• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii&PS3 pre-orders begin 10/29 at TRU

Symytry

puck1337 said:
TRU Canada's been doing this for months. I reserved mine well over a month ago, and I was already #46 on the Wii preorder list. Don't know what the deal is for PS3.

I made my pre-order at TRU back in June. I'm #11

puck1337

cartman414 said:
One of the TRU associates on the cheapassgamer forums says there will only be 2-4 units per store. A little suspicious sounding.
Especially since they have up to 25,000 eligible to be won via their latest promotion.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
cartman414 said:
One of the TRU associates on the cheapassgamer forums says there will only be 2-4 units per store. A little suspicious sounding.
Another Nploy for parents who lucked out on the PS3 to get the other hot holiday console

edit:
puck1337 said:
Especially since they have up to 25,000 eligible to be won via their latest promotion.
Pretty sure the "2-4 units per store" is referencing PS3

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Symytry said:
I made my pre-order at TRU back in June. I'm #11

Exactly - I preordered a PS3 and a Wii back in March at TRU. I don't understand why this is just starting up in the States.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
cartman414 said:
PS3 preorder units.

Oh man... I don't know... There aren't any launch games that really blow me away. Untill MGS4 I think I'll try to hold out on a PS3 and enjoy the PS2, 360, and Wii. Hopefully. :lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Khalid-S said:
So, is it confirmed for tomorrow or what ?
Pre-orders begin the 29th, so it'd be one week from now (actually the night before -- Saturday night -- if you want to be safe and get in line).

I hope we get a hard confirmation in the form of an announcement, or an e-mail, so that people like myself won't be wasting our time in line for nothing, otherwise, I'd be royally pissed. I live in NYC, and was planning to go to the Times Square Toys R Us. That will probably be a hotspot for other NYCers as well. I don't want to camp out in cold, October NYC weather, for nothing. 3-4 Units per store is pretty damned paltry. I'd expect their flagship Time Square store to receive a lot more. We'll see.

mrroboto

Banned
Will Toys R Us have a problem with people camping outside their store all night? I'm seriously considering going early afternoon Saturday and then waiting all night until Sunday morning.

Will they try to kick me off their property if I'm simply waiting in line or will they be cool about it? Thanks!

Crimmy

Yeah, has this news actually been confirmed yet? Because like the poster above me, I'm not trying to wait in the cold for over 8hrs for nothin.

Answers:

Yes, this is legit.
Yes, there will be campers.
Yes, the PS3 will be ridiculously limited.
Yes, the Wii will be plentiful.

For those in hope of getting a PS3, the best I can say is to call towards the end of the week to find out what your stores allotment will be. Don't bother calling today because they don't know yet. Try Thursday........

mrroboto

Banned
UPDATE: TOYS-R-US PRE-ORDER PROGRAM FOR PLAYSTATION 3 CANCELLED!

I just called my local Toys-R-Us store. The manager said that they literally just recieved word today from Sony that they will not guarantee any systems at launch or to even get any to sell! This came directly from the manager. This is nationwide. There will be NO PRE-ORDERS for the PLAYSTATION 3 in Toys-R-US stores.

Again, Toys-R-Us will not allow you to pre-order a Playstation 3!

And if you don't believe me, you can contact the store I just called and confirm it with the manager herself:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - SOUTHGATE [9262]
14333 EUREKA ROAD
SOUTHGATE, MI 48195
Tel: (734)285-7100
Hours:
Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm
Sun 10:00am-7:00pm

Ebay profit AM CRY.

Vieo

You guys shouldn't wait outside the TRU store at Times Square. It's a well known FACT that sewer rats come out in that area during the night and ATTACK people. One woman even had her baby dragged off into the subway tunnels by one. They are mostly nocturnal, so don't come to that area until at least after 11AM Sunday morning. You should tell your friends this so they don't get hurt.

Crimmy

mrroboto said:

I just called my local Toys-R-Us store. The manager said that they literally just recieved word today from Sony that they will not guarantee any systems at launch or to even get any to sell! This came directly from the manager. This is nationwide. There will be NO PRE-ORDERS for the PLAYSTATION 3 in Toys-R-US stores.

And if you don't believe me, you can contact the store I just called and confirm it with the manager herself:

14333 EUREKA ROAD
SOUTHGATE, MI 48195
Hours:

Ebay profit AM CRY.

Please say it aint so......

mrroboto

Banned
Crimmy said:
Please say it aint so......

Just called another local Toys-R-Us here:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - LIVONIA [9265]
29150 W. SEVEN MILE ROA
LIVONIA, MI 48152
Tel: (248)477-3000
Hours:

NO PRE-ORDERS FOR THE PLAYSTATION 3!

