• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the buzz its getting and it being a launch title, I would be surprised if it doesn't beat out their previous games sales wise. Either way Nintendo is marketing and publishing, so its not going to be dropping in price quickly.

Like Sin & Punishment 2?

I hope Nintendo uses their remaining events between now and release to really sell the console to dedicated gamers like most of us on gaf. Their E3 showing was targeted towards the general mass audience and if you look at the reception the Wii U got outside the gaming media/gaming community that seems to have worked. But now I want stuff for me, not parents and kids.

Hoping for one of these Fall conferences that might come close to E32010 blowout? Otherwise I really don't feel like buying the console right now. As a huge defender of Wii, I'm still vastly disappointed with the whole situation :/ Sleeping over it really doesn't help either.

Fucking sucks that it won't launch in black. (nintendo rep said it wouldn't)

wtf is this shit? Thought it was just some rumor ...

Roman

I hope Nintendo uses their remaining events between now and release to really sell the console to dedicated gamers like most of us on gaf. Their E3 showing was targeted towards the general mass audience and if you look at the reception the Wii U got outside the gaming media/gaming community that seems to have worked. But now I want stuff for me, not parents and kids.

That is exactly what they are going to be doing. At E3 they showed the launch games for the expanded audience that doesn't watch Nintendo Direct.
We can safely expect more games to be announced once we get closer to Q4.

I think it'll launch in white, at 299 american dollars, and probably pricedrop 50 dollars a year or a year and a half later along with a black version.

Instro

Like Sin & Punishment 2?

I don't really think there is a comparison to made there. S&P2 is a sequel to a beyond niche game and was not considered a good value for its price. Hell the P-100 thread already has more posts than any S&P2 thread including its OT.

I would love for it to launch in black.

(BTW, has anyone heard from HylianTom? Did the conference kill him?)

I messaged him yesterday. He's laying low on GAF but heavily abusing IRC. I'm sure he'll make a triumphant return soon.

Doesn't say might. If they weren't sure, the rep wouldn't have said anything.

I don't think it makes sense to throw it on their website so prominently without planning to have it at release. My suspicion is that they're toying with the idea that launching in black instead of white will help some audiences understand that the system is new and different. This sounds very Iwata to me.

There seems to be a lot of stuff that arn't confirmed that would tip me over.

What will the e-shop launch with?

How connected and fast is Miiverse?

And most importantly, What comes out after Launch window? There's little to no way that something won't be announced between now and launch day for the future. It's just with the games that they've shown being not final, not polished and certainly not finished. I can only guess that for the development for Mario Kart, they're still trying to get the wheels on.

I'm pretty sure, I can't remember when but someone was like "Will there be black at Launch?"
"We're testing to see public reaction to these colors, confirmation on a later date"

I don't think it makes sense to throw it on their website so prominently without planning to have it at release. My suspicion is that they're toying with the idea that launching in black instead of white will help some audiences understand that the system is new and different. This sounds very Iwata to me.
That's what I'm thinking too. Why feature it so heavily if it won't show up at launch? So weird this actually has an influence on whether I buy the Wii U or not, lol.
There seems to be a lot of stuff that arn't confirmed that would tip me over.
Same here. I'm really curious if vc games can be streamed and played on the tablet.

BlackJace

I messaged him yesterday. He's laying low on GAF but heavily abusing IRC. I'm sure he'll make a triumphant return soon.

He's not banned. Maybe he was told that if he didn't get off the computer he would be getting off anymore?

Ah thanks. I was about to take a GAF break too, but I couldn't resist the fallout.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I'm thinking too. Why feature it so heavily if it won't show up at launch? So weird this actually has an influence on whether I buy the Wii U or not, lol.

Same here. I'm really curious if vc games can be streamed and played on the tablet.
Nintendo Revolution debuted in black but was shown in other colors as well (green, red, silver and white). The main color changed to white at Tokyo Game Show 2005, but Wii has seen at least three of the original colors realized. Whether this will happen with Wii U even Nintendo probably doesn't know, but for a brand new system I think it would be wiser of them to get as many systems as possible manufactured instead of supplying two SKUs; therefore one color would make more sense than two at launch.

