• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why on Earth did Respawn think no custom Titan loadouts was a good idea?

Custom loadouts end up being the same 95% for everyone when people figure out which weapon/loadout is slightly better than the rest.

Fucking this. I missed 'building' my Titan, but when it all comes down to which pieces or custom loadouts will give me the upper hand instead of doing it for the fun all the meta will circle around that and that's all you're going to see.

Reebot

Wait, there are only 3 types of Titans to choose?

Thats crazy if each has a preset, unchangeable weapon loadout. I thought there would be like 10-12 choices something like that.

There are 6 titans, 2 of each chassis. The "chassis" isn't a meaningful way to sort titans; there aren't just 3 types.

They all feel and play pretty different, the game doesn't suffer for lack of titan variety.

Sojgat

It was a good idea.

I disagree with some of the other changes from TF1, but the hero Titan design is better.

Fucking this. I missed 'building' my Titan, but when it all comes down to which pieces or custom loadouts will give me the upper hand instead of doing it for the fun all the meta will circle around that and that's all you're going to see.

Right...
Because its not like 95% of people arent choosing Tone

lol
It solved nothing

kobu

They are pretty balanced. Perfect? No, there's room for tweaks. I would say some titans have a steeper learning curve and their difficulty ratings for each titan aren't really accurate

I don't know man I really like northstar but his health makes absolutely no sense to me. I suck at the game though so it's whatever.

I'm pretty sure there are less than 6 mainstream titan loadouts in TF1. Though currently the balance of certain ones in TF2 needs some work.

This, it makes titan encounters more tactical knowing what you're up against and how to counter it.

True, and it also let them give the Titans more radical 'OP' abilities, knowing they could balance them in other ways. The Titans in the sequel cover a much wider gamut of gameplay options, from flight to area control to melee specialization.

It wouldn't be terrible for Respawn to give the existing Titan customization a little more variety, that seems like an obvious area for expansion, but the current setup is simply better game design. (Titanfall 2 actually does have custom Titan loadouts, they are just extremely limited compared to the original.)

Izuna

Banned
I don't know man I really like northstar but his health makes absolutely no sense to me. I suck at the game though so it's whatever.

TITANFALL |OT2| Don't Misgender Northstar either.

--

Northstar is amazing. I see people having problems understanding how to beat Tone (because her abilities are so easy to utilise and understand in comparison) but Northstar is bae --

n0razi

Its better than what Titanfall 1's titan meta turned into.. a team of Arc Cannon wielding Atlases

Revas

I was letdown by the decision to have titans function like heroes, but really the game is fine. The maps suck, but titans are fine.

This game is clicking for me in a way that first never really managed to. Then again, I don't feel like over half of my deaths come from getting my hitbox melee'd from across a room.

I personally don't mind constraining Titans to specific weapons, it makes the game more readable.

Falchion

Like other have said, it's so that if you see a Scorch or whatever on the battlefield just tearing it up, you can form a hard counter.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think there's room for improvement in the balance of Titans -- Tone is just simply a better option in most situations than any other Titan, for instance -- but the thing I really miss is the durability of Titans from the first game. Even if you DO manage to obtain a battery in TF2, it's more like an extra sliver of life than a shield (it doesn't regenerate, obviously).

I always felt like the gameplay was better in Titanfall 1 for that reason -- the time to kill for Titans enabled more strategic gameplay and variety. *shrug*

Still love Titanfall 2 though, and it's far and away the best shooter of the generation after Titanfall 1 -- it may even be better -- I just haven't sunk enough time into it yet to make a final call.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Because they want you to be able to tell what you're up against at a moment's glance, and plan accordingly. It's to create visual shorthand. It's really smart, from a design perspective.

You know what you're opponent is capable of just by looking at them. It creates a quick reaction language that all players can participate in after a little time playing the game.

I agree with the readability point. Also makes it easier to balance a larger range of Titans, since they only need to consider 6 (for now) possibilities vs. the teeming multitude that comes with a loadout system.

Could they have gone another way? Sure, but barring some questionable balancing decisions, I like the results just fine. Looking forward to seeing what new Titans they roll out later down the line.

ed: I will admit that I'm kind of disappointed in the paint options, though. A lot of them are just garish when you slap them on a Titan, and most of the rest are boring.

Deadbeat

Banned
Because everyone rolled around with Stryder, chaingun, extra boosts, etc. it became too predictable and easily abused.
Then why not lock down pilot loadouts in titanfall 2 as well? Lock each class to a specific model. That way pilot silhouettes dictate what weapons you will encounter.

Vidpixel

Frankly between that the slower speed and the inferior maps this game isn't nearly as good as the original. I mean wtf, experimenting with different Titan chasis and weapon combinations was a big part of the fun. Such a shame but given all of that I doubt this game will even have the legs the first one did.

