• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was there backlash for DmC Dante? He was just as good.

Raziel

comics-devil-extralife-Devil-May-Cry-312043.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't really care about the design that much, but his actual character was pretty awful. Not to say that original Dante is a great character either, but it's at least self aware and super goofy and over the top. Besides the opening cutscene with the pizza covering his dick or whatever, I don't remember thinking any cutscene or dialogue seemed like it was self aware enough to realize how stupid it was, and I just played through Definitive Edition two weeks ago. It especially became apparent in that "Fuck you!" scene that the game's writing wasn't anywhere near as clever as it thought it was. It was all pretty much the embodiment of tryhard edgy.

That being said I really don't care either way because the game was incredibly fun, and it's a damn shame a sequel apparently isn't happening, goofy teenage angst be damned.
The amount of people who take that Succubus scene, (and many others), at face value yet complaining that the game had no sense of self awareness saddens me.

I legit did a double take when I found out that Delsin was 24 during Second Son.

Get a job, dude. You dress like you're in high school.
Surprisingly he's not that far off....he's like the perfect stereotype of the kind of immature dude who goes around "tagging" shit.

Mizerman

Because people hate change.

When someone goes for the "people hate change" routine to justify themselves, it usually rings hollow. As a matter of fact, going with the whole change = instant quality is not a good leg to stand on. If people didn't like the design, it's not because "people hate change", it's because the design or character didn't appeal to them.

Going for the "people hate change" thing is disingenuous at best.

Burning4

Neo Member
So much of the hate that game gets is because of how it was revealed and how the relationship between developer and consumer did nothing but sour over the time leading up to release. There was a condescending tone the developers always took with the series when discussing it in interviews. At one point the game director said basically said that the previous games were garbage that people who liked them were idiots. Then there was the response to the white hair shit. It was blown out of proportion, but still. They made a point to say that his original hair was anime bullshit and not realistic. Even to go as far as to put a jab at people who didn't like that change in the game. Normally, this would be considered playful, but the antagonism built up between the developer and the fan base had made this impossible to not see it as a "slap in the face." Only for them to end up using white hair Dante anyway by the end of DmC.

Warxard

Banned
Bayonetta, Raiden, Gene, Gideon, Optimus Prime

I'll give you Bayonetta. Gene is an awful one-note character that has no development other than being an avatar to kick ass. Optimus Prime doesn't really count either.

Hotsuma, Hibana, Hayabusa, Travis, Jack Cayman are all better characters .

Fuck, even Yaiba is better than Gene

brinstar

I don't see why the backlash is surprising. They took a Japanese-styled character and handed him to a western dev and gave him a total makeover for that style. So obviously fans of the original aesthetic are going to be turned off while people more in tune with that type of thing are gonna be into it. (And of course there's people who are into both or up for anything.)

It was a clusterfuck of particularly tone-deaf publisher, developer, and industry-wide decisions and ideals that started a confused, vociferous, and strangely unable to remember jack shit fight that (luckily for the people making this) managed to sell copies of the game thru sheer con-TROV-ersy.

A lot of people like old Dante because they were young (kids/teens) when they played the original game. Now they're grown up. It's nostalgia mixed with a general dislike of change.

Truth is old Dante isn't any better.

Astral Dog

Eh, the first presentation was a complete mess and a total spit to the face to classic DMC fans, then they changed him alot , but it comes off as trying to pander to old fans and finding a new audience, DmC Dante is a bit boring imo,

I dont agree he is "just as good" but whatever.

hqdefault.jpg

thats the first screenshoot of DmC Dante that appears :O

Well, correct. Nothing in that video you posted is 'trying to be edgy', it's just bad dialogue.

'Trying to be edgy' would be having your character greet a girl by opening his trailer door with his cock in her face.
'Trying to be edgy' would be having your character stub cigarettes out on demons heads.
'Trying to be edgy' would be having your character allude to having been raped by demons when she was growing up.
'Trying to be edgy' would be having your character tell the person fucking them that they are his bitch.
'Trying to be edgy' would be having your character shoot a pregnant woman in her womb.

Alfredo

Because if there wasn't backlash, he would have looked like fucking this:

2HiopRx.jpg

The final design of DmC Dante was much improved. The backlash was worth it.

This so much. OLD NEW Dante was awful.

The complaining also lead to the Definitive Edition, aka "Apology Edition."

Dahbomb

Man I wish more people would buy and play DmC DE than having meta conversations about DmC, Dante and the DMC fanbase.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
A lot of people like old Dante because they were young (kids/teens) when they played the original game. Now they're grown up. It's nostalgia mixed with a general dislike of change.

I dunno I think he is a fun goofball in similar vein to Bayonetta. I didn't really vibe with the new Dante at all.

Man I wish more people would buy and play DmC DE than having meta conversations about DmC, Dante and the DMC fanbase.

Played it quite a few times! DmC DE is great and if you love action games you should get it and play with Turbo and Hardcore mode on.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, i really disagree. DMC3 dante was just a cool badass and unapolagetically Japanese in his over the top nature. He was just a much more exaggerated DMC 1 Dante who was originally just a dude with an attitude against his enemies.

In DmC he was some sort of strange check list of edgy western tropes. It was embarrassing, and written too hard to be "a rebel" and "all the stuff the kids talk about with sex and drugs! and violence! and THE MAN"

Delsin Rowe from Infamus gave me a similar level of annoyance

Demoskinos

People still bringing up the "Fuck You" scene as some indictment of the games writing. Like come on. That is not representative of Dante through the rest of the game nor is it in itself a bad scene.

I'll give you Bayonetta. Gene is an awful one-note character that has no development other than being an avatar to kick ass. Optimus Prime doesn't really count either.

Hotsuma, Hibana, Hayabusa, Travis, Jack Cayman are all better characters .

Fuck, even Yaiba is better than Gene

Why doesn't Optimus Prime count

Overside

Banned
Probably had a lot to do with the dev team feeling they needed to shit talk the original for validation...

Combined with the actual gameplay being shit in comparison when it realeased.

Korigama

Bayonetta, Raiden, Gene, Gideon, Optimus Prime
If we're going by basis of character, then Raiden is the only one of them that really has much in the way of any actual depth. Bayonetta and Gene pretty much overlap with Dante in terms of their appeal and how their stories present them, and I consider neither to be any better or worse than him. I don't count Sam Gideon because Vanquish is a TPS and not a character-action game, but I still like him. Pretty sure there's not much more to Optimus Prime beyond just being cool, either.
Kratos man. What's better than a roid-raging asshole going on a warpath?

Or Ryu Hyabusa. The guy with no personality.
I still remember what happened when Team Ninja tried to make Ryu more of a character with NG III's story...big mistake that was.

Mizerman

Or I simply prefer classic Dante. It will always be classic Dante > reboot Dante to me.

I find old Dante better than his reboot counterpart.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
People still bringing up the "Fuck You" scene as some indictment of the games writing. Like come on. That is not representative of Dante through the rest of the game nor is it in itself a bad scene.
If anything it shows that they don't understand writing themselves. Because they're taking a scene that most definitely isn't taking itself seriously as a completely straight faced attempt at being edgy when it's the opposite.

Hopeford

Also no joke, one reason I dislike new Dante is the voice acting. Kinda feels like his voice actor takes things a bit too seriously during very silly scenes where I'd prefer he hammed it up a shit ton. I think his Spanish voice (same one from the Donte exterminador de demonios video ) adds a lot of charm to the character because his voice actor sounds like he's having so much fun with it. Like, I know it sounds like I'm joking but I seriously enjoy the character a lot more with his Spanish voice.

Cleve

The original reboot character had a different design than the one they put in the game. Still, anyone that calls the new Dante a "try-hard wannabe club guy with an emo haircut" that's exactly what a lot of people said about the original Dante when he debuted with his red leather trench coat, 50 buckles, black leather boots, and floppy white hair covering his eyes.

Dante has always been a douche.

eh I feel like I should rate these Dante's on a more varied scale:

Personality: DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3 > DmC > DMC2
Design: DMC2 > DMC1 > DMC 4 > DmC > DMC3
Devil Arms/Guns: DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1 > DmC >>> DMC2
Actually playing as them: DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC1 > DmC >>>>>>>>>DMC2

Though DMC2 Dante's design with DMC1 Dante's personality in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne might actually be the best Dante of all.

If anything it shows that they don't understand writing themselves. Because they're taking a scene that most definitely isn't taking itself seriously as a completely straight faced attempt at being edgy when it's the opposite.

Would you prefer people bring up the fact that a pregnant woman gets shot in order to kill the unborn child? And then they proceed to shoot her in the head, too?

AJ_Wings

Y'know what, I thought New Dante was a pretty fun character. I thought I was gonna dislike him when I first saw his design but after playing DmC, he grew on me.

The problem is that almost everybody else is fucking awful in that game, especially Vergil. Oh god, what have they done to Vergil...

It's like claiming old Dante ran around moaning that he'll fill your dark soul with light all the time.

Zeta Oni

Blaming a large part of your audience for not understanding a scene in media of any kind is a BS excuse.

It is 100% the responsibility of the creators to get that message across, and the fact that so many people have that issue with that particular scene is a failure on ninja theory's part, not the audience.

Dahbomb

I don't personally care about Dante in DmC too much but he was a very forgettable protagonist.

The media blew the whole "F U" personality of Dante out of the water when in the game he isn't like that for the majority of the game. He's just kinda there, nothing really special or charismatic about him.

He's not as bad as some people make it out to be because a lot of people are stuck in that pre-release phase of DmC where all dialogues starring Dante included profanity. But he's not particularly interesting, charming or memorable at the end of the day. And he's the best character in the game because every other character in the game was awful especially Kat and Vergil.

DMC fans have been dealing with change with every single game including the Dante design. The point about change is a bad one when related to the series.

I don't think that scene was an attempt at being edgy. It was definately trying to be funny, it just wasn't.

Haunted

Without talking about the respective quality of the games, the new Dante is probably the best young Dante design in the series.

I do like Uncle Dante as well.

Am I in the dang twilight zone where the heck did all these new dante fans come from?
As more and more people got around to actually play the game and see the character and his arc throughout, he seems to have gotten much more accepted and appreciated compared to the pre-release reactions among the hardcore fanbase.

edit: I admit, was shocked and appalled during the initial announcement as well

Top Bottom