• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see we're back! Hey guys.

How about that conference?

Anyway, I for one am extremely happy that Pikmin 3 uses the Wiimote.

Oh, and I'm thinking a solid $299 with Nintendoland packed in.

Eradicate

So, what sources have been confirmed to be full of shit? Paul Gale, obviously. Not only did admit the Star Fox x Metroid was wrong, but he got information on Mirror of Fate wrong, and he said LoS2 was coming to Wii U (actually, he said this after other sites said this and then claimed it was his own rumor).

I didn't get to follow all the speculation threads (just the last one), but I think this is a good question to ask to see who of all the sources was the most correct, or at least closest. I figure there had to be at least two or three normal sources for "leaks" like this one that can be evaluated. It doesn't have to go deeper than that, but it seems a worthwhile endeavour.

snesfreak

Banned
$199 with Nintendo Land, NSMBU, 2 Wiimotes/Nunchucks, a Gamepad and a controller pro!
I'm not paying more than that for 2005 tech.
Am I doing it right?

jacksrb

So, do you guys think the regulars from the WUST thread's will get together to form a NintenGaf friends list in the Miiverse?

Which begs the question, how would that work with Miiverse? Will we be able to set up separate friends-lists? One for real life family and friends, another for all my nintenthings from neoGaf?

Will we have to setup separate accounts and Miis to make this work?

I am interested too. Had a pitiful 2-3 friends on my Wii, but hope to turn the WUST crew into a better friends list this time around. But yes, separate accounts with miis.

And we're back.

It's like coming home after a holiday where it rained constantly and the locals were abusive.

I know. Good to be back in my comfy PJs.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
With NSMBU, Rayman and Trine, the Wii U is quickly turning into the system of choice for fans of side-scrollers.

Nice to see we're back! Hey guys.

How about that conference?

Anyway, I for one am extremely happy that Pikmin 3 uses the Wiimote.

Oh, and I'm thinking a solid $299 with Nintendoland packed in.
TheExplodingHead, did you have a problem with the controls in the original Pikmin? Because I'm the opposite. I want the classic controls back and don't like the "Waggle" we have to perform in order to dismiss and "charge" the Pikmin.

JfWhC.jpg

Roo

If this is true I haven't seen it.

MyNintendoNews said:
Xavier Poix, the managing director of the French studio, also revealed that the recently announced ZombiU will be a launch title for the system when it launches later this year.

Source

That's for Zombi U tho
I'll try to get a more reliable source but I'm sure it is confirmed already

Fantastical

Death Prophet
With NSMBU, Rayman and Trine, the Wii U is quickly turning into the system of choice for fans of side-scrollers.

Isn't that always the case with Nintendo's consoles? :p Platformers in general are the one genre Nintendo doesn't have to worry about.

Source

That's for Zombi U tho
I'll try to get more reliable source but I'm sure it is confirmed already

Yeah, I know ZombiU is launch, but I don't think Ubi has said that about Rayman.

Still needs Super Meat Boy, damnit!!!

But yeah, their pretty much one of my favorite genres, and a Nintendo system without a lot of quality side scrollers is a Nintendo system not worth having.

Mistle

So I doubt I'll be getting a Wii U on launch which is a big surprise for me. However don't get me wrong, I think it'll end up being a fantastic console. Just on launch day there isn't much to pull me in...

I'll probably buy once Pikmin, Mario & Rayman are all out.

I'M HOME!!!!

*hugs jonny_boi for the OP and snesfreak for the link*

Felt so weird posting in multiple Wii U threads.

Still definitely plan to get Wii U easily. It was just frustrating knowing games are coming to it and they won't announce them right now. That's why I'm not bothered by how bad the conference was.

Instro

I'm kind of glad we have one these threads again, I feared all of our inside info would dry up without one. Plus its difficult to follow all the WiiU news without a catch all thread for discussion.

bomma_man

Black Wii U
NSMBU
Pikmin 3
P-100 (maybe)
Nintendo Land (maybe)

It's certainly nice not having to worry about getting extra controllers for multiplayer.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Right Away:
Pikmin 3
Nintendoland
Zombi U

Second Wave:
NSMBU
AC3

Tentative:

Darksiders
P-100

No Thank You:
Batman: Last Year's Edition
Ninja Gaiden
Tekken Tag
Wii U™ Panorama View

Effect

Who's going to buy it on launch day?

