• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: a 2 TB HDD is a waste.

EDarkness

Maybe 2TB is overkill, but I'd prefer to never have to think about storage space again. I can install whatever I want and as much as I want without worry. Right now it doesn't seem like I'll be downloading that many games, but I want to reserve the right to do so should the time come. Might even consider buying retail games that way depending on if there are any sales.

My 250GB 360 isn't even a third full, but only because I'm always worried about space so I install, save, very few games. It's a headache and I hope to not have that problem on the Wii U.

tenchir

Staples had a portable external 1TB drive on sale for 69.99 a few days ago. I am planning to use a 256GB SSD for longevity purpose(minimal write).

Before you go rush out and buy the biggest possible HDD for the Wii U, consider the following.

1 TB = 1024 GB.
2 TB = 2048 GB.

New Super Mario Bros. U is 1.8 GB.
Nintendo Land is is 3.2 GB.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition is 16.7 GB.
Wii U discs are up to 25 GB.

A 1 TB HDD can theoretically store 568 copies of NSMBU, 320 copies of Nintendo Land, 61 copies of TTT2, or 40 games at a full 25 GB each.
A 2 TB HDD can theoretically store 1137 copies(!) of NSMBU, 640 copies of Nintendo Land, 122 copies of TTT2, or 81 games at a full 25 GB each.

As external HDDs formatted for the Wii U won't be inter-operable with PCs, be sure to think about how many Wii U games you'll be downloading over the course of the generation before you waste money on an excessively large storage device.

Well Im sure you can just format the HDD once youre done with it on Wii U. You just cant go back and forth for whatever file system they are using

KarmaCow

Between the few people saying they were going to carry their Wii U around to use as a ghetto handheld and now this SSD talk, my mind is honestly blown.

tenchir

There's nothing wrong with using an SSD if you have one lying around or can afford it. Assuming cost isn't an issue, then SSD are just plain better. I'm using it because they can last up to 10 years.

tenchir

USB 3.0 won't work on WiiU :(

It will work, unless you mean the speed? While it would have been nice to have that speed, I could see why Nintendo wouldn't support it when it was explained to me such as chipset immaturity and loading issues between players in multiplayer games.

Kamille

Someone mentioned the Wii U can't play media, is that confirmed to be true? If it is, I'll certainly go with a smaller HDD than I had originally planned.

Grief.exe

It will work, unless you mean the speed? While it would have been nice to have that speed, I could see why Nintendo wouldn't support it when it was explained to me such as chipset immaturity and loading issues between players in multiplayer games.

Ya I remember playing BC2 on PC on my SSD and I would load in a minute or more before other people and you can capture points while they are still loading in.

That's why in CS:GO there is a warmup round for 30 seconds before the match actually starts.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I don't plan on buying any full digital games unless they are incredibly cheap so 500Gb will be more than enough for my saves and the odd Wii U Ware title.

Tobe

can we install games on the wiiu like the 360? seriously this needs to be a feature for every next gen console.

Medalion

Banned
can we install games on the wiiu like the 360? seriously this needs to be a feature for every next gen console.

I am going to go with the answer no because it doesn't have a traditional hard drive like 360 or PS3, it's memory is just flash

Unfortunately no, but you can download full games, and Nintendo is trying to get as many developers to offer them for download as possible by giving them HUGE bonuses. And of course all first-party games will be downloadable.

smr00

Banned
Seeing as i haven't even filled 40% of my 250gb 360 and maybe 30-35% of my 250gb PS3 my TB HDD will last a life time. I don't buy full games digitally, i prefer physical so the only thing going on these drives is installs (if that works) and E-Shop only games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No kidding. But if I can score a decently priced 2TB USB 2.0 on Black Friday, I'll just use a 500gb partition for the Wii U and the remaining for backing up my PCs.

No kidding. But if I can score a decently priced 2TB USB 2.0 on Black Friday, I'll just use a 500gb partition for the Wii U and the remaining for backing up my PCs.

You can't, the Wii U does a full format with its own file format, it won't work on PC after being formatted for Wii U.

Edit: Beaten like a dirty whore!

tenchir

I would say it would depend on the developers. They could make it that if a HDD is detected, it will give you the option of installing the game for faster loading.

Linkup

I think it may be a rush to say it's a waste. You certainly won't have 122 games worth playing on Wii U but over 50 is certainly possible and some bought that many on one of the last gen consoles. Take into account game saves, game/console updates, eShop titles, DLC, larger dual layer games later on, and things like F2P MMO etc. If you are going mostly digital you certainly could make use of a 1TB HDD. If you had over 50 Wii games between retail and Wiiware than who knows.

My 500GB PS3 HDD was full so I had to install a bigger one. I have 200 PSN games in my hard drive which includes full games that has filled up my card. in addition, I have 200GB worth of songs and I have shit load of movies ripped from my DVD and bluray collection that I need to upload but can't.

2TB is nothing...

TheExodu5

Banned
Are there any performance requirements for the HDD, or is that not known yet?

What's Nintendo's policy for redownloading games.

I'm tempted to go digital with WiiU for convenience, but don't want to back myself into a corner by doing so.

My 500GB PS3 HDD was full so I had to install a bigger one. I have 200 PSN games in my hard drive which includes full games that has filled up my card. in addition, I have 200GB worth of songs and I have shit load of movies ripped from my DVD and bluray collection that I need to upload but can't.

2TB is nothing...

That's great, but no media playback features have been announced.

Are there any performance requirements for the HDD, or is that not known yet?

Use one with its own power cord or a Y-shaped USB cable to use 2 ports on the Wii U.

What's Nintendo's policy for redownloading games.

Not sure. I believe you've been able to on the 3DS, as ambassador games have gotten updates. I've never deleted anything to try.

Eusis

I would say it would depend on the developers. They could make it that if a HDD is detected, it will give you the option of installing the game for faster loading.
Thing is with how fast the Wii U's drive is supposed to be and how slow USB 2.0 is it probably won't be worthwhile. If they supported USB 3.0 however then it'd probably be blindingly obvious.

TheExodu5

Banned
Use one with its own power cord or a Y-shaped USB cable to use 2 ports on the Wii U.

2 USB ports? I have a USB drive that has never failed to be properly powered off one USB port. Can't say I've ever seen a 2.5" drive that requires 2 USB ports (though I'm sure they exist).

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Just wait for black friday or boxing day.

Someone mentioned the Wii U can't play media, is that confirmed to be true? If it is, I'll certainly go with a smaller HDD than I had originally planned.
I wouldn't really say this yet. From my understanding you just can't use your Wii formated Hd with a Pc ( I'm hoping for some kind of work around this, or update in future) but you should still be able to download movies from services like amazon prime if that's a feature of it Via Tvii I believe? Or any other video services Nintendo adds............I hope

Top Bottom