• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Futureman said:
ok, I know the DS Zeldas don't get much love, but I love the series and my used store has Phantom Hourglass for $14.

No brainer for $14?
It's a fun game, just don't expect something that's going to compete with some of the classic Zelda titles in terms of quality. Also, make sure you don't mind the fact that the game is entirely controlled via the stylus.

Personally I think Spirit Tracks is better, though, I really enjoyed that game.
Yes, even the train.

Karl2177

A bit lttp, but the last Pokemon game I played was Crystal/Silver. Are SoulSilver/HeartGold worth picking up for nostalgia's sake?

This is my current DS collection, please recommend stuff to fill it out.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Kirby: Canvas Curse
New Super Mario Bros.
N+
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Jewel Master: Egypt
Picross DS
Tetris DS
Meteos
Brain Age 2
Super Scribblenauts
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Megaman ZX
Contra 4
Elite Beat Agents

=>and I just bought Soul Bubbles.
I've played most of these a decent amount, and some of them obessively, but not gotten to a couple of them. e.g. I'll wait on other Advance Wars games after I play the first one, and the final Prof. Layton game after I finish the 2nd one (about halfway through). I should also say I wasn't a big fan of Phoenix Wright.

Particularly looking for more games like Castlevania and Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I got a 3DS at launch and have Zelda and Ghost Recon for it as well as Layton and Pokemon. A friend recommended Hotel Dusk, is it worth getting?

Phoenixus said:
Try Super Princess Peach or Giana Sisters (sp?), have heard good things about them.
I'll vouch for Giana Sisters, its quite awesome. One downside is its quite hard to find as the only english version came out in Australia.

That said I'm in Australia and I know a store that has a few copies left so if your interested let me know and I'll see what I can do.

haha, finished Ace Attorney (the first one) yesterday, last trial was so hard, failed so many times I felt embarrassed; now which one should I start playing?

ngower

My nephew is being given a DS Lite for his seventh birthday. I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for him? I'd LOVE to give him the Layton series, but understand they're a little over his ability.

Famassu

My godson (8) loves New Super Mario Bros. I'd guess Kirby: Canvas Curse (US)/Power Paintbrush (EU) will also get tons of love. Plenty of good platforming to go around on DS that is suitable for children of that age, you might want to check out that section in the OP.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
just got sonic rush yesterday cos of gaf recommendation its great.

waiting for gta chinatown and trauma tomorrow. i got all 3 for 25 bucks. any other good, cheap ds games?

Hey GAF I need some recommendations for buying a $20 DS game on Amazon. I have narrowed it down to these titles; please choose from this list only.

Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story- I LOVED the first DS title and the Gameboy Advance one too.

The World Ends With You- I have heard great things about this game and am curious to see if its any good.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215- Nintendo published game. Heard its good and I know nothing on how it works or what its about.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village- Never seen game footage but I do like puzzle games.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth- Have played all the other Ace Attorney games and am curious to see if its anything similar to the past titles.

thegreatchamp said:
Hey GAF I need some recommendations for buying a $20 DS game on Amazon. I have narrowed it down to these titles; please choose from this list only.

Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story- I LOVED the first DS title and the Gameboy Advance one too.

The World Ends With You- I have heard great things about this game and am curious to see if its any good.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215- Nintendo published game. Heard its good and I know nothing on how it works or what its about.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village- Never seen game footage but I do like puzzle games.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth- Have played all the other Ace Attorney games and am curious to see if its anything similar to the past titles.
Wow, that's a tough one. I have all of these, choosing between them is pretty hard, but I can at least narrow it down to 2 - Bowser's Inside Story and The World Ends with You.

Umm...flip a coin...?

thegreatchamp said:
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story- The high quality that you expect. Hilarious. Fun as hell. Looks great. Dozens of cool mechanics.

The World Ends With You- Stylized JRPG with awesome music. Takes tons of risks and most of them generally pay off. Lots of surprises in both story and gameplay. The battle system takes skill to master. Unorthodox and quite a good game.