Oh well.

mrroboto said:

14333 EUREKA ROAD
SOUTHGATE, MI 48195
Hours:

Ebay profit AM CRY.

Update: Don't trust what employees tell you over the phone!!!!

Than again if ebaying it was your intent, than by all means keep believing.

ManaByte

untitled1lx6.jpg

mrroboto

Banned
jetsetmario said:

Update: Don't trust what employees tell you over the phone!!!!

Than again if ebaying it was your intent, than by all means keep believing.

This came down from Corporate when Sony contacted them today according to the manager. I don't think she'd blatantly lie about this.

As for Ebay. Why not? It's almost a no brainer to sell your pre-order when they're going for over $2,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Playstation...1QQihZ003QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guess we'll see for sure in next Friday's flyer, eh?

mrroboto said:
This came down from Corporate when Sony contacted them today according to the manager. I don't think she'd blatantly lie about this.

As for Ebay. Why not? It's almost a no brainer to sell your pre-order when they're going for over $2,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Playstation...1QQihZ003QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guess we'll see for sure in next Friday's flyer, eh?

1.) There has been talk of cancelling the pre-order on PS3's but nothing has been decided yet. We know we will not be recieving any relevant quantities for pre-orders but the touble is that it is advertised in Big Book so to cancel it is tricky-false advertising and all. Might surprise you to learn this, but not a lot of communication goes on for businesses on Sunday's. Trust that as soon as I get confirmed info I will post it.

2.) Why wouldn't she lie? I've been telling people for the past week that there was no info on pre-orders even though I knew otherwise.

3.) Perhaps we should leave the ebay stuff outta this, lest we want this thread to totally disintegrate.

mrroboto

Banned
jetsetmario said:
1.) There has been talk of cancelling the pre-order on PS3's but nothing has been decided yet. We know we will not be recieving any relevant quantities for pre-orders but the touble is that it is advertised in Big Book so to cancel it is tricky-false advertising and all. Might surprise you to learn this, but not a lot of communication goes on for businesses on Sunday's. Trust that as soon as I get confirmed info I will post it.

2.) Why wouldn't she lie? I've been telling people for the past week that there was no info on pre-orders even though I knew otherwise.

3.) Perhaps we should leave the ebay stuff outta this, lest we want this thread to totally disintegrate.

JetSet,

Thank you and I'm sorry about the dreaded "e-" mention.

I appreciate the info. :)

mrroboto said:
JetSet,

Thank you and I'm sorry about the dreaded "e-" mention.

I appreciate the info. :)

No problem, I just didn't want to destroy the hopes and dreams of all of our fellow gaffers until someting concrete was handed down.

Crimmy

I just called my local TRU. I asked her if they was taking Playstation 3 preorders. She said "No we aren't at the moment." I said "Damn, never?" and shes got quiet and said "I didnt say that did I?"

TRU will be takin preorder I bet. I believe jetset....

Are these consoles guaranteed for launch? Or do TRU receive them a little later?

How do midnight launches go? And what stores participate? I need to get a Wii this November!

You're telling me your company doesn't have a disclaimer in sunday ads that mentions misprints or quantities..

Almost all big retailers do this and if there is a mistake they just leave a notice as people walk in or by the product saying "Misprint" or "Mis information" and they can never be sued or blamed..

I'm sure TRU does this.. if not.. thats gotta suck.

newsguy said:
Millions of people will be wondering why their prayers weren't answered, only to find out Jesus arrived in line a person too late and didn't get to put $50 on his PS3. That's right Jesus plays in 1080p... and prefers the BluRay format.
Obviously he doesn't play in 1080p if he didn't get his preorder.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Just a heads up for those lookin to camp for Sunday.
I found out out TRU has also been holding all of its TMX Elmo stock for this day as well.
I've been looking for one of these for my daughter since August with no luck as the hoarders are ridiculous and there will no doubt be campers for these as well.

You've been warned.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm curious if there's been definite confirmation for this as well.
need to get my cash thrown down on wii & twilight princess, for peace of brain.
so to speak.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
PhatSaqs said:
Just a heads up for those lookin to camp for Sunday.
I found out out TRU has also been holding all of its TMX Elmo stock for this day as well.
I've been looking for one of these for my daughter since August with no luck as the hoarders are ridiculous and there will no doubt be campers for these as well.

You've been warned.
Thanks for the heads-up.

I was planning on starting to camp in the middle of the night after being out with friends, but now I'm starting to think I'm going to have to start earlier.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sorry to bump, but is there any word on whether PS3 pre-orders are going ahead or not?

Re. the Times Square store - what time does it open on a Sunday?

If it's still going ahead I could possibly have someone there on my behalf, for whatever tiny tiny slim chance there is of getting a preorder.

sspeedy

no_to_co said:
Could you not just buy $700 worth of Tickle Me Elmos and sell those on eBay? Why always try to screw over fellow gamers?

Screw who over? Idiots who can't wait a few months and would gladly pay hundreds more? That's not my fault. If I can have that kind of control, why don't others?

Plus, I'd barely have enough $$ to buy 1-2; I'm not even sure if I'm gonna do this. I'll look more into it Wednesday night. I have to make sure it'd be profitable.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
gofreak said:
I'm sorry to bump, but is there any word on whether PS3 pre-orders are going ahead or not?

Re. the Times Square store - what time does it open on a Sunday?

If it's still going ahead I could possibly have someone there on my behalf, for whatever tiny tiny slim chance there is of getting a preorder.
Earlier in the thread someone linked to a blog that appeared to have a scan of the announcement from the Big Book catalogue, so it seems like it's still happening. I'd call the store you're planning on attending towards the week's end to try and get confirmation if possible, just in case.

Most of the stores seem to open at 10AM, but I believe you can look up the exact store hours of any location by going to the main website and entering in your zip code.

So....

Some TRU employees saying its not happening, some saying they're just saying that as they don't have details yet, some saying they're saying it for jealous reasons.

What am I supposed to believe? And should I be in front of TRU the morning of the 28th or is even that too late?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Eroding_Era said:
So....

Some TRU employees saying its not happening, some saying they're just saying that as they don't have details yet, some saying they're saying it for jealous reasons.

What am I supposed to believe? And should I be in front of TRU the morning of the 28th or is even that too late?

believe

hyp

i'm beginning to lose motivation to try and camp out for the TRU preorder. it just sounds like disappointment central from here on out. launch day is going to be a literal hell, and if sony can't meet their numbers, there are going to be a LOT of disappointed pre-orderers. i'm close to bailing out on getting a PS3 within the launch window. =\

Lee-T

There is nothing guaranteed yet. Tomorrow(Wed) there is supposed to be a conference call on the big book along with the PS3 info. It is advertised as PS3 preorders available on Sunday in the big book. BUT there is supposed to be some news on the conference call about what is going on with it. No one is sure whats happening yet. The rumors are that it will be limited to 2-4 per store or there are bundles only and they will be expensive. One store manager is even claiming that due to the limited quantities the preorders will be cancelled and he has even printed signs up stating they are sorry, but there will be no preorders. Tomorrow everyone should know for sure, though.

Lee-T said:
There is nothing guaranteed yet. Tomorrow(Wed) there is supposed to be a conference call on the big book along with the PS3 info. It is advertised as PS3 preorders available on Sunday in the big book. BUT there is supposed to be some news on the conference call about what is going on with it. No one is sure whats happening yet. The rumors are that it will be limited to 2-4 per store or there are bundles only and they will be expensive. One store manager is even claiming that due to the limited quantities the preorders will be cancelled and he has even printed signs up stating they are sorry, but there will be no preorders. Tomorrow everyone should know for sure, though.

Cool. Please keep us posted.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Lee-T said:

but the wii preorders are confirmed?

Lee-T

Yes, wii preorders are definitely happening Sunday. There are supposed to be plenty, but the exact numbers aren't out yet. Also, there will be the TMX Elmos on Sunday definitely for those who want them. Someone on cag is reporting that PS3 reserves are definite as his region had the call today. I'll post when I find out more, though.

Alts

If the pre-orders happen, but with the small 2-4 limit per store, will there be a lot of advertising for the pre-order, or simply for the launch? This limit might actually make it easier to reserve one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
zou said:
Would you guys rather go to the TRU at Times Square, or to one on Long Island?

I'm going to the one in Lake Grove (5 minutes from where I live)... I'd say the lines at the LI ones won't be as insane, though by the same token, they probably aren't getting nearly as many in... Supposedly TRU is gonna have more of both consoles than EB/GS.

TiVo

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - COLUMBIA [8363]
62041 COLUMBIA CROSSING
COLUMBIA, MD 21045
Tel: (410)872-3992
Hours:
Sun 10:00Am-6:00pm

Lining up @ midnight Sunday morning.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lee-T said:
Yes, wii preorders are definitely happening Sunday. There are supposed to be plenty, but the exact numbers aren't out yet. Also, there will be the TMX Elmos on Sunday definitely for those who want them. Someone on cag is reporting that PS3 reserves are definite as his region had the call today. I'll post when I find out more, though.
Thanks dude. I hope everything is still good to go.

By the way, whatever is decided would be nationwide, correct (i.e., not specific to any particular region or store)?

Top Bottom