• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Wii] Fragile - New Screens

ksamedi

schuelma said:
Not to be a complete downer, but wasn't the combat described as pretty simplistic in the few hands on impressions we've gotten?

As far as I could tell, there wasn't even a lock on function of some sort.

RpgN

It has some great atmosphere and I like the way the story is headed, but something tells me it is not what I will expect of it and I'll be disappointed. I don't know why...

Threi

notag
Original (old) character art for reference:
fragile-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon-20080627090017142.jpg

birdchili

Hero of Legend said:
Come on XSEED! Localize these:

Fragile
Sky Crawlers
Kizuna

And the sadly unlikely

Shiren 3
exactly this. it seems like a non-combat-centric, atmospheric adventure could sell decently well in NA on wii with the right marketing... it's not like the adventure fans have all moved to other systems - it's been a terrible gen for this kind of thing so far...

schuelma said:
Not to be a complete downer, but wasn't the combat described as pretty simplistic in the few hands on impressions we've gotten?
yeah, no one really likes the combat it seems. i do hope they fix it, but as long as the combat isn't annoyingly broken, i think this is worthy based on the lonely exploration aspect alone - particularly if the flashlight mechanic is well-used (wii has been needing something like this for *ages*).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
danmaku said:
Yes, but it would still be a pain in the ass to play if you can't speak japanese. This isn't Tatsunoko vs Capcom...

dark10x can read Japanese, that's why he said he'd import it if the Wii wasn't region locked.

lordmrw

Hero of Legend said:
Come on XSEED! Localize these:

Fragile
Sky Crawlers
Kizuna

And the sadly unlikely

Shiren 3

Two of the first three, and you'll permanently 1-UP Altus in my opinion.

I would love to see Kizuna be a MMV USA labeled title the most though, especially with Town Factory (Little King's Story) involved. :p

Xseed looked into Kizuna, and they said there were other companies doing the same, so more than likely, it will come out here, we just don't know from who.

Sony Pictures licensed the Sky Crawlers anime, so I(hope) Namcoo Bandai uses that as an opportunity to bring out the game at the same time.

You got me on Shiren 3. If Sega is bringing Shiren 2, maybe they'll eventually bring 3.

birdchili

i personally guarantee one sale of shiren 3 in north america. xseed pretty-much said they wouldn't do it (they figure they'd lose money bringing it here).

fragile seems much more accessible, and salable... having to redo a lot of art to localize it doesn't help its chances much.

LiK

looks nice, and yea, it looks like they wanted to add more sex appeal to the girl by increasing the boobage compared to the original chara design.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
fra02.jpg

fra03.jpg

Woah! You can change the flashlight level... wasn't that one of the major complaints about the game... the lighting on the flashlight was too low?

Tenbatsu said:
Will this be another Sky Crawlers or Klonoa?

If you're talking about localizations, Klonoa IS coming here. this month's Nintendo Power apparently confirmed it, with the original design and everything!

lordmrw said:
Xseed looked into Kizuna, and they said there were other companies doing the same, so more than likely, it will come out here, we just don't know from who.

Sony Pictures licensed the Sky Crawlers anime, so I(hope) Namcoo Bandai uses that as an opportunity to bring out the game at the same time.

You got me on Shiren 3. If Sega is bringing Shiren 2, maybe they'll eventually bring 3.

Kizuna to me is the kind of thing XSEED would bring over in my opinion, of course I am growing to be an XSEED fanboy. :p

And is Sega actually bringing over Shiren 2? Where did you see this? Or am I reading you wrong? :p

bdouble

Wow. They definitely fixed the flashlight or maybe it is just the ability to change its level but there were screens a while ago that looked like crap compared to the initial ones. These look amazing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I like them because they look good but also something the wii could technically do, unlike half the screenies released from other pubs.

It looks much brighter than I expected.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sai is huge, you wouldn't guess that from her concept art.

ivysaur12

Banned
bdouble said:
Wow. They definitely fixed the flashlight or maybe it is just the ability to change its level but there were screens a while ago that looked like crap compared to the initial ones. These look amazing.