Answer in quotes with my opinions. Consider nothing else before those two. They're both amazing games. (I personally like Bowser more, but TWEWY is still god tier)

Hyunkel6

thegreatchamp said:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth- Have played all the other Attorney games and am curious to see if its anything similar to the past titles.
TWEWY hands down. One of the best games on the system IMO. Unique gameplay mixed with a good story and an awesome soundtrack. Lots of replayability too. It's not for everyone though. Check out some trailers first.

Hotel Dusk is also among my favorites, but that's because I'm a sucker for these types of games. I love the atmosphere and the art. Once you finished it though, you'll most likely never get back to it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
thegreatchamp said:

You honestly can't go wrong with any of those, excluding Hotel Dusk. I think it's a great game, but you gotta know what you're getting into with a game like that.

I say go with The World Ends With You, knowing that it takes a while for the game to get really good. I remember thinking "Why does GAF like this so much?" and then I got it later on.

I recommend Ghost Trick and 999. I also enjoyed both the Mario & Luigi games, but everyone's already recommended those. I didn't like TWEWY as much as others here.

I'm looking forward to the latest Layton game. I wish I still had my XL, but alas it was stolen and I'm stuck using the tiny screen on my 3DS. I can't really justify buying another XL now.

Boney

Banned
thegreatchamp said:

I'd take HD and AAI out of the equation unless you're really itching for a text game.

Then between the 3, if you liked Partners in Time, you'll love BiS cause PiT sucks balls. It's a solid RPG, fun battle system and it's hilarious. Great pacing as well.

TWEWY is amazing as well, but there is a chance you might no like it. It has a complex battle system that takes a while for you to wrap your mind around it. It's really great though, plenty of new ideas in it and has a great style as well. I love it.

Layton is pretty fun as well, it's gonna be a bit slower paced, but the art style and mistery will draw you as you solve the puzles. There's plenty to do and it'll last you a while. I suggest checking some footage though.

Between the 3 i'd say BiS if you're feeling conservative or TWEWY if you wanna risk it.

MooMoo

thegreatchamp said:
It seems that most of you recommend Mario & Luigi and TWEWY.

Which seems better to pick up?
Yikes. You might as flip a coin seeing as they're both great titles. Obviously M&L is the safe choice since you've played the previous titles. I know a lot of people say TWEWY is awesome (I was in denial before purchasing it but once it was in my hands I loved it) but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. If you're willing to give its battle system a chance and don't mind the jpop-ish music, I'd choose TWEWY over M&L simply because it would offer you a more refreshing gameplay experience over M&L.

Edit: Dammit beaten D:

TWEWY is a top-20-of-all-time game for me. It's the only game Square has released since 2001 that really feels like those gloriously experimental yet magnificently executed RPGs they churned out on the PSX; it's full of incredibly innovative mechanics that address many of people's biggest complaints about JRPGs (no forced random encounters! complete, on-the-fly difficulty control!) plus it's got a pretty cool story and a kickin' soundtrack. I paid $40 and don't regret it a bit.

Everything in your list is a good game and I don't think you would do wrong getting any of them, but if you want the best, TWEWY is absolutely my recommendation.

Thanks for all the replies GAF.

I eventually chose TWEWY for $9 and DragonBall Origins for $20. The special Amazon promotion really helped me choose what title to get. :)

Chopper

Epic thread.

How essential is DB Origins 2?

How import friendly are Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!, and Irozuki Tingle no Koi no Balloon Trip.

Thanks for any help. My DS collection is nearing completion!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My dad bought a 3DS recently so today I inherited his regular DS Lite. All I know of the DS at this point is that it has a lot of RPGs and Bowser's Inside Story is awesome. Given the OP hasn't been updated in roughly 2 years, what DS games since then should I look into? I'll play anything.

