• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why so much hate for Super Mario Sunshine?

TheYanger

I don't get the hate. I'm far from outstanding at games and I thought aside from the last level and that one leaf riding level (One of the non-FLUDD ones), that the game was completely fair and not too challenging in the least. The last level took me many tries, the rest, 2 tops for even the hardest of stars really.

Salsa

This thread made me replay it. Finished my third Mario Galaxy playthough a while ago and this might be the only Mario game i finished only once. This will do for a mario fix until Galaxy 2 :p. 2 hours in.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It had some good ideas, and some inspired level design in places, but it had a lot of things that took the shine off the game as a whole.

The last boss and useless boatride to get there being probably the lowpoint of any Mario game to date.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A Link to the Snitch said:
Ocarina lacked a concise overworld, and misguided attempts at bringing things from previous games into it. Of the minor things, rocks and bushes were brought back for no reason; in LttP and LA, they served a purpose, to block the player from an area, while in OoT they're just things you break.

Wait, what? Rocks did indeed block the player from progressing to certain areas (like the shortcut in the Goron city that let you travel to the lost woods and quite a few fairy fountain locations). Also, the smaller rocks and bushes had rupees, bombs and other stuff, just like LttP and LA did so I don't know what you're getting at exactly.

tetrisgrammaton said:
if living a lie means being a dick on a message board to compensate for some inadequacy elsewhere, then maybe so.
My friend, if we were to sit here and try to hash out all of my inadequacies, we would be here all day. However, I can take solace in the fact that I have never game over'd on the easiest game series in the universe.

Seriously, my Nana plays these games and doesn't game over. Do you have lobster claws for hands or something?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the reason I hated it was because it was a confirmation of everything horrible about the transition from the N64 to the GC: everything keeps getting worse. I though SM64 was Mario's death and SMS was just pissing on his grave. SMG finally proved that Nintendo could make a good 3D Mario game, unlike the first two.

Basically, every Mario got progressively BEST GAME EVER until Mario 64, and Sunshine was worse than that. That's why there's so much hate for it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
My friend, if we were to sit here and try to hash out all of my inadequacies, we would be here all day. However, I can take solace in the fact that I have never game over'd on the easiest game series in the universe.

Seriously, my Nana plays these games and doesn't game over. Do you have lobster claws for hands or something?
Do you know how hard it is to play SMS and masturbate?!

DO YOU?!?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Do you have lobster claws for hands or something?
You cut me deep Segata...You cut me deep.

Skate-It.jpg

Oblivion said:
Wait, what? Rocks did indeed block the player from progressing to certain areas (like the shortcut in the Goron city that let you travel to the lost woods and quite a few fairy fountain locations). Also, the smaller rocks and bushes had rupees, bombs and other stuff, just like LttP and LA did so I don't know what you're getting at exactly.

I was more referring to the rocks you find scattered about less so than the big ol' boulders. And the bushes in LttP and LA often blocked players from passages; more so with Link's Awakening since you could not lift bushes without the power gloves. OoT only had bushes arranged in circles, like they were trying to awkwardly incorporate the bushes into the gameplay.`

Segata Sanshiro said:

lol point well taken. no, but i game over'd twice on the mecha-bowser section, then again twice on one of the secret levels because i never accumulated extra 1ups.

robjoh

tetrisgrammaton said:
maybe you just haven't played sunshine in a while? i started playing on friday and have had at least 5 game overs. they're not multitudes of 1ups thrown at you as in galaxy and NSMBwii.

As mentioned before: you can easily find more than 5 lives at the plaza. I have never had a game over in Super Mario Sunshine, however I do love the game.

spliced

While the other 3-D Marios are better, this is still a pretty darn good game with a few flaws here and there.

The criticism I never understood was how the FLUDD was supposedly a gimmick. I mean was the Fire Flower a gimmick in SMB, was the cape a gimmick in SMW.

Top Bottom