• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

mollipen

Given that I'm about to head over to Japan for TGS, I'm trying to make sure I've got a good list of DS games to look for should I get time to hit some shops. Unfortunately, I'm probably forgetting about some of the great Japan-only titles that have come out in the past couple of years.

Here's my collection, including a list of my current wants. Any recommendations of other things I should be thinking about? Excluding text-heavy stuff like RPGs - I'm too lazy at the moment to bother getting back to being good at kanji reading. *heh*

shidoshi said:
Given that I'm about to head over to Japan for TGS, I'm trying to make sure I've got a good list of DS games to look for should I get time to hit some shops. Unfortunately, I'm probably forgetting about some of the great Japan-only titles that have come out in the past couple of years.
Loopop Cube is missing.

Santiako

shidoshi said:

Here's my collection, including a list of my current wants. Any recommendations of other things I should be thinking about? Excluding text-heavy stuff like RPGs - I'm too lazy at the moment to bother getting back to being good at kanji reading. *heh*

Find it, buy it and love it:

0zFoj.jpg

shidoshi said:

opens the list...
sees the first game... 999
checks the status... unopened

dude, WTF?

shidoshi said:

I loved Taiko no Tatsujin series on DS (I've got the first two entries); they're easy to understand (I can't read Japanese) and to enjoy, sort of rhythm'n'game with a bunch of j-pop tracks, classic music and video games tracks.
I'd buy Ni no Kuni just for the book and for the fact that it should be so cheap (20$ or so). A.S.H., it's a t-RPG so text-heavy, but you can find it for few money and it's pretty unique (graphic is made of pre-rendered FMV).
Kaiji Busters is a Monster Hunter rip-off, I found it very funny even if it's a bit trashy; there's also a deluxe versione out.
Two very niche games I'm interested in are Kaitou Rousseau, a graphical adventure where you have to literally draw the face of the protagonist in certain situation, and Afterschool Boy, very nostalgic game where you play as a boy in the 70s (I think) and you have to do some activities, similar to what happens in My Summer Holiday (Boku no Natsuyasumi) for Sony platforms.

I do hope to be useful!

mollipen

toythatkills said:
Loopop Cube is missing.

Anything I'd lose/gain going DS over PSP?

Santiako said:
Find it, buy it and love it:

There's a few games in that series that I know I'd love, but it's one of those things where so many games came out I can't keep track. So it's a case of either forgetting which ones to target, or not knowing which ones to.

walking fiend said:
opens the list...
sees the first game... 999
checks the status... unopened

dude, WTF?

You learn that when your job is to play video games, getting to them recreationally becomes harder and harder to do. Because of that, I've gotten to the point where I typically don't just buy games "I'll play someday", with the exception of the DS (the one collection I'll allow myself to have).

999 I picked up when Aksys was doing the "all the money goes to Japan" event.

shidoshi said:
You learn that when your job is to play video games, getting to them recreationally becomes harder and harder to do. Because of that, I've gotten to the point where I typically don't just buy games "I'll play someday", with the exception of the DS (the one collection I'll allow myself to have).

999 I picked up when Aksys was doing the "all the money goes to Japan" event.
I see, I am really sorry.

Anyway, you have a really nice collection though. Hope you get to play them all

shidoshi said:
Anything I'd lose/gain going DS over PSP?
There's an extra mode in the PSP version with fifty levels, but it's not something you'd really miss if it wasn't there. If you do have a choice, go PSP, but the DS version is still plenty of content

Pang: Magical Michael

4696.jpg

The best in the series, takes what was great about the most recent arcade version (Mighty! Pang, 2000) and adds all manner of new things into the mix.

leroidys

shidoshi said:

goemon game, tingle sequel off the top of my head.

Boney

Banned
Chopper said:
Sorry, I'm going to ask again for a new page. How essential is DB Origins 2?

