• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

ghibli99

I feel the same way. The DSi XL is very much worth the purchase even if you own a 3DS, because it's by far the best way to look at DS games. I got one a few days after buying my 3DS XL, and I have been playing it a lot more. Especially in terms of RPGs, the DS library is a beast and well, the genre hasn't really kicked off yet on 3DS.
Agreed. I thought about selling my DSi XL when the 3DS XL came out, but it's the only way to play DS games if you want them displayed at full size. The scaler on the 3DS completely blows. 1:1 on the 3DS XL, though, is pretty gorgeous. Shantae:RR looks amazing, IMO.

Izick

About to start playing Pokemon: Black. My first real DS game. Is the Pokemon games still good as a multi tasker? ie. playing them while watching the game or something?

About to start playing Pokemon: Black. My first real DS game. Is the Pokemon games still good as a multi tasker? ie. playing them while watching the game or something?

Absolutely. A lot of my time with them is with something on the TV or while I'm just browsing stuff on the internet. They're great multitasking games.

Lemming

hey, everyone!
So with the DS I discovered I really enjoyed these kind of light-puzzles / story telling games like 999, Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney series
I´ve read about Hotel Dusk and Ever17. Any other hidden gems you guys would recommend?

Pikma

Banned
hey, everyone!
So with the DS I discovered I really enjoyed these kind of light-puzzles / story telling games like 999, Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney series
I´ve read about Hotel Dusk and Ever17. Any other hidden gems you guys would recommend?

Not hidden but, since you didn't mention it, Proffessor Layton, any of them. :)

Kerub

Banned
I hate when people bump this thread, because everytime I read it I find several games that I need to order. This time it's Geometry Wars and Sonic Rush. :)

Chopper

I hate when people bump this thread, because everytime I read it I find several games that I need to order. This time it's Geometry Wars and Sonic Rush. :)
Ha ha. I know what you mean. This time I was furiously hunting for this DS port of Ever 17 that I'd never heard of. Alas, it's not really real.

Marz

Holy crap its going to take me years to go through this library 0_o I still really need to track down a copy of infinite space.

Didn't see Aliens Infestation in the OP but I recommend it as its a fantastic metroidvania.

Yeah, Infinite Space is really good. It's one of my favorite RPGs for the system. For a while it was available for next to nothing, but then it seems like it disappeared from the market.

I decided today to finally begin rebuilding my epic DS collection. I had to liquidate it last winter to pay for car repairs, and while my 3ds library has kept me well-entertained, the pit in my heart has been too much to bear.

Started by picking up Kirby: Mass Attack off Amazon for $11.93. Didn't finish it before I had to sell it, so hopefully it'll live up to its prerelease hype.

JulianImp

I had my dad pick up a few DS games I wanted when he came over to visit, and here're my thoughts about them:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - It's an amazing game that showed me a genere I was completely oblivious to. I have beaten all the campaign levels except for the last one, which is ridiculously hard compared to the rest (yes, even Waylon Flies Again, IMO). I haven't tried playing online yet but I like how the game lets you play with several humans on the same console (and that works like a charm since it's turn-based). I guess I might be pickung up other entries in the franchise later, or perhaps I could take a peek at Fire Emblem.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - A fun game that reminded me how well the mechanics were built around the GBA's extremely limited controller. I've always found action commands a lot better than fixed combat in most RPGs, the story is okay and the graphics are gorgeous (I love how much personality they gave Luigi in most cutscenes). I've currently stopped playing right before the final boss, but so far it has been fun, if a bit linear and with uninteresting backtracking when you want to find extra stuff.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - I've loved playing through it twice (a Shanoa run and another one with the unlockable character). I thought it'd be shorter since most areas are somewhat short and linear, but the final stretch had an amazingly long and varied level. Backtracking was never boring since most often you'd have new glyphs to clear a path (I wonder what were they thinking when they came up with the Nintesco glyph, though), and most areas were interesting (except for some palette-swapped ones)

Kirby: Canvas Curse - It's stylus-centric mechanics were great, although I'm still halfway through the game. Medal collecting might be a bit of a pain, but the rewards system is quite fun and you might be forced to play the game in interesting ways to fullfill the challenge criteria. I'm a bit puzzled as to how few games there have been that used the stylus as more than D-pad substitute; there were certainly a few released near the DS's launch (like Pac-Pix, Yoshi's Touch & Go and Canvas Curse), but I don't think there've been any relevant ones later on the console's lifecycle.

