• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

later said:
Edit: del

Y'know... if we can gift each other points instead of actual software, we could actually use Wii Points as currency. (Although they don't like that, I notice that's prohibited in the new Wii Network Services Code of Conduct / Privacy Terms)

And we could set up some kind of gift ring here at GAF. A rota whereby users are gifted say 100 points, then the next user is, next etc, looping around at the end. It'd be something the charitable could do with their excess points, if for example they buy 2000 points, buy one N64 game, one SNES game and have points left over.

frozzted

Action Replay and Freeloader for the Gamecube no longer work. It just says an error has occurred after you try to load the disc.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
frozzted said:
Action Replay and Freeloader for the Gamecube no longer work. It just says an error has occurred after you try to load the disc.
Guess I need to keep the old Gamecube out after all. :/

frozzted said:

This is just fucking annoying. The one thing that SUCKS about this update. Why do this?

The people who use Freeloader already have US and Japanese Gamecube games. The 'damage' is done... they're not going to suddenly go and find PAL versions of those games now that they don't work on the Wii. They're just going to think Nintendo is greedy and malicious.

donny2112

TJ Spyke said:
That must just be for Australia, because we've had that feature in North America for a few months. I noticed it after one of the updates earlier this year.

That was the Opera browser not the Wii itself. The Opera browser has been ***ing passwords since the most recent version came out in Spring, but the Wii only started doing it with this update in the U.S.

frozzted said:

The Wii version didn't let you enter in homemade codes, so it was already better to just use the regular GameCube version, anyways. The fact that they did hose the GameCube Freeloader and Action Replay, though, really hurts the idea of Wii versions coming along at some point. :/

JoshuaJSlone said:
Implausible. We can already copy our own VC games to/from SD card, so there would seem to be no additional risk by allowing it to be run from the SD card. If you've fooled the system enough to run something pirate from the SD card, you've fooled the system enough to allow you to copy it over and run it from the internal storage.

I completely agree, but that doesn't mean Nintendo does. Their thinking is sometimes (often) completely fucked-up (thank you, curse filter).

I still don't understand why the blasted thing isn't simply region free: Nintendo has NEVER cared about imports, and their "region coding" prior to this was simply a token to licencees, being so easy to bypass.

radioheadrule83 said:
This is just fucking annoying. The one thing that SUCKS about this update. Why do this?

The people who use Freeloader already have US and Japanese Gamecube games. The 'damage' is done... they're not going to suddenly go and find PAL versions of those games now that they don't work on the Wii. They're just going to think Nintendo is greedy and malicious.

Nintendo's always been like this. They sued Datel way back when over the Game Genie, and lost. Since then, they've often included 'breaking' cheat device codes within game version updates. Maybe it's not deliberate, but I remember reading somewhere a little history on the topic that made it look like it is.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Leondexter said:
Nintendo's always been like this. They sued Datel way back when over the Game Genie, and lost. Since then, they've often included 'breaking' cheat device codes within game version updates. Maybe it's not deliberate, but I remember reading somewhere a little history on the topic that made it look like it is.
Yeah, but Nintendo didn't really do anything about the Freeloader in the GC days, other than a hardware revision (older Freeloaders don't work on the newer GCs without digital outputs, you needed a newer revision Freeloader disc on those).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Leondexter said:

Wasn't that Galoob?

frozzted

donny2112 said:
The Wii version didn't let you enter in homemade codes, so it was already better to just use the regular GameCube version, anyways. The fact that they did hose the GameCube Freeloader and Action Replay, though, really hurts the idea of Wii versions coming along at some point. :/

I was able to add new codes for Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I had to "add new title", then save the changes without any codes. Then I could add codes without getting an error.

EktorPR

angelfly said:
Its done that since day 1

Negative. Only when the disc was inserted during "stand-by" mode, the slot would light up. If inserted with the Wii Menu on-screen, it would remain unlit. Now, no matter in which state the Wii is in, the slot always lights up when a disc is loaded.

pitt_norton

Mejilan said:
As I said on the last page, I'm using the official Nintendo LAN Adapter, and my connection works just as perfectly post-update as pre-update.

Statistcally being 10 or so to 1, you're the lucky one. Obviously you've come out clean. Doesn't do us any good. We're gonna need a patch fix from Nintendo for us 051420 'ers.

Dragona Akehi said:
I still don't understand why the blasted thing isn't simply region free: Nintendo has NEVER cared about imports, and their "region coding" prior to this was simply a token to licencees, being so easy to bypass.

People shouting at Nintendo when they're sold a game that doesn't work properly on their TV, or doesn't have text they can read in? It's probably down to reasons like that so much as "We want are European branch to be able to make money".

TheGreatDave said:
People shouting at Nintendo when they're sold a game that doesn't work properly on their TV, or doesn't have text they can read in? It's probably down to reasons like that so much as "We want are European branch to be able to make money".

The amount of effort it takes to import a game pretty much resolves any accidental "THIS GAME DON'T WORK ON MAH TEEVEES" bit. You need to have half-a-brain and all that.

Dragona Akehi said:
The amount of effort it takes to import a game pretty much resolves any accidental "THIS GAME DON'T WORK ON MAH TEEVEES" bit. You need to have half-a-brain and all that.

Maybe, but what if somebody buys a second hand game in a store, takes it home and cries because Mario is only in black and white? There are real reasons as well as corporate money grabbing that could be at work.