Fun fact: this is my first portable console since the GBC. :)

jarosh

JaseC said:
My dad bought a 3DS recently so today I inherited his regular DS Lite. All I know of the DS at this point is that it has a lot of RPGs and Bowser's Inside Story is awesome. Given the OP hasn't been updated in roughly 2 years, what DS games since then should I look into? I'll play anything.

Fun fact: this is my first portable console since the GBC. :)
op has been updated almost exactly a year ago and is still representative of what's out there and what's good. there have been only a handful of new games and most of them have been covered on the last 2 pages or so.

JaseC

jarosh said:
op has been updated almost exactly a year ago and is still representative of what's out there and what's good. there have been only a handful of new games and most of them have been covered on the last 2 pages or so.

Ah, yeah, sorry, you're right, I scrolled to the final post of the OP and assumed the rest also hadn't been updated. I'll have a look through the previous few pages. Cheers. :)

Boney

Banned
It's really impossible to give recomendations out of the blue. See the OP for games that interst you and we can give feedback along the links that are also in the OP.

What are your favourite genres for instance?

Well, if I was just starting out with the DS, knowing what I know now, these are the games I would start hunting down first.

Any of the Castlevania titles. Some will say get Dawn of Sorrow, some will say Portrait of Ruin, and some will swear by Order of Ecclesia, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. (Though if it were me, I'd try to find them all.)

The Ace Attorney games. Again, much like the Castlevania titles, I have a hard time not recommending them all. At least start with the first - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and go from there.

Mario Kart DS. In my mind, a must have for the system. One of the best MK's in a long time. Except for the annoyingly cheap blue shells. But overall, it's pretty awesome especially considering there are so many course packed in here. Some of them from MK's of the past. Courses from the original SNES game, to the GBA game, to the N64, to the Gamecube. But plenty of original courses as well.

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX. But especially V and IX. Great old school jprg goodness.

Retro Game Challenge. Quirky and awesome. See the link in the OP for more info, but it's such a great game.

Some more:

Chrono Trigger
Picross 3D
Peggle
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
The World Ends With You
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Tetris DS
Etrian Odyssey 2 or 3

I could go on and on.

charlequin said:
TWEWY is a top-20-of-all-time game for me. It's the only game Square has released since 2001 that really feels like those gloriously experimental yet magnificently executed RPGs they churned out on the PSX; it's full of incredibly innovative mechanics that address many of people's biggest complaints about JRPGs (no forced random encounters! complete, on-the-fly difficulty control!) plus it's got a pretty cool story and a kickin' soundtrack. I paid $40 and don't regret it a bit.

Everything in your list is a good game and I don't think you would do wrong getting any of them, but if you want the best, TWEWY is absolutely my recommendation.

This is so true! The OST is wonderful anyway, one of the best piece of music in a videogame ever.

JaseC

Boney said:
It's really impossible to give recomendations out of the blue. See the OP for games that interst you and we can give feedback along the links that are also in the OP.

What are your favourite genres for instance?

As far as handhelds are concerned, probably platformers and RPGs, both of which I know the DS has an abundance of, and both of which I've well looked into. :)

Is NSMB worth playing considering I've played NSBWii? The two seem very similar.

JaseC said:
As far as handhelds are concerned, probably platformers and RPGs, both of which I know the DS has an abundance of, and both of which I've well looked into. :)

Is NSMB worth playing considering I've played NSBWii? The two seem very similar.
TWEWY is currently $20 at amazon; it is an excellent game and uses DS features (touch and dual screen) pretty neatly.

Castlevania is not really a platformer, but Dawn of Sorrow has some very well done platforming and too is an excellent game.

N+ is an excellent pure platformer as well, if you are into super meat boy kind of platformers
and it is only $12!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TPTCRS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JaseC

walking fiend said:
TWEWY is currently $20 at amazon; it is an excellent game and uses DS features (touch and dual screen) pretty neatly.

Castlevania is not really a platformer, but Dawn of Sorrow has some very well done platforming and too is an excellent game.