I couldn't get my hands on some less mainstream games then, but I guess there's always time to pick them up. I'll probably be purchasing a WiiU and/or a 3DS soon, so I might pick up less DS games next time.

Marz

The DS Fire Emblem is actually pretty mediocre. Its not exactly terrible but it one of the more criticized games in the series.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Thinking about picking up KH Re:coded since I'm on a bit of a KH kick. Is it worth it? I'm going to guess it's probably better than 358/2 Days as that game is garbage.

Ultratech

Thinking about picking up KH Re:coded since I'm on a bit of a KH kick. Is it worth it? I'm going to guess it's probably better than 358/2 Days as that game is garbage.

It's got a battle system similar to Birth By Sleep, so it's better by default.

Other than that though, it feels like a weird retread of the first game for a good chunk.

I'd say if you want to play it, go get it!

Other than that though, it feels like a weird retread of the first game for a good chunk.

I'm also on a KH kick. I'm waiting for a delivery from Amazon for Birth By Sleep which should come any minute now.

If I had to choose between Re:coded and 358/2 Days, which do you think is the better choice? Or should I just skip them and get Dream Drop Distance eventually?

I've only played KH1 and am a bit lost on what games to get to catch up since there's a bunch.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm also on a KH kick. I'm waiting for a delivery from Amazon for Birth By Sleep which should come any minute now.

If I had to choose between Re:coded and 358/2 Days, which do you think is the better choice? Or should I just skip them and get Dream Drop Distance eventually?

I've only played KH1 and am a bit lost on what games to get to catch up since there's a bunch.

Ohhh you're playing BbS for the first time? Sooooo good. I just started DDD.

Okay thanks. It'll probably be an impulse buy at some point if I see it in a store.

Bumping to recommend a game I just came across which few people seem to know about. It's so obscure it doesn't even have a Mobygames entry.

emily-the-strange-strangerous-pack-shot-300x277.jpg

I'd never heard of this character before, but Emily the Strange is a popular alternative skateboarding/comics character who's snarky, independent, and kind of an outcast. The game is basically a minigame collection ala Professor Layton, where you guide Emily through locations and have to solve puzzles to eventually find your four cats. What drew me in was the stark, stylized art style. Emily's world is almost entirely black and white with splashes of red, though other areas open up other colors.

EmilyIntro.gif

Emily01Skateboard.gif

emily3_18101.jpg

It's not the most polished game; some puzzles are poorly designed and the UI is kind of clunky. But the graphics and animation draw you in and Emily's a witty character. It was $5 at Gamestop (cart only, no box or manual) so if you can find it I'd recommend it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thank you guys for keeping this thread alive. I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Lots of incredible looking DS games I never knew about. Holy smokes, good shit!

Just picked up a DSXL and was looking for some nice DS games to play and had to find this thread, after a bit of searching I finally found it.

Such a masterpiece.

One question, is there anymore recommendations for Castlevania type games? They don't need to be Metroidvania's, but rather 2d action without anthropomorphic mascots on a more mature level.

Linkenski

Banned
Hotel Dusk is one of my favorite videogame stories ever told. You HAVE to play it if you're one of those who like good stories in games. The game likes to indulge you with irrelevant small-talk especially in the beginning but in the end you'll appreciate it because it makes the characters feel so real.

It's extraordinary and doesn't fall into trappings or cliches of japanese narrative. The writing from NOA's translation is insanely good, I've never seen anything like it before!

