• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Impressions for 10 games some PS3 too

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Automatic 10 page thread? :lol:

Thanks for the impressions. I'm so glad Motorstorm and Resistance are turning out so well. ~_~

Have they not listened to people complaining about the bow in Zelda wii and fix the difficulty with the wii mote?

My guess is we're going to see a lot of that this generation. And in 4-5 years I expect to gap to widen further.

AdamBot

AniHawk said:
Yeah.

Retro controller
GC controller
Wiimote + nunchuk left hand
Wiimote + nunchuk right hand
Wiimote only horizontal left handed
Wiimote only horizontal right handed

And then something else. It sounds more impressive than it really is, but fans of the series shouldn't have any complaints from the sound of it.

Can't remember if I posted this or not in the other thread or not... but the 7th control scheme is a 'joystick' mode where you hold the wiimote upright like an arcade stick. Seems like a dumb idea to me, but I didn't have time to try it out.

Also the guy at the booth did not know if it would support widescreen or 480p.

BTW, I'm definitely buying Metal Slug at launch even though it'll probably drop to $30 within a couple months. Simply because it will be one of those titles that's impossible to find after the initial shipment.

It might sound stupid, but I can see Trauma Center being the Nintendogs for the Wii. I think this will be the sleeper hit of the holiday, providing Atlus makes enough copies.

Think about it, Americans love us some doctor shit. And what better way to rope in a casual then to actually play a game where you use the controller as the scalpel in real time to do different operations. Yes, I know this is already a DS game and it didn't have the same effect there, but the Wii version should get A LOT more press exposure, especially if it is set up in a demo kiosk.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ThirstyFly said:
I read in another thread that Metal Slug is going to have online play. Is that still happening?

Well if it's going to be there at launch, No.

Hearing about the 7 control schemes makes me a happy camper.

Ikael

Thanks a lot for the impressions! :) Excitetruck and Trauma Center looks predestinated to be the Wii "sleeper hits".

About Trauma Center's sucess, thing is, it is not a very non gamer friendly game, in the sense that it can be pretty difficult and frustrating. However, it might be the game that sells the wii's concept to the hardcores. And yes, a "Trauma Center: Dr. House" would be the shit and sell like the cure of cancer in the form of an ipod.

jax (old)

Banned
ethelred said:
Wow. That's really exciting to hear.

Some big Nintendo hyping of Trauma Center could be supremely helpful to this game in sales -- and let's recall that this is from a company for whom 100k is a staggering success. Damn, I'd love to see that -- not only because Atlus deserves successes like that more than most developers, not only because Trauma Center is super-awesome and deserves to be experienced and embraced by more gamers, but also because such an outcome could lead to even more Atlus support.

about nintendo hyping TC... while I loved the DS game to death... (TC>PW)... I can't shake the feeling that they've got so few 3rd party support that they'd have to pimp anything that's halfway decent. Seriously, the Wii games montage looks like a series of games not to get excited about.

The news about the controller issues + point at sensor are pretty bad. I guess is where you sit it. ... I'm not getting Wii at launch so the early adopters will provide the impressions I need I guess.

AdamBot

ThirstyFly said:
I read in another thread that Metal Slug is going to have online play. Is that still happening?

No. There was some talk of WiFi co-op, but Nintendo has failed to get the online tools to third party developers, and SNK wanted this to be a launch title.

Also... in response to the "pointing at the sensor bar" thing... that only happens when you get too close to the screen.

When I played Mario I was about 4-6 feet away and it was not a problem at all.

Zelda was on a smaller screen so I got too close (about 2-3 feet) and I noticed I had to point at the sensor bar. I took one step back and it wasn't a problem. So... unless you have a 9 inch TV or you play your games in a closet, it's not going to be an issue.

AdamBot

Hmm... didn't know where else to put this, but I can't start a new thread.

Saw this today on the GameStop website:

230031b.jpg

Soul4ger

Yeah, Wii third-party support is looking ****ing WEAK. I was kinda bummed in September, after Nintendo's conference, that nothing new was shown. The Square Enix stuff should be great, but everything else... Craptacular, to quote my friend of many years ago. Trauma Center and Metal Slug are like the only third-party games on the horizon worth getting, from what I can tell.

And to the person who said Trauma Center wasn't very accessible, hopefully the ability to change the game's difficulty will clear that up a little bit. I'd like if they put in a simple "challenge" mode, too, with just random procedures to **** around with. That's not gonna happen this time, though.