This right here is why I feel they decided to make these changes. The first game simply didn't have any legs, so changes had to be made to help add just a bit more depth to the gameplay. The specific loadouts correlating to each Titan adds a layer of strategy, as they provide the player with a tell as to what abilities and weapons the Titan they're going up against has at their disposal.

I don't understand how having everything being predictable is such a great design decision. If that was truly the case then wouldn't having only 1 Titan loadout be the most balanced and predictable situation? People complained that TF1 got stale because of not enough "stuff" to unlock or whatever but apparently there were too many options in TF1 since now there are only 6 Titan varieties.

KodaRuss

I like it. Sorry OP I dont see a problem with it. Everyone would have the same few best options if they were fully customizable.

Even Northstar is really good in the right hands.

Basically to play all the Titans well you need a different playstyle. And that is what I like about the game.

Its like a Fighting game in that respect.

KodaRuss

Lot of whiny Titanfall 1 fans on Gaf it seems.

Can't wait for the next thread in a few days.

The game is universally praised, get over it.

Izuna

Banned

wjt67Ij.gif

I wish they had went in the opposite direction and added MechWarrior level customization. Not really the same userbase though. :/

Mechazawa

Alternatively: stop reading these threads if your baby butt sensibilities are going to get this easily bruised.

This really is the next Halo. I fully expect that TF3 will pull down massive praise from critics and the general public and very nearly as much vocal condemnation from a tiny minority that thinks Respawn fucked up everything that made TF2 great, while in the background the TF1 diehards stubbornly insist that while yes, TF3 is garbage, TF2 is very nearly as bad.

And then the cycle repeats, until the end of time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Others have already mentioned readability and hero design philosophy (you learn to see what you're up against and how to react). I'll add that the T2 method gives each Titan a unique personality which can really heighten the experience, both on and offline.

By "offline" I just mean chatting on places like GAF. Having a favourite titan means there's another social layer to engage with, while there are still plenty of ways to tailor each loadout to your playstyle (not to mention the pilots).

This (and the other things the OP mentioned) are obviously hot button topics when it comes to the series and its fans, and fair points can be raised on both sides. To be honest, the OP could have been worded to sensibly discuss changes from the original. There are already a number of threads floating around if all you wanted to do is cause a stir.

Pikelet

I don't understand how having everything being predictable is such a great design decision. If that was truly the case then wouldn't having only 1 Titan loadout be the most balanced and predictable situation?

This is absurd. There is a middle ground between having too much options and having no options at all.

The change to 6 meaningfully-different classes does wonders from an accessibility and readability standpoint while still providing quite a bit of variety.

As someone who pretty much bounced off of TF1 after a few hours, I'm very happy with the direction they have taken with 2. They've removed a lot of the shit from the multiplayer (remember the godawful burn card system?) and improved on all the good bits.

LiK

Custom means someone will come up with the best custom loadout and then everyone will use it. Metas ruin everything.

I think a potential solution to this could be to see how this plays out with Titanfall 2, then bring back custom loadouts for certain modes in Titanfall 3. Other games do this well, like Halo 5 for example. Some modes like Warzone allow for custom loadouts, whereas Arena modes are more predictable with strict loadouts.
Alternatively: stop reading these threads if your baby butt sensibilities are going to get this easily bruised.
We're all a bunch of baby butts on this forum, to be fair.

Lothars

This really is the next Halo. I fully expect that TF3 will pull down massive praise from critics and the general public and very nearly as much vocal condemnation from a tiny minority that thinks Respawn fucked up everything that made TF2 great, while in the background the TF1 diehards stubbornly insist that while yes, TF3 is garbage, TF2 is very nearly as bad.

And then the cycle repeats, until the end of time.
Except That with Halo 343 has fucked it up for a bunch of Halo fans. I feel they majorly dropped the ball and the aiming is one of the big areas. TF2 is different than TF1 but all the changes make sense even if there is a group of people that don't agree.

Reebot

Others have already mentioned readability and hero design philosophy (you learn to see what you're up against and how to react). I'll add that the T2 method gives each Titan a unique personality which can really heighten the experience, both on and offline.

By "offline" I just mean chatting on places like GAF. Having a favourite titan means there's another social layer to engage with, while there are still plenty of ways to tailor each loadout to your playstyle (not to mention the pilots).

This (and the other things the OP mentioned) are obviously hot button topics when it comes to the series and its fans, and fair points can be raised on both sides. To be honest, the OP could have been worded to sensibly discuss changes from the original. There are already a number of threads floating around if all you wanted to do is cause a stir.

Adding that Titan identification aspect is a good start, but they really need more voice work to drive it home. Everyone's too quiet in this game, more chatter builds the personality.

I'd even pay for some additional, contextual lines for Titans and announcers.

Schlorgan

Adding that Titan identification aspect is a good start, but they really need more voice work to drive it home. Everyone's too quiet in this game, more chatter builds the personality.

I'd even pay for some additional, contextual lines for Titans and announcers

Snoop Dogg announcer pack incoming?

I would buy that immediately.

Top Bottom