• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: a 2 TB HDD is a waste.

jonno394

question, suppose i used up 160gb for the wii u games. and i need a bigger hd. how i can transfer files from the 160gb to the other one? since as mentioned pc will not recognize wii u's file system.

I was led to believe that you could Plug two HDD in to the Wii U's available USB slots and transfer it using the system data management software.

(can someone please confirm this is right....)

roddur

I was led to believe that you could Plug two HDD in to the Wii U's available USB slots and transfer it using the system data management software.

(can someone please confirm this is right....)

yeah you are right. in last ND it was mentioned that user can plug in 2 HDs, but that feature not available at launch. forgot about this multiple HD tidbit.

Tovarisch

My body is ready!
8PMqQ.jpg

Theonik

I've had a reliable one for years that's plenty fast. Just don't get some cheap off brand HDD. The USB 2.0 port is going to be the bottleneck, not the HDD.

You have a point with reliability. Besides that read post #351. I have no doubt, that over the console lifespan it's going to be fairly easy to fill up 1TB when you buy a lot of games. And the amount of day one digital releases of retail titles will only increase next gen.
See, I can see how one can fill it by the end of the gen, but by the time you do (sometime in the middle of that gen) you could probably buy a 4TB drive for the premium you paid to go for over 1TB now.
Remember also that Nintendo is probably not doing media playback and sticking to their streaming services. Probably even for trailers and such.

Dereck

question, suppose i used up 160gb for the wii u games. and i need a bigger hd. how i can transfer files from the 160gb to the other one? since as mentioned pc will not recognize wii u's file system.
I doubt that there will not be freeware for PCs by that point that will allow you to do so.

EDIT: disregard that

Correct my ignorance, but why is there a need for external storage with the Wii U? Is Nintendo making a major push for Day-1 digital releases of titles? Are people expecting that much digital content otherwise?

KarmaCow

Correct my ignorance, but why is there a need for external storage with the Wii U? Is Nintendo making a major push for Day-1 digital releases of titles? Are people expecting that much digital content otherwise?

Nintendo is trying to get day 1 digital releases. All first party games will be there day 1 and looking at the eshop on the 3DS, just today they added 4 third party releases.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Half the launch line up and every single Nintendo published game except for the one that comes with a microphone.

Nintendo has said that unless the game comes with something physical from them they'll put it online.

I'll probably do somewhere between 500 and 750GB. I don't plan on buying a lot of digital retail titles, but I like having the space regardless.

So will these external drives just need to sit side by side with the Wii U console? I don't imagine you could actually slide them into the system lol

If it works out that devs keep back porting next-gen Xbox 720/PS4 games to Wii U throughout the generation (which I think is more plausible than back porting 360/PS3 to Wii) we're going to see more and more Wii U games creeping up to the 25GB mark going forward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry but downloading full games(large sizes) is only good on pc.

in some ways I prefer downloading large games on PS3. I can treat it more like a CE device than a computer - fire off a bunch of large downloads, then set it to shutdown when finished and just leave it.

2TB is fine by me. I'd rather be overkill on this (for so little money too) than end up running out of space if the Wii U ends up being the most awesomest console ever.

Eusis

What's the difference?
You never get good deals on console games.

... Although, that isn't fully correct. So far I think only the Xbox has been terrible there, you can get some solid offers over PSN (and with PS+ you can get several huge ones for free), and for the PSP there were fairly frequent deals that made it almost as good as Steam sometimes, but even if not the prices were low enough, or retail availability scarce enough that it was VERY appealing. Well, and discs being more obnoxious to switch on a portable system while traveling versus a console that you'll only play at home.

Couldn't see this mentioned in the thread, but bear Kryder's Law in mind. Disk space increases as years go by, while price stays the same.

Hard_drive_capacity_over_time.svg

Think about how many games you're going to buy in year 1. It may be more cost effective to buy a small drive (say, 40 - 80GB) and then re-buy when you're low on space, especially with the rapidly falling prices of SSDs.

Another thing to remember here is that a lot of the cost of a drive is materials - which stay the same, it's mostly the processes that improve over time. Price of drives don't scale nearly as much as one would think they do.

Another thought is that the cost of repeated drive purchases are likely to add up to being more than buying a 2tb drive now for $110.

The cheapest 500 gig on Newegg is $60. The cheapest 1TB is $80.

Even a 500 gig + a 1tb drive is going to blow by the cost of a 2tb drive, and that 2tb drive is a fairly major brand and has fairly good ratings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471

The smart bet is to by the 2tb drive.

denshuu

This part is a joke.

"We want you guys to primarily rely on external storage via USB, so you can buy as much storage as you want. Great idea, right? What's that? Will we be using the most recent USB technology that now comes standard on every other electronic device you can think of? Nah, let's go to the one that's 1/10th as fast, even though the cost is nearly identical."

Come the fuck on, Nintendo.

Theonik

Another thing to remember here is that a lot of the cost of a drive is materials - which stay the same, it's mostly the processes that improve over time. Price of drives don't scale nearly as much as one would think they do.

Another thought is that the cost of repeated drive purchases are likely to add up to being more than buying a 2tb drive now for $110.