One of the video interviews with a Nintendo executive confirmed that no decisions have been made about the two colors, and that there may be more/different colors made available. sorry I can't remember who it was with...

however, I have to think they featured the black WiiU heavily on purpose, otherwise it was a cruel trick to play.

the positive buzz about black should ensure it launches in both. i hope.

All I need is white, so I'm pretty safe I guess.

Kinda funny we spent all that time waiting and anticipating E3 then as soon as thats done its like OK NOW BRING ON THE SEPTEMBER (or whatever it will be) ONE OMG WOO!!!!

Thats the one that is gonna bring the real goods now.

Like the ride is more fun than the destination.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Thanks for putting this together.

By the way, I first misread the title as "..Speculation Thread: Indoctrination to Asymmetric Gameplay" :lol

------

I'm surprised how much I like the black model. I thought the gamepad would look bug and ugly in anything but white, but it looks kinda high-tech and cool in back. Black will make the screen stand out more and appear brighter (little light reflection from the white plastic).

Are there a new set of official, high-res, pics of the console?

Roman

I think it'll launch in white, at 299 american dollars, and probably pricedrop 50 dollars a year or a year and a half later along with a black version.

Reggie said in the interview with IGN they hated dropping the 3DS price and they would like this to be kept at the same price for a long time just like the Wii.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So let's say you are all buying it at launch, ignoring the price, and black is available, what would be your shopping list?

So let's say you are all buying it at launch, ignoring the price, and black is available, what would be your shopping list?

Of things we know that will come out?

Initially: Rayman, Zombi U

After a couple months: New Super Mario Bros U

Possibly in 2013H1: Pikmin 3, Assassin's Creed 3*, Lego City StoriesWhatever It's Called

Note that I'm still not very likely to buy the system this year -- the above is a hypothetical case.

* wasn't really a fan of the regular trailer or game play vid, but that ship battle was pretty awesome

edit: So what's the draw with Darksiders?

snesfreak

Banned
Wii U
Pro Controller (assuming it's available)
ACIII
Darksiders 2
Lego City
ZombiU
NSMBU
Pikmin 3 (if at launch)
P-100 (forgot about it lol)
Rayman Legends
*looks at amazon*
lolwat Pikmin 3 is listed at $99

Linkhero1

Black Wii U
Rayman Legends
NSMBU

but since they're not launching in black, then I will most likely hold out on purchasing a Wii U until later on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Right now I am leaning towards skipping launch.

Really want to see more content, first and third party before I commit.

But my opinions have been known to change..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Whatever the price turns out to be I don't think it can have any effect on the performance inside. What mean is... its not like they can cut costs on the actual chipset at the last minute. Lowering the clock speeds doesn't make it cheaper and the specs that do effect cost would have to be decided on years in advance. The exception would be memory, which as best we know, Nintendo is sticking to a respectable 2GB.

At least that's how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the price predictions. I think Nintendo might go with a multiple SKU strategy to hit different consumer types with different value propositions.

For example:

Casual Consumer = $299 white model with Nintendoland.

Enthusiast Consumer = $299 black model with pro controller.

Instro

Black WiiU
Black Pro Controller
P-100
NSMBU
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Darksiders 2
Zombi U(depending on reviews)

Maybe Scribblenauts Unlimited, Batman or AC3 depending on how they turn out. I never bothered with Arkham City on my PS3 or PC, but perhaps I'll bite as a launch title.

Plus some eshop titles like Trine 2 and Chasing Aurora.

Although I assume a few of the titles I listed are not strictly launch but launch window.

Nice, a thread where I can feel safe as long as I don't talk about Sony.
And Thraktor's post should be quoted at the top of every page, seriously.
I want to believe it, but I'm too cynical after the year of waiting and Nintendo's obsession with secrecy. I can't wait for someone to rip one of those babies open so we can finally have some more info on this hardware. I'd say it's worth $350 at launch if this is true. It certainly wouldn't be worth much if it's actually weaker than Thraktor's post described.