I'll be there. I've gotten over my disappointment with the conference. They'll have to do another and I remembered why I decided on getting the Wii U in the first place regardless of how it turned out and what Sony/Microsoft put out and it was Nintendo's IPs. Not all games they put out are going to be aimed at me or my personal taste when it comes to Nintendo and I'm okay with that. As long as there is some third party (used to there not being a big presence (especially western developers) on Nintendo systems sadly.) I'll be okay.

So come launch day I want to get the following.

Black Wii U
Nintendo Land (I hope this is a pack-in though)
ZombiU
Pikmin 3

The following are maybes at the moment. I want to play them but might wait a month to get them and not right on launch day. If Pikmin isn't there on the day of launch one of these might take it's place on the and I'll get Pikmin 3 later when it comes out.

Lego City Undercover
P-100
Assassin's Creed 3 (never played a AC game before but willing to give a shot).
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (largely dependent on me enjoying Arkham Asylum which I'm playing now for the first time).

I honestly have no interest at all in New Super Mario Bros U. I still have the Wii version that I haven't beat and if I need a Mario fix at launch there is still Super Mario Galaxy 2 which I never played . Actually considering getting it this summer but it should still be fresh by the time the Wii U comes out.

Terrell

So... was that 720p shit ever disproven? No matter what anyone says, there's no excuse for NintendoLand and NSMBU to be rocking 720p only.

Van Owen

Banned
So... was that 720p shit ever disproven? No matter what anyone says, there's no excuse for NintendoLand and NSMBU to be rocking 720p only.

As of e3 they're 720p with no AA.

Not really feeling a launch day buy. Pikmin is the only game I feel like I'd want to play, and I've never even been a huge Pikmin fan to begin with, so I can wait. All 3rd party stuff will be out on other systems too and possibly earlier, so I don't see any compelling reasons to buy the system right away, especially if I have more color options down the road.

Gahiggidy

Well... Nintendo's own stuff ran at excellent frame rates (noticed no stuttering at all)... so, its possible they were conservative for the E3 demos in order to guarantee everything ran smoothly. We might not see a boost to 1080p, but I think if they do leave it at 720p we will see some nice anti-aliasing for the final product.

Roo

Not gonna lie
I'm getting a WiiU mostly for first party games
But I have to say that ZombiU and Rayman Legends were the only titles so far that sold me the console

THIRD PARTY GAMES!!!!! shame on you Nintendo

Somnia

So whats the best place to really get some good ACTUAL gameplay videos of the WiiU games? Gametrailers is such shit.

There is if it's a rush job to get some 1st party games out at launch. You can almost guarantee the next ones will be 1080p just so Nintendo can say "Told you so".

Tentative:[/B]
Darksiders
P-100 <--- You know you want it. So many people are looking forward to it.[/peerpressure]

snesfreak

Banned
I'll definitely be buying ACIII, would rather get the Wii U version than risk burning out my video card with it's inadequate cooling.

Van Owen

Banned
There is if it's a rush job to get some 1st party games out at launch. You can almost guarantee the next ones will be 1080p just so Nintendo can say "Told you so".

Eh, they had parts of NSMB Wii U done last year at e3 where it ran at the same resolution with no AA. I doubt Nintendo gives a fuck.

BlackJace

I wish Nintendo didn't duck out of the online discussion. That would've been heavy information that would've salvaged the conference somewhat.

Miiverse is a start I suppose.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Yay, new Wii U thread!

The games that I will definitely be getting are:

-Pikmin 3 (I really hope they have it as a launch game. They've been working on it forever!)

That's it.....

The maybe list:

-Project P-100 (I need to see a little more of it before I decide but so far I'm liking what I see)
-Rayman (Love platformers. Complacent Mario needs some competition again...)
-NSMBU (Love Mario platformers X])
-ACIII (Looks interesting but I have never played a game in the series)
Oh and I hope Nintendo Land is a pack-in because I don't think I will be getting it otherwise.

On another topic, I was going through some Wii U news on Google and found out that Crytek was not developing anything for the Wii U (I thought they were considering how much they were praising it). I don't like seeing 3rd party bad news :/
But I was led to this NeoGAF post by Sardello. I'm very glad that, at least, the lighting effects on the Wii U will be top-notch. I hope to see some amazing lighting effects in Pikmin 3, Nintendo!

Gahiggidy

I'll certainly get P-100, but I might save it for the first "drought". This generation want to avoid having more than two unfinished games at a time.