Soul4ger said:
Yeah, Wii third-party support is looking ****ing WEAK. I was kinda bummed in September, after Nintendo's conference, that nothing new was shown. The Square Enix stuff should be great, but everything else... Craptacular, to quote my friend of many years ago. Trauma Center and Metal Slug are like the only third-party games on the horizon worth getting, from what I can tell.

Well, personal taste & all that, but of the announced third-party launch games I'm going to buy - or at least seriously consider buying - stuff like:

Trauma Centre: SO
Super Monkey Ball: BB
Red Steel
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Elebits
Kororinpa
Metal Slug Anthology
Madden

Depending on funds & whether they get positive impressions, I may even consider Necro-Nesia & Super Swing Golf.

Looking beyond launch, I'd be keen to look into games like:

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Forever Blue
Heroes
Harvest Moon
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic and the Secret Rings

...plus there are a bundle of untitled games from major companies - Konami alone have 5 or 6 games in multiple genres - that we're still waiting to hear about and that should prove interesting.

Third-party support isn't great, but I've got 14-15 games on my third-party buy list already, and together with Nintendo's own software I'm going to have a busy first year with the system.

jax (old)

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Well, personal taste & all that, but of the announced third-party launch games I'm going to buy - or at least seriously consider buying - stuff like:

Trauma Centre: SO - already played ds to death
Super Monkey Ball: BB
Red Steel
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Elebits
Kororinpa
Metal Slug Anthology
Madden

Depending on funds & whether they get positive impressions, I may even consider Necro-Nesia & Super Swing Golf.

Looking beyond launch, I'd be keen to look into games like:

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles depends on multiplayer link
Forever Blue
Heroes
Harvest Moon
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - depends on what it is
Sonic and the Secret Rings

...plus there are a bundle of untitled games from major companies - Konami alone have 5 or 6 games in multiple genres - that we're still waiting to hear about and that should prove interesting.

Third-party support isn't great, but I've got 14-15 games on my third-party buy list already, and together with Nintendo's own software I'm going to have a busy first year with the system.

To me.. the bolded games are the ones I'd get. But seriously, the lineup is terrible.

bold = get
italics = maybe

oh snap. I just realised. No must gets. eh... italics not showing up.

Soul4ger

I might get Rayman, but I want to hear more impressions before I decide.

I really have no faith in the Monkey Ball series after the last few installments. The originals are awesome, but the Deluxe versions weren't as technically sound, and the Traveller's Tales platformer and DS game were just wretched.

birdchili

Soul4ger said:
Yeah, Wii third-party support is looking ****ing WEAK.

it's rather disheartening, really... though Nintendo needs to earn some cred back here i suppose...

while wii is going to be "easier" to create games for in some respects, that controller is going to be a nightmare for development. even Nintendo's first-party stuff is largely uninspiring so far (the most interesting controller-use stuff is decidedly minigame-esque and (seemingly) lacking in depth at this point).

i do hope there's a surge of inspiring third party announcements, but i'm not holding my breath... i think there's going to have to be a hardware success here before there's a sofware one, sadly.

first-hand impressions make this thing sound like a riot to play though... keep the tales coming.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TheTrin said:
I was talking to Bebpo this morning on AIM before I left for work, and he seemed pretty down on it, for some absurd reason. That said, Bebpo also said "I`ll probably get the Wii, but no games. I`ll get Zelda on Gamecube." The only game he wants to play on Wii is Fire Emblem.

Take that any way you want.
it's bebpo, he always complained about the DS being gimmicky and crap. so it doesnt surprise he is like that with wii.

AniHawk

Error2k4 said:
it's bebpo, he always complained about the DS being gimmicky and crap. so it doesnt surprise he is like that with wii.

Bebpo also said that the Wii wouldn't have enough buttons for Okami's "moderately deep," battle system, which is absurd. You're usually pressing only one or two buttons unless you want to piss on the enemy.

As far as third parties go- I'm looking forward to Sega's stuff, and really hope Monkey Ball is good. Sonic sounds great and I hope it turns out great as well. I just want to see what everyone wants from them: NiGHTS Wii. Even if it's just a remake, it would be mind****ingly fantastic and it must be done.

every time i hear the name "motorstorm" i think of that game on the simpsons tha abrt really wanted. i think it was "bonestorm" or something. anyway, nice to hear the game looks nice at least.

loosus

Banned
jarrod said:
Ookami would be better on Wii. Hell, on paper the concept sounds tailor made for Wii. :p
It's not exactly surprising that you think that. You think every ****ing game is tailor made for Wii or DS, except for the random token game that was just made for PSP/PS3/360 so you can say, "HEY GUYS, LOOK WHERE AT POSTED AND SAID GAME X WAS MADE FOR A NON NINTENDO SYSTEM."