N+ is an excellent pure platformer as well, if you are into super meat boy kind of platformers
and it is only $12!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TPTCRS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Noted, cheers. :) Castlevania I will most definitely snap up seeing as I've been starved for Metroidvanias since Aquaria.

jarosh

JaseC said:
they are nothing alike, except for the similar art style. they're different games. that said, nsmb wii >>>>>>> nsmb ds.

JaseC

jarosh said:
they are nothing alike, except for the similar art style. they're different games. that said, nsmb wii >>>>>>> nsmb ds.

Ah, right. As someone who found NSMBWii quite easy, how's the difficulty of the DS version?

JaseC said:
Ah, right. As someone who found NSMBWii quite easy, how's the difficulty of the DS version?
I find it shitty, if that helps. But getting all the stars is definitely not easy at some levels, at some levels, you'll just get them all in your first run without ever noticing.

JaseC

walking fiend said:
I find it shitty, if that helps.

Haha, I suppose it does.

But getting all the stars is definitely not easy at some levels, at some levels, you'll just get them all in your first run without ever noticing.

Sound similar to NSBWii.

Famassu

Difference is, even though NSMBWii is easy too, at least the level designs aren't boring, like they are in NSMB DS.

And NSMB Wii has that awesome rage-inducing, grow-to-hate-your-friends coop.

jarosh

nsmb wii is one of my favorite mario games, nsmb ds is one of my least favorite ones. but you definitely get more fun out of the ds one if you go for all the coins and level exits. it's not a bad game, just a bit uninspired. nsmb wii's level design is infinitely superior and that makes all the difference.

that said, the euro only giana sisters ds is a lot more fun than nsmb ds (although the first half is also very easy, especially if you don't go for the red gems). if you like 2d platfomers, it's definitely worth an import.

Famassu said:
Difference is, even though NSMBWii is easy too, at least the level designs aren't boring, like they are in NSMB DS.

I'd say that's just about the only problem that keeps the game from being another awesome Mario platformer, but since level design is the most vital part of every platformer, it just ruins the rest of the effort

Shiggy

JaseC said:

It must be super super super extremely easy for you. I found NSMB Wii extremely difficult, and even for me the DS version was super easy.

JaseC

Famassu said:

I don't think I've played a funnier game than NSMBWii in co-op. The hilarity that perpetually ensues the moment you get in the way of another player (or vice-versa) is pure gold. The additional difficulty provided by having to manoeuvre around other players in addition to navigating the levels themselves is another reason why I much prefer the game in MP.

jarosh said:
nsmb wii is one of my favorite mario games, nsmb ds is one of my least favorite ones. but you definitely get more fun out of the ds one if you go for all the coins and level exits. it's not a bad game, just a bit uninspired. nsmb wii's level design is infinitely superior and that makes all the difference.

that said, the euro only giana sisters ds is a lot more fun than nsmb ds (although the first half is also very easy, especially if you don't go for the red gems). if you like 2d platfomers, it's definitely worth an import.

I intend to get this too. I remember reading positive impressions way back when.

Shiggy said:
It must be super super super extremely easy for you. I found NSMB Wii extremely difficult, and even for me the DS version was super easy.

That's disappointing, though far from deal-breaking.

Cheers all! :)

Chopper

Sorry, I'm going to ask again for a new page. How essential is DB Origins 2?

And how import friendly is Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!? I loved the previous Chibi Robo games, but don't want to bother with this import if I need to understand Japanese to progress...

Baron said:
Where have you found it dirt cheap now? Everywhere I see it, it's still $20.

Also, I just picked up a complete used copy of Lunar Knights in very nice condition for only $7. I also am thinking of picking up Legacy of Ys I&II...is it any good? The graphics look kind of terrible. Not a fan of the 3D look, wish they kept the sprites.

dude, 20 IS dirt cheap for what tthe game has to offer!

Top Bottom