And how import friendly is Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!? I loved the previous Chibi Robo games, but don't want to bother with this import if I need to understand Japanese to progress...
I don't think anybody has any idea.
I guess Takao might know about BD:O2, but I wouldn't trust his judgement regarding the DB franchise.

And I've never played a Chibi Robo game, but maybe youtube or gamefaqs or whatever might answer that.

Chopper said:
Sorry, I'm going to ask again for a new page. How essential is DB Origins 2?

And how import friendly is Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!? I loved the previous Chibi Robo games, but don't want to bother with this import if I need to understand Japanese to progress...

Pretty sure you need to know Japanese, if it's anything like the GC version.

shidoshi said:

Tingle 2, Chibi Robo 3, Goemon DS, Project Hacker (?), Mecha MG, Starfy 4 (though it's the worst of the series)

Boney

Banned
shidoshi said:

omg this list. Marry me!

*notices the glaring omission of Advance Wars DoR*

Let's just date.

So get that, you might consider Castlevania PoR, since it's much better than DoS, but OoE is even better and you haven't bothered with it. Skip Diabolical Box and go straight to Unwound Future. Trauma Center 2 is great as well. Although it is a bit text heavy, I get the feeling you'll really enjoy Contact. DK Jungle Climber is one of the best DK games as well, nice mechanic. There's the Kirby games, Canvas Curse specifically. There's M&L3 which is wordy, and Megaman Zero collection unless you have the GBA games. The rest of the Pheonix Wright trilogy, but that's pure text, but it's pheonix wright. And there's the DS Zelda's and Yoshi Island 2 I guess.

But that's pretty much the entire DS library. Good luck with it!

Chopper

shidoshi said:

I want to compile a document like this. Can I do that from an iPad? I think my collection rivals yours my friend... ;)

I'm just tucking into Rune Factory 3. It's actually my first Rune Factory, and my first Harvest Moon since I played the GBC version years ago. It seems like there's a boatload of content.

Does anybody have any tips for beginners? I mean, I get what's going on, but they don't seem to hold your hand in any way, and it's up to me how I progress. Which is fine, as long as there are no missables along the way. I remember there being some pretty obscure unlockables in previous Harvest Moon games, and wondered if I'll be able to achieve "everything" through working it all out on my own...?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
What do you guys recommend between,

Radiant Historia
Sands of Destruction
Dragon Quest IV (or whichever one is best out of the DS releases)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

?

I'm playing Chrono Trigger now and really enjoying it. I'm certain none of the above will live up to Chrono Trigger but anything close or along those lines would be lovely. Also, no random battles please otherwise it's a pass.

Edit: After watching a few gameplay videos on YouTube it looks like Radiant Historia is getting the nod. It's the only one of the four that really changes things up with the battle system/gameplay which is what I'm looking for.

Takao

Banned
Boney said:
I don't think anybody has any idea.
I guess Takao might know about BD:O2, but I wouldn't trust his judgement regarding the DB franchise.

And I've never played a Chibi Robo game, but maybe youtube or gamefaqs or whatever might answer that.

:/

I actually still haven't finished Origins. I've got caught up playing Ultimate Butouden (Japan only DBZ Fighter for DS) and just haven't had the will to go back to Origins.

My copy of the second game is actually still in the shrink wrap, lol.

B!TCH said:

Radiant Historia
Sands of Destruction

?

I'm playing Chrono Trigger now and really enjoying it. I'm certain none of the above will live up to Chrono Trigger but anything close or along those lines would be lovely. Also, no random battles please otherwise it's a pass.
All three Dragon Quest remakes (IV, V, and VI) are worth playing, but since they feature random enemy encounters I guess they're not for you. Radiant Historia is pretty good. I was a bit disappointed by the story, but some of the characters are memorable and the combat system is innovative and fun. I haven't played the other two titles that you mentioned.

YourMaster

B!TCH said:

Radiant Historia
Sands of Destruction

?