Either way, this is why I imported a US Wii. It's not worth the trouble of waiting for releases or looking for work arounds.

TheGreatDave said:
Maybe, but what if somebody buys a second hand game in a store, takes it home and cries because Mario is only in black and white? There are real reasons as well as corporate money grabbing that could be at work.

Caveat emptor!

Either way, this is why I imported a US Wii. It's not worth the trouble of waiting for releases or looking for work arounds.

Ends up being cheaper half the time too.

psy18

Is this new? The globe in the news channel now put the news in "stacks" if you zoom out.
The ticker has made the news channel 18x more practical.

mutsu

Got a message from Nintendo via WiiConnect24 saying that there's some problems when reseting and exiting from the Internet Channel. Anyone else got the same message?

yoopoo

Banned
Did anyone else's clock automatically get adjusted? Mine was one hour off, with Wii Connect off. Turned it on and the next day the clock was adjusted to correct time.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:

That's puzzled me too ... the GC seemed intentionally designed to be easily region switchable, which had the added bonus of providing them with a legal argument against "mod chips". I can't figure out why the Wii seems to -actively- do region limiting.

Milpool

Just noticed that the Wii now has "Wii" as its hostname instead of a *.

dlist.gif

Didn't see it mentioned.

Branskins

What does everyone mean by this noise the system makes when you receive a message?

And did anyone else notice the way the blue light fades in and out? It looks a bit different now. It seems to fade out and then when it comes back in it blinks.

Branskins said:
What does everyone mean by this noise the system makes when you receive a message?
It makes a "blimm blimm"- Noise that keeps on looping when you are in the menue and recieve a message.
Branskins said:
And did anyone else notice the way the blue light fades in and out? It looks a bit different now. It seems to fade out and then when it comes back in it blinks.
Doesn't look different to me, but you can choose different blinking options from the menue (not a new feature)

loosus

Banned
When you drag a channel across the Wii Menu (by holding down both the A and B buttons), it makes an eraser-ish noise. Is this new?

jrricky

Banned
sweet. i just got both updates since i got my wiimote back, and all i need to say is that nintendo needs to do this more often... awesome updates...

Oh, and i wonder what nintendo has planned for the metroid channel - game downloads and other updates, i hope.

loosus said:
When you drag a channel across the Wii Menu (by holding down both the A and B buttons), it makes an eraser-ish noise. Is this new?

No, I don't think so. I remember how the sound travels from left to right when you drag it on screen, which I'm stupid enough to be impressed by.

Haunted

Milpool said:
Just noticed that the Wii now has "Wii" as its hostname instead of a *.

dlist.gif

Didn't see it mentioned.
oh, good catch. I could always identify the Wii in my router settings anyway, because it was the only component with no description whatsoever, but this is better. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jrricky said:
sweet. i just got both updates since i got my wiimote back, and all i need to say is that nintendo needs to do this more often... awesome updates...

Oh, and i wonder what nintendo has planned for the metroid channel - game downloads and other updates, i hope.
With the size of the internal memory I really doubt we'll ever see demos for games. I bet the best we'll ever get is the flash player to watch videos.

Sharp

Fuzzy said:
With the size of the internal memory I really doubt we'll ever see demos for games. I bet the best we'll ever get is the flash player to watch videos.
Nah, they'll just add more memory in the next firmware upgrade.

ksamedi

Fuzzy said:

Why, a Wii demo would need 100MB max.

Dragona Akehi said:
I still don't understand why the blasted thing isn't simply region free: Nintendo has NEVER cared about imports,

Maybe not in america but over in the UK they have threatened to stop supplying indie stores with stock if they carry Imports.

Fuzzy

ksamedi said:
Why, a Wii demo would need 100MB max.
Streaming videos = no extra development cost making a demo level.

Hopefully the next Shop Channel update will allow you to stream the videos of the games they have on the website from within the channel instead of having to use the Internet Channel or a PC.

Branskins

I want to know why they didn't just make a Preview Channel instead of a Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel. It seems kind of redundant if they keep doing this! Why not just have one mainstream channel for this kind of thing? (Come on we all want that Demo channel now! :) )

EDIT:
Also, I hope they revamp the Shop Channel again so that all of the games are in that square format that the main menu and the publisher/genre/etc have. The current format where each game has that huge rectangle makes it difficult to scroll through all of the games efficiently. With the small box format, they could fit more games on one row!

I hope that made sense -_-

Fuzzy

Branskins said:
I want to know why they didn't just make a Preview Channel instead of a Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel. It seems kind of redundant if they keep doing this! Why not just have one mainstream channel for this kind of thing? (Come on we all want that Demo channel now! :) )
And have it show the upcoming retail releases for the next 2-3 weeks so it encourages people to buy more games.

Branskins

Fuzzy said:
And have it show the upcoming retail releases for the next 2-3 weeks so it encourages people to buy more games.

Yeah! It almost makes too much sense, but whatever! Nintendo makes me laugh sometimes :p

I don't know if this has been mentioned, before the update, my VC games had a lower volume level compared to the Wii menu. Now the volume level of my VC games is the same as the Wii menu volume level! :D

Branskins

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap wireless keyboard that I can use for my Wii? Or a long-wired keyboard! :)

EDIT:

Is there a way to convert a standard keyboard into a USB keyboard with some sort of converter/attachment?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I HEARD IT LETS YOU PLAY GAMES WHEN YOU PUT IN DISCS THAT SAY "WII" ON THEM! FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Top Bottom