Even a 500 gig + a 1tb drive is going to blow by the cost of a 2tb drive, and that 2tb drive is a fairly major brand and has fairly good ratings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136471

The way HDD cost scales is with platter density increasing. We are a expected to see HDD sizes go up by 2-3X in 2013. Smaller drives will then drop in prices as they are cheaper to make. (a 2TB drive made with platters of double density would cost nearly half as much to make etc)
This part is a joke.

"We want you guys to primarily rely on external storage via USB, so you can buy as much storage as you want. Great idea, right? What's that? Will we be using the most recent USB technology that now comes standard on every other electronic device you can think of? Nah, let's go to the one that's 1/10th as fast, even though the cost is nearly identical."

Come the fuck on, Nintendo.
2.0 is the one that is commonly offered. 3.0 is still pretty pricy hell if you got a PC with an intel Motherboard last year you wouldn't get any Intel USB 3.0 support, Intel's chi sets only supported it since the Z77 chipset this year. Note that USB2.0 should still be faster than Optical drives typically are.

denshuu

2.0 is the one that is commonly offered. 3.0 is still pretty pricy hell if you got a PC with an intel Motherboard last year you wouldn't get any Intel USB 3.0 support, Intel's chi sets only supported it since the Z77 chipset this year. Note that USB2.0 should still be faster than Optical drives typically are.

This was the case one or two years ago. It's not anymore. Even the cheap budget Dell Latitudes have USB 3.0 standard. In fact, digging through every budget notebook and desktop offered by a major manufacturer, I can't find any that are still putting USB 2.0 in their machines. And this is ignoring the fact that these are just personal computers whose primary functions don't rely solely on USB throughput like the Wii U's does. Even if it was more expensive and still nonstandard, it should be there.

Eusis

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471

It's also possible that IF SSDs work and IF we get them cheap enough at a good size for Wii U, we'd be able to grab one, move all our old data over to that SSD, then use the 2 TB drive for computer stuff.

Besides, there's also the angle as I recall that more space left open = faster the drive can be, and I do think as my PS3 drive got stuffed it's been running slower.

PerZona

There are a lot of companies behind Bluray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_developers

It is not because of "they dont want to pay Sony", but it is because of cutting costs. Better piracy protection could be a factor as well indeed.

Ah yes, was wondering since Sony is not the only one behind Blu-ray. And even if Nintendo had no choice to pay to Sony I'm guessing they would.

Piracy and cutting costs eh? Since Nintendo will be the only company using these discs which are manufactured from Panasonic I guess piracy is not a issue to them. Do they even sell these discs to the public?

Spinluck

I like the Wii U cases, I will most like stick to physical copies, unless there are must have downloadable games.

EDIT: It's not like this is a multimedia system. No music, no movies/shows. What's the point of 2TB? Lol.

Eusis

Needs a Dragon Warrior one. Because, seriously, Dragon Quest X's going to want to be installed, and it'll kill the onboard memory if it's there.
EDIT: It's not like this is a multimedia system. No music, no movies/shows. What's the point of 2TB? Lol.
I think it's basically a matter of "why not?", the cost between 1 TB and 2 TB can be shockingly little depending on the selected drive. Something like 15 for the WD external powered ones.

I won't be going digital except for small arcade type games and patches - 32 GB is more than enough. If they supported games installs I'd get a 500GB.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
See, I can see how one can fill it by the end of the gen, but by the time you do (sometime in the middle of that gen) you could probably buy a 4TB drive for the premium you paid to go for over 1TB now.
Remember also that Nintendo is probably not doing media playback and sticking to their streaming services. Probably even for trailers and such.
Are you able to use multiple external HDDs or does Nintendo's DRM lock you to one drive per console? Because you may not be able to transfer your content over to another HDD. Worst case scenario is that you have to re-download everything on the new drive.

Juice

I have an idea, lets wait to see if we use up the 32GB BEFORE we plug a drive in!

I'm looking forward to my Wii U, but if its anything like the Wii it's going to take me a year or two to fill the built-in flash.

2TB is excessive, but anyone with playstation plus knows how quickly even a 160GB+ HD can fill up.

Ill try to find a 500GB unless the price difference is so minuscule as to be silly not to get more.

Mudkips

Banned
Any word on partitioning yet?

The first thing I intend to do is format an external drive on the Wii U and then poke at it on my PC to see wtf Nintendo is doing.

Of course, I don't have a preorder. KMart at 7 AM, Bestbuy at 11 AM, or bust.

Theonik

Are you able to use multiple external HDDs or does Nintendo's DRM lock you to one drive per console? Because you may not be able to transfer your content over to another HDD. Worst case scenario is that you have to re-download everything on the new drive.
At launch you can only use one, but Iwata said they intend to let you use multiple HDDs at the same time. We don't know about what backup methods Nintendo intends to allow at this point.
Iwata's statement seems to imply that you will be able to switch HDDs at will since launch.

JimboJones

So self powered USB HDDs should work with the WiiU ??

or do I have to buy one with external power source ?

what about SSDs ??

Self powered will work but they reccommend using USB Y cable to connect them to the WiiU just in case but i'm guessing in most cases it will be fine with a standard cable

SSD's will work but you I doubt you will gain any benifits from using one.

Theonik

Self powered will work but they reccommend using USB Y cable to connect them to the WiiU just in case but i'm guessing in most cases it will be fine with a standard cable

SSD's will work but you I doubt you will gain any benifits from using one.
You wouldn't get the full speeds out of them but you might actually see some benefits from them by cutting seek times.

Top Bottom