• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Belgium bomba - Premium 99€

mangel_js

Neo Member
Nintendo needs to cut the price by 50% in order to sell their new Console.

They need to change their Marketing strategy as soon as possible.

They may lose money by doing that, but software is there. They can gain money from that.

2014 is a year with lots of games for Wii U.

meppi

Did you make this up or did this actually happen? I mean people getting fired at mediamarkt for such a thing.

That's how I heard the story last year. Heard it from several people actually which got it from the newspaper I guess.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got this bundle for myself a few days ago (Pikmin wasn't really part of it but they gave me a voucher for that so that I could get it for €30)
WiiU Deluxe+Mario&LuigiU+Nintendoland+ZombiU++Pikmin 3+Wii Remote Plus bkack+nunchuck+2 official screen protectors =€300

Kouriozan

Saw the vid. Dude smashes a PS3 into the floor HAHA

robin-o.gif

Prez

I wonder if anyone took a Wii U and hid it somewhere else in the store at closing time so they could take it the next day.

3bdelilah

Banned
Got this bundle for myself a few days ago (Pikmin wasn't really part of it but they gave me a voucher for that so that I could get it for €30)
WiiU Deluxe+Mario&LuigiU+Nintendoland+ZombiU++Pikmin 3+Wii Remote Plus bkack+nunchuck+2 official screen protectors =€300

Not bad, where if I may ask?

3bdelilah

Banned
Pathetic attempt for publicity, really. But hell I'd be happy as shit if I've gotten one for that price. Still waiting for a Zelda U bundle.

Let's say there were 50 Wii U available and they were sold in half a minute (the time people needed to rush into the store and grab one).

That's 100 consoles per minute, 6k per hour, 144k per day and 4.3 million per month. In just one shop. Fastest selling console ever. Take that, Major Nelson!

haha this never disappoints

That guy at 0:40

HE THREW A PS3 ON THE FLOOR

WTF

One handed? This guy is Hulk 2.0!

Whoa I had no idea, and I have a giant 220v down-converter sitting next to my TV just for the Wii U and gamepad. Why you no tell us Nintendo?

I'd say that they were 'just' out of spec. Voltage transmission changes with different conditions, temperature, house/street wiring etc, so the 220v/240v can sometimes be as low as ~190v and as high as ~270v. If your house/area has really bad wiring or is prone to surges then well... maybe expect a *boom*; but 99% chance it should be fine. Everyone knows that Nintendo are overly cautious.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Now I'm curious. What's wrong with working at MediaMarkt?
The only reason I can think about is getting serious diseases from all the radiation and electro smog coming off all these TV's, Computers, Laptops etc etc...

It depends on what department you'll be working at.

I've been cashier, service employee and salesman at three separate Mediamarkt stores over the years.
Salesman is okay-ish, if you don't mind an extremely competitive atmosphere and an obnoxious profit-first mindset drilled into you from your superiors.

But service, god-damn. It's hell.

If you're going to work there, try looking for a job as salesman in the gaming or entertainment department. That's a pretty laid back job.

It depends on what department you'll be working at.

I've been cashier, service employee and salesman at three separate Mediamarkt stores over the years.
Salesman is okay-ish, if you don't mind an extremely competitive atmosphere and an obnoxious profit-first mindset drilled into you from your superiors.

But service, god-damn. It's hell.

If you're going to work there, try looking for a job as salesman in the gaming or entertainment department. That's a pretty laid back job.

Thanks, nice little insight in that shop.
Do they also drill you to sell or recommend specific products because the profit on them is larger than on other products?

There was such an affair years ago in the Dutch shops of Dixons were shop employees could see at the last numbers of the product code which one they should recommend and try to sell the most to customers.

Btw I can imagine the service employee job being hell. Let me guess: a lot of faulty Philips products? :p Although I a from Holland myself I am very aware of the poor quality of Philips products, I once read in a German review about televisions

Hände ab von die Käseteile

which referred to Philips Televisions. We Dutch people are getting called 'Käsekopf' which translates roughly to 'Cheesehead'.

Neff

You mean a one year old system has a worse library than a full cycle machine?

To be fair, REmake and Metroid Prime (although only just, at least outside Japan) were in GC's first year. But if you're asking my honest opinion, those along with RE4, Melee and Viewtiful Joe are all of the GC's must haves right there. Wii U has got at least two must haves under its belt already, with several more this year. I think it's quite likely that Wii U will enjoy a better library than GC's in time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Thanks, nice little insight in that shop.
Do they also drill you to sell or recommend specific products because the profit on them is larger than on other products?

There was such an affair years ago in the Dutch shops of Dixons were shop employees could see at the last numbers of the product code which one they should recommend and try to sell the most to customers.

Btw I can imagine the service employee job being hell. Let me guess: a lot of faulty Philips products? :p Although I a from Holland myself I am very aware of the poor quality of Philips products, I once read in a German review about televisions

Hände ab von die Käseteile

which referred to Philips Televisions. We Dutch people are getting called 'Käsekopf' which translates roughly to 'Cheesehead'.

Yeah. Mediamarkt operates in such a way that they can sell items for below their wholesale price, because the overall profits come from sold accessories to that product.

For example, when Mediamarkt puts iPod Touches on sale, they actually lose money on every iPod sold.
Thing is though, a salesman on the portable department is specifically trained to upsell covers, insurance packages, screenprotectors, docking stations, chargers, etcetera. The margins on these accessories are in-sane.

And in terms of competitiveness, you can track every individual salesman's performance on a per-minute basis on the computers there, and they can compare stores nationwide to see how they stack up to the rest. If you slack off or don't reach the required margins or sales on a slow day, they notice and expect you to shift it into overdrive to sell sell sell.

But yeah, Service is still way, way worse.
Every customer is a bomb waiting to go off where people are adamant that they are getting their money back, but your hands are tied because your bosses are breathing down your neck and the rules are strict as fuck.
We were also crazy understaffed and had one to two-hour waiting times for customers, which made them even crankier when they finally come up to the counter.
I tried desperately to be as accommodating and honest to every customer I got in front of me, but it's still a unavoidable, endless bitchfest in there.
Philips was indeed one of the brands that came back a lot, but then again their return policies weren't as atrocious as let's say apple.

Yeah. Mediamarkt operates in such a way that they can sell items for below their wholesale price, because the overall profits come from sold accessories to that product.

For example, when Mediamarkt puts iPod Touches on sale, they actually lose money on every iPod sold.
Thing is though, a salesman on the portable department is specifically trained to upsell covers, insurance packages, screenprotectors, docking stations, chargers, etcetera. The margins on these accessories are in-sane.

And in terms of competitiveness, you can track every individual salesman's performance on a per-minute basis on the computers there, and they can compare stores nationwide to see how they stack up to the rest. If you slack off or don't reach the required margins or sales on a slow day, they notice and expect you to shift it into overdrive to sell sell sell.

But yeah, Service is still way, way worse.
Every customer is a bomb waiting to go off where people are adamant that they are getting their money back, but your hands are tied because your bosses are breathing down your neck and the rules are strict as fuck.
We were also crazy understaffed and had one to two-hour waiting times for customers, which made them even crankier when they finally come up to the counter.
I tried desperately to be as accommodating and honest to every customer I got in front of me, but it's still a unavoidable, endless bitchfest in there.
Philips was indeed one of the brands that came back a lot, but then again their return policies weren't as atrocious as let's say apple.

Man, those are horror stories. I mean, the fact they can check in the computer how well a salesman is doing performance-wise. I can imagine that if you are having a slow day as a salesman you sometimes could hate those bosses that are breathing down your neck. The salaries aren't that high either, I guess?

Ugh, now I cannot un-remember this information and are contemplating if I ever should buy something again at MediaMarkt.

EDIT: what are actually television brands with great or relaxed return policies? I hear horror stories about Panasonic and Sony.

Do we have any official sales figures for WiiU hardware in the larger EU countries like France, Germany, Italy and Spain ?.

The console is beyond saving in the UK, I expect retailers to dump their remaining stock before the Summer for £99, it's the Gamecube 2.0 all over again here.

Conan-san

Do we have any official sales figures for WiiU hardware in the larger EU countries like France, Germany, Italy and Spain ?.

The console is beyond saving in the UK, I expect retailers to dump their remaining stock before the Summer for £99, it's the Gamecube 2.0 all over again here.
The upside being I can pinch one for that and go buck wild on the store. Only have one 3DS game that isn't a download and I've never been happier for it.

Sounded like 40 to me actually.

What a mess lol.

Nintendo doomed! A shop sold 30 systems at a discount in a stunt gone bad. Fire Iwata now!

And people look at me weird when I say Belgium is a shitty country, especially as a gamer. :p

Funny random fact.
When I went to buy a spare PS3 last week in MM in Oostakker, I actually put 2 systems that were on top back on the pile and grabbed the 3rd one down because the boxed were dented somewhat. Wonder if this one was added back to the stack after the social outcasts left the store.
I have never seen anyone act like this in a store, ever

ramparter

Banned
Guess it's already pointed out but this is the sort of thing Media Markt usually do to attract customers in their stores. Don't expect to find such a deal with online delivery.

Top Bottom