• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii&PS3 pre-orders begin 10/29 at TRU

Lee-T said:
Jetsetmario is only partly correct. No preorders are to be taken until Sunday the 29th. Most stores will be getting very few(mine 4 premium, 2 regular). There will be forced bundles at some locations based on the region. I'm not sure if it's going to be a regional or a district thing, but some stores will have bundles. I'd just call your store Friday because everything will be finalized by then, but today store managers got their preorder allocations and confirmation preorders start Sunday.

I am not currently aware of any areas that will be "forcing" bundles, but it is within a DM's discretion to request their districts to do so. I seriously doubt many will take this option however as the ad makes no mention of bundles, and in fact clearly states the price of the systems on their own. Friday is the first day that stores will being speaking candidly in regards to pre-orders so that is the day to hit up your local store for info.

human5892 said:
jsm, I'm assuming whether or not a store opens early on Sunday is up to that store's discretion, correct?

Yes, that is correct. Based on payroll and availability of staff a store could make the decision to open early.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jetsetmario said:
Yes, that is correct. Based on payroll and availability of staff a store could make the decision to open early.
Thanks. Here's hoping some do to give the people who've been waiting a while a break, especially those of us in colder climates.

maynerd

Banned
So wait a sec...both PS3 and Wii preorders at TRU will be happening on 10/29? Sorry I'm confused. If so this is gonna be a mad house!

Bebpo

Banned
All I want to know is for the US Wii launch would going early to TRU on Sunday be any easier to garuantee a day #1 system than just showing up early at Best Buy for launch on launch day?

Bebpo said:
All I want to know is for the US Wii launch would going early to TRU on Sunday be any easier to garuantee a day #1 system than just showing up early at Best Buy for launch on launch day?

That's a tough one to answer. Best Buy will most likely have larger quantities. However there will also be larger quantities of shoppers out at that point. So why not give this Sunday a go and if you come up empty handed BB could always be the back up plan.

Ace R.

I just got done speaking to a worker from my local TRU. She said she can 'confirm' they will be taking pre-orders on Sunday Oct. 29th but she doesnt know how many reserves they will be taking at this time

Lee-T

My store is doing bundles, too, but the manager has not stated exactly what yet. He said he's waiting for confirmation on what to bundle.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I think I'll take a survey of my local Toys Be We Saturday night after work to see if anyone is out there. I'll probably stay awake and go every few hours or so since I live less than 5 minutes from it.

Alts

Unfortunately there aren't any Toys 'R' Us stores in San Francisco, so I am going to have to do some travelling.

Khalid-S

So, the final word is PS3 pre-orders will be on Sunday 29th ?? is anyone live in MA and planning to camp early ??

btw, what is TMX Elmos ?? :/

Khalid-S said:
So, the final word is PS3 pre-orders will be on Sunday 29th ?? is anyone live in MA and planning to camp early ??

btw, what is TMX Elmos ?? :/

TMX Elmos are the new Tickle Me Elmo dolls. They are supposed to be the big toy for the holidays.

Just know that with Elmos, PS3, and Wii all ordering at the same time, things are going to be NUTS at ToysRUs.

Toys R Us Guys:

Any word about ToysRUs.com preordering? Is that also on the 29th? I suppose that will almost definitely be bundles.

jetsetmario said:
So here is the official news:

Preorders are definitly happening for Wii and PS3 on Sunday the 29th.
Even though the rest of Big Book goes active on the 27th, the pre-orders and TMX Elmo are being held until Sunday.

Pre-orders will be for systems only-no bundles. *edit-apparently some stores are taking the asinine approach of forcing bundles. This is not nation wide. So I suppose the bundle/no bundle thing turns out to be YMMV.

Quantities vary by store.
Rough estimates are.....
Wii 12-25 per store
PS3/60G 4-10 per store
PS3/20G 1-4 per store

Few more details to add on how most stores will be handling the launch....

There will be one line at stores for everything(Wii, PS3, TMX Elmo).

Sometime before the store opens the manager will come out and distribute tickets to those in line.

Each person is allowed to purchase one of each. i.e. one Wii, one PS3, and one TMX Elmo.

Finally, for general info purposes....TRU is preordering half of what there total launch allocation is. Therefore if your store is preordering 10 Wii's than they will receive 20 Wii's at launch. 10 for the preorders and 10 for those waiting in line at launch.

I was thinking TRU would have insane quantities with all those reports but.. with only 587 stores and so few systems thats lower then other retail outlets :eek:

chaos during the holidays... begin!

jetsetmario said:
Few more details to add on how most stores will be handling the launch....

There will be one line at stores for everything(Wii, PS3, TMX Elmo).

Sometime before the store opens the manager will come out and distribute tickets to those in line.

Each person is allowed to purchase one of each. i.e. one Wii, one PS3, and one TMX Elmo.

Finally, for general info purposes....TRU is preordering half of what there total launch allocation is. Therefore if your store is preordering 10 Wii's than they will receive 20 Wii's at launch. 10 for the preorders and 10 for those waiting in line at launch.
jetsetmario, thank you for all the info!

One question: can I expect tickets to be handed out individually for each item? Like, if I'm first in line, will I get 1 ticket for Wii, 1 ticket for PS3, and 1 ticket for TMX? How does that work?

Thanks in advance!
~Cris

Lee-T

Just to confirm everything. Corporate has told stores NO BUNDLEs. If a store tries to get you to do a bundle, you can fight it. Some districts were told bundles were allowed per the manager's discretion, but they are not allowed. Also, it's up to the stores how the lines will be. We are doing a separate line for Elmos, Wiis, and PS3s, but this may change due to the mass numbers of people waiting and the confusion. We are doing 1 preorder of each per FAMILY, so if you have little kids they can't get their own items. Also, we are doing 2 Elmos per family.

Lee-T said:
Just to confirm everything. Corporate has told stores NO BUNDLEs. If a store tries to get you to do a bundle, you can fight it. Some districts were told bundles were allowed per the manager's discretion, but they are not allowed. Also, it's up to the stores how the lines will be. We are doing a separate line for Elmos, Wiis, and PS3s, but this may change due to the mass numbers of people waiting and the confusion. We are doing 1 preorder of each per FAMILY, so if you have little kids they can't get their own items. Also, we are doing 2 Elmos per family.
Wait, what would someone do if they wanted both a PS3 and Wii? Would I have to pick one and get in that line?

~Cris

From another forum:

----------------------------------------
"ok guys, my BF is the store manager for TRU in Florida, the one by Gainsville. I asked him about the ps3 and he told me that they are handing out tickets to people on Sunday midnight. He also told me that the store wont have enough supply. They will have 3 premium and about 6 core system. He himself is picking up two and I asked him to get me one. He also told me that a memo has been circulating to all TRU regarding employeee purchase. He said that employees are not allowed to buy it, but there are no punishment if they want to or had. He said that if no one showed up by Midnight, several employees will be get them lol. So, a lot of people will get shafted , even when they camped there. I guess working at a B+M store pays off during times like this"

Can anyone confirm if this is true for their store as well?

Thank you!
~Cris

human5892

Queen of Denmark
crisdecuba said:
From another forum:

"ok guys, my BF is the store manager for TRU in Florida, the one by Gainsville. I asked him about the ps3 and he told me that they are handing out tickets to people on Sunday midnight. He also told me that the store wont have enough supply. They will have 3 premium and about 6 core system. He himself is picking up two and I asked him to get me one. He also told me that a memo has been circulating to all TRU regarding employeee purchase. He said that employees are not allowed to buy it, but there are no punishment if they want to or had. He said that if no one showed up by Midnight, several employees will be get them lol. So, a lot of people will get shafted , even when they camped there. I guess working at a B+M store pays off during times like this"

Can anyone confirm if this is true for their store as well?

Thank you!
~Cris
Damn, special opening at midnight? I'm calling my TRU today, I'll let you konw if it's the same.

Lee-T

crisdecuba said:
Wait, what would someone do if they wanted both a PS3 and Wii? Would I have to pick one and get in that line?

~Cris

This was already brought up by an employee. The manager said you'd have to have someone wait in the PS3 line and someone in the Wii line, although he still thinks the Wiis will last awhile even though we don't have that many.

ikeg

Went by the San Diego store tonight and tried to get some details about the pre-order on Sunday, but the only thing they would tell me is the time the store is opening.

GET THIS: THERE IS ALREADY ONE GUY LINED UP FOR THE PS3. :lol :lol :lol

APPARENTLY HE HAD BEEN STANDING THERE ALL DAY, AND WAS PLANNING TO STAND THERE UNTIL THE STORE OPENS SUNDAY AT 10 AM.

So if anybody is planning on getting a PS3 in San Diego, you better head down there before all the places are taken :(

Happy hunting!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
jesus, what is he doing for 2 days. he better have some shit to keep him occupied, id go crazy after camping that long.

ManaByte

Bad_Boy said:
jesus, what is he doing for 2 days. he better have some shit to keep him occupied, id go crazy after camping that long.

There are actually 4-5 people at both San Diego stores now.

(why do we have two Toys R Us threads going?)

R-User!

here's my info:

-"my" store is going to have 20 pre-orders available

-store opens at 10 am

-numbers will not be used; pre-order slips will be handed out a short time before the store opens.

-guy on phone who sounded more like he knew what was up than he didn't, stated that the reason they don't hand out numbers early to get rid of people past the 20th pre-order is because a fight broke out for the X-360 last year (good job 'bots).

-I'll swing by "my" local store when I'm off at around midnight, and peep the scene, and see if lining up is necessary; I may crash in the car, or I may just go home and come back out around 5-6 am and hope that more than 10 peeps haven't shown up so that I can still make it to work by 11 am..........

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I would love it if my stores were handing out the reserve slips at midnight... no one mentioned it on the phone... so I guess I will find out at midnight!

Crimmy

Flash Flood Warning for the whole saturday morning til sunday mornin around my neck of the woods.

Camping out is definitely going to suck.....

Alts

Crimmy said:
Flash Flood Warning for the whole saturday morning til sunday mornin around my neck of the woods.

Camping out is definitely going to suck.....

Potentially epic. A brutal feat of survival for a bright blue and yellow piece of paper.

Superbone

Here's the scoop I got tonight from the Murietta, CA TRU. No PS3 pre-orders. Only sold on first come, first served basis on launch day.

Wollan

So.. anyone in line with internet? I've read that there's several places where there are more people in line than there will be pre-orders.

Wollan said:
So.. anyone in line with internet? I've read that there's several places where there are more people in line than there will be pre-orders.
i'm in line here at alhambra, california. people around me are freezing. some have to leave for work. for about 9 hours. 7 people in line. 7 sixty gigs. i'm pretty warm though. lol.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Is it up to individual stores to decide if they want to offer pre-orders or not? I just called my TRU and they claimed they weren't doing any at all, but it's certainly conceivable that they're lying. On the other hand, I don't want to wait all night for nothing.

Top Bottom