Edit: After watching a few gameplay videos on YouTube it looks like Radiant Historia is getting the nod. It's the only one of the four that really changes things up with the battle system/gameplay which is what I'm looking for.

If you've never played a dragon quest it will presently surprise you. I'd start with 4, as probably you'd move on to 5 and 6 after that and it adds to the charm to play them in order.

If you go for Radiant Historia first, come back for it later on. What's so great about a DQ cannot be captured in a short trailer.

B!TCH

archnemesis said:
All three Dragon Quest remakes (IV, V, and VI) are worth playing, but since they feature random enemy encounters I guess they're not for you. Radiant Historia is pretty good. I was a bit disappointed by the story, but some of the characters are memorable and the combat system is innovative and fun. I haven't played the other two titles that you mentioned.

Thanks, I checked out a few videos on Youtube and it looks like Radiant Historia is the one for me - I didn't mention this earlier but I also like that they don't use voice actors in the game; big plus for me. Looking forward to checking this one out.

What was disappointing about the story (if you can or don't mind explaining without spoilers)? Did it just not make sense or was it just boring?

YourMaster said:
If you've never played a dragon quest it will presently surprise you. I'd start with 4, as probably you'd move on to 5 and 6 after that and it adds to the charm to play them in order.

If you go for Radiant Historia first, come back for it later on. What's so great about a DQ cannot be captured in a short trailer.

But... random battles... :( All the DQ games are old school that way and stick to tradition, no?

B!TCH said:
What was disappointing about the story (if you can or don't mind explaining without spoilers)? Did it just not make sense or was it just boring?
You spend most of the game jumping between two timelines. In the beginning I was expecting plot twists and surprises, but it turned out to be a pretty typical by-the-books kind of story. There is also a bit too much backtracking through the same areas over and over again. It's still one of the best original RPGs for the DS, but I'm not as head over heels in love with it as other GAFers.

B!TCH

archnemesis said:
You spend most of the game jumping between two timelines. In the beginning I was expecting plot twists and surprises, but it turned out to be a pretty typical by-the-books kind of story. There is also a bit too much backtracking through the same areas over and over again. It's still one of the best original RPGs for the DS, but I'm not as head over heels in love with it as other GAFers.

Thanks. That's a good explanation and to save myself from any disappointment with the story, I'll temper my expectations accordingly.

Jintor

I'm also of the opinion the combat system in Radiant Historia was optimised by a dead monkey. That said, I like the story and the characters enough to keep playing.

Chopper

Am I right in thinking that Etrian Odyssey II is the hardest of the three to get your hands on? The prices on eBay seem a bit daft!

Noirulus

Hey guys, I recently picked up a DS and i'm looking for some recommendations for JRPGs that have good characters (and a little romance, perhaps?) I don't necessarily need a good story, but good characters is an absolute must.

I've been thinking of picking up DQ5. Any other games I would be interested in?

Wichu

Hey guys, I recently picked up a DS and i'm looking for some recommendations for JRPGs that have good characters (and a little romance, perhaps?) I don't necessarily need a good story, but good characters is an absolute must.

Have you looked at FF4, TWEWY, and Radiant Historia? And yes, get DQ5.

Cool, i'll get DQ5 for now and try the others down the line, then. :D

More recommendations are welcome!

Beyond what's already been mentioned, I recommend Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Solatorobo.

You might also be interested in adventure games such as 999, Ghost Trick, and Hotel Dusk/Last Window.

Ronian

Neo Member

Suikoden Tierkreis... Easy, simple gameplay but man, the characters and story rock!

Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story. Bowser in this game happens to be one of the most fun main characters I've seen in an JRPG, if not the best. Also another obligatory TWEWY vote.

Anyhow, seeing as this was just bumped: What's the consensus on Aliens Infestation? I like good Metroidvanias, Contra 4 (same developers?), but I haven't seen any of the Alien movies (don't kill me), so I'd probably miss all of the eventual fan service, etc...