I guess it's cause there are different levels of flashlight. I don't know why they would release screenshots with the poorer flashlight... but they did. This is really good news.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Negatronic said:
Frah-Gee-Lay, that must be Italian.

The word in katakana reads "Furajiiru", which roughly translates as "Frah-Geel", which is French, actually.

Since I'm French, I would have pronounced "Fragile" the English way when I first saw the game, as that's pretty much how it works for almost every title. Glad they chose French for a change :D.

The game is looking quite good I must say. Don't about the gameplay.

Silkworm

Kilrogg said:
The word in katakana reads "Furajiiru", which roughly translates as "Frah-Geel", which is French, actually.

Since I'm French, I would have pronounced "Fragile" the English way when I first saw the game, as that's pretty much how it works for almost every title. Glad they chose French for a change :D.

I know you are trying to be helpful (and you taught me something which is cool!), but I think he said "Frah-Gee-Lay, that must be Italian." in reference to a scene in "A Christmas Story"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/quotes
[Mr. Parker reads a side of the box with the prize that he won]
Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah

BTW, Fragile looks really interesting... I'm just sad that it probably won't be localized for N. America :-(

TunaLover

Namco doesn't license their IPs to other companies, there no way XSEED could pick up this and Sky Crawlers, in other hand if Nintendo pull a Baten Kaitos Origins... too bad Nintendo doesn't need a niche library to sell Wiis

lordmrw

Hero of Legend said:
If you're talking about localizations, Klonoa IS coming here. this month's Nintendo Power apparently confirmed it, with the original design and everything!

Kizuna to me is the kind of thing XSEED would bring over in my opinion, of course I am growing to be an XSEED fanboy. :p

And is Sega actually bringing over Shiren 2? Where did you see this? Or am I reading you wrong? :p

I meant if Sega is bringing Shiren 2 maybe they'll eventually bring over 3. I hope they do.

Kenji said:
xseeds already said that they won't bring Shiren 3 :(

I meant Sega

Wark

The game is looking gorgeous as always. I'm looking forward to playing it. Hopefully it turns out to be something special. :D

This looks amazing. The feeling of desolation I get from some of the interior scenes reminds me of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. And that's never a bad thing. Hope we see this one translated.

Kilrogg said:

:lol

Sorry

AlexM

holy crap that looks awesome!

there are some very talented artists working on this game, that I'm sure of.. Everything else, I have no idea :p

pakkit

Banned
The animation looked ROUGH last video I saw, hopefully they smooth it out. Screenshot by screenshot, this game looks better than SMG...but the engine just didn't seem that stable last time.

If Namco doesn't localize this, I'll piss in their mouths.

Koren

Stumpokapow said:
Not an excuse. The Wii's region lock is more pitiful than any prior region locked console. You can softmod a Wii in fewer than 10 minutes with no risk.
I'm concerned with firmware updates bricking the console. Besides, there's several more pitiful region locks before : cart shape (SNES, mod it with a knife) or the simple resistor for NTSC GCs, I'd say.

CrisKre

Woah! You can change the flashlight level... wasn't that one of the major complaints about the game... the lighting on the flashlight was too low?

I really hope that they implement this gameplay-wise in some fashion, a la metriod prime visors or to solve puzzles.

My hope is that this game is similar to ico in its design, with little/non dialogue and less emphasis on story and more on atmosphere/setting cause i dont see this localized but I wont resist importing in spite of not reading nada of japanese.

The funny thing is, this could do well here if promoted to miyazaki movie-lovers, of whom there are many and possibly owe a wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Koren said:
I'm concerned with firmware updates bricking the console. Besides, there's several more pitiful region locks before : cart shape (SNES, mod it with a knife) or the simple resistor for NTSC GCs, I'd say.

In my experience, having done both exactly once, it takes longer to saw through the SNES plastic tabs than it does to mod a Wii.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CrisKre said:
I really hope that they implement this gameplay-wise in some fashion, a la metriod prime visors or to solve puzzles.

Well, they are at least used for reading Japanese text on the walls. A couple of the screenshots show that the text will not show up unless the greener light is shone on them.

I too hope the flashlight is used for puzzle solving too, though.

Top Bottom