• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

Jeffa

Neo Member
Judging by AC III's performance, what if ... that guy is wrong or that guy is just missing something ?

His comments just shouldnt be taken too litterally , he cant see the CPU architecture from hacking software. He can see that the CPU acts in a similar manor to Broadway. But who knows exactly how close it is to Broadway internally.

deviljho

A9HtunzCEAEfFaG.jpg

Seriously, alternate universe sort of reality he's living in. In that reality, it is a DC sort of jump. But in my universe I remember DC's launch and ports running higher res, more textures, faster framerate. Take Soul Calibur versus Soul Edge.

People need to learn that a 3 or 4x power leap does not mean games looking 3 or 4x as good as Halo 4.

If the GPU is at the top end of it's possible powerful level (720 GFLOPs), which could still be possible (although unlikely) considering how low the power draw of the CPU is, WiiU could easily be 3 or 4x an Xbox 360, esp when you take into account the fact that WiiU is rendering some games twice, once at 720p and again at 480p, all with zero lag on the Gamepad.

As many people have said though, these power multipliers are not very useful to anyone so i shouldn't have used them in the first place.

The law of parsimony. People should just consider it more.

Secret Vita third party support. Wii U port announcements that are being held back for no particular reason. Secret Wii U games that will wow everybody that Nintendo's holding back. Magic and fairy dust.

There are far simpler and more likely explanations.

You're welcome to your high hopes though I guess. I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed though.

There are more than enough games out at launch and to be released before Xmas that cater to all types of gamers.

If you don't think there are at least a few big unannounced multi platform games in development for WiiU then cool but i think you underestimate how desperate for money third party publishers are, most of them are in huge trouble so a new HD capable system that can run their games brings hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars worth of sales throughout 2013.

WiiU will be the saving grace of quite a few third party franchises, developers and studios imo.

I think Resident Evil 6, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, NFS Most Wanted and Far Cry 3 will be released for WiiU in the first half of 2013 with Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Black List, Crysis 3, MGS Ground Zeros and Watch Dogs released in the second half of 2013, multi platform wise.

Also, you seriously think Nintendo aren't working on 3D Mario / Zelda / Metroid / Smash Bros / Starfox / Mario Kart ect ?, i actually think both Reggie and Iwata have confirmed most of those games but have just said 'now is not the time to announce or show them off'... E3 2013 will be that time.

bobeth

People need to learn that a 3 or 4x power leap does not mean games looking 3 or 4x as good as Halo 4.

If the GPU is at the top end of it's possible powerful level (720 GFLOPs), which could still be possible (although unlikely) considering how low the power draw of the CPU is, WiiU could easily be 3 or 4x an Xbox 360, esp when you take into account the fact that WiiU is rendering some games twice, once at 720p and again at 480p, all with zero lag on the Gamepad.

As many people have said though, these power multipliers are not very useful to anyone so i shouldn't have used them in the first place.

The more powerful you make the GPU in your fantasy world, the less powerful the CPU. Why not see it for what it can do right now, and possibly be pleasantly surprised in a few years?

Jeffa

Neo Member
It uses DDR3 1600 MHz. It could have a 4x GPU but it wouldn't matter.

Youre under the impression that WiiU GPU renders to main RAM, it doesnt. If the GPU really did have 4x the shader power that wouldnt be restricted by main memory bandwidth.

PBY

Banned
There are more than enough games out at launch and to be released before Xmas that cater to all types of gamers.

If you don't think there are at least a few big unannounced multi platform games in development for WiiU then cool but i think you underestimate how desperate for money third party publishers are, most of them are in huge trouble so a new HD capable system that can run their games brings hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars worth of sales throughout 2013.

WiiU will be the saving grace of quite a few third party franchises, developers and studios imo.

I think Resident Evil 6, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, NFS Most Wanted and Far Cry 3 will be released for WiiU in the first half of 2013 with Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Black List, Crysis 3, MGS Ground Zeros and Watch Dogs released in the second half of 2013, multi platform wise.

Also, you seriously think Nintendo aren't working on 3D Mario / Zelda / Metroid / Smash Bros / Starfox / Mario Kart ect ?, i actually think both Reggie and Iwata have confirmed most of those games but have just said 'now is not the time to announce or show them off'... E3 2013 will be that time.
The bolded is totally made up right?

netBuff

The bolded is totally made up right?

