• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

I've been following the back and forth, yes-it-does-no-it-doesn't in this thread and someone please just give it to me straight in terms I can understand.

As a ranking...if WiiSports is a 1 and The Last of Us is a 10, what's the number we can expect Wii U to produce on the high end? Can we expect Wii U to produce visuals at least on par with the peak of what we've seen this gen or is that asking too much?

Conservative guess I'd say 16

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I've been following the back and forth, yes-it-does-no-it-doesn't in this thread and I need someone to just give it to me straight in terms I can understand.

As a ranking...if WiiSports is a 1 and The Last of Us is a 10, what's the number we can expect Wii U to produce on the high end? Can we expect Wii U to produce visuals at least on par with the peak of what we've seen this gen or is that asking too much?

My guess?

8 in actual games
8-12 in tech (depends on the GPU's actual performance)

I don't think there will be a software talent to push wii u like Naughty Dog pushes PS3. Naughty Dog is in the top of their class at optimizing game engines.

Log4Girlz

Very likely, 2011 CPU architecture > 2005 CPU architecture, 2011 GPU architecture and features > 2005 GPU, 20 MB's more eDRAM, a dedicated sound chip, 1.5GB's more memory and a more powerful GPU.

It could well end up 3 or 4x a 360 depending on the final GPU FLOP count.

The wii u has cpu architecture from 1999.

wsippel

Banned
Based on what exactly? Granted I'm venturing into areas I'm not too familiar with, but comparing the MIPS per MHz of an i7 2600K versus Broadway:
1. i7 2600K: 37.7 per MHz
2. Broadway: 2.5 per MHz or I guess 7.5 for 3 cores.

If my understanding or source is faulty, please correct me.
That's 476FP, not Broadway. And Dhrystone is highly synthetic. Xenon has a Dhrystone of 2.0, yet the real world IPC is closer to 0.5 if I remember correctly.

Orayn

The wii u has cpu architecture from 1999.

We don't know what, if anything, has been changed. If you wanna start talking about age, the entire Intel Core 2 -> i3/i5/i7 lineage is "an architecture from 2000" because it was based on a Pentium III era budget processor called Coppermine.

Mastperf

Seriously, alternate universe sort of reality he's living in. In that reality, it is a DC sort of jump. But in my universe I remember DC's launch and ports running higher res, more textures, faster framerate. Take Soul Calibur versus Soul Edge.
I expect the WiiU to of course be more powerful but a 3-4X jump with a more modern gpu would give you a system able to run these multi-platform titles with ease. You would at least get an increase in resolution with little effort.

Hiltz

As far as Pikmin 3 goes, Miyamoto stated the following in a June interview:

Pikmin 3 itself I’ve been working on with a very, very small team for going on about five years now doing a variety of experiments, but as far as Pikmin 3 on Wii U we started that a little bit less than two years ago.

Wait what?

That's why I said "I could be very wrong though and just having high hopes."
The law of parsimony. People should just consider it more.

Secret Vita third party support. Wii U port announcements that are being held back for no particular reason. Secret Wii U games that will wow everybody that Nintendo's holding back. Magic and fairy dust.

There are far simpler and more likely explanations.

You're welcome to your high hopes though I guess. I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed though.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Most PC games are made with 2005 hardware in mind. What you're mostly seeing is hi res 360/ps3 games not next gen. I'm still surprised people are confused with this concept. Consoles dictate PC development. When the next gen consoles hit the baseline will be raised from 2005 hardware to 2011-2013 hardware(or whatever they kind of hardware they use in orbis/durango)

While I do think it's true with some games, I do not think that is the case with every game being released. When I look at stuff like Skyrim, I can see it has been developed with consoles in mind, as it doesn't look all that great on PC (unless you use mods). But when I play stuff like Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, and Metro 2033, it does look like they were developed with High End PC specs in mind, and then downscaled for consoles later on to turn on a larger profit.

donny2112

Wii U port announcements that are being held back for no particular reason.

Nintendo idiocy. Very specific reason. Unless you think there was some logic in only announcing the existence of Black Ops 2 Wii U at the September press event instead of back when the other versions were announced or E3. Nintendo is absolutely holding back their own announcements for almost all their own games outside the "launch window," and it doesn't take much of a stretch to imagine them trying to do the same for any third-party announcements considering they did exactly that for Wii U launch. Doesn't mean GTAV is coming for Wii U or whatever, but if you think the currently announced 2013 post-March lineup is basically all that's coming for Wii U next year, then you have not been paying attention to Nintendo's MO the last few years.

While I do think it's true with some games, I do not think that is the case with every game being released. When I look at stuff like Skyrim, I can see it has been developed with consoles in mind, as it doesn't look all that great on PC (unless you use mods). But when I play stuff like Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, and Metro 2033, it does look like they were developed with High End PC specs in mind, and then downscaled for consoles later on to turn on a larger profit.

Some counter examples are Steam and Blizzard games. These are brand new (mostly) PC specific games and they are still only using DX9.

Budget and expected consumer PC hardware performance also holds back PCs to a pretty big degree.

Meelow

Banned
The law of parsimony. People should just consider it more.

Secret Vita third party support. Wii U port announcements that are being held back for no particular reason. Secret Wii U games that will wow everybody that Nintendo's holding back. Magic and fairy dust.

There are far simpler and more likely explanations.

You're welcome to your high hopes though I guess. I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed though.

I agree. I only say it about the secret Wii U games is because Nintendo did announce Bayonetta 2 at the September conference when they could of announced it back at E3 2012.

Nintendo idiocy. Very specific reason. Unless you think there was some logic in only announcing the existence of Black Ops 2 Wii U at the September press event instead of back when the other versions were announced or E3. Nintendo is absolutely holding back their own announcements for almost all their own games outside the "launch window," and it doesn't take much of a stretch to imagine them trying to do the same for any third-party announcements considering they did exactly that for Wii U. Doesn't mean GTAV is coming for Wii U or whatever, but if you think the currently announced 2013 post-March lineup is basically all that's coming for Wii U next year, then you have not been paying attention to Nintendo's MO the last few years.
I wish I could understand the rationale behind what they've been doing. Announcing games that are so early in development that they may not be out for years isn't a good practice *cough*Square*cough* but stealth announcing big games a couple months prior to launch doesn't give you nearly enough time to build awareness and most people assume, rightly or wrongly, that games announced this way are minor releases.

It's almost as if Nintendo thinks that their games are iDevices or something.
I agree. I only say it about the secret Wii U games is because Nintendo did announce Bayonetta 2 at the September conference when they could of announced it back at E3 2012.
And we haven't seen or heard a single thing about it since then except for a random jounalist tweet saying it was jaw dropping. We'd like to know what's jaw dropping too Nintendo!

Medalion

Banned
Amateur hour is good way of describing your assessment, yes.

I'm kidding! People see numbers, see one is lower than another number from a few years ago and don't know how to process that (no pun intended). For Nintendo it's... oh look, Nintendo is once again way behind even last gen technology... but when it comes from Xbox's side, people start to think...oh MAYBE cpu clock speed isn't the only thing to make a system a next-gen capable system

I'm kidding! People see numbers, see one is lower than another number from a few years ago and don't know how to process that (no pun intended). For Nintendo it's... oh look, Nintendo is once again way behind even last gen technology... but when it comes from Xbox's side, people start to think...oh MAYBE cpu clock speed isn't the only thing to make a system a next-gen capable system
We are likely talking about one design from 1999, and another from any time after 2007 though.

Orayn

Sorry for the snark, the other thread is full of people who said similar things and weren't kidding. Yeah, the over and underreactions to everything make for a pretty entertaining show.

We are likely talking about one design from 1999, and another from any time after 2007 though.

Also true. People not even thinking this far and concluding that they're both disastrous is great, though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wish I could understand the rationale behind what they've been doing. Announcing games that are so early in development that they may not be out for years isn't a good practice *cough*Square*cough* but stealth announcing big games a couple months prior to launch doesn't give you nearly enough time to build awareness and most people assume, rightly or wrongly, that games announced this way are minor releases.

Nintendo has expressed some specific frustration at trying to organize their schedule to satisfy the demands of core gamers, who naturally want a lot of AAA software.

They've suffered a few big problems there before - announcing Twilight Princess way too early and resulting in it missing years' worth of possible release dates. Then spookily enough, the same thing happened to Skyward Sword though not as bad: announced rather early, delayed a couple of times (even if for a good reason), frustrating the audience.

Then there was the huge fistful of 3DS games they announced at 3DS reveal, to show overwhelming software support. But some of those games got delayed like Kid Icarus, and others delayed even further like Luigi's Mansion 2.

