Wii U isnt worth it too me.

I bet you if you trade a PS4 in for a Wii U, they'll actually give you money. Imagine that. You can actually get FREE money for buying a console!

StevieP

Banned
nintendo threads never disappoint lol. same old shit.

You don't get why your comparison is hilariously off base?

It's OK to believe that a box is not worth its value. I do that with boxes all the time.
It's not OK to use various reselling scenarios and trade-in logic to distort the price of one.

TomShoe

Banned
Toys R Us is selling the Wii U with Skylanders for $199. That's the one I'll be getting if it's online. That and MK8 for $30 (with GCU) is a terrific deal.

Raw64life

Ebay has two black friday bundles

Wii U 32GB Black Deluxe Set w/ Super Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land - $259.99
Wii U 8GB Skylander Console w/ Super Smash Bros Wii U - $249.99

These bundles should be official and everywhere instead of just an eBay flash deal. Nintendo is dropping the ball by not doing so.

You don't get why your comparison is hilariously off base?

It's OK to believe that a box is not worth its value. I do that with boxes all the time.
It's not OK to use various reselling scenarios and trade-in logic to distort the price of one.

yes and i get that. but my point is that i was able to get an Xbox One by trading in an xbox360 that i wasnt using, it was collecting dust. so to me i got $100 for something that had no value to me and likely wouldnt normally get a trade in value of $100. i also didnt feel the Xbox One was worth it at $350, and my sweet spot was under $300. so i was able to get an Xbox One and two digital games for $260, the price i was comfortable with. the Wii U on ther other hand (as far as i know) has no such trade in deals or similar deals going on for black friday. i would love to buy a Wii U, but have ni intention of buying a Wii u for over $175. i would have no issues trading in other stuff to get a Wii U, but im not aware of Nintendo running any such deals. so my point is i was able to get an Xbox One for $260 (it doesnt matter how i got it for that price) and im not able to get a Wii U, trade in or no trade ins, for the price i want.

EulaCapra

Smash just came out yet NoA is making a blunder with Black Friday invisibility with the actual console itself. Those Black Friday ads are really important and apart from Best Buy, no one's screaming "Buy a Wii U while you're at!"

Reminded me when I was in Black Friday line at Best Buy in 2012 and I thought for sure Wii U's would all be gone. Nope. It felt like I was the only one to pick it up out of a stack of 60.

StevieP

Banned
People are, again, missing the fact that retailers don't want this console. It doesn't really sell very well, so there are no incentives to buy more and seek rebates as they do for hot ticket items.

Derpyduck

Banned
People are, again, missing the fact that retailers don't want this console. It doesn't really sell very well, so there are no incentives to buy more and seek rebates as they do for hot ticket items.
The console maker also has to incentivize retailers. It's no coincidence that the Xbox One bundle is dropping to 329 everywhere tomorrow. Nintendo just doesn't appear to care about selling the Wii U on Black Friday. Either that or they stupidly think it will sell on the strength of Smash.

GeekyDad

wii u is outdated tech. considering xbone is 299-329 at black friday wii u should be about 199-229 by comparison. It's absurd that the price is still 299 for the most part. Wii u has some games i'd like to play but it's a secondary console and isn't much more powerful than a ps3 I can't justify spending so much on it. Nintendo is making this holiday an easy choice to not get a Wii u with their lack of competitive pricing.

Can't play Smash or MK on Xbone. Just on the outdated tech.

Nintendo probably can't afford to lose any more money on discounting the system if it isn't going to cause any sort of significant turnaround in sales (which it probably won't) so they are probably just going to ride it out at the current price point for a while.

Resilient

Down in Aus Wii U (8GB) are going quite cheap, with the Skylanders set you can get it for 179AU. Apart from that, there aren't any mega deals here either :(

yes and i get that. but my point is that i was able to get an Xbox One by trading in an xbox360 that i wasnt using, it was collecting dust. so to me i got $100 for something that had no value to me and likely wouldnt normally get a trade in value of $100. i also didnt feel the Xbox One was worth it at $350, and my sweet spot was under $300. so i was able to get an Xbox One and two digital games for $260, the price i was comfortable with. the Wii U on ther other hand (as far as i know) has no such trade in deals or similar deals going on for black friday. i would love to buy a Wii U, but have ni intention of buying a Wii u for over $175. i would have no issues trading in other stuff to get a Wii U, but im not aware of Nintendo running any such deals. so my point is i was able to get an Xbox One for $260 (it doesnt matter how i got it for that price) and im not able to get a Wii U, trade in or no trade ins, for the price i want.

You actually got the Xbox One for $410 with the games, maybe more because that 360 most likely cost you more than the $150 trade-in value it was worth. LoL.

Top Bottom