Well, Need for Speed: Most Wanted is pretty much confirmed to be released in early 2013 for Wii U. Tomb Raider, RE6 and (less so) Splinter Cell seem possible, but I don't think we'll see the rest on our beloved new machine.

Yeah I don't think 3/4 of those games will come out. I can see Tomb Raider maybe, but even then think that will be late port and not release day and date. Overall, the 3rd party support is not looking great right now unless you subscribe to the idea that Nintendo is holding back so many games, and honestly between Wii U and Vita that argument is starting to hold less and less weight with me.

The thing with both the Zelda and Garden demo is that it shows the GPU is capable enough. The Garden demo certainly is pushing geometry.

But there is minimal physics going on an all of the animation could have been pre scripted.

And why didn't they ship the demos on a disk with the WiiU's. That would have been great.

100% agree !.

What happened to the Panoramic View thing ?, thought that would be bundled for sure.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah I don't think 3/4 of those games will come out. I can see Tomb Raider maybe, but even then think that will be late port and not release day and date. Overall, the 3rd party support is not looking great right now unless you subscribe to the idea that Nintendo is holding back so many games, and honestly between Wii U and Vita that argument is starting to hold less and less weight with me.

We know Capcom has other Wii U games in development, and if that "mock up" on Miiverse is correct then Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid is coming to the Wii U.

If you don't think there are at least a few big unannounced multi platform games in development for WiiU
donny listed some that could be possibilities, but I see a lot of wishful thinking overall.
you underestimate how desperate for money third party publishers are, most of them are in huge trouble so a new HD capable system that can run their games brings hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars worth of sales throughout 2013.

I really don't see how a third system to run the same games at the same fidelity will combat generational fatigue. If it were really that simple, then Microsoft should just rebrand the 360 the 720 tomorrow.
Aside from Resident Evil 6, the list is pretty pie-in-the-sky in terms of platform-announced games - particularly titles from Take Two. These late ports may do for launch, but the frontloaded nature of such games generally makes late releases not particularly tenable nor rewarding afaict. Unless they're coming day and date they may as well not come at all.
I'm sure they're working on their stable of franchises. I doubt that anything shown will really wow, however.

The more powerful you make the GPU in your fantasy world, the less powerful the CPU. Why not see it for what it can do right now, and possibly be pleasantly surprised in a few years?

It's not 'fantasy world', guys who know far more than me about tech, power and heat envelopes done the math and it's still possible, however unlikely (like i said) that the GPU could be pushing as much as 700 GFLOPs, i actually think it's closer to 500 GFLOPs, '2x Xenos' on paper but with a 2011 feature set and 20MB's more eDRAM the GPU will be closer to 3 or 4x as powerful as Xbox 360's GPU.

The reason im not judging it on things like NSMB U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU or any of the PS360 ports are because NSMB U and Pikmin 3 were already in development for the original Wii, ZombiU was originally built for 360 and is by all accounts a very low budget game (but still looks fantastic imo) and the PS360 ports were fast, cheap, developed outside of the main studios for the launch / Xmas market.

Some of the ports aren't nearly as bad as people make out, 95% of gamers wouldn't even notice the differences between the PS360 versions and the WiiU version.

Aliens will be the first multi platform game that shows a dramatic level of difference between a PS360 and WiiU game imo, mainly down to the textures and framerate.

Rolf NB

Youre under the impression that WiiU GPU renders to main RAM, it doesnt. If the GPU really did have 4x the shader power that wouldnt be restricted by main memory bandwidth.
The framebuffer isn't the only place where a GPU uses bandwidth. Namely, textures, geometry have to come from somewhere. Shader code and machine state, too, though those are minor concerns comparatively.

Many standard use cases for shaders happen to bring in extra demands for texture bandwidth. E.g. you want normal mapping, you need an extra normal map texture at the very least.

NSMB U and Pikmin 3 were already in development for the original Wii

No it wasn't. And people really need to stop saying Pikmin 3 was already built on the Wii. That team did some small planning work. The real development took place on Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
No it wasn't. And people really need to stop saying Pikmin 3 was already built on the Wii. That team did some small planning work. The real development took place on Wii U.