It seems they're now experimenting with only revealing games approximately 6 to 8 months before they're certain those games will be ready to go out the door.

Of course, to be fair to them, their fans can be a little... jumpy. See: Wii U revealed with NSMB U, resulting in rows of howling at this "horribly insultingly simplistic too dee game" being the Mario we'll get in HD unlike the Galaxy 3 we deserve. As if there was any doubt at all that big budget 3D Mario game was already in development at EAD.

My problem is that I can't exactly say I'm unhappy with their current MO because this industry is drunk on hype and marketing campaigns, where games are advertised years in advance to begin building people up to a life changing experience. In my opinion, that just helps feed the development of the poisonous cynicism that grips hardcore geeks and gamers. Far too much weight and drama is put upon all this stuff, people simultaneously deriding the money and marketing. Yet being manipulated by its existence anyway, into an obsession with hanging on every turn. Leads to burnout; and there's plenty of people who show every sign of being unhappy, bitter burnouts... and about something as light and froofy as videya gaems.

I suppose there are just bigger problems than people being annoyed that Nintendo hasn't announced another game yet.

You're so silly. The PowerPC750 that the gekko was based on was a 2000/2001 design. Marcan just made a tweet that said it's likely based on 750FX, that would put it as a 2002 design. Don't you feel silly now :) (if it's not clear, this is a joke :p)

You're so silly. The PowerPC750 that the gekko was based on was a 2000/2001 design. Marcan just made a tweet that said it's likely based on 750FX, that would put it as a 2002 design. Don't you feel silly now :) (if it's not clear, this is a joke :p)
I haven't been on most of the day.

I decided to "sleep".

And we haven't seen or heard a single thing about it since then except for a random jounalist tweet saying it was jaw dropping. We'd like to know what's jaw dropping too Nintendo!

The majority of people who buy a game learn about it only a month before hand unless its a major series that they are into. Most people simply have no clue until the marketing starts and cardboard cutouts are put in gamestops. Holding off on announcements means they only need to make a demo once usually saving a ton of time and money from the Dev team in order to get something show ready.

It also helps With how they schedule games. The competition doesn't know what they have until they have likely committed to a date, meanwhile Nintendo can delay at will with no repercussions because they announce things when they dam well know its going to release.

I haven't been on most of the day.

I decided to "sleep".

For everyone on the thread...

@AminKhajehnassi @eubank_josh we suspect a cross between the 750CL and the 750FX but it's unclear. The SMP is new anyway.

So... any hopes of it being a heavily modified/upgraded PowerPC proc, I think this puts an end to that.

(edit) Did some quick research on SMP, it just means Symmetric MultiProcessing. In other words, the part of the chip that allows for multiple processors to share caches... Nothing new about the chip aside from that.

Log4Girlz

We don't know what, if anything, has been changed. If you wanna start talking about age, the entire Intel Core 2 -> i3/i5/i7 lineage is "an architecture from 2000" because it was based on a Pentium III era budget processor called Coppermine.

Have any major developers described the core line as horrible and slow?

The broadway does not seem to have had monstrous developments since its inception. The triple broadway is still miniscule in size given its 45 nm design. They duct taped 3 broadways and made enough changes to get them to work together. This is very far from the scenario with intel. Though I concede, the base of the architecture is quite old, a tremendous amount of work went into dramatically increasing its performance.

What is the power draw of a desktop core chip? How does it compare to the entire TDP of the Wii U?

My problem is that I can't exactly say I'm unhappy with their current MO because this industry is drunk on hype and marketing campaigns, where games are advertised years in advance to begin building people up to a life changing experience. In my opinion, that just helps feed the development of the poisonous cynicism that grips hardcore geeks and gamers. Far too much weight and drama is put upon all this stuff, people simultaneously deriding the money and marketing. Yet being manipulated by its existence anyway, into an obsession with hanging on every turn. Leads to burnout; and there's plenty of people who show every sign of being unhappy, bitter burnouts... and about something as light and froofy as videya gaems.

I suppose there are just bigger problems than people being annoyed that Nintendo hasn't announced another game yet.
IDK, you're right that hype for some games gets out of control but hype for games coming out down the road will sometimes push people over the edge when they're not enthusiastic about the games that are available.

How many people bought 3DSs early due to the awesome future line-up as opposed to the less than stellar launch line up the system had?
THat would make a lot of sense since it was posted earlier in the thread that the dev kit CPUs were originally clocked at 1Ghz. I think that was the top range of the 750FX but did they just overclock it to get to 1.24 or were other modifications made? I guess I can look it up since I don't remember the fab process for that chip either.
Have any major developers described the core line as horrible and slow?

The broadway does not seem to have had monstrous developments since its inception. The triple broadway is still miniscule in size given its 45 nm design. They duct taped 3 broadways and made enough changes to get them to work together. This is very far from the scenario with intel. Though I concede, the base of the architecture is quite old, a tremendous amount of work went into dramatically increasing its performance.

What is the power draw of a desktop core chip? How does it compare to the entire TDP of the Wii U?
Not that Intel is a slouch but that's selling IBM way short don't you think?

Log4Girlz

IDK, you're right that hype for some games gets out of control but hype for games coming out down the road will sometimes push people over the edge when they're not enthusiastic about the games that are available.

How many people bought 3DSs early due to the awesome future line-up as opposed to the less than stellar launch line up the system had?

THat would make a lot of sense since it was posted earlier in the thread that the dev kit CPUs were originally clocked at 1Ghz. I think that was the top range of the 750FX but did they just overclock it to get to 1.24 or were other modifications made? I guess I can look it up since I don't remember the fab process for that chip either.

Not that Intel is a slouch but that's selling IBM way short don't you think?

Actually its selling Nintendo short if you catch my drift. They are paying for the R&D

For reference, an i3-2130 is a 65w chip and dual core. (quad i5's of the same range are 77w)

The Wii U cpu is in the 5-10 watt range.

(edit) You also mentioned whether the Wii U CPU had any additional changes... according to Marcan no. The only change was a custom SMP which just handles cache sharing between multiple cores.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'd also just like to make a random comment saying that surprisingly, both SMG games look pretty durn good on my 1080p HDTV. It's 1080p! I cannot freakin wait to see the next 3D Mario game.

I'd also just like to make a random comment saying that surprisingly, both SMG games look pretty durn good on my 1080p HDTV. It's 1080p! I cannot freakin wait to see the next 3D Mario game.

720p upscaled to 1080p actually.

(edit) Diablos: It was confirmed by Marcan, scroll up a bit I quoted him. It is 3 PowerPC750 cores likely of the FX line, clocked higher and at a smaller process tied together with a custom SMP.

Do we know for sure this is the case? Or are people just assuming? Cause I've seen this thrown around a lot like it's fact.
The term "Enhanced Broadway Cores" is apparently taken directly from Nintendo's developer website.

What enhanced means is anyone's guess though. Overclocked? Re-engineered? Sprinkled with Pikmin dust? Only people under NDA know but maybe Marcan or another hacker will enlighten us soon.
(edit) Diablos: It was confirmed by Marcan, scroll up a bit I quoted him. It is 3 PowerPC750 cores likely of the FX line, clocked higher and at a smaller process tied together with a custom SMP.
Or that. I do wonder if anything was gained by the process shrink aside from lowering wattage.

I'll post this again for Marcan.

Marcan said:
we suspect a cross between the 750CL and the 750FX but it's unclear. The SMP is new anyway.

The 750CL is of the same line as the Gekko and Broadway. The 750FX appears to be a slight iteration upgrade... The only thing I can see on wikipedia is that it has a faster bus (likely modified for the Wii U anyways since it's clocked higher than any FX made) and a wider bus to the L2 cache.

Wikipedia said:
The 750FX (code-named Sahara) came in 2002 and increased frequency up to 900 MHz, the bus speed to 166 MHz and the on-die L2 cache to 512 KiB. It also featured a number of improvements to the memory subsystem: an enhanced and faster (200 MHz) 60x bus controller, a wider L2 cache bus, and the ability to lock parts of the L2 cache. [2] It is manufactured using a 0.13 μm copper based fabrication with Low-K dielectric and Silicon on insulator technology. 750FX has 39 million transistors, a die size of 35 mm2 and consumes less than 4 W at 800 MHz at typical loads. It was the last G3 type processor used by Apple.

Mxrz

I've been following the back and forth, yes-it-does-no-it-doesn't in this thread and I need someone to just give it to me straight in terms I can understand.

Visuals in theory, yes? Maybe.

But probably not. The ones that will be getting the most out of this hardware is Nintendo, and I don't think they'll be aiming for anything on that level of realism. I don't see any big third party bankrolling a AAA exclusive, or even making the WiiU the lead platform to tap into its strengths for it either. With the other bottlenecks, I doubt it'll match up to ND-level of tech. What they've done with the PS3 borders on the occult.

The hardware looks ideal for Nintendo 1st party tho. Heavy art, low CPU intensity games, etc.

* For some reason the idea of COD style Mario seems like a missed opportunity. Mario and Luigi hunkered down, turtle shells flying all around, koopas behind cover, cloud-guys doing airdrops of spikey shelled things. Chaos.

Nintendo idiocy. Very specific reason. Unless you think there was some logic in only announcing the existence of Black Ops 2 Wii U at the September press event instead of back when the other versions were announced or E3. Nintendo is absolutely holding back their own announcements for almost all their own games outside the "launch window," and it doesn't take much of a stretch to imagine them trying to do the same for any third-party announcements considering they did exactly that for Wii U launch. Doesn't mean GTAV is coming for Wii U or whatever, but if you think the currently announced 2013 post-March lineup is basically all that's coming for Wii U next year, then you have not been paying attention to Nintendo's MO the last few years.
I was referring rather to the notion that games slated for March for PC/PS360, or games already released, are secretly also in development for Wii U.

In all likelihood there are PC/PS360/WiiU games as yet unannounced, since there are presumably still 2013 games that are unannounced. But there isn't really any logical rationale for Warner Bros Interactive to be able to announce Injustice for April for the Wii U and thinking Dead Space 3 and Bioshock are secretly to come in Feb.

Fredrik

They duct taped 3 broadways and made enough changes to get them to work together. This is very far from the scenario with intel.
Don't know if true or not but I just read in another tech thread that Intel basically did _exactly_ that when they developed the foundation to their entire current line of multi core processors.

* For some reason the idea of COD style Mario seems like a missed opportunity. Mario and Luigi hunkered down, turtle shells flying all around, koopas behind cover, cloud-guys doing airdrops of spikey shelled things. Chaos.

Ha, and I just joked about Battlefield:Mushroom Kingdom a couple pages ago. Make it happen Nintendo/EA.

deviljho

Can we change this thread title from

"Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan" to "Wii U clock speeds are found by Wii Custom Firmware Maker"

to match: "Wii Custom Firmware Maker Rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz."

Can we change this thread title from

"Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan" to "Wii U clock speeds are found by Wii Custom Firmware Maker"

to match: "Wii Custom Firmware Maker Rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz."

That's silly... If they changed it it would be "Unexpectedly low Wii U clock speeds are found by PS3 hacker".

ArynCrinn

Banned
I can't accelerate further down. I'm currently kissing concrete.

Self-immolation while wielding a jackhammer, there's ALWAYS a way to go deeper!

Honestly, on the Wii U, if Nintendo can smoothly patch things up UI and feature-wise I'll be happy with any of their efforts performance/visually. It's certainly possible for a dev to surpass The Last of US visually on Wii U (or should be). But Nintendo would have to be willing to invest heavily for a studio to build up that talent and finesse title after title, and I don't see it.

Log4Girlz

Don't know if true or not but I just read in another tech thread that Intel basically did _exactly_ that when they developed the foundation to their entire current line of multi core processors.

The core i7 is just 4 pentium 3's duct taped together? How many watts does it draw? What is the transistor count?

The core i7 is just 4 pentium 3's duct taped together? How many watts does it draw? What is the transistor count?

The transistor count of the Wii U cores is higher than any PowerPC 750CL or 750FX and the power usage is also lower than any of those processors. The individual cores are clocked higher than any known 750FX or 750CL processor as well.

It's not fair to IBM to call the Wii U CPU simply three overclocked Broadway's duct taped together, and it's also not fair to intel to say that the core series is four pentium III's overclocked and duct taped together.

In the case of the Wii U cpu compared to Xenon and Cell, the Wii U CPU has a simplified pipeline and a saner method of SMP.

In the case of the Core processors, the reason for going back to the Pentium III architecture and working from there is because all the optimizations done for Pentium 4's performance hindered multi-core cpus. They created improved SSE and vector arithmetic on the core line.

Log4Girlz

The transistor count of the Wii U cores is higher than any PowerPC 750CL or 750FX and the power usage is also lower than any of those processors. The individual cores are clocked higher than any known 750FX or 750CL processor as well.

How do those compare to the core i7 line? Someone educate me. Perhaps that dev from that metro game is an idiot and cannot recognize a beastly cpu.

Top Bottom