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
It's not exactly surprising that you think that. You think every ****ing game is tailor made for Wii or DS, except for the random token game that was just made for PSP/PS3/360 so you can say, "HEY GUYS, LOOK WHERE AT POSTED AND SAID GAME X WAS MADE FOR A NON NINTENDO SYSTEM."
Er, why wouldn't a game who's big PR-pushed component is "painting" be a logical choice for a platform with a movement based interface? They should've at least included EyeToy support... but as is Ookami would be a perfect match for Wii.

I'd like to echo ani's request though, and see you source which other games I think are "tailor made for Wii or DS"? Every ****ing last one of them, plz!

AdamBot said:
No. There was some talk of WiFi co-op, but Nintendo has failed to get the online tools to third party developers, and SNK wanted this to be a launch title.

Well, that's a bit of a let down, but it's still an awesome package and a great value, so I'll get over it. Thanks for the confirmation.

.dmc

Banned
jarrod said:
I'd like to echo ani's request though, and see you source which other games I think are "tailor made for Wii or DS"? Every ****ing last one of them, plz!

Zim: Yeah, he's always saying stuff. I remember that one time when-
Dib: Hey! You just got here! Don't let him trick you!

Ponn

Banned
jarrod said:
Er, why wouldn't a game who's big PR-pushed component is "painting" be a logical choice for a platform with a movement based interface? They should've at least included EyeToy support... but as is Ookami would be a perfect match for Wii.

In Bepo's defense, the creator of the game agrees that the game WOULDN'T be a good fit for the Wii.

But hey, what does he know when faced with the tenacity of nintendo fans.

kiUNiT

helium or unison could you tell me what the wimotes are like when you start a game. Do you get a signal or push a button to start, say when you are bowling or swinging a bat to get in the right position before you throw or swing.I just want to know if there are movements registered that you did not mean to do or is it pretty easy or intuitive to use. thanks

methodman

Banned
Ponn01 said:
In Bepo's defense, the creator of the game agrees that the game WOULDN'T be a good fit for the Wii.

Do you agree with him? Personally, I don't, and I have no idea how he would back up that claim.

Ponn

Banned
methodman said:
Do you agree with him? Personally, I don't, and I have no idea how he would back up that claim.

Because the "painting" aspect, even though semi-original, is over-hyped in its actual usage in game. I mean it has its purpose, but it is most definitely not the whole game, and not something that would benefit just because you wave a wand at the screen. The strokes are simplistic and the majority of the game is more of an action 3d platformer. I actually find the most original aspect of the game being playing the wolf in an action setting.

unifin

birdchili said:
it's rather disheartening, really... though Nintendo needs to earn some cred back here i suppose...

while wii is going to be "easier" to create games for in some respects, that controller is going to be a nightmare for development. even Nintendo's first-party stuff is largely uninspiring so far (the most interesting controller-use stuff is decidedly minigame-esque and (seemingly) lacking in depth at this point).

i do hope there's a surge of inspiring third party announcements, but i'm not holding my breath... i think there's going to have to be a hardware success here before there's a sofware one, sadly.

first-hand impressions make this thing sound like a riot to play though... keep the tales coming.

Try harder.

EDIT: I agree with Ponn and Bepbo about Okami. You're not making ridiculously complicated brush-strokes, and the brush aspect, IMO, isn't used enough to justify rebuilding the entire game around it and the wiimote.

jarrod

Banned
Ponn01 said:

Actually, he said it'd be a better fit for DS than Wii, not that Wii was in any way inappropriate. I'm sure he gets tired of responding to the same obvious question in virtually every interview though.... it's hardly just "nintendo fans" pressing him, it's more like about any journo with a fraction of common sense.

Jax said:
To me.. the bolded games are the ones I'd get. But seriously, the lineup is terrible.

bold = get
italics = maybe

oh snap. I just realised. No must gets. eh... italics not showing up.

I think Trauma Centre is different enough from the original (given the new controls, chapters, etc) to be able to appeal to die-hard fans of the DS game.

I think people should take into account that since the SNES finished up, 3rd party support for Nintendo consoles has been seriously lacking. If you're going for 3rd party experiences for Wii, don't expect too much. Thankfully, Nintendo produced great games themselves. If they didn't...god help us all.

ThirdEye

helium121 said:
One dissappointment was the controller. It felt like a very cheap plastic and had no weight to it. I also did not like the new triggers.
I don't know a lighter sports gear that is cheaper.

birdchili

unifin said:
Try harder.

what?

i'm not trying to be unreasonably negative - i'm just still waiting for some epic games that use the controller... and other than games that have been announced, but not really shown gameplay-wise what is there? nothing at all from third parties (some announced games might end up being A-list epics, but none we've seen real gameplay from yet). Mario looks the most interesting to me so far... (Zelda counts too, of course, but it doesn't justify the system or controller from what we've seen)

bear in mind that in spite of Nintendo's constant statements that they're going to continue to appeal to the hardcore, they're diverting internal resources to create "games for everyone" so there's going to be less Nintendo devs available for internal "big game" development. if they can't get third party support on-board, there could end up being fewer "gamer games" than there were on the gamecube (assuming that they have more-or-less the same number of dev staff as they did during the Gamecube days (i'm unsure if this is the case)).

Ponn

Banned
jarrod said:
Actually, he said it'd be a better fit for DS than Wii, not that Wii was in any way inappropriate. I'm sure he gets tired of responding to the same obvious question in virtually every interview though.... it's hardly just "nintendo fans" pressing him, it's more like about any journo with a fraction of common sense.

O really?!

EGM Excerpt:

EGM:"Those Celestial Brush techniques seem tailor-made for the Wii. Admit it-you're bringing OKAMI to Nintendo's new machine, right?"

AI: "Before the Wii and the controller were announced, everyone was like "Why not the DS" because it had the touch pad; you see the stylus and assume that it could be a substitute for the brush. As soon as the Wii came out everyone started saying the same thing.

So at this years E3 [designer Hideki] Kamiya and I went and tried it out. But it might not actually fit for Okami because it doesn't seem like the interface would be just right for the brushes, but more specifically because the game doesn't just center around the brushstrokes. It's actually an action game, so having that controller response is more critical then that actual brush system to work on the PS2's DualShock controller. "

Hmm..I don't see ANYTHING about being a good fit for the DS. He is also pretty damn specific about why it would not be a good fit on the Wii. A far cry from your "Actually, he said it'd be a better fit for DS than Wii, not that Wii was in any way inappropriate"

Keep on truckin though.

AniHawk

Ponn01 said:
He is also pretty damn specific about why it would not be a good fit on the Wii.

And having played it, no. It's not an action game. The reason he said it- I think- is because he didn't want that to have the RE4 effect.

"Oh sure! It could work on Wii! Just go ahead and not buy our latest PS2 game please and wait for our upcoming port. Thanks"

I think anyone who says Okami wouldn't be good on Wii is in denial, including that developer.

I played the entire game on PS2, and whilst it was fantastic, I always had that lingering feeling that it would be an even better experience on Wii.

Anyone try out Wii Sports - Golf?

Curious how it controls... I'm hopeful as I'm hearing great things about the controls of bowling, just haven't heard anything about golf. =(

Also, can you play Golf with more than one player?

Ponn

Banned
AniHawk said:
And having played it, no. It's not an action game. The reason he said it- I think- is because he didn't want that to have the RE4 effect.

"Oh sure! It could work on Wii! Just go ahead and not buy our latest PS2 game please and wait for our upcoming port. Thanks"

Having played it, yes, it is an action game.

Hey, but as I said, never underestimate the power and tenacity of nintendo fans to argue, even with the developer of said games.

Ponn01 said:

Hey, but as I said, never underestimate the power and tenacity of nintendo fans to argue, even with the developer of said games.

The demo I played had like 5 buttons and an analog sitck and a camera stick and that was all that was needed to play. So lets see...

l button- dash
c button- bark
a button-jump
b trigger- cant remember if you could attack in the overworld, so lets just say you hold this and then move the nunchuck to adjust the camera
dpad down- set canvas

boom, Im a genius

jarrod

Banned
Ponn01 said:
O really?!
Ooops, my mistake... he actually comments on how literally everyone but himself thinks the game would be a perfect fit for Wii. :lol

Ponn01 said:
Yeah, I'm also getting really hyped up for upcoming action games like Contact, Twilight Princess and Dawn of Mana.

Top Bottom