Gahiggidy

How much can you learn about the hardware by taking it apart, anyways?

Xellos

White Wii U
Black Pro Controller
New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
Nintendo Land
P-100
Rayman Legends
Assassin's Creed 3
Zombi U

Might double dip on Arkham City if the price is low enough or if the game is somehow remixed (e.g. Riddler challenges) from the current version. I'd also consider Wii Fit if it's a digital release.

I still feel incredibly let down by the conference and I'm not sold on the launch window lineup. I'd be on board if the gamepad can do Wii game streaming but historically, with the way Nintendo does BC, this doesn't seem likely.

However, I'm very eager to see more.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So, what sources have been confirmed to be full of shit? Paul Gale, obviously. Not only did admit the Star Fox x Metroid was wrong, but he got information on Mirror of Fate wrong, and he said LoS2 was coming to Wii U (actually, he said this after other sites said this and then claimed it was his own rumor).

White Wii U
NSMBU
AC3
Pikmin 3 (if it is there)
Nintendo Land (if not packed in)

Next wave shortly after launch (or for gifts)
ZombiU
Rayman

jacksrb

- White Wii U
- NintendoLand [downloaded to the system]
- NSMBU or Pikmin 3
- 1 Core game [B:AC, ACIII, BLOPS2, or ZombiU]
- Hard Drive?

This is where it gets difficult. Lots of ways to go. Might buy less games this generation and get a GameFly subscription.

Gahiggidy

So, do you guys think the regulars from the WUST thread's will get together to form a NintenGaf friends list in the Miiverse?

Which raises the question, how would that work with Miiverse? Will we be able to set up separate friends-lists? One for real life family and friends, another for all my nintenthings from neoGaf?

Will we have to setup separate accounts and Miis to make this work?

Eradicate

I was looking for a new speculation thread and found this one! I assume this is a continuation of the juggernaut speculation thread from before E3?

Anyways, if it hasn't been discussed yet, Reggie said that people will be pleasantly surprised by the pricing of the Wii U.

Now, this is the man that extolled the virtues of value for the 3DS and that ended awkwardly. But, do you all think he learned his lesson from that? Is he truly pointing towards something?

I really think this console will be between $250-300, with a pack-in game, some cool onboard software/games to play with, and possibly a Wiimote and nunchuck. I think they know they need to have value here, and maybe such a set would do that (in their eyes). This all assumes he's not blowing smoke though.

As for the friends list thing...I read somewhere that each Wii U can have 12 totally different accounts on it. I figure if they have that sort of high limit per console, that you'd be able to at least do different types of "friends." All speculation, of course, but it's a speculation thread!

Gahiggidy

So, what sources have been confirmed to be full of shit? Paul Gale, obviously. Not only did admit the Star Fox x Metroid was wrong, but he got information on Mirror of Fate wrong, and he said LoS2 was coming to Wii U (actually, he said this after other sites said this and then claimed it was his own rumor).

I'd wait for the Japanese centric games announcements to judge Mr. Gale on the LoS2 thing. And from the very start he warned the SFxM could be totally wrong. (And technically, we have NOT SEEN OR KNOW what Retro is working on.)

I'm pretty sure Reggie Fils-aime has been discredited this time around. He used to be a pretty substantial source of prime information, but I hear that a lot of what he'd been saying was debunked in the past week.

So, do you guys think the regulars from the WUST thread's will get together to form a NintenGaf friends list in the Miiverse?

Which begs the question, how would that work with Miiverse? Will we be able to set up separate friends-lists? One for real life family and friends, another for all my nintenthings from neoGaf?

Will we have to setup separate accounts and Miis to make this work?

If we can't form our own groups, then we'll just wait until DudeBro II is ported to the system then just generally hang out there.

It raises the question. Begging the question means something entirely different from what you're trying to say there. Don't make me English you to death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom