• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why XBOX lost the war - according to Laura Fryer

Makes sense, that it comes down to some key figures being replaced and them just being not the right people, than a rippleeffect from top to bottom which is still not repaired. Especially since adding already a big publisher, that possibly grinds some gears with another culture and soon another even bigger one, while also adding smaller studios as well. That is hardly easy and I can imagine also that big daddy will pay for anything mentality is dangerous for any improvement too.
They definitely needed games, but too much too fast, seemingly did not work, yet, and with adding ABK and Halo, Redfall, Starfield, Forza getting flack to various degrees it seems not be cleared anytime soon. Their best games seem to have been made externally, Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim, but only the latter is exclusive, so true MS games still barely exist beyond the old 360 Gears, Halo, Forza Trinity, with Halo and Gears being falling stars for some time already and with current Forza now for the first time also in some trouble, it does not look great and showing any upwards trend.
I don't really like and believe Phil, he may or may not be a good person, and it may just be the other manager minions below him not doing what is best for MS's success, but after 10 years he did not really improve MS much and trusting him with billions in those last years seems like a risky very expensive band aid solution if something else needs to be fixed first before going on that buying spree.

M&A is notoriously difficult, but now you're doing M&A and changing the new company's business model and not just in a way that augments the first.

Adding these studios into GamePass is REALLY dangerous. Cutting them off from releasing games on PS5 is REALLY dangerous. The losses in revenue and increase in operating costs can easily blow up in Microsoft's face, but not just their faces, but thousands of people who help make this industry function.

Microsoft didn't come into Xbox with established gaming roots, despite what people say about the games they made on PC. They had to rely on external deals and buying Bungie and Rare. Sony wasn't too dissimilar. It wasn't until the early 2000s that Sony started taking first party development more seriously when they bought Naughty Dog, Eidetic, Guerrilla Games, Zipper Interactive, Incognito, BigBig, and Evolution Studios... A lot of that didn't pan out and these were easier integrations.

lol How? PC literally does everything console does, does it even better.
And so much more.
With like ps5 you're limited to whatever sony allows for a controller. No limits on pc. That's not even the beginning.

Compared to console, Super Saiyan is PC's base power.
Honestly I agree. Switched from PlayStation to PC. Ultimate freedom.

For example you can turn of "depth of field" effect on practically any game.

Mel Gibson Freedom GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
M&A is notoriously difficult, but now you're doing M&A and changing the new company's business model and not just in a way that augments the first.

Adding these studios into GamePass is REALLY dangerous. Cutting them off from releasing games on PS5 is REALLY dangerous. The losses in revenue and increase in operating costs can easily blow up in Microsoft's face, but not just their faces, but thousands of people who help make this industry function.

Microsoft didn't come into Xbox with established gaming roots, despite what people say about the games they made on PC. They had to rely on external deals and buying Bungie and Rare. Sony wasn't too dissimilar. It wasn't until the early 2000s that Sony started taking first party development more seriously when they bought Naughty Dog, Eidetic, Guerrilla Games, Zipper Interactive, Incognito, BigBig, and Evolution Studios... A lot of that didn't pan out and these were easier integrations.

I think a big red flag already popped up with Zenimax. Microsoft took a company that was financially struggling, bought them, and left them to their own devices. Why? Why in the world would you do that? It wasn't just bad luck that put them there. It should have been clear that the company needed some kind of restructuring or support. All they did was tell Zenimax to kill PS5 versions of new games. Not look at what Arkane Austin was doing with Redfall and taking note of not only its poor state, but the unhappiness of that team being forced to work on it. What else did they ignore? You even see in those e-mails with Pete Hines just the level of miscommunication between higher level executives.

Then you get those stories about Undead Labs and how unhappy many devs were shortly after the acquisition. They supposedly lost a fair bit of senior talent in the process. Activision is just such a monstrously larger beast with its own problems. Microsoft has already fumbled with small studios and publishers. No one should have any confidence in their ability to steer that behemoth of a ship.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Isn't the Series consoles tracking begins X1? How does that equate to "selling well"?
Where the hell did you took that from?! The Series consoles were launched in 2020, basically alongside the PS5.

Both of them are selling good because of the basic of economics: profit. If they're profiting, even if is like a penny, they're doing good. Also, while the One sold less than 60 million, they got the money

And that's why you can't say that they lost the "war". You can't loose when you're growing. That's stupid. And even if you think just a little on this "war", Sony didn't win too, it's Nintendo since ever just because they're way small and their profit is always on the roof

The concept of console wars was a 90's thing. The marketing made at the right time. Doesn't really work now, specially when a lot of people nowadays have more than one machine at home

It's pretty obvious that Xbox as a whole just suffers from grass mismanagement, they burn all this money and haven't really managed to facilite the formation of an enviorment at a studio for them to produce AAA titles like Insomniac and Naughty do. The only reason has to be mismanagment.
I agree. P3 probably getting high on his own supply, rather than focusing on what really matters.

SHA

You can probably add:

- Broken feedback loops
- Uncreative corporate culture
- Whoever spearheaded the shift from the standard gamer audience to the casual audience (Kinect) in about 2009 or 2010 (I can't recall who this was).
- Matt Booty
- Xbox fans failing to hold MS accountable
- Whoever hired Don Mattrick, thinking it was a good idea
- Lack of accountability within the division due to the deep pockets of MS, shielding them from normal consequences

I've seen all of those mentioned in the thread. I think they all have merit (except Matt Booty, who I don't think has been in his position long enough to blame).
Then how most 9 years olds came to the same conclusion and decide to go with the blue box? these are just kids.

SHA

You have to only look at who they promoted. The OG guys from the playstation teams in the 90s were all promoted to either CEO of Playstation or CEO of their respective countries. Thats part of what shes talking about. Instead of promoting her, they brought in someone new. I had a similar thing happen at my work. We got a new CEO who brought in all his buddies and gave made VPs. meanwhile everyone was left holding their dicks, their access to vp and cabinet positions now completely blocked off by people who didnt have anything to do with building the company.

Parents went out and bought the xbox 360 with kinect. Xbox outsold the playstation every single month after the kinect came out in 2011. for a good 3 years straight. I am not buying this excuse that playstation is the only thing parents think of. the average age of gamer is around 39 years last i checked, its millenials who grew up gaming on nintendo, playstation and xbox who are choosing to buy one console over the other.

Playstation itself received a culture shock after the PS3. they were outed as aloof and dismissive of developers with their stupid cell design and documentation. As well as out of touch with their consumer with a $599 console with a bluray player no one wanted. But they pivoted immediately and spent the entire gen developing studios, developing their IPs, developing their relationships with gamers and other third party developers instead of just buying them outright.

Sony didnt just buy GG, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule that gen. They fostered them and helped them get to SSM and ND level within a generation. MS's internal studios like Rare, 343, Coalition Games and Initiative are not even close to getting to that level. David Jaffe was saying how Shu Yoshida would visit studios to check on games and everyone would shit their pants if the game wasnt up to snuff. Shu didnt like Demon Souls and let From walk. He realized his mistake and rehired myazaki and From to make bloodborne then remade demon souls 10 years later. Thats the accountability Laura is talking about. Bosses willing to understand that they got it wrong. Andrew House went and got kojima a day after he got fired from konami. Then helped fun his new studio from scratch. Another OG playstation guy who spoke Japanese and was ingrained in OG playstation culture. Put in charge just at the right time to snatch Kojima. Would that have happened if it was some random exec from zynga or EA? probably not. Lets see where Kamiya leaves and if MS is smart enough to sign him and help him build a new studio.

I do agree that sony is shying away from that and its mostly because all those OG guys are gone or replaced. Proving her point.
They pushed single player games to a whole new level, it's part of who they are, ms vision is about online multi-player games, the online on itself is a controversial topic, doesn't please many, and definitely much harder than working on single player games, and the lifespan for online players is much shorter than single player players, the short answer for all what ms doing is expensive.

Humdinger

What you said isn't in kids mind to decide to buy a PlayStation console, they really don't have any clue of most what the threads talking about and still decide to buy a Playstation console.

Ok? So? I don't get what that has to do with what I said, or what I was responding to. The guy asked why Xbox is having trouble in the market. He gave half a dozen possible culprits and asked for additional ideas. I provided some additional possible causes. Who cares whether 9 year olds understand it?

Last edited:

That's one thing i think may not work for Microsoft.

It's really clear at this point Gamepass subscriptions aren't going the way MS expected when they launched it like 6 or 7 years ago. That's why they keep missing company's expectations every year.

If they think somehow cutting Sony from certain IPs that it's going to make people turn to Xbox...i really don't see it. If it hasn't happened so far, why would it happen with Activision? Especially now that COD is not leaving Sony. It's not like something like Crash Bandicoot 5 could change anything considering how bad the 4th one did.

Their gaming releases from Bethesda were Deathloop, Ghostwire, Red Fall and Starfield. The first 3 did nothing. Starfield went from a surefire GOTY winner to a game with an 83 on Metacritic and a 7/10 Steam score. Their first few years with Besthesda were mid at best.

Meanwhile a studio (key word being studio, not publisher) like Insomniac, that costed Sony like $300M has released since their acquisition Miles Morales, a remaster of the first Spider-Man game for PS5, a Ratchet & Clank game, are about to release Spider-Man 2 and are working on a Wolverine game to release in 2024 / 2025. How is it that a single studio is making more noise with their releases than an entire ass publisher like Bethesda?

MS have the money...but they simply lack the vision and long term plans for anything they do.

The war is just starting. She has no idea what she is talking about.
Just starting? Xbox released their first console in 2002. Gamepass exists since 2017. What is "just starting" exactly?

Not sure about this but i think i read this sometime ago that PS5 has a bigger gap from Xbox Series than PS4 had from Xbox One at this stage last gen...and this is with a console on sale for 300$ that's usually sold at a discount!

Hell even something like PS5 cloud streaming is about to have a 4k streaming option...something that XCloud was supposed to have god knows how long ago.

I fail to see what's "just starting"? I feel i read this every single generation.

Last edited:

Sanepar

It's really clear at this point Gamepass subscriptions aren't going the way MS expected when they launched it like 6 or 7 years ago. That's why they keep missing company's expectations every year.

If they think somehow cutting Sony from certain IPs that it's going to make people turn to Xbox...i really don't see it. If it hasn't happened so far, why would it happen with Activision? Especially now that COD is not leaving Sony. It's not like something like Crash Bandicoot 5 could change anything considering how bad the 4th one did.

Their gaming releases from Bethesda were Deathloop, Ghostwire, Red Fall and Starfield. The first 3 did nothing. Starfield went from a surefire GOTY winner to a game with an 83 on Metacritic and a 7/10 Steam score. Their first few years with Besthesda were mid at best.

Meanwhile a studio (key word being studio, not publisher) like Insomniac, that costed Sony like $300M has released since their acquisition Miles Morales, a remaster of the first Spider-Man game for PS5, a Ratchet & Clank game, are about to release Spider-Man 2 and are working on a Wolverine game to release in 2024 / 2025. How is it that a single studio is making more noise with their releases than an entire ass publisher like Bethesda?

MS have the money...but they simply lack the vision and long term plans for anything they do.

Just starting? Xbox released their first console in 2002. Gamepass exists since 2017. What is "just starting" exactly?

Not sure about this but i think i read this sometime ago that PS5 has a bigger gap from Xbox Series than PS4 had from Xbox One at this stage last gen...and this is with a console on sale for 300$ that's usually sold at a discount!

Hell even something like PS5 cloud streaming is about to have a 4k streaming option...something that XCloud was supposed to have god knows how long ago.

I fail to see what's "just starting"? I feel i read this every single generation.
But the money is flowing now for Xbox from MS. They will not stop on Activision. I bet they have new targets and I'm not talking about studios. They will get more publishers. It is peanuts for them. Without third party content ps will not last long. Sony is not Nintendo and it is worse releasing 1-2 big aaa per year.

I think no one is naive to believe regulators will stop them.

Mowcno

But the money is flowing now for Xbox from MS. They will not stop on Activision. I bet they have new targets and I'm not talking about studios. They will get more publishers. It is peanuts for them. Without third party content ps will not last long. Sony is not Nintendo and it is worse releasing 1-2 big aaa per year.

I think no one is naive to believe regulators will stop them.
It will flow even more once they start publishing games on PlayStation consoles.

The console war is over. MS future is in software and services and when they are no longer trying to push their hardware they have zero reason to not release on PlayStation anymore.

Hell for the next 10 years their biggest game is obligated to be on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Sanepar

It will flow even more once they start publishing games on PlayStation consoles.

The console war is over. MS future is in software and services and when they are no longer trying to push their hardware they have zero reason to not release on PlayStation anymore.

Hell for the next 10 years their biggest game is obligated to be on PlayStation.
If this was true. Starfield would be on PS. Besides Cod they don't pretend to release anything from activision on PS. We don't even know if Diablo 4 expansions will be on PS.

The problem is that they have an aim for the fences mentality.

Insomniac was closer to 200 million than 300 million (It was 229 million).

Microsoft doesn't have the patience to build a relationship with a studio like Insomniac and at this point, they recognize they don't have the time.
And the model doesn't attract the best and the brightest, it just doesn't.

They have a huge opportunity with Indiana Jones, but at this point, I think that IP is underwater. I think I may have recalled they are working on a Disney IP so maybe something Marvel or Star Wars. That can attract talent.

There comes a time when you're releasing TOO many games and you're actually competing with yourself... That works for a subscription model, it doesn't work when you're publishing titles on a platform.

We are going to see layoffs and sell-offs. Mark my words.

Darsxx82

COD was going to be multi-platform in every way. In fact it was the best option for MS to secure profits while now being able to use COD marketing to its advantage.
As we could also think that MS can now use the ~2B annual profits that AbK generates to finance, increase the budget of current projects or even buy new exclusive content.

Then, Activision is not just COD, there are many other franchises that could appear in the Xbox console catalog, even exclusively.

A game doesn't make people change PS for Xbox, it's true. In any case it would be the catalog. A change is not necessary either, it would be enough for people with PS to be able to see Xbox with an extra option.

It is assumed that there was a consensus that it is the game catalog that sold consoles. Now we have moved on to the fact that people don't care about games? 🤔

Bethesda has also released the magnificent Hifi, the nextgen versions of Doom and remakes of Quake.... in two years. You just have to see what has been leaked and the projects it has in development to understand that trying to match the harvest of games that Bethesda-Zenimax generates with what Insomniac (an incredible Studio) does is illogical.

I don't know if when ABK+Zenimax+XGS start expanding the Xbox catalog that will be noticeable in console sales or increased subscriptions..... but there is no doubt that that is the only way if MS want to achieve something.

I wouldn't draw many conclusions as to why Xcloud doesn't yet offer 4K streaming... Think that MS has been in a tough process of scrutiny by regulators about its ability to play in the cloud. Clearly MS has not wanted to take steps where it could be seen in a negative light and give arguments to the CMA and FtC in its blocking of ABK.

I think that in the coming years much of what is today pure speculation for all of us who comment will become clearer.

tr1p1ex

360 was a hit but RROD hurt trust. Then XBox One launched at too high a price because of built-in Kinect after they lost some gamer cred with the all digital PR debacle.

And this gen is basically to be champ you have to go take the belt from the champ. And at best they are on par with the champ which means at best they lose.

all throughout the gens...the more interesting 1st party titles are from Sony.

Am I close? I'll watch the video now.

OH and now of course they are pushing subscriptions more than working on making great games.

Last edited:
If this was true. Starfield would be on PS. Besides Cod they don't pretend to release anything from activision on PS. We don't even know if Diablo 4 expansions will be on PS.

They will be. That would be complete stupidity for them not to. And not just because they would make money, but because they should have learned something from all the drama they went
through in trying to get ATV. They don't want something silly like that to bite them should they try to acquire again.

the_master

You really think the acquisitions will change much?
I think they will be a big change for everyone, but MS now has a gigantic advantage in terms of quality production power.
If they where to forget about pc already and make all this teams produce console exclusive games, it would be very difficult for the competition.
If they keep all games on pc then it is not that significant, but still they are ready to make a lot of money.

Killjoy-NL

I think they will be a big change for everyone, but MS now has a gigantic advantage in terms of quality production power.
If they where to forget about pc already and make all this teams produce console exclusive games, it would be very difficult for the competition.
If they keep all games on pc then it is not that significant, but still they are ready to make a lot of money.
They couldn't even properly manage the production power they had. Now it's going to get worse.
And with more studios under their wings, there is less free market (for lack of better wording).

Meanwhile, COD isn't enough for Xbox to make a comeback, especially not since COD will be releasing on PlayStation as well for the next 10 years.
All other games are pretty insignificant.

This isn't the catch some think it is, but it does show that MS is willing and able to actively try and buy the entire industry and run it right into the ground.

PaintTinJr

I've watched the video, and though it makes some interesting points, but she is no better placed (IMO as someone that doesn't want Xbox and never wanted an OG Xbox sized console with the catcher's mitt sized controllers and a weak PC-esq line-up of games and paid online).

The reason they lose IMO is because they've never been correctly positioned ideologically as a console platformer, like Sega, Nintendo, PlayStation and all the others before have been.

They aren't selling people a drill by technicality and they aren't selling people a ticket to a modern art museum by creativity, in that they can take someone as corporate as Laura and her team, with their worries about office politics and do a Dead Poet society poem graph for, to calculate their success. Their job is to bring entertainment from the industries' rockstar-esq talent and stay within the boundaries of deal making that is ideologically acceptable to the average enthusiast gamer that could hang out a GAF.

To win, you probably need to avoid alienating potential customers in the majority, so when you messed up at day 1 with OG Xbox and won evangelism from diametrically opposite customers to the overwhelming majority of the console market that back the competition of Nintendo and PlayStation, you aren't ever going to win in ideology by screwing them all over with buy the biggest multiplatform publishers and using their output as leverage. Especially when you started out as the fat kid with the ball that couldn't play, but already wanted to restrict who could play.

Today's acquisition shows that they are no closer to potentially winning by virtue than they were at the start. Xbox's only way to win with their current ideology is for us to all lose when they buy up and monopolise gaming, Laura getting her upgraded pencil pushing promotion or not wasn't going to fix that they are going the wrong way.

Last edited:
They seem to have a problem understanding their own userbase. I mean all the info they need is at their grasp for free on social media, but time and time again they simply ignore it. It's like they want to create the audience they personally invision instead of trying to focus on the one they actually have.

kaizenkko

Why Xbox have fail? It's a pretty easy question. lol

Just look the last Forza Motorsport. It's a game without soul. It's a game without passion. That's Microsoft in the gaming business. They have make good things in the past, but these days everything they talk about it's gamepass and, yeah, that's a great value, but it's just a subscription service. And their management with games is so bad that they need to spend almost 80bi in publishers just to "compete".

Buying publishers will give games for them, but while the company culture stay the same, nothing will really change.

approaching the business of creating video games in the same way you'd approach the creating of sausage or spreadsheet software - basically approaching it as 'manufacturing'. acquiring a developer that has already created some good video games is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that the developer will simply continue to create some more good video games...

& yes: compounding this approach with game pass has some serious downside potential...

Fact is, Phil was right when he said that they lost the worst generation to lose, not just becaue of the digital library though. it's becasue last gen was when game development time ballooned to its current insane state. Xbox had next to no first party studios outside of Turn 10, 343 and Rare at that point. They let Bungie go, they didn't capitalize on their early exclusives, and they made a decision halfway through the 360 generation that first party did not matter. Lionhead was shut down, and while Sony was buying up all of their second party studios since the PS2 era, MS was letting all of them go and get bought by other publishers, often to disastrous results. Miswalker, Bioware, and others moved away from the Xbox brand during the 2nd half of the generation. Then came the disastrous launch of the Xbone, bad messaging, bad focus, total lack of understanding of where the market was. Clawing back to any relevance at all was a herculean effort. Loved my Xbox, loved my 360, and dropped it like a hot potato for the PS4 until I got a bone for $150 dollars with 5 games from a friend a couple of years later.

By the time Phil started buying up all these studios in order to solve Xbox's biggest problem, the lack of first party, dev time wasn't 2-3 years anymore, it was 5-6. Bethesda had 2 times exclusived on PS when they bought them, Doom Eternal had just come out, and . Double Fine had already promised Psychonauts 2 to multiple platforms, Obsidian was bought right after POE2 so had nothing in the chamber to fire for a while, and so on.

It's been 5 years since 2018 which IIRC is when the buyouts really started. it used to be, you could buy a studio and pivot within a year or two, no longer. Now you buy a studio and chances are its games have had marketing deals set years before it was announced, and a game takes what would have been an entire console generation in the 1990s to develop. Five years later, we are finally seeing a regular release schedule, because it took THAT fucking long to make AAA games.

And that isn't just an Xbox problem. An isofuckingmetric RPG with a 400 person dev team took 6 years to make, We have seen basically nothing from Naughty Dog since TLOU2, when we used to get a game from them every couple of years, Suckerpunch hasn't even shown Ghosts 2, and even cross gen sequel like GoW: Ragnarok took four years, Horizon, five.

By pure necessity, MS is going to be digging itself out of its hole for years to come. This year was really just the beginning.

the_master

They couldn't even properly manage the production power they had. Now it's going to get worse.
And with more studios under their wings, there is less free market (for lack of better wording).

Meanwhile, COD isn't enough for Xbox to make a comeback, especially not since COD will be releasing on PlayStation as well for the next 10 years.
All other games are pretty insignificant.

This isn't the catch some think it is, but it does show that MS is willing and able to actively try and buy the entire industry and run it right into the ground.
They could chose to turn cod into a new game. Same gameplay, different name. Get all studios to make quality games. Each studio expected to make one successful game every 16 years. They get 1 successful AAA exclusive game every 6 months.

Top Bottom