Pikmin 3 was in development post E3 2008, it then moved to Wii U and has had a 1+ year of development.

I'm sure they're working on their stable of franchises. I doubt that anything shown will really wow, however.

Depends on your expectations, if you get off on realistic art styles, violence, swearing and sex then i doubt Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, F Zero, Starfox, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Waverace ect would appeal.

Some people don't like Nintendo's 'cutesy' graphical style and that's fine, i just don't see why they have to piss all over every single WiiU thread that's made.

First and second party games with a decent sized budget will look astounding on WiiU imo.

Also could someone talk to an admin ?, we currently have three WiiU tech threads on the go at once, is it possible to merge them, lock two of them and stick with one or lock all three and create a brand new thread now that we know far more about the specs ?.

Anything but three threads covering the same topic going on at once would be great if possible.

The devs for MGS, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, and Crysis have already explained why their games aren't coming to Wii U.

There's really no reason for them to be so straightforward if ports were really on the table.

I actually read that several times on here in EC's thread.

Even if it wasn't, go and look at YT videos of NSMB Wii, NSMB U really is just the same game running in HD with some small effects and more detailed backgrounds. NSMB Wii could have probably ran on the original Xbox or Gamecube so there is no way NSMB U is in any way 'pushing' WiiU's GPU.

Depends on your expectations, if you get off on realistic art styles, violence, swearing and sex
Notwithstanding most people get off on sex, regardless of artstyle I don't anticipate anything will particularly wow. I'm sure they'll be pretty, but relatively, I doubt they'll be impressive enough to warrant awe.

Also if I'm reading this table right your GPU expectations seem to be wildly optimistic at least with regard to floating point performance at 500-700 GFLOPS.

Pretty sure paired singles are exclusive to the 750 line, maybe even just certain 750 cores.

Actually, I just read the 470 series does do paired singles! Makes Nintendo's decision all the more aggravating. Those extra registers would have been nice. Maybe it was the write gather pipe and ability to lock the l1 data cache that they figured modding a 470 was too much trouble. *shrugs*

Edit: Actually, I may have misread that somewhere. You seem to be right on the paired singles being exclusive.

Pikmin 3 was in development post E3 2008, it then moved to Wii U and has had a 1+ year of development.

Not according to Miyamoto. It has been in development for 2 years now on Wii U.

There's really no reason for them to be so straightforward if ports were really on the table.

Not really. I agree 2 or all of them won't be coming day and date, but remember Warren Spector's "We aren't making Epic Mickey Wii U because we don't have time?

The devs for MGS, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, and Crysis have already explained why their games aren't coming to Wii U.

Most developers have actually said they are taking a 'wait and see approach' to WiiU, if Nintendo can get 5.5 million consoles sold by March 2013 (their own projections), then that is a decent market size to port to for extra cash.

Could well not happen, its just a possibility imo.

KageMaru

It's not 'fantasy world', guys who know far more than me about tech, power and heat envelopes done the math and it's still possible, however unlikely (like i said) that the GPU could be pushing as much as 700 GFLOPs, i actually think it's closer to 500 GFLOPs, '2x Xenos' on paper but with a 2011 feature set and 20MB's more eDRAM the GPU will be closer to 3 or 4x as powerful as Xbox 360's GPU.

If that's a DX10.1 design, we're looking at 2008 feature set. No matter what it's definitely not 2011. Also the GPU isn't pushing 700GFLOPS or even close to that.

I agree with a few certain informed posters here that we're looking at ~1.5x increase in performance here. Give or take.

prag16

Banned
/QUOTE]

If that's a DX10.1 design, we're looking at 2008 feature set. No matter what it's definitely not 2011. Also the GPU isn't pushing 700GFLOPS or even close to that.

I agree with a few certain informed posters here that we're looking at ~1.5x increase in performance here. Give or take.

But we don't know any of that for certain. All of a sudden everyone on the internet is an expert and an insider.

How much of that is going to go the gamepad, especially when there is not just a menu or the same image there?

This actually could now fit quite well with that old Insidegamer.nl report about the Wii U CPU being about as powerful as current gen, with the GPU being about 1.5x current gen.

His comments just shouldnt be taken too litterally , he cant see the CPU architecture from hacking software. He can see that the CPU acts in a similar manor to Broadway. But who knows exactly how close it is to Broadway internally.

Outside of IBM, Marcan probably knows more about the Broadway than anyone else. Not sure where you get the idea that you can't see architecture from software hacking... if anything, it's much EASIER to tell from software than by trying to analyze a chip (which requires x-rays to get some detail and acid and an electron microscope to get the rest).

I think his comments should very much be taken at face value for anything Wii and Wii U. He's got the hardware in front of him, and he knows how to make it sing like a canary.

Some Direct X11 like features were also talked about with regards to the WiiU GPU.

Does it have a name like 'Xenos' ect ?.

Right, but I was wondering if there was any reason you might have that opinion besides wishful thinking.

Reasons ?, how about a great many third party developers and publishers hanging by a thread, good luck getting them to start projects on consoles that are 5-7 times the power of PS360, esp when a ton of development houses went under this gen, even on that now 'weak' tech.

PS4 / 720 will imo be AAAA exclusives consoles with their multi platform games also being available for PC / PS360 / WiiU.

PBY

Banned
Reasons ?, how about a great many third party developers and publishers hanging by a thread, good luck getting them to start projects on consoles that are 5-7 times the power of PS360, esp when a ton of development houses went under this gen, even on that now 'weak' tech.

PS4 / 720 will imo be AAAA exclusives consoles with their multi platform games being available for PC / PS360 / WiiU.

Right, but why those specific titles? I was asking if they were based on some information/leaks/whatever. So no.

Arkam confirmed sometime ago that the GPU has features beyond DX10.1.

This actually could now fit quite well with that old Insidegamer.nl report about the Wii U CPU being about as powerful as current gen, with the GPU being about 1.5x current gen.
Something to consider with older reports is that the specs did improve overtime.

bobeth

PS4 / 720 will imo be AAAA exclusives consoles with their multi platform games also being available for PC / PS360 / WiiU.
I think you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment. You are spouting out terms and numbers you have no idea about. The reality is that right now on the wiiU, you get 3rd party ports that perform worse than on ps360, and 1st party games that look no better than what you get elsewhere. I don't mind a bit of optimism, but you should be careful and not lose sight of reality:)

Here is an article from 2008 that mention Pikmin 3 developement on the Wii going well:

http://www.destructoid.com/new-zeld...-3-going-well-miyamoto-thinks-so-103046.phtml

I think it was in developement for the Wii for some time before they moved it over to the WiiU.

Development can mean many things. Work was certainly done on the game, but there was only a handful of people working on it which is not enough to do anything substantial on a big project like it. The meat of development was done on Wii U.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Development can mean many things. Work was certainly done on the game, but there was only a handful of people working on it which is not enough to do anything substantial on a big project like it. The meat of development was done on Wii U.
That mention is from 2008, there could have been ~3 more years of work on Wii since then, perhaps shifted to full production with a proper team, before it was announced for WiiU as we don't know how long before that the decision to switch platforms was made.

Right, but why those specific titles? I was asking if they were based on some information/leaks/whatever. So no.

As i have now said twice, my opinion, be it right or wrong.

NFS: MW / Splinter Cell: Black List / Tomb Raider have been listed by retailers but then again so was MGS4 for the 360 last week :D.

You have to look at it from a business perspective only and ignore your allegiances completely.

Publisher asks dev to make game, dev says ok what platforms do you want it on, publisher looks at console market and previously seen only two HD consoles capable of running the code so answers - PS360.

Now there is a third console, more than capable of running any multi platform PS360 code, so in a great many cases they will make a version for WiiU, all-be it later.

A game like Dishonored for instance which has now price dropped in the UK could be totally reinvigorated sales wise in the second quarter of 2013 for WiiU. If the console has an instal base of over 5 million by March then i see no reason why any publisher would wish to ignore a possible 1 million additional sales to an 'old' PS360 game that is finished it's main development and only needs ported across.

Of course next gen will be different as the developers will have to put in a lot of extra work to make a 'down ported' version of the games to run on WiiU but until those systems are out, WiiU is a very attractive platform for 90% of third party publishers imho.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought it was confirmed a long time ago that Wii U had a tessellation unit? Did this end up not being true?

I vaguely remember this happening as well. Could be wrong, though.

Top Bottom