Pikma

Banned
GAF, I need your help, Do you guys enjoyed Okamiden? is it any good? I'm not sure how well it was received, but I couldn't care less about scores, I'd rather have some GAF impressions. :3

backlot

GAF, I need your help, Do you guys enjoyed Okamiden? is it any good? I'm not sure how well it was received, but I couldn't care less about scores, I'd rather have some GAF impressions. :3

I liked it. If you were a fan of Okami then it's definitely worth getting.

backlot

Problem is, I haven't played Okami before, does that make a difference?

You might still like it but there are a lot of references to Okami in the game. The story will still probably make sense though. I'd definitely say play Okami first though if you can. It is the better game.

Pikma

Banned
You might still like it but there are a lot of references to Okami in the game. The story will still probably make sense though. I'd definitely say play Okami first though if you can. It is the better game.

Thanks, I'll consider ordering both Okami and Okamiden then. :)

Action & Action-Adventure

ALIENS: INFESTATION
Developer: WayForward
Publisher: Sega
US Release: Released

y7fwB.png
uGNok.png

mwDOv.png
lK38l.png

• watch a trailer

CHRONOS TWINS
Developer: EnjoyUp Games
Publisher: EnjoyUp Games
US Release: Released (DSiWare only, retail is PAL-exclusive)

KoOea.png
cQFNs.png

• watch a trailer

KIRBY MASS ATTACK
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo

gcuyA.png
KeyLi.png

Y3712.png
iLBAq.png

• read the GAF thread
• watch a trailer

PRO JUMPER! GUILTY GEAR TANGENT!?
Developer: Arc System Works
Publisher: Aksys Games
*DSi-exclusive*

36pPo.jpg
qQfhZ.jpg

1LHBp.jpg
11hSn.jpg

• watch a trailer

Platforming

AURA-AURA CLIMBER
Developer: NST
*DSi-exclusive*

9ngxp.png
GZcIX.png

• watch a video

THE LEGENDARY STARFY
Developer: TOSE

Dqsye.png
6ApgU.png

OtLk9.png
Fj9EN.png

• watch a trailer

Puzzle

BOING! DOCOMODAKE DS
Developer: Suzak
Publisher: Ignition

sXVSI.jpg
H1cjL.jpg

K5MHd.png
vYZTd.png

• watch a trailer
• watch another trailer

RABI LABY
Developer: SilverStar
Publisher: Agetec
*DSi-exclusive*

Wj92n.jpg
CLGYV.jpg

JMrv7.jpg
ubxkC.jpg

• watch a trailer

Also, Alice in Wonderland is not a platforming game by any stretch, I would put it on Adventure/Action or even Puzzle.

Some other games I liked that I don't know if to add:
yoshi touch & go - takes a while to see its greatness
wario master of disguise - it's good, but it sucks compared to any wario land
starfy 4 - worst in the series, not in english
custom robo - only one in the series I played so maybe it sucks in comparison to others
viewtiful joe ds - not as good as 1/2
mario 64 ds - new content, but most people hate the d-pad controls
a kappa's trail - confusing camera controls
mighty milky way - too expensive at $8
divergent shift - too expensive at $8
10 second run - nothing stellar, but it's $2...

Chopper

It's a very worthwhile addition to your game collection. I enjoyed it alot.

Allan Holdsworth said:
List of games
Of those, but I'd say Yoshi and Custom Robo are worthy of an entry. Great games.

Edit: And Viewtiful Joe.

kurahador

ughh...i hate Viewtiful Joe DS. The control scheme which force you to switch between touch screen & buttons back n forth are stupid. Made worse for me being a left-handed.

Well I did four more, I'm done for now. Maybe a mod can add them to the OP.

Action & Action Adventure

CUSTOM ROBO ARENA
Developer: Noise

7Omf9.jpg
emBEj.jpg

WmdSR.jpg
c2G1z.jpg

• watch a video

YOSHI TOUCH & GO
Developer: EAD