• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: a 2 TB HDD is a waste.

I think i have a 500 gb or 250 gb or i forget lol, but i got like 3 hard drives that i bought over the years, i'll use the one i had homebrewed for my wii u , the end of that one :(

100 TB for me next next generation B^)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Im implying that they do not care. If they wanted those features, theyd have them to match the 360. Clearly Nintendo is banking on the Wii U being your streaming box for other services like netflix and hulu.

Yeah they are.

And again, that didn't stop PS3 to get them later on its life too.

With that said I'm not expecting anything much outside of that for media services.

It can be affordable when ya don't buy anything at all

external HDDs are cheap.

Glass Joe

Best Buy has a $40 500GB on sale Black Friday

That ain't bad at all. Not that I'm gonna run out on Black Friday though, screw that haha. I've been poking around locally and online for deals and haven't found anything great. Maybe Cyber Monday if that's still a thing will turn up something good.

I really don't plan on downloading retail games anyway. E-shop I'll be active on if there's content. Same with VC. But I'll wait till there's reason to expand before doing so.

Has anyone read or commented on how noisy the system is? My Xbox 360 was basically unbearable before they added the ability to install games completely...... if they hadn't done that I doubt I would have played even 1/10th the amount of it I have done since.

I plan to be all retail as usual but thats one advantage of downloadable games I guess, quiet disc drive!

Comandr

Is there an installation feature for discs?

Isn't the disc drive supposed to be extremely fast? Some 22mb/s I thought I read somewhere. So that being said, read speeds from the disc might actually be just as fast or faster than USB (at optimum speeds)

Azriell

I don't plan on buying many games digitally, but I'm holding out for another Wii-esque endgame, where I can backup and play all of my games from a hard drive, and not worry so much about my kids ruining them. I'll get a decent sized HDD for that possible future alone.

I own about 40 games for Wii, and most of them are great games that I'm glad to own. I expect Wii U to end up around the same point, because of it being in it's own technology group again. Of course most of those probably won't be 25gb.

I've got a 320gb hdd I'll use for now. 1tb will probably end up being enough, but in 5 years the price of 2tb may well be low enough to warrant a purchase just for the hell of it.

Drago

i'd just check amazon.com tbh.

I was thinking that too...

I'll just see how it goes, if I miss a deal / there's nothing good online then I'll just fork over a bit of extra cash for one, I guess

Crowds normally clear out from best buy by 12pm. At least in my experience as a worker and a shopper.

and most come for the tv and laptops.

Maybe I'll just call my Best Buy midday Friday and check to see if they have any left then. Thanks for the help! Just hope I get a HDD after all of this

It can be affordable when ya don't buy anything at all

Don't need to buy anything.

What the hell do I need to buy a HDD for? Games? They already come on a disc!

Wii U can hold all the VC and Wiiware games I own, and let's face it, I already have a ton of Wii accessories from last gen.

In fact, the Wii U is saving me 150 dollars (the cost to repair my Wii with Nintendo: the disc drive crapped out years ago).

Comandr

Noise and wear and tear are reasons for installation beyond loading/speed.

Guess it isn't necessary but it would be a nice feature.

True enough. I wonder how loud the drive is? A lot of little tidbits of information haven't really been talked about.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would need that much to install all of my Steam games. I say it's not enough.

Remember when you had to delete old saves to make room for new ones?

Moar: Nintendo has OBVIOUSLY never been concerned with "What the other guys are doing."
No one is stopping you from buying the biggest hdd around and using it to store the potential array of video files that Nintendo will potentially support with their potential video player.

I just kind of doubt that theyll ever get in that space when theyve shown no intention for their consumers to consume media in that way on their devices.

Medalion

Banned
Getting a Deluxe Wii-U to get the Nintendo Network Premium then to not be downloading games seems kinda odd, unless that wasn't the reason ya got it, but that just seems like a handy thing to pay itself off after a few purchases

Somnid

This is not true; what do you think the point of SMART is? What do you think happens when you get a bad block but the hard drive otherwise works fine? Even on the most naive level, what kind of indication do you think a mechanical click is? How do you account for all the cases of "dead" hard drives where people manage to spin them up and get some, but not all of their data off the drive?

Indicators are almost always that a part of the drive has already failed, meaning it's not about to die, you've already started to lose data. Even then a huge percentages of failures are catastrophic. The idea that you will know or predict with any accuracy when it happens is almost naive. If it's sensitive it needs to be in multiple places at all times.

Drago

Getting a Deluxe Wii-U to get the Nintendo Network Premium then to not be downloading games seems kinda odd, unless that wasn't the reason ya got it, but that just seems like a handy thing to pay itself off after a few purchases

The promotion only seems really worth it if you will be going digital for all retail games (a free NES game with every retail game purchase, basically), and since I won't be doing that the entire promotion seems pretty worthless from my perspective. I just want a lot of storage that will last me a good 5-6 years. Hopefully 500GB will be more than enough

Won't be inter-operable with PCs?

Maybe with your PC.
lvEyC.gif

Comandr

No one is stopping you from buying the biggest hdd around and using it to store the potential array of video files that Nintendo will potentially support with their potential video player.

I just kind of doubt that theyll ever get in that space when theyve shown no intention for their consumers to consume media in that way on their devices.

I agree with you on that. I just don't think buying a HDD for use with the Wii U should skew people's perspectives to believe that you can ONLY use that HDD for the Wii U for the rest of your life. Some day down the line, when the Super Wii U Next comes out, its just as likely that the HDD that you have all those games on will be compatible with the new system, much like your current SD card works for the Wii emulator. Or you could get sick of Nintendo and format your 2TB HDD in a screaming fit of fury, renouncing consoles forever and then immediately fill up your shiny new-old drive with Steam sales and GoG.

/shrug

A decent 2tb drive isn't a lot more than a 1tb. I look at it as an investment that I can repurpose one day should I choose to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Retail games drop in price pretty fast though

Top Bottom