Tenrius

Just picked up a DSXL and was looking for some nice DS games to play and had to find this thread, after a bit of searching I finally found it.

Such a masterpiece.

One question, is there anymore recommendations for Castlevania type games? They don't need to be Metroidvania's, but rather 2d action without anthropomorphic mascots on a more mature level.

Off the top of my head, Thor: God of Thunder is a fairly decent game. Nothing too fancy, but a nice 2D action game.

Verelios

Hotel Dusk is one of my favorite videogame stories ever told. You HAVE to play it if you're one of those who like good stories in games. The game likes to indulge you with irrelevant small-talk especially in the beginning but in the end you'll appreciate it because it makes the characters feel so real.

It's extraordinary and doesn't fall into the trappings or cliches of japanese narrative. The writing from NOA's translation is insanely good, I've never seen anything like it before!
I agree, anyone who loves novel style games like Phoenix Wright, needs to check this game out. And what's more, it's sequel last window secret of cape west, is equally entertaining. Although it was only published in Europe, since its a Ds game its easily importable.

It's extraordinary and doesn't fall into trappings or cliches of japanese narrative. The writing from NOA's translation is insanely good, I've never seen anything like it before!

All of my yes to this post. Easily one of my favourite DS games and the atmosphere was amazing. I miss Cing. :( It's games like these that made the DS special to me.

leroidys

Such a masterpiece.

There's always the mega man games. Zero collection (absolute must play if you didn't catch them on GBA), ZX, and ZX Advent.

Risible

I feel the same way. The DSi XL is very much worth the purchase even if you own a 3DS, because it's by far the best way to look at DS games. I got one a few days after buying my 3DS XL, and I have been playing it a lot more. Especially in terms of RPGs, the DS library is a beast and well, the genre hasn't really kicked off yet on 3DS.

Agreed. A few years back Radio Shack was blowing them out at a ridiculous price and I picked an extra one just to have a spare, game machine of the forever.

Ettie

This thread is awesome. Gotta be a contender for longest (# of titles) recommendation thread on GAF. Very glad I kept my DS; I had no idea I missed so many good games.

AdanVC

This thread is full of magic! It would come very handy since I literally skipped the entire DS era so It's time to catch up with all the awesome games this handheld left us.

Zalman

How big is the difference between playing DS games on a DSi XL and a 3DS XL? I currently only have the latter but I'm currently considering a DSi XL if it's worth it.

How big is the difference between playing DS games on a DSi XL and a 3DS XL? I currently only have the latter but I'm currently considering a DSi XL if it's worth it.

DS games look like shit in the scaling mode of the 3DS. The 1-for-1 mode in the XL is about the size of a DS Lite screen.

Arthos

Hey! So I'm thinking of getting one of the Digimon World DS games but don't really know which one is worth getting. Any input on any of the games? They seem like fun.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
DS games look like shit in the scaling mode of the 3DS. The 1-for-1 mode in the XL is about the size of a DS Lite screen.

Some games are much worse than others, but I agree on the whole they do look pretty bad :(

ugh i really wish Dragon Quest V : Hand Of The Heavenly Bride wasn't so expensive here in the UK it's like £50 on amazon and £40 on ebay

really wanna play it because it looks sooo good! :(

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Amazing thread for sure, but sucks that the pictures no longer work :( Was an even better thread a few years ago.

Letep

Big bump here, because I didn't feel a new thread was necessary.

Big DS fan. Love collecting systems. I'm looking at this one right now:

http://gizmodo.com/359030/limited-e...is-monochrome-smooth-sophisticated-japan-only

This website seems to have it for sale?!

http://www.homebuy365.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite--Japanese--p-12626.html

Has anyone bought from this site? It looks a little sketchy.

Also ,anyone know where one of these are for sale outside of there?

Thank you!

Also, I've been enjoying The Dark Spire again lately. GREAT DS game.

Top Bottom