Been avoiding posting in most threads, as the overall negativity of this year's E3 has made the board rather 'on edge'. I have no idea when I'll be getting a WiiU, but I do appreciate a good thread and place to discuss the console before launch. Anyway...hope to chat more some time. =)

Mojojo

So let's say you are all buying it at launch, ignoring the price, and black is available, what would be your shopping list?
-Rayman Legends
-Assassin's creed 3
-Zombie U

Dam weird, a new Nintendo console and all games I'd buy are Ubi's.

bomma_man

"Parts" is probably an overstatement.

Van Owen you killed GAF just then. Admit it. :p

So do you think depth of field is one of those 'built in' effects?

P-100, Pikmin and Lego seem to make pretty extensive use of it.

Also me, in one of the old spec threads:

bomma_man said:
I was thinking... Given Nintendo's anti hype philosophy when it comes game reveals these days (in the sense that the gap between announcement and release is very small) how likely is it that we'll only see launch window games at e3? I know we saw Kid Icarus at the 3DS's unveiling but that was never intended to take so long.

Got it in one :(

^ Good call. If only Nintendo would have said that at the beginning of the conference.

Not quite understanding the question, but when looking at what was shown last year those "reused parts" were clearly not finished compared to what was shown this year.

Gahiggidy

....(
Honestly, as nice as it looks, I'm already getting a little annoyed by the heavy use of depth-of-field effect in Wii U games. In game's with long draw distance, like Lego City, its ever present. And in games like Pikmin, it sometimes blurs out actual areas of gameplay (ie, you toss your Pikmin into an area that's has the effect applied.).

I'm looking at...

Black Wii U
Pikmin 3
Darksiders 2
P-100
One of NSMB, Rayman or Trine 2 (depends on reviews/demos)

Zombi U looks great but I need reviews
AC3 is likely as well

Probably won't be able to afford it all at once, that's enough gaming to pull me into spring easily.

Richie

ZombiU, Rayman Legends and Mario are my tentative purchases so far. Curious about Project P-100, Scribblenauts but not sold yet. I've yet to play any Pikmin or Assasin's Creed game, this could be a good place to start (Are the AC games continuity-heavy?). Now that Trine 2 is confirmed to be a downloable title, I'll probably get it. Would bet money on Nintendo Land being a pack-in.

I realize Mass Effect 1 is a Microsoft exclusive, but throwing a port of just the third game while the first 2 are foreign to Nintendo fans doesn't seem like the best plan. Does it even include anything new? After the outcry over its ending, it ain't a tempting option.

Are any of you guys going to give Ninja Gaiden III a chance? From what I've seen elsewhere, it's gonna be improved from its HD Twins' counterparts, and with Nintendo publishing it, I'd expect it to be slightly more polished at least.

Hope we get some megatons on that japanese-exclusive event next week.

japtor

Not sure about launch yet, but out of what's been announced I'm thinking (and hoping NintendoLand is a pack in):
NSMBU
P-100
Sonic Kart Transformed
Tank Tank Tank (depending on price)
Pikmin (maybe)

And what hasn't been announced but should be coming:
Madden (if it's on the current/new engine)

Probably something else I'm forgetting about that I've wanted too.
Am I foolish for hoping for a new 1080 Snowboarding? (More like Avalanche, less like an SSX-like games.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmFb1DNEDdU

My 14-year-old self loved everything about this game. (Yes, soundtrack included.)
Nintendo should free NST to make a sequel. Or have Monster Games handle development. I remember some not so positive impressions at the time. Usually calling out the trick system, saying it felt stiff or something. I felt it to be more realistic in terms of what you could do on a snowboard.
9000° Excite Snowboarding
So, do you guys think the regulars from the WUST thread's will get together to form a NintenGaf friends list in the Miiverse?

Which raises the question, how would that work with Miiverse? Will we be able to set up separate friends-lists? One for real life family and friends, another for all my nintenthings from neoGaf?

Will we have to setup separate accounts and Miis to make this work?
I'm hoping they do what they did with Mario Kart 7 where you can set up "communities", like you could create one for Gaf as a whole, NintenGaf, etc, and join whichever groups.

Richie

I'm hoping they do what they did with Mario Kart 7 where you can set up "communities", like you could create one for Gaf as a whole, NintenGaf, etc, and join whichever groups.

Communities were planned as an OS-level feature on the 3DS. Now's their chance, and I really hope they take it.

EDIT: Dayum, that was fast. Not even 2 days! Back to Community.

Terrell

Pixel counters confirmed it like they did with the tech demos last year.

How can a pixel counter confirm if a game is 1080p if, let's say, it ran on a TV with a max resolution of 720p, exactly?

Pixel counting only works if the displays are running at a resolution that supports a higher maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom