• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrayon

Again, if games like this are highlighted then I'm out. I like those between my hardcore Nintendo IPs but not as replacements.

Not really sure how Fire Emblem isn't a hardcore game- it's tough, has a small dedicated following and is from a pretty niche genre, certainly compared to Mario and Layton. To be fair, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek for the sake of a crap typographic gag there :-(

In 30 minutes, I'd say there ought to be at least two reveals in total for retail Wii U games, either completely unannounced or announced with no real details (Monolith, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2).

"Ought to" being the key words, of course.

It's an odd time to make an issue of their milking. It's not something that started recently, even though it's a bit more pronounced this time.

From 1996 to 2002 there was only one new Mario game released. (SMS) So it's not always been this. Not saying I want to wait 6 years on new games, but some time off wouldnt be a bad idea imo.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
1VWTK12.gif

Oh man perfect realization. Good day sir.

DaBoss

Iwata: "This time, the plan is a bit different from a regular Direct, in that I'll be talking about what kind of Wii U titles and services Nintendo is developing."
Oh my. Name drops are enough for me.
Alright? How can I get hyped from this? I don't really see it.

Exactly, I am not going to board on hype train that might crash into city.

For people who hoped for Smash, it's not going to happens. Sakurai haven't retweet or tweet about Nintendo Direct yet. Last time he retweeted Nintendo Direct, it was the direct that announced Namco-Bandai working on SSB4.
nofunallowed.jpg >_>

God damn, this is amazing.

Revven

From 1996 to 2002 there was only one new Mario game released. (SMS) So it's not always been this. Not saying I want to wait 6 years on a new games, but some time off wouldnt be a bad idea imo.

If they want to stray away from market saturation, or people getting tired of Mario, they would be better off waiting on releasing anymore Mario titles after the next 3D one. Yeah, the 2D ones might hold off a lot of people pretty well between 3D Mario releases but what gets people so hyped for those releases are the lack of any titles in the series for awhile.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to run that risk because of what happened with SMS. Years upon years of hype building based off of how Mario 64 was led to huge disappointments with how SMS turned out. Had there probably have been some mainline Mario games in there somewhere between 64 and SMS the blow would have been less significant.

In any case, I'm lucky I already have to get up early tomorrow and don't have class until 9:45 AM EST. Pretty boss. I'm set for a Direct!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
this is a good point. Why would Nintendo spill the megatons now? People expecting Smash bros or Zelda is probably going to be disappointed.

They release financials next week which will probably make clear that they are not going to make their shipment projections for this year.

onilink88

From 1996 to 2002 there was only one new Mario game released. (SMS) So it's not always been this.

I'm referring to how Mario is generally "milked". Being that it's more pronounced this time with NSMB 2 and U being released so close to each other doesn't change that.

Not saying I want to wait 6 years on new games, but some time off wouldnt be a bad idea imo.

Now see, 2D Mario is nothing like 3D Mario, so the fact that we've already gotten two of 'em already means nothing to me. And it's not like if they announced it now it would mean that it'd be ready this year or anything. You wouldn't necessarily not get your "break".

jerd

There likely won't be any of Nintendo's heavy hitters in this direct, but something smaller like Wave Race isn't out of the question. Personally, I'm really hoping for a new IP that's really fresh and unique, but I don't expect to see that either.

Revven

Not really hyped for this, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is holding the big shit back for E3 to counter new console reveals.

I mean, obviously Smash Bros or Zelda would be E3 megatons. But at least announcing more future games would keep the future from looking bleak for most Wii U owners. People just want confirmation on games, actual announcements of them, instead of all the speculation on "oh what's the next mario kart gonna be like!?"

Something hype inducing could be anything from Monolithsoft's game to Bayonetta 2 exact details + release date.

TriGen

There likely won't be any of Nintendo's heavy hitters in this direct, but something smaller like Wave Race isn't out of the question. Personally, I'm really hoping for a new IP that's really fresh and unique, but I don't expect to see that either.

That would be amazing.

They release financials next week which will probably make clear that they are not going to make their shipment projections for this year.

Exactly. These announcements are critical so that the inevitable panic from investors gets muted by Nintendo's promise of a slew of new games, even if they are just name drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom