• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: a 2 TB HDD is a waste.

netBuff

Well, in terms of price per gigabyte or whatever, 2tb is the "sweet spot" for 3.5" drives. I can see why someone would want to get one of those and have it serve two purposes. It's cheaper than getting two 1tb drives anyway.

I don't see it. Constantly lunging a 3,5" hard drive enclosure (which all require their own power supply) between two devices that are often even used a the same time isn't remotely practical.

Eusis

Honest question then i'm out: What would be the use of buying a SSD for the Wii U as an external drive if youre getting 1/2 - 1/20 the SSD's transfer rate because of USB 2.0?
I think the idea is that you go for the other advantages (lower power, no moving parts, runs cool), but that only works once the SSD prices/sizes are comparable to what we're seeing here. Or if you're insane and stupidly rich, then well fuck it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does any device do that? I can't think of any device or OS that requires no other partitions.
The only other time I've connected an HDD to a console was to do a PS3 back up, so I have no idea. I suppose someone can try it out this Sunday to see what happens.

I don't see it. Constantly lunging a 3,5" hard drive enclosure (which all require their own power supply) between two devices that are often even used a the same time isn't remotely practical.
Eh, I don't know either... but then again, I have like 10 2tb/3tb drives lying around my desk, so I'm not the best judge of storage usage. lol

Drager

Banned
I don't think an SSD would be a good idea for the same reason Nintendo isn't recommending the use of USB flash drives.

I bought a 3TB drive from NewEgg a week or so ago because they were running a promo that made it the same price as a 2TB. No skin off my back if that 1TB doesn't get used.

Michan

Honest question then i'm out: What would be the use of buying a SSD for the Wii U as an external drive if youre getting 1/2 - 1/20 the SSD's transfer rate because of USB 2.0?

There isn't much of a noticeable difference in the setup outside of what netBuff mentioned, although bear in mind that SSDs are a hell of a lot more durable due to the lack of moving components. It will also be a more future-proof upgrade if you want to use it for any other USB 3/internal setup in the future.

I'm not suggesting you go for an SSD, as they are a magnitude more expensive than SATA drives at the moment – I'm just illustrating the point that if your disk consumption is consistently low over a long period of time, it's more cost effective to buy "smaller" drives frequently than it is to buy an excessively large drive up-front that'll last you 3 - 5 years.

xemumanic

I would say 2 TB is a bit much (a 1 TB is probably enough) but HDD prices are dropping again, but most importantly, its not very smart to compare space requirements today, to what may be in the future. As an owner of an original 20 GB 360 (5 free RROD repairs), I can tell you that 32 GB isn't going to be enough. Also, I think the Wii U seems to be getting underestimated in this regard, because its a Nintendo platform.

Considering a HDD is never 100% available and the OS takes (initially) ~5GB, if you put NOTHING but games on the HDD, you'd be closer to 35 full disc games (25GB). Considering most would be far less than the 25GB, you're likely around 40 games.

However, I think its obvious to assume WiiU will grow in applications and digital media support. The 3DS can play movies and music, etc. I'd bet the WiiU will have support to download and store media from your network/web at some point if its not there already.

This is where it all comes into play and why Nintendo said eventually, they'll add support for more than one HDD at a time. You have to anticipate that the system could be your end all TV media storage device. That has to be part of Nintendo's plan with its full Nintendo TVii feature.

However, your advice to take a wait and see approach if you have the Deluxe model, makes a lot of sense. HDD prices drop rapidly and if and when you need that storage that first TB could be cheap. At least that's my plan.

tenchir

I don't think an SSD would be a good idea for the same reason Nintendo isn't recommending the use of USB flash drives.

I bought a 3TB drive from NewEgg a week or so ago because they were running a promo that made it the same price as a 2TB. No skin off my back if that 1TB doesn't get used.

A SSD is completely different than a USB Flash Drive, they are not comparable. I'm using a SSD not for it's speed, but for it's reliability. There isn't a high chance of a catastrophic data loss if you drop an SSD for example. It will also not wear out as fast as a HDD(motor) based on wear-level algorithim and low heat output. I'm using a 256GB size SSD because I haven't even used up a third of the space on my PS3/XBOX360 with installed games. I got a 256GB for less than $120, so I think I made a good choice considering I don't think I will ever fill it up. I mostly buy retail anyway.

The speed of an SSD is wasted when its connected through a USB2.0 connection. A good USB 2.0 HDD is the best option for WiiU.

DonMigs85

1TB should be more than enough and you can get such a drive already in an enclosure for less than $90.
Wii U won't support USB 3.0 either right?

Thoraxes

How many people have filled up 500GB PS3s?

I imagine in the future Wii U games will get larger. There will probably be 50GB Wii U discs, and games will probably begin to commonly exceed 15 or 20GB.

Also, just for the hell of it, I imagine it's possible for the Wii U to playback videos and things off of the HDD with some kind of native video player. It'll at least have a photo viewer I'm sure. I have no idea why no console manufacturer has advertised the fact that you can use it to view all those high res digital photos on your TV screen.

I haven't even filled up 30GB of my 120GB PS3.

Does any device do that? I can't think of any device or OS that requires no other partitions.

yea... this

if we know the sort of formatting that the Wii is looking for before connecting a USB drive (FAT32 right?) then are we sure the system wont just identify whatever it can and go from there?

this is important, and I dont think that this external HDD functionality has been locked out of early review consoles sent out that dont have the update yet. can we enlist a GAFer to experiment with the USB storage stuff?

Medalion

Banned
What is the likelihood there is a partitioning function builtin to this thing?

Doesn't sound Nintendo... Simplicity above all else

Eusis

Also, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, digital gamers. Make sure to have a back-up HDD handy and back-up frequently, IMO.
I'd worry about that with game saves, not games. Not unless they ARE stupid and decide to do the "let's bundle save data and game data together!", in which case I think I'm going to hate Apple forever.

KissVibes

Banned
Considering all my purchases on the next wave of platforms will be digital-only, I'm sure I'll buy more than 81 25GB games. Not to mention all the smaller downloadable stuff I'll end up buying too. I'll probably end up needing more than 2TB, if I was to buy a Wii U. I know I'll need more with Xbox The Third and PS4

Also, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, digital gamers. Make sure to have a back-up HDD handy and back-up frequently, IMO.

How would you propose doing that? A Wii U-formatted HDD can be used only with the Wii U that formatted it, and you cannot copy software, only move.

You realize that the partition is part of the disk operating system, right? If Nintendo doesn't choose something your PC can read (FAT32, NTFS, or exFAT), then your PC won't be able to understand what a partition on it is, let alone be able to format the partition or write data to it. So it's not that the DOS wouldn't support multiple partitions, it's that the entire DOS would be incompatible with Windows.

ghostmind

I've got a drawer of WD Passports here - the older ones have a USB2.0 connector, while the newest are USB 3.0. Hoping the newer one will work with Wii U, as it has seen far less mileage.

And the external HD is pretty much mandatory on the 3 GB Wii U.

Doesn't the manual say games also can't be played from external HDD's? What happens when you buy a retail game digitally that's larger than 3GB? That's gonna become a SERIOUS issue down the line when download cards become more popular. Those deluxe sets could appreciate in value pretty quickly.

EDIT: misread, see several posts below

I have around a 100 PSN titles downloaded, some of those are in that 10GB range a pop.

Having a 500GB drive it's constantly full. So i would not overestimate with the 1TB drive. 2 might be stretching it unless you are storing movies in there.

hodgy100

I'm just ghoing to use an old protable drive i have, fished the HDD out of a laptop and put it in a caddy, only 120GB (110 available) but it should be fine for what i need

Doesn't the manual say games also can't be played from external HDD's? What happens when you buy a retail game digitally that's larger than 3GB? That's gonna become a SERIOUS issue down the line when download cards become more popular. Those deluxe sets could appreciate in value pretty quickly.

I've seen no such manual text. Do you have a scan?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just ghoing to use an old protable drive i have, fished the HDD out of a laptop and put it in a caddy, only 120GB (110 available) but it should be fine for what i need
The FAQ thing says that bus powered drives may not work, for what that's worth.

PhantomR

Banned
So at my local Best Buy, an external 500gb hard drive is $80. The 2TB hard drive I purchased was on sale for $110. So, 4 times the storage, for only $30 bucks more? That ain't waste, that's just a damn good deal. Hence the 2TB.

I've seen no such manual text. Do you have a scan?

Maybe it's not the manual, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that games cannot be played directly from an external hard-drive. I may be wrong though.

EDIT: I misread, it's FLASH drives that can't be used to play games from that was specifically mentioned.

RkOwnage

Probably gonna pick up a 500gb HDD for sale on Black Friday if I can find one, that should be enough for me. I still like buying physical disc copies of games, eff digital, I have nothing to show off !

neoanarch

You realize that the partition is part of the disk operating system, right? If Nintendo doesn't choose something your PC can read (FAT32, NTFS, or exFAT), then your PC won't be able to understand what a partition on it is, let alone be able to format the partition or write data to it. So it's not that the DOS wouldn't support multiple partitions, it's that the entire DOS would be incompatible with Windows.

I've never had a problems using a HD with two partition types, Ubuntu and w7/w8/xp. Windows won't recognize the Linux partition but it doesn't make it unusable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So at my local Best Buy, an external 500gb hard drive is $80. The 2TB hard drive I purchased was on sale for $110. So, 4 times the storage, for only $30 bucks more? That ain't waste, that's just a damn good deal. Hence the 2TB.
The argument is that by the time you need 2TB, the drives will be cheaper/technology will be better.

Ashler

I have around a 100 PSN titles downloaded, some of those are in that 10GB range a pop.

Having a 500GB drive it's constantly full. So i would not overestimate with the 1TB drive. 2 might be stretching it unless you are storing movies in there.

Its not really that hard, tbh. Between all my DLC's, game patches to support DLC even if you do not buy it, PSN titles, Full free PS+ games from the store + about 130 Singstar songs that my wife bought... it kind of creeps up on you.

If you take into consideration the growth of digital content from the last generation to this 'new' generation of consoles, its pretty much guaranteed that (depending on your gaming habits) you will need more space.

Gee, a disc install function would be very nice. It would certainly save the optical drive from wear and tear. The unfortunate reality is that Nintendo probably doesn't even consider this option. :(

I got my PS3 in late 2008 and my 620 GB HD can't hold all of my digital content at this point. I expect day one digital releases to increase in the future. So I don't see how 1-2 TB is too big. Like, not at all.

I've been out of the loop, is the Wii U's disc format basically Blu-ray?
I have my 90 PS2 games and 40 Blu-rays ripped to a 2.5 TB hard drive and it's a tiny fraction of the drive's space. People really overestimate this stuff.
Yikes, you must have compressed those to hell.

I've been out of the loop, is the Wii U's disc format basically Blu-ray?

It's not Blu-ray.

But it is Blu-ray.

The specifications sound identical, it's just not called that--presumably because calling it Blu-ray would indicate some sort of licensing agreement with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Which would mean paying monies to someone else.

And of course, Nintendo ain't having any of that nonsense.

Any ideas on a good drive to get considering the new info? I'm probably going to jump on a black friday deal somewhere, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm looking for.

So you can buy bran new games just released on WIIU off of their online store?

All Nintendo titles and some third party titles are available, day one, from eShop. It's up to the publisher.

Why buy a 1 or 2TB HDD when you can get a 128GB SSD instead?
:D

As has been mentioned several times before, not only would any gains in read speed would be bottlenecked by the USB 2.0 interface, but it's also much more expensive, and you may exceed write